Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

ArchangeI posted:

Favorite small feature so far: maneuver nodes stay even when you EVA.

That was in the last patch I believe--nodes persisted on the craft they were created on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

ArchangeI posted:

You have to right click the engine and select Run Test.

e: it works if I drag all the stages around to make a blank one below the engine stage and then hit space, though

Kevsop
Jul 20, 2011

Pork Pro

pun pundit posted:

This should probably be "I would avoid switching to Steam in the middle of an update that taxes Squad's servers severely".

Good advice in general, but nothing seemed up with the site at the time. :shrug:

edit: And already gotten back to. But I'd still advise chilling for now if you were still looking to switch.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

xzzy posted:

Good point man, we should just ignore it and it'll probably go away. I mean there's no precedent or anything.

I'm not in favour of modstatistics or anything, but there were people in this thread literally calling it malware and implying that downloading it would immediately fill your computer with viruses, and treating any mod that had it like it had loving leprosy.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Is there a rule of thumb about where to do your deorbit burn in order to end up as close as possible to the KSC?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

DStecks posted:

I'm not in favour of modstatistics or anything, but there were people in this thread literally calling it malware and implying that downloading it would immediately fill your computer with viruses, and treating any mod that had it like it had loving leprosy.

xzzy posted:

It's also the give 'em an inch they'll take a mile problem. KSP mods are compiled C# code that isn't run in a sandbox. They can do literally anything on your computer and dump the results out onto the internet.

Obviously if that happened people would discover it quickly and start a riot over it, but I'd rather it just never became an issue.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ArchangeI posted:

Is there a rule of thumb about where to do your deorbit burn in order to end up as close as possible to the KSC?

Depends on your spacecraft, your descent profile, and how far out your orbit is.

Which is to say: No.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
I could swear I saw a mod on the forums here some pages back, but now I can't find it anywhere on the whole of the internet. All I know about it is that it included inflatable heat shields and floaties for splashdown, as well as some parts that allowed automatic firing of stages under certain conditions (fuel tank is empty, etc). Can anybody point me in the right direction?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Yes, this one reasonable post does in fact refute my statements that dozens of people were freaking the gently caress out.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

DStecks posted:

Yes, this one reasonable post does in fact refute my statements that dozens of people were freaking the gently caress out.

I'm not trying to refute it, dude. Trying to show that they had good loving reason.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

ArchangeI posted:

At 100k circular orbit I burn at 90 degrees away from KSC until my trajectory intersects with land on the other side of the planet. It's not exact but good enough for me.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

I'm not trying to refute it, dude. Trying to show that they had good loving reason.

No they didn't. Show me one person who actually had any harm befall their computer because of modstatistics, anyone at all, the tiniest degree of harm, and then you'll have good cause to scream MALWARE!

forfeit
Oct 5, 2008
I'm not sure if this is new behavior, but my Mk16 parachute is disappearing when reloading a quicksave after it was already deployed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DStecks posted:

No they didn't. Show me one person who actually had any harm befall their computer because of modstatistics, anyone at all, the tiniest degree of harm, and then you'll have good cause to scream MALWARE!

The objective is to prevent it from ever happening. You know, the proactive approach.

I know planning ahead isn't a strong suit for most people, but it really does matter. :v:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

forfeit posted:

I'm not sure if this is new behavior, but my Mk16 parachute is disappearing when reloading a quicksave after it was already deployed.

I had that happen, too, in the previous version - hilariously, though, IIRC the parachutes didn't actually -disappear-, the game just stopped rendering them. When the craft hit the altitude for complete deployment they just magically reappeared out of nowhere.

Alternatively, you might've had a physics jerk on load that ripped the things clean off.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

xzzy posted:

The objective is to prevent it from ever happening. You know, the proactive approach.

I know planning ahead isn't a strong suit for most people, but it really does matter. :v:

Proactive =/= hypochondria.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

ArchangeI posted:

Depending on most craft, you can aim for a 30km Pe above the space center (maybe a little easterly) and most likely not overshoot much. The rotation of the planet comes into play from interplanetary or even minmus distances though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Germstore posted:

The upper speed limit on the test x-part contracts tend to be really low (maybe it's intended as part of the challenge, maybe I'm too :jeb:).

Oh thank god, it's not just me. I took "test parachute" and "test decoupler" contracts with upper limits of around 500m/s, accidentally went to space, and zipped through the target altitude at around 1.2 km/s.

E: there desperately needs to be a way to enlarge the contracts window, it's way too tiny to be useful when you have to scroll to see even a single contract

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

ArchangeI posted:

http://imgur.com/a/tKq8l

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

DStecks posted:

Proactive =/= hypochondria.

People are having a strong response to it because Majiir's actions are insulting. With the opt-out system, he's going behind people's backs and presuming their consent, just to make sure that his KSP Modders With The Biggest Dicks website is as accurate as possible.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

e: it works if I drag all the stages around to make a blank one below the engine stage and then hit space, though

Jesus christ, is that why I can't seem to complete any test-engine-in-flight contracts?

Can't wait for 0.24.1.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
I love that these put me in these weird rear end situations. I have to test a liquid engine while splashed down, but I don't have wheels to taxi out there, which resulted in this...

It requires split second timing, because liquid engines like to fall off when they touch water. The second it splashes in the bay, I activate the upper engine. First attempt sent me back airborn...did not end well.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
I have a contract where I'm supposed to test the mega-SRB in Kerbin orbit. I don't even have the Skipper or solar panels yet to get it up or use a probe. I guess this would be a fitting last mission for Jeb.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Do you hate buying parts after unlocking them in research as much as I do? Worry no more!

From the creator of PartCatalog comes this request of mine: http://puu.sh/ag4WH/50380e4f36.dll

You'll need to make it a folder/plugins on GameData. No source provided since it's a simple request, so use it only if you're not worried.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

I have a contract where I'm supposed to test the mega-SRB in Kerbin orbit. I don't even have the Skipper or solar panels yet to get it up or use a probe. I guess this would be a fitting last mission for Jeb.

Don't forget you can tune the thrust and fuel with tweakables in the VAB.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I can't seem to get ownership over a kerbal I'm trying to rescue. In the scott manley video, a close approach seemed to do it but not for me.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
They fixed time accelerate = freeze rotation! I'm screwed.

Edit: Oh wait, nevermind, it was in physics mode.

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 18, 2014

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
There's something thrilling about rescuing a Kerbal that I didn't put in danger myself.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Fit sideways firing sepatrons/retro SRBs to capsule, and 4 or so to the test SRB (all staged together with stage separator). Get in the test zone, aim yourself retro and fire the test SRB until you hit 30km PE then stage the separators.

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

ToxicFrog posted:

Jesus christ, is that why I can't seem to complete any test-engine-in-flight contracts?

Can't wait for 0.24.1.

huh? All you have to do is activate the engine when all the conditions are met.

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

Am I the only one still having no luck downloading from the KSP store or patcher?

e: I guess complaining to the internet made all the difference, the patcher is going now.

Guy Montag fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 18, 2014

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Kevsop posted:

edit: And already gotten back to. But I'd still advise chilling for now if you were still looking to switch.

Lucky! No such luck on my end. I'm guessing the support people are probably home by now.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Update to KSP incoming on Steam now, it's... 238.6KB? I'm stunned it's so small!

EDIT: Nope, suddenly shot up to 429.8MB. Oh well!

Rohaq fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 18, 2014

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

They wanted me to test a decoupler and a stabilizer on the launch pad and I said, "okay."

This is my splashdown engine tester. It works most of the time.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Testing a Mainsail in orbit before I had 2.5m parts got me a cool 350k and like 80 science. Luckily I could use a Mainsail on the lifter, too,

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've decided to actually play the game come this patch. I was doing the tutorials and got up to the first asteroid interception tutorial. It tells me to use the node to burn, but when I start burning at the node the node time to burn goes up. I'm guessing this is because I'm facing away from the node, but I can't seem to steer the sattelite at all, so I can't line up with the node. Any tips with what I'm doing wrong?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Anyone notice that decouplers have lost most of their power?

This is x64... if it matters.

Edit; Other people are also reporting this on the forums. Seems it is a x64 issue.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 18, 2014

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax
Oh man, I just got a rescue mission

so hyped

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Mr E posted:

I've decided to actually play the game come this patch. I was doing the tutorials and got up to the first asteroid interception tutorial. It tells me to use the node to burn, but when I start burning at the node the node time to burn goes up. I'm guessing this is because I'm facing away from the node, but I can't seem to steer the sattelite at all, so I can't line up with the node. Any tips with what I'm doing wrong?

If you're already grappled to the asteroid, try releasing and moving the ship around to point the right way, then reattaching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Obama 2012 posted:

I could swear I saw a mod on the forums here some pages back, but now I can't find it anywhere on the whole of the internet. All I know about it is that it included inflatable heat shields and floaties for splashdown, as well as some parts that allowed automatic firing of stages under certain conditions (fuel tank is empty, etc). Can anybody point me in the right direction?

I dunno about heatshields and the like but the other one is probably Smart Parts.

• Locked thread