Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Irae posted:

Now the "spam big heals for mark contribution" has been tossed around a few times, and I wonder if I made the very wrong assumption that the amount overhealed causes no enmity (that's if we're going with the direct relation between enmity and contribution).

Am I bad and wrong?
Yes you are entirely wrong, overhearing causes full threat. This is why you don't want to cast Regen or even worse, Medica 2, before pulls in normal conditions. Hunts are obviously another matter becuase you have a limited time to get as much threat in as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

How much does it matter that you do ~optimal damage~? I'm lvl 40 BLM and often do have to wait for a regen proc when I cast Blizzard III or Transpose, because I have no Scathe mana or something like that. Is it something that should greatly concern me? I'm not spamming Blizzard I or anything, don't get me wrong, I just sometimes might use Blizzard III one more time while my mana fills up, that sort of thing.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I guess I've been lucky with pubbies so far. Worst run was an SV where we wiped on the second boss because the summoner in the party forgot about the cannons, then the healer got smashed by touchdown at the end fight. The summoner kept using physick or whatever their heal is while I spammed potions when the dragon flew up. Thanks to holmgang we pulled through though.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Serperoth posted:

How much does it matter that you do ~optimal damage~? I'm lvl 40 BLM and often do have to wait for a regen proc when I cast Blizzard III or Transpose, because I have no Scathe mana or something like that. Is it something that should greatly concern me? I'm not spamming Blizzard I or anything, don't get me wrong, I just sometimes might use Blizzard III one more time while my mana fills up, that sort of thing.

The last time I gave BLM advice it turned out to be wrong, but I'm fairly confident that you don't want to be left waiting for MP regen ticks. What I do is cast Blizzard 3 when it'll leave me with enough leftover MP to cast Thunder 2, then I cast Fire 3 and my MP is full by the time the cast is complete. (Thunder 3 takes longer to cast than 2 and will leave you in Umbral Ice longer than necessary)

If the timing comes out weird and I know my MP won't be full when my Fire 3 cast is done, I'll toss out a Blizzard 1 as filler so I don't get back into Astral Fire short on MP.

If any of this is wrong, please correct me. I came up with this on my own, but I googled around and it looks like everyone does it this way.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Masterwork #2 done!

Any word on what the maintenance for last night was about?

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

SpazmasterX posted:

Masterwork #2 done!

Any word on what the maintenance for last night was about?

I just assumed it was to activate all the previous accounts that qualify for free weekend. While the maintenance seems kinda long for that, I do imagine it's a large number of players being flagged as able to play.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Also, god willing, some server stability preparations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I spent most of yesterday crafting, and I have half of my DoH classes to 15 now. I'm probably going to get the others to 15 and then take CUL to 37 over the weekend because of all the great and wonderful things I've heard about Steady Hand II. It is pretty cool to occasionally HQ something that I can use on my other newbie classes.

On top of that, I still have to work on story quests so I can get Grand Companies and my first mount, unlock some higher level dungeons, get GLD to 15 to unlock WAR, do my daily roulettes, go get some venturebux for my retainers... drat, there's so much to do in this game and I haven't even hit 50 yet. :v:

Oh, I also randomly ran into a hunt target just outside town in Central Thanalan - Ovjang, a mammet. He was all alone, not getting obliterated by the server, so I was able to tell my FC who came and helped me fight it. So I got my first seals and tomestones already. That was pretty cool.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Rei_ posted:

Also, god willing, some server stability preparations.

How do you hold hope still?

DizzyBum posted:

I spent most of yesterday crafting, and I have half of my DoH classes to 15 now. I'm probably going to get the others to 15 and then take CUL to 37 over the weekend because of all the great and wonderful things I've heard about Steady Hand II. It is pretty cool to occasionally HQ something that I can use on my other newbie classes.

On top of that, I still have to work on story quests so I can get Grand Companies and my first mount, unlock some higher level dungeons, get GLD to 15 to unlock WAR, do my daily roulettes, go get some venturebux for my retainers... drat, there's so much to do in this game and I haven't even hit 50 yet. :v:

Oh, I also randomly ran into a hunt target just outside town in Central Thanalan - Ovjang, a mammet. He was all alone, not getting obliterated by the server, so I was able to tell my FC who came and helped me fight it. So I got my first seals and tomestones already. That was pretty cool.

Yea you definitely want Steady Hand II. It helps a ton. Poor Ovjang though, he was just going to live out his quiet B rank hunt life and you took it from him.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ilifinicus posted:

Yep, it's the Disciple of War set. I have the entire thing (hat not visible since it is godawful, but I got it anyway) and I'm about 600 seals away from buying a weapon for glamour too. Not sure which one to get yet.

The helmet isn't so bad. Once you get the chocobo suit you can use that plus the IF DoH hat to cosplay as your IF crested barding chocobro. :3:

Glad to see the full set looks good together. I had been unsure how well it'd work before I saw a screenshot of the whole thing.

Kosher Pickup Line
Jan 10, 2008

Hair Elf
Hey goons, I haven't played FFXIV since September and I can see that a lot has changed since then. Which classes are currently oversaturated with people? Or has everyone pretty much leveled every class to 50 by now?

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014
Everything but tank and healer classes. Bard and black mage are the most saturated classes by far, but don't let that stop you from playing either one because they're both fun.

I leveled a scholar to 50 recently and it's the most fun I've had in a while.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Marvin Freeman posted:

Which classes are currently oversaturated with people? Or has everyone pretty much leveled every class to 50 by now?

I'd say PLD, WHM, BLM, DRG, and BRD. You're never gonna encounter a shortage of those.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

SpazmasterX posted:

I'd say PLD, WHM, BLM, DRG, and BRD. You're never gonna encounter a shortage of those.

Based on queue times over the past few months, by role there is a shortage of tanks, followed by a shortage of healers. BLM is the most common ranged DPS, and DRGs the most common melee, with melee dps being less common than ranged. MRDs are now the most common tank class. WHMs appear to be somewhat more common than SCH in queues, but this might be a side effect recently of hunts.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.

dangersandwich posted:

Everything but tank and healer classes. Bard and black mage are the most saturated classes by far, but don't let that stop you from playing either one because they're both fun.

I leveled a scholar to 50 recently and it's the most fun I've had in a while.

Pretty much this. BRD and BLM flood duty finder in droves; you'll usually find one of the two double or sometimes triple stacked in a CT party. BLM just got buffs and has always been a popular class, and BRD is the current faceroll low-difficulty decent-damage class. Ultimately, though, the popular classes will change, so roll whatever class you like. Plenty of people at least have a few classes at 50 and regularly swap between them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there a way to make the target facing indicator easier to see? I found while briefly playing Monk again that, especially on the last boss of Tam Tara HM, I was always losing the drat thing in the fury of spell effects (both player and enemy) and whiffing up my flank/rear bonuses.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Had the best thing ever last night while trying to level up some lovely alt dps monk. I ended up in Ifrit storytime for my roulette dungeon (I was level 21) and two of the other people were just sitting in cutscene for what had to be like 10-15 minutes. Me and the healer wait patiently, and they finally come out, and the tank just spams dance, and the bard pulls ifrit and just runs in circles around the room. After realizing the tank wasn't intending to tank, I punched Ifrit enough to pull aggro off the bard and we just roll with it. The nail spawns, and me and the healer whack on it while asking the bard to help, who just runs around in circles. Naturally we fail and we figure we are being trolled.

The second we spawn again, the same thing happens again and we wipe. I tell the healer to bring his A game, and the third time around I ate my top level food and popped all my buffs when the nail spawns, and I solo it down JUST before ifrit jumps into the air. After that me and the healer clean up and give a giant middle finger to the trolls. I don't think Schadenfreude is the right word but I was laughing my rear end off. gently caress those guys.

Anyway that is my dumb story.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kaedric posted:

I solo it down JUST before ifrit jumps into the air.

In normal and hard modes, Ifrit always jumps right after the nails die. (It's on a timer in extreme, though)

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

cheetah7071 posted:

In normal and hard modes, Ifrit always jumps right after the nails die. (It's on a timer in extreme, though)

He does jump if you don't kill it in time on normal mode too, so it at least has an upper timer (he blew us up twice due to this).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The mechanic they are talking about is that Ifrit jumps and blows you up. If you destroy the nails then you weaken him so when he jumps you don't die. If you leave the nails up of course he will jump and kill everyone because that's what he's trying to do in the first place.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Free weekend made me decide to give this another shot. I havent played since November? of last year. I didn't get very far, would I be better served just rolling a completely new character, or are there any bonuses I have for having joined right at the start that I might lose?

big sperma shot
Jan 13, 2011

Big Cock Jerk Off with MASSIVE cum shot.
Hi more BLM chat

When I do my last Fire before going into Umbral Ice do I want to check for Firestarter procs before doing my Blizzard III

It slows down starting the Blizzard III cast by a bit, but on the other hand I can get a few hundred extra damage if I do get a Firestarter

Thanks

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
You don't and instead want to use that for your next fire 3 to go back into astral.

The umbral rotation changes to B3, T2, B1 if you need filler then transpose and F3. The F3 is cast faster and with the benefit of a astral fire buff, not to mention that it's also free.

Should also add, even though the instant cast is negated by the fact that fire 3 is on GCD now, it's actually not a bad thing as it gives you another movement chance to use to plan your positioning.

Fishious fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 19, 2014

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

big sperma shot posted:

Hi more BLM chat

When I do my last Fire before going into Umbral Ice do I want to check for Firestarter procs before doing my Blizzard III

It slows down starting the Blizzard III cast by a bit, but on the other hand I can get a few hundred extra damage if I do get a Firestarter

Thanks

You can wait up to ~0.7ssm seconds (ssm being your gcd/2.5s) assuming you transpose at full mana again for Fire 1 (you should). So generally worth waiting a moment.

(1.8 * 240p/(2.5s ssm + t) = 1.4 * 240p/(2.5s ssm) <=> t ~= 0.7s ssm)

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 19, 2014

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
How hard is it to tank using a controller? I like tanking and I found the controller very workable, but I can't imagine not using keyboard and mouse to do it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'd say its workable, you'll have 2-3 basic combo strings you'll want easy access to, a few very important utility abilities (shield lob/tomahawk, provoke, flash/overpower) and then a bunch of important but not-spammed cooldowns you can shove onto alternate set ups.

It'd take some adjustment but I'm sure its doable.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Unlucky7 posted:

How hard is it to tank using a controller? I like tanking and I found the controller very workable, but I can't imagine not using keyboard and mouse to do it.

It gets the job done, though I'd say you'll have to be a little more on your toes with Paladin for target switching when in LLDR. I'm a little too used to tab targetting to controller tank myself.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dj Meow Mix posted:

It gets the job done, though I'd say you'll have to be a little more on your toes with Paladin for target switching when in LLDR. I'm a little too used to tab targetting to controller tank myself.

Well, you can still bind Target Forward and Target Back to the Cross-Hotbar. Finding a good place for them is another thing, though.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Annath posted:

Free weekend made me decide to give this another shot. I havent played since November? of last year. I didn't get very far, would I be better served just rolling a completely new character, or are there any bonuses I have for having joined right at the start that I might lose?

There's nothing new in particularly since November that'd be worth rerolling for, I'd say. Not unless you wanted to get on Excal if you hadn't back then, or felt more like trying a different race.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well, you can still bind Target Forward and Target Back to the Cross-Hotbar. Finding a good place for them is another thing, though.

Isn't this effectively what left and right on the d-pad do? Is there some functional difference that I'm not aware of?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Alakaiser posted:

Isn't this effectively what left and right on the d-pad do? Is there some functional difference that I'm not aware of?

Depends on your filter settings. Up and Down are always party members, but left and right obey your current filter. I..actually don't know if Target Forward/Back obey that too, come to think of it.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

There are a couple of controller shortcuts that are essential.

Cycle through all targets: ←/→
Cycle through party member list: ↑/↓
Cycle Up Through Enmity List LB+↑
Cycle Down Through Enmity List LB+↓
Cycle Through Alliance List (Forward) LB+→
Cycle Through Alliance List (Backward) LB+←
Cycle Through Enemies (Nearest to Farthest) LT/RT+RB
Cycle Through Enemies (Farthest to Nearest) LT/RT+LB

Cycling through the enmity list and targeting nearest enemies will save your rear end so loving much.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Oh right. I set up a filter so if I press LB+B, it makes it so my target cycling is enemies only. A sets it to everything, and X sets it to friends (only necessary for world/alliance content if I'm tossing heals). I actually forgot that I did that, since it's really instinctive for me now.

I did not know about cycling through alliance lists though, that's really neat.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What damage parser do people use nowadays, anyway? Are any of them any good (or at least consistently bad :v:) at measuring DoTs or is that still a problem?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I use ACT but I almost use it entirely for alerts on raid boss attacks and status effects.

As for tanking with a controller, that's how I do it on my PC. The only problem is I can never find a good button for hold-to-talk in Mumble. I have my controller bound so LB+RB and RB+LB bring up different bars, and I keep Defiance off of them entirely on like my Menu/Mounts bar so I don't accidentally hit it ever.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 19, 2014

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

What damage parser do people use nowadays, anyway? Are any of them any good (or at least consistently bad :v:) at measuring DoTs or is that still a problem?

Generally people use ACT, as far as I know. I forget how it handles DoTs but yes, it's still a problem, and it will continue to be so until they release a mod API (and probably even then since as time goes on it sounds like their idea of mod support is less and less useful). The issue is that nothing in the combat log or in the game's memory goes "hey! This is the damage that DoT effect X did, and this is what DoT Y did!", so the only thing you can do is calculate the average expected damage from the DoT based on other factors.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Oh hey yeah I never used any addons and such, what should I install? Also, I have a character on Excalibur, so how do I get into a Goon Guild?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Annath posted:

so how do I get into a Goon Guild?

Literally the first words of the OP.

big sperma shot
Jan 13, 2011

Big Cock Jerk Off with MASSIVE cum shot.

KaneTW posted:

You can wait up to ~0.7ssm seconds (ssm being your gcd/2.5s) assuming you transpose at full mana again for Fire 1 (you should). So generally worth waiting a moment.

(1.8 * 240p/(2.5s ssm + t) = 1.4 * 240p/(2.5s ssm) <=> t ~= 0.7s ssm)

Wait I'm supposed to Transpose into Fire 1 after Umbral instead of getting a half cast-time Fire 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

No, only when you have Firestarter. Context.

• Locked thread