Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

It really is amazing how the most accurately written teen in big two comics is considered annoying and terrible by comic nerds. I love it.

Incorrect, Kamala has redeeming qualities. Quentin Quire is the most accurately written teen because he's a smug little prick right down to his try-too-hard-to-be-cool ironic t-shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
The cool thing about fiction is that it doesn't have to conform to every aspect of real life. It's prefectly possible to write teenage characters that aren't annoying (and in fact has been done plenty of times). My absolutely favorite series right now, being published anywhere, is Koe no Katachi which has teenage characters, some of who can be extremely hateable but all of them are also extremely compelling. Blue Beetle was a great comic starring teenage characters who could be goofy, dumb teenagers without coming off the way Ms. Marvel does to me.

I just don't get that out of Ms. Marvel. I think the story itself is boring, paint by numbers teen superhero fare and it's laying on the quirkiness too thick for my taste. I guess it's kind of hypocritical to bitch about Kamala while liking Aracely but Aracely's also a.) a sidekick and b.) has a bunch of other characters to balance her out whereas Kamala is the central focus so her hyperactive internet fangirl shtick is inescapable.

Edit: It's not like I'm saying "STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE". If you like it, like it. Read it. That's cool. God forbid I find the main character annoying though.

Suben fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 18, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Jesus Christ you people.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Suben posted:

The cool thing about fiction is that it doesn't have to conform to every aspect of real life. It's prefectly possible to write teenage characters that aren't annoying (and in fact has been done plenty of times). My absolutely favorite series right now, being published anywhere, is Koe no Katachi which has teenage characters, some of who can be extremely hateable but all of them are also extremely compelling. Blue Beetle was a great comic starring teenage characters who could be goofy, dumb teenagers without coming off the way Ms. Marvel does to me.

I just don't get that out of Ms. Marvel. I think the story itself is boring, paint by numbers teen superhero fare and it's laying on the quirkiness too thick for my taste. I guess it's kind of hypocritical to bitch about Kamala while liking Aracely but Aracely's also a.) a sidekick and b.) has a bunch of other characters to balance her out whereas Kamala is the central focus so her hyperactive internet fangirl shtick is inescapable.

Edit: It's not like I'm saying "STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE". If you like it, like it. Read it. That's cool. God forbid I find the main character annoying though.

no1curr

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Suben posted:

The cool thing about fiction is that it doesn't have to conform to every aspect of real life. It's prefectly possible to write teenage characters that aren't annoying (and in fact has been done plenty of times). My absolutely favorite series right now, being published anywhere, is Koe no Katachi which has teenage characters, some of who can be extremely hateable but all of them are also extremely compelling.

Did you literally just write a paragraph about "Why isn't this comic book more like a manga about middle schoolers instead of real life high schoolers"?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Honestly I liked the first couple issues of Miss Marvel, but eventually I stopped reading it for the same reason I stopped reading young avengers. I just feel like I am not in that demographic anymore. It feels like it is being written for a generation I am not part of, and that is totally fine all comics should not be geared to the same people. I do find that Doge meme thing super loving annoying though.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I don't care if it's accurate. Doesn't mean I have to like or support it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Unmature posted:

I don't care if it's accurate. Doesn't mean I have to like or support it.

Its not really accurate either, at least to teenagers at large. Maybe a certain subset but not all.

I guess its accurate to the Tumblr crowd, but those people are kind of insufferable so I wouldn't hitch my wagon to them.

Though I do love how "accurate" is just basically apply as many stereotypes as one can imagine.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yes please don't support well written, positive books about young women of color.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I like the fan fiction stuff and making her a dork. But stealing internet jokes and regurgitating them is just lazy and bad writing.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I didn't even know it was an Internet joke...

Unmature
May 9, 2008

notthegoatseguy posted:

I didn't even know it was an Internet joke...

So it was just a totally useless nonsense panel to you? That should be even worse. The only, ONLY reactions it can elicit are "I recognize that" or "what?" And maybe you could see it as she's just frazzled and saying jumbled nonsense, but that's not what's happening.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Teenagers never say or think internet jokes and run them into the ground!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but teenagers use internet memes in serious every day conversation all the time.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
And again, doesn't mean I have to support it or like it. That's annoying no matter how accurate it is.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I am a young woman of color who likes reading this entertaining comic book about a young woman of color and hope that marvel keeps the diversity train rolling. :)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just don't understand why it makes you guys so angry.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yes please don't support well written, positive books about young women of color.

Don't support books you don't like.

That seems simple.

I don't even really care about the drat joke but man it turns yall into such loving babies.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Unmature posted:

And again, doesn't mean I have to support it or like it. That's annoying no matter how accurate it is.

That's fine. But it's not lazy and bad writing.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not angry, I never used one exclamation point in a post about this book. Just disappointed. I was kinda enjoying the book and liked what it represents, but that's just plain lazy.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't even really care about the drat joke but man it turns yall into such loving babies.

Memes seem to bring out the worst in people who even find them mildly offensive. That said I'm only 2 issues into Ms. Marvel and loving it :)

Unmature posted:

I'm not angry, just disappointed. I was kinda enjoying the book and liked what it represents, but that's just plain lazy.

No really, what's lazy is a reader that can't disassociate their personal biases over a fictional character's.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 18, 2014

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Unmature posted:

I'm not angry, just disappointed. I was kinda enjoying the book and liked what it represents, but that's just plain lazy.

It's not "lazy." It's "accurate to real life." Lazy is not a catch-all word that means "personally irritating to me," and it's a really obnoxious pseudo-criticism.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

hope and vaseline posted:

Memes seem to bring out the worst in people who even find them mildly offensive. That said I'm only 2 issues into Ms. Marvel and loving it :)

I was talking about the people getting all pissy about people not liking it.

The people not liking it have been really benign.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Wanderer posted:

It's not "lazy." It's "accurate to real life." Lazy is not a catch-all word that means "personally irritating to me," and it's a really obnoxious pseudo-criticism.

I think it's lazy to take something you heard from somewhere else rather than create your own content. It's lazy when real teens do it too. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I was talking about the people getting all pissy about people not liking it.

The people not liking it have been really benign.

Eh, I disagree.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don't see how but who cares at this point.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't see how but who cares at this point.

Agreed. This is my last post about this lazy comic book that I'm no longer buying.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 18, 2014

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Unmature posted:

I think it's lazy to take something you heard from somewhere else rather than create your own content. It's lazy when real teens do it too. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Leave Roy Thomas out of this!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unmature posted:

Yeah well it's a Marvel tradition.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah well it's a Marvel tradition.

HOOOOOOOOO!

Have there been any big examples of this recently? I know Liefeld and Land were the most infamous ones. Land is still working there but I can't remember the last thing I read that he drew. Nowadays it seems like DC are the ones getting called on for being copycats.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Lazy is Bendis reading the internet to see who people think is behind his latest mystery then choosing a popular guess and making it the evil version of that character even though its completely out of character.

Lazy is not writing a teen character speaking in goofy online speak for a single throwaway panel that has no impact on the story that is being told by and large.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unmature posted:

HOOOOOOOOO!

Have there been any big examples of this recently? I know Liefeld and Land were the most infamous ones. Land is still working there but I can't remember the last thing I read that he drew. Nowadays it seems like DC are the ones getting called on for being copycats.

Avengers has the Justice League in it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

You should have seen the Watchdogs thread when it was revealed that you could hack billboards to display memes. Something totally optional with no mechanical benefit at all for doing it. Goons poo poo their pants in rage.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Unmature posted:

Never incorporate examples or experiences from real life into the art you make, gotcha.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wow

so mad

much meme

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Soonmot posted:

You should have seen the Watchdogs thread when it was revealed that you could hack billboards to display memes. Something totally optional with no mechanical benefit at all for doing it. Goons poo poo their pants in rage.

I think it's generally because they have a very short lifespan and by the time they make it to the mainstream it's already kind of worn out its welcome and by the time it's become referenced in something it's usually long since dead. Pre-social media explosion I guess there was more of a novelty of "oh it's that funny internet joke" when a reference popped up somewhere but now that stuff spreads and dies faster than ever so by the time it starts being referenced you're already sick of it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I didn't know it was a meme at all because I don't keep up with memes. I just thought she saw Wolverine do something cool and was dumbstruck by it. So yeah it worked for me even though I'd never seen or heard of the meme before. Therefore I don't think it was completely lost on people that haven't seen it because I'm one of those people.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hand in your nerd badge right now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Of all the memes to be annoyed with, Doge is probably the least of them because that stupid dog has fueled some genuinely hilarious events.

It has a loving nascar car!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Deadpool posted:

I didn't know it was a meme at all because I don't keep up with memes. I just thought she saw Wolverine do something cool and was dumbstruck by it. So yeah it worked for me even though I'd never seen or heard of the meme before. Therefore I don't think it was completely lost on people that haven't seen it because I'm one of those people.

This is exactly my take on it. The whole Wolverine part of the issue is her freaking out over how awesome it is to meet Wolverine. The panel made total sense even without knowing whatever meme it is based off of.

• Locked thread