Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

DrSunshine posted:

weren't the spirit world and the material world supposed to be overlapping now? What's happened to all the spirits? Did we just drop the spirit thing after episode one, or what? Are there no spirits in Ba Sing Se?

I never really understood the "Seperating of the Worlds" anyway. Wan supposedly sent all the spirits back to live in the Spirit World, but even in ATLA Aang still encountered Hei Bai, the panda forest spirit and it was implied that the spirit Koh had access to both worlds, so what the heck? Did these just slip under the radar, or do spirits have the ability to astral project into our world like humans can in the Spirit World, and it's just now that the spirits can physically enter our world?
Also, thats pretty lovely of the spirits, they have their own entire world, but they have to occupy it and parts of the physical world, just to be dicks. I haven't seen any humans trying to colonize the Spirit World. If anything all humans would want is the shortcut between North and South pole.

X_Toad posted:

Aang already used an air blade against the "vine monster" in Book 2 of ATLA, it's nothing new. Although I'm not sure how well it would work against a human being.

I may be remembering it wrong, but wasn't he bending the water into making slices that cut the vines? Not that it matters much, in this show water cuts as easliy as air.

King of Foolians fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

King of Foolians posted:

Did these just slip under the radar, or do spirits have the ability to astral project into our world like humans can in the Spirit World, and it's just now that the spirits can physically enter our world?

I think before the portals were open, the spirits had to give up their immortality to enter our world; hence why Zhao was able to kill the moon spirit.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Read the debate on the last page and all I can say is that Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra are fundamentally different shows despite being part of the same franchise.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Read the debate on the last page

No thanks, it was a very tedious debate.

Edit: Wait, I just realized that you were probably just saying that you just read the debate, not saying for others to read it. Nevermind!

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 16, 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Asking others to read that would be a very mean thing to do.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I'm halfway through season 2 now and it's not great. Unalaq is a boring character and all the b-plots with Tenzin's wacky vacation adventures just feel completely out of place. And now... amnesia!

Still, Aubrey Plaza :allears:

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra are fundamentally different shows despite being part of the same franchise.

This is true, and I think both shows are better for it honestly, even if Korra stumbles on some parts.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm so glad Korra came out of the long darkness of season two. There's some good stuff in there (Varrick, the Avatar Wan two-parter, the Adventures of Nuk-Tuk), but for the most part it's so dire. And season three is so good!

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
The Adventure of Nuk-Tuk were awful and cringe-worthy. They ruined Bolin.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Hakkesshu posted:

I still feel like they're under/misusing someone who could otherwise be a great voice actress.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

King of Foolians posted:

I never really understood the "Seperating of the Worlds" anyway. Wan supposedly sent all the spirits back to live in the Spirit World, but even in ATLA Aang still encountered Hei Bai, the panda forest spirit and it was implied that the spirit Koh had access to both worlds, so what the heck?
I think some spirits were bound to some places in the physical world, and even when they crossed over that connection was strong enough to enable them to come back from time to time (the solstices mostly). Koh is a very old and very powerful spirit, and the two instances of him crossing over and stealing someone's face in the material world both happened at the North Pole, so I'm guessing that there is something there that enables him to cross over (the presence of the Spirit Portal, Tui and La probably helps).

Hakkesshu posted:

I would enjoy Aubrey Plaza's voice-acting better if they had made Eska a queen of sarcasm, but alas that wasn't to be.

nutranurse posted:

I still feel like they're under/misusing someone who could otherwise be a great voice actress.
I mostly question why, if they hired her to play someone who's almost always deadpan and blank-faced, they didn't have her bring the wits and lashing tongue that generally accompanies that face.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 16, 2014

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

King of Foolians posted:

So after seeing the past few episodes does this mean that spirit-walking is now considered an 'ultimate' form of airbending, like lightning, metalbending, and bloodbending are for fire, earth, and water?

Well it does link to the whole "spirituality" that the Air Nomads strive to maintain but the only people we have seen do that are Jinora and Aang. Maybe it is an ultimate form but I get the feeling that there will probably be a more practical bending that will come out of air now that we have more airbenders.

A friend of mine has a theory that soundbending or some type of sonicbending will be the ultimate physical airbending form. Can't remember what her justification was but I think it had to do with the fact that sound uses air, seeing as there is no sound in a vacuum, and so if an airbender was good enough they could manipulate the waves of sound and do some scary things with it, like tear down bridges :v:

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Dark airbending, sucking air out of people's lungs air embolisms, screwing with people's Kai flow spirit wise since they are spiritual?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Airbending: XTREME SPORTZ edition.
Need some extra hangtime? here you go. :c00l:

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Squirrel suits + airbending

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I always felt the back half of Season 2 was pretty decent. I will agree the Nuk Tuk stuff was silly, but it was very much a plot point to give Bolin something to do that wasn't involving the main story.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

I always felt the back half of Season 2 was pretty decent. I will agree the Nuk Tuk stuff was silly, but it was very much a plot point to give Bolin something to do that wasn't involving the main story.

The Nuk Tuk stuff was fine and came to a really fun conclusion. Bolin was a pretty useless character overall, but at least he wasn't Mako who is just The Worst. I just finished season 2 and yeah the back half was pretty good.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

The Nuk Tuk stuff was fine and came to a really fun conclusion. Bolin was a pretty useless character overall, but at least he wasn't Mako who is just The Worst. I just finished season 2 and yeah the back half was pretty good.

Mako's entire plot for the second season was garbage. He was just a source of ~romance drama~ for Korra half the time, and the other half it was him getting stonewalled by the most blatantly corrupt and/or ineffective detectives until he was framed for the terror attacks.

Really, the one guy breaking the rules and trying to solve the mysterious bombings also happens to have a bag full of cash and explosives in plain sight in his bedroom? Come on Beifong, you're smarter then that.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

well that's the other reason why Mako's plot sucked. The writers (creators? Guess it's the same in this instance) needed to make Mako look right but for some reason the only way they could convey this was to make everyone else look absolutely retarded in comparison, thus we have Lin Beifong, whom we have already seen display many reasons why she is the Chief of Police for Republic City but now she doesn't notice that her detectives are either on the take and delaying the case to bury it or are just THAT bad at their jobs?

I found that that whole arc was probably one of the lowest points for Korra as a whole, not only do we see everyone act like idiots to prop up Mako we also had to keep him in the romance spotlight so after Korra and him split off Asami comes back at him. Why?! What purpose did that serve except to bring in stupid teenage romance that nobody wants (unless the targeted Korra demographic still eats Twilight up) and the only good thing I remember coming from that was Bolin's "Korra's been gone for a WEEK?!?!" calling out.

Bolin was pretty insufferable last season too but you could excuse it as him allowing Varrick to continue inflating his ego and no one being around to force him to rein it in. Yes he did some creeper things but in retrospect you can chalk it up to a kind of awkward, goony guy who has never had the spotlight, it's always been Mako at the helm, so of course he would act like an rear end in a top hat, he's a celebrity and his boss is feeding into that every possible moment he can to manipulate him.

I actually like the evolution of Bolin's character, in season 1 we got a sense that he is a very nice and good-natured guy that doesn't really know how to really act on feelings he has. Korra probably never was going to pursue him romantically but she was nice enough to put up with his awkwardness and let him down easy because he wasn't doing anything wrong, she just wasn't interested in him. Then we move on to season 2 where he gets in an abusive relationship (at first) because he likes the idea of being in a relationship. He gets along well with Varrick because he shares a similar eccentric energy but doesn't have the raw confidence and esteem that Varrick has so it is easy for him to fall under Varrick's charms. Varrick feeds off of this naivety and uses it to corral Bolin under his wing and keep a hold of him while he does his other work. Bolin is finally pointed out the error of his ways and is still able to be the hero in the spotlight he always wanted to be by saving the President from being abducted but is also brought back down to the ground by Mako.

Now in season 3 we are seeing that he still gets overly emotional about any little thing, such with him immediately buying Kai's story and even after Kai countless times betraying his trust he still loves the little scamp. However what is important, and may prove to be more important as the season goes on is how his relationship with Opal will develop. They clearly like each other and Bolin quickly admits that he doesn't really know how to act when he knows a girl likes him, so he puts on the macho act because, well it works with Mako right? Logically it should work for Bolin too right? Thankfully Opal quickly points out that she likes him because he's a goofball and he shouldn't try to impress her in a way that is not true to his natural character.

I don't know how talking about how lovely Mako's arc in season 2 got me on the Bolin spiel but dammit, I really like Bolin ok

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I really do like Mako and Bolin this season. They've found that great chemistry that seemed a bit underutilized before, with Mako being a debbie downer while Bolin is stupidly excited about everything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The most frustrating thing about Mako's plot is that it would have been so much more palatable if Lin was aware that there was corruption and secretly acting to ferret it out, which gives a reason for her to be obstructing Mako openly but allows her to get a non-stupid thing later on. Instead of just WELP MAKO GOOD JORB.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

The most frustrating thing about Mako's plot is that it would have been so much more palatable if Lin was aware that there was corruption and secretly acting to ferret it out, which gives a reason for her to be obstructing Mako openly but allows her to get a non-stupid thing later on. Instead of just WELP MAKO GOOD JORB.

He's one of our best. :bravo:

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
I am hoping to see something redeeming this season for Lin. So far she's this badass chief of police, with no real backstory developed, no great feats and no real character building other then she use to date Tenzin.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Babygravy posted:

I am hoping to see something redeeming this season for Lin. So far she's this badass chief of police, with no real backstory developed, no great feats and no real character building other then she use to date Tenzin.

...have you seen the latest episode? She's a bastard with an estranged half-sister.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

Babygravy posted:

Though I will say the fact that she used to date Tenzin is actually a really interesting piece of character background for both of them. The fact that Lin clearly hates children, while Tenzin as the last airbender had to have them to carry on his people tells you a lot about both of them. It also goes a long way toward explaining Tenzin's relationship with Pema and the rest of his family.

It was one of the things that the first season did right.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

First Bass posted:

...have you seen the latest episode? She's a bastard with an estranged half-sister.

That's why I'm saying I'd like something to be made of all this.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Aces High posted:

I actually like the evolution of Bolin's character, in season 1 we got a sense that he is a very nice and good-natured guy that doesn't really know how to really act on feelings he has. Korra probably never was going to pursue him romantically but she was nice enough to put up with his awkwardness and let him down easy because he wasn't doing anything wrong, she just wasn't interested in him.
Uh. I thought she went on a date with him and then made out with his brother? That doesn't seem like letting him down easy.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Why do they have to have a romance subplot in every single season? Is it to satisfy some kind of basic contractual requirement? ATLA never played up the shipping angle as heavily as Korra did.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Probably in response to the crazy ATLA shippers. They saw the whole Kataang vs. Zutara debacle and thought 'wow, people must really care about this stuff! Let's actually put it in the show!' not realizing that actually having it in the show is completely unnecessary and, paradoxically, detrimental to people actually caring about it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Why do they have to have a romance subplot in every single season? Is it to satisfy some kind of basic contractual requirement? ATLA never played up the shipping angle as heavily as Korra did.
In season 1 Sokka has romance subplots with Suki and Yue, Aang has a crush on Katara, and I wanna say that Katara might have liked Jet but it's been a while since I saw that episode.

Zuko goes on a date with some chick in a later season but ends up with Mai, Sokka finally ends up with Suki (leading to a pretty infamous scene) and I'm sure there's a lot more I'm not remembering. TLoK doesn't have that much more than TLA.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Babygravy posted:

That's why I'm saying I'd like something to be made of all this.

That's not what you're saying. You said:

quote:

So far she's this badass chief of police, with no real backstory developed, no great feats and no real character building other then she use to date Tenzin.

...and you're wrong. We know she's a badass because in season 1 (just to be clear, "badass" wasn't her sole stand-out quality back then either) she was established as a salty master earthbender and metalbender who demonstrated her prowess a number of times in the face of an enemy engineered specifically to defeat her and her policemen, and while season 2 was bad for pretty much everyone involved, in season 3 we now have a full episode devoted to establishing her backstory with another on the way today. Your post might have slid past one or two seasons ago, or even two weeks ago, because we didn't know a whole lot about Lin back then, but you kind of just come off as an idiot posting it the week after the episode where we Meet the Family.

DrSunshine posted:

Spergatory posted:

Probably in response to the crazy ATLA shippers. They saw the whole Kataang vs. Zutara debacle and thought 'wow, people must really care about this stuff! Let's actually put it in the show!' not realizing that actually having it in the show is completely unnecessary and, paradoxically, detrimental to people actually caring about it.

This may surprise you, but the target audience of this show isn't solely jaded dinosaurs posting on a BBS forum/spergs incapable of relating. Trust me when I say that that poo poo sells.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
It also sort of makes sense for mid-to-late teens to be a bit more interested in things like romance. And, from what I gather, the creators always loved loving with the shipping part of their audience so it's a more direct way for them to do that. Hell, that's probably what all the stupid bullshit with the Mako/Asami/Korra love triangle was really all about. They've just now realized that it was stupid and nobody liked it.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
There's also the age of the protagonists. Aang hadn't hit puberty yet. Korra, Mako, Bolin and Asami are all 16-17, their hormones would drive them crazy...

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Korra was clearly made to appeal to kids who grew up with TLA but have since gotten older. It's not really a surprise that there's more of a romance angle.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
As a robot, I too cannot believe that a show whose characters are mostly teenagers and adults involves romantic entanglement.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The love triangle is dumb and played out, so staying away from that in favor of girlbromance and brotherhood is a good choice. Bolin's current plot is just a teen summer romance movie. "Boy meets girl on a vacation, flirts with girl without thinking, realizes there is an opportunity with her, then overcompensates and acts dumb" is a universal event.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

First Bass posted:

This may surprise you, but the target audience of this show isn't solely jaded dinosaurs posting on a BBS forum/spergs incapable of relating. Trust me when I say that that poo poo sells.

Not if it's done badly. What I was trying to say is that most of the time, shippers are gonna ship regardless of what happens in the actual show. The romance in Korra was handled so badly that a lot of would-be shippers were turned off by it. By emphasizing it, the writers kind of forgot to have the characters be friends first, so it just felt like romance for the sake of romance.

It's possible to write good romance. Hell, I like good romance. But Korra is not good romance, and was clearly not written by people who understand romance or why people like it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Spergatory posted:

It's the problem with the vocal minority. 90% of viewers did not care at all about the Kataang/Zutara stuff, but because that 90% was quiet and the remaining 10% were lighting up every tumblr and message board they could find, it makes them look like the majority and thus they're more more likely to be pandered too.

Barlow posted:

Though I will say the fact that she used to date Tenzin is actually a really interesting piece of character background for both of them. The fact that Lin clearly hates children, while Tenzin as the last airbender had to have them to carry on his people tells you a lot about both of them. It also goes a long way toward explaining Tenzin's relationship with Pema and the rest of his family.

It was one of the things that the first season did right.

Honestly I'd love to see an episode or two dedicated to showing Tenzin's generation in their younger days. I really like what they did with them all, namely that just because the Gaang saved the world doesn't mean they're exactly the best parents. It's a surprisingly realistic outlook for the series and every time it comes up it leads to some fantastic moments.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

:3:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Because the creators like writing romance stuff. It is unfortunate that they are garbage at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Episode titles for all episodes have been released

http://kidstvinfo.com/eplists/nick/the-legend-of-korra.txt

201 Jun-27-2014 A Breath of Fresh Air
202 Jun-27-2014 Rebirth
203 Jun-27-2014 The Earth Queen
204 Jul-11-2014 In Harm's Way
205 Jul-11-2014 The Metal Clan