Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
There was an issue with bitlocker bricking devices for the few that actually received the cyan update and were using bitlocker for corporate stuff. This is very likely the fix for that, it's also an assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
My 920 hasn't got the official update yet, but Xbox music is working again. By working I mean loads almost immediately rather then the two minutes it has been taking.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Shop I'm back in my L920 for the time being. Is there a way to get a soft vibration from the keyboard when I type, or any other kind of haptic feedback? Also, are they're any decent podcast apps?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Got my goon owned Lumia 1020 earlier today. It fits much better in my hands, and that camera really is something to behold. Too bad it's a bit slow though. Also, it's yellow :3:. Oh yeah, Xbox Music still sucks. Took five attempts for it to actually start scanning for music, and when it finished I had to restart the app to actually see it. Great job guys! :thumbsup:

I should be dogfooding my own app soon enough though. Having a device I can actually use on a regular basis will help out with that effort.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

Got my goon owned Lumia 1020 earlier today. It fits much better in my hands, and that camera really is something to behold. Too bad it's a bit slow though. Also, it's yellow :3:. Oh yeah, Xbox Music still sucks. Took five attempts for it to actually start scanning for music, and when it finished I had to restart the app to actually see it. Great job guys! :thumbsup:

I should be dogfooding my own app soon enough though. Having a device I can actually use on a regular basis will help out with that effort.

Let me know if you want help testing your music app.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It's all over the news, but 18,000 job cuts at Microsoft, mostly in the Nokia division across manufacturing and engineering, and X, Asha, and Nokia feature phones are dead. At least Microsoft is generous with its benefits, right? :ohdear:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

wookieepelt posted:

Let me know if you want help testing your music app.

When it's ready, I'll make it an open beta. It's not even close to that yet though. I'll post more as I update it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

It's all over the news, but 18,000 job cuts at Microsoft, mostly in the Nokia division across manufacturing and engineering, and X, Asha, and Nokia feature phones are dead. At least Microsoft is generous with its benefits, right? :ohdear:

Yeah, don't cry too many tears for software engineers, dude

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea that 18K hit seems pretty harsh if most of it is the Nokia side.

Though I wonder how many of the 18K will just get hired back once the reorg is in place.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Fuuuuck I hope mixradio will be okay

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

LentThem posted:

As The Verge reports, Nokia's popular MixRadio music streaming service (formerly Nokia Music) looks set to be divested from Microsoft's software portfolio.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

LentThem posted:

Blargh, getting better "radio" and curated playlists would've really helped out Xbox music too.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
MixRadio also managed to work legally in a lot of countries. It's one of maybe two options for that kind of service where I live. MS loves talking about monetizing emerging markets, as do other American tech companies for that matter, but it sure feels like they don't want to get their hands dirty getting it done. MixRadio will be better off separating.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I really prefer MixRadio compared to the spotify radio feature, especially as spotify seems to have trouble playing some local files on my PC and MixRadio won't play the same 5 or 6 songs in a row! If MixRadio ever dies I'm not sure what I'll do, especially as it plays genres that I actually like rather than "Oh, you like Rush? Let's just play EVERYTHING from the 1970s then!"

gently caress you, Rush is awesome! t:mad:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Well, the 3D touch phone got axed.
http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-kills-3d-touch-windows-phone-codenamed-mclaren

I suppose that shouldn't have come as a surprise. It's a feature that'll only be available on a single high end device that not many people would buy giving developers less of an incentive to utilize it. If it was cheap enough to implement on even low end devices, it could have stood a better chance. Oh well.

However, this potentially leaves Nokia Microsoft with no new devices for this fall. There is apparently going to be a flagship device for the Threshold update in Spring 2015 but that's still a ways off. Still, I wouldn't mind if they just put out an official 930 variant for at least T-Mobile or at least an official unlocked North American variant.

At this point, though, I just want a phone that'll let me tether off of my LTE connection. I tether often enough that I'm forced to limit my data connection to 3G/4G all the time to avoid the hassle of switching between it and LTE. Hence why I would prefer my next device to be officially supported by T-Mobile or if someone else took the trouble of checking for me.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
So is Microsoft's "mobile first" strategy to put out high end phones as often as new Xbox consoles?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Edward IV posted:

However, this potentially leaves Nokia Microsoft with no new devices for this fall. There is apparently going to be a flagship device for the Threshold update in Spring 2015 but that's still a ways off. Still, I wouldn't mind if they just put out an official 930 variant for at least T-Mobile or at least an official unlocked North American variant.
So the plan is to get two hardware generations behind now? Way to court developers and enthusiasts.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

So is Microsoft's "mobile first" strategy to put out high end phones as often as new Xbox consoles?

No it means putting office out first on iOs and Android before Win8/WP8. I think it's the right thing. Honestly just be glad they didn't just shut down WP8 right now.

I think WP8 has something like 18 months to do or for before they just shut or down and get on board behind iOS Android and Windows on tablets and up.

With as good as apps have gotten I'm not sure what advantage MS or users get from having their own mobile OS as opposed to well integrated apps and services. MS will probably skin Android with Xamarian + Visual studio (please do) or just shut WP down in 18 months.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Microsoft will totally have an iPhone 6 killer in fall 2016, just you wait and see.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

But they literally just killed the X line that was just skinned Android + MS services? If it does happen though, I'll be sad. My squares. :smith:

They're definitely coming out with another flagship soon-ish though, before Threshold: http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/17/5912289/microsoft-kills-feature-phones-in-favor-of-windows-phone

quote:

Microsoft’s devices group is planning to "shift our flagship engineering efforts towards new flagship products timed with the next release of Windows and Windows Phone," meaning we’ll likely see even more high-end Windows Phones for the release of codename "Threshold" next year. "To drive success in the short term, we plan to focus our high end go-to-market strategy on the Lumia 930, Lumia 1520, and other high-end products that we will be announcing very soon," says Harlow.
Of course, the 930 was announced a while back and is just now starting to become available, so who knows.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
By the time threshold comes out we'll all be looking at the Android desktop thread wondering with icon pack suits us best.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Stick100 posted:

With as good as apps have gotten I'm not sure what advantage MS or users get from having their own mobile OS as opposed to well integrated apps and services. MS will probably skin Android with Xamarian + Visual studio (please do) or just shut WP down in 18 months.
In order to get access to the Play store you have to use Google's services. There is little chance of MS's services breaking into any significant share of your Android userbase - why would you choose them over Google's stock offerings which will be better integrated (and like Google Now, actually loving available outside the US)?

And of course iOS will have the iCloud integration. MS keeps Windows Phone around because their services really don't stand much of a chance on competing platforms that already come with their own cloud solutions OOTB.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

CubanMissile posted:

But send out updates at a considerably longer spans of time.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Edward IV posted:

Well, the 3D touch phone got axed.
http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-kills-3d-touch-windows-phone-codenamed-mclaren

I suppose that shouldn't have come as a surprise. It's a feature that'll only be available on a single high end device that not many people would buy giving developers less of an incentive to utilize it. If it was cheap enough to implement on even low end devices, it could have stood a better chance. Oh well.
It could also - like Kinect - just not have actually worked that well in actual usage (even if it got that far).

Refusing to slather interface gimicks (ala Samsung) on your platform is hardly the reason WP isn't breaking into the mainstream. We know the only way for WP to gain marketshare right now - offer extremely cheap phones that work well ankd offer reasonable compromises for their price. It's no surprise that the only significant traction WP has had was with the 520, as it had little competition in its price range at the time - it wasn't a great phone, but for it price it hit the mark in terms of what it offered for that better than any other phone within that range at the time.

So as expected, Android has continued to improve where it's not completely poo poo on low-end devices, and with MotoG/MoteE, they're competitive in price while offering equal to superior hardware.

In the interim we got WP 8.1 which has improved things on the software front (largely) and the app situation has improved, but after a year of the 520 and Android offers catching up in hardware...we get the 630/635. They are not the 520 replacement by a long shot in terms of standing out from a price/performance/features perpsective, and with things like removing the camera button and ambient light sensor that are regressions, they're less agressive now when they actually need to be more aggressive with the new competition in this area.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
This thread depresses me.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Doomsday Jesus posted:

This thread depresses me.

Yesterday I had an appointment on my calendar with a location, Cortana picked it up, checked traffic, suggested a route and a departure time. The route made sense based on traffic flow at the time, and the leave time was accurate. I get in the car and tell the phone to start voice navigation and Here Drive comes up with a completely different route that will take me through the heaviest traffic flow area. Why the hell can't Cortana tell Here Drive to take a specific route, or even give me the directions natively?

As depressing as this thread is, moments like that end up being more depressing, because I have hard time imagining anyone actually using many of the features in 8.0/8.1 and thinking "this is good enough to ship".

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 18, 2014

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Maneki Neko posted:

Why the hell can't Cortana tell Here Drive to take a specific route, or even give me the directions natively?

Up until you thought of it, HERE Drive's purpose was to generate routes, not accept routes. That's an interesting feature idea but not really a fair criticism. So what you're really asking is "why doesn't HERE Drive communicate correctly with something that was invented after it was released??"

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Factor Mystic posted:

Up until you thought of it, HERE Drive's purpose was to generate routes, not accept routes. That's an interesting feature idea but not really a fair criticism. So what you're really asking is "why doesn't HERE Drive communicate correctly with something that was invented after it was released??"

I see your point, but better question is, "Why can't HERE be updated to accept routes from Cortana?"

Or, why isn't Corta a using HERE to create routes?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Maneki Neko posted:

As depressing as this thread is, moments like that end up being more depressing, because I have hard time imagining anyone actually using many of the features in 8.0/8.1 and thinking "this is good enough to ship".

Be happy you at least have Cortana. I don't get voice commands at all. :(

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I see your point, but better question is, "Why can't HERE be updated to accept routes from Cortana?"

It could be, but something may have happened that caused it to changes routes. When it comes to specific instances like this, I'm more likely to be forgiving of the software. It's not like Google Maps is 100% all the time. When they are working on it, I'm sure it did work for the vast amount of situations. It just failed here.

Now, things like Xbox Music, where nothing really works for anyone, have no such excuses.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 18, 2014

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Doomsday Jesus posted:

A lot of my complaints about WP stem from my impression that nobody at MS actually uses the phone and thinks about how they'd improve anything. It seems like everything is created in a sealed office somewhere, and nobody is ever out with their phone saying "I wish it could do this useful thing" or "why does it do it like this, this is unintuitive and clunky" and then making actual changes happen.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

LifeSizePotato posted:

A lot of my complaints about WP stem from my impression that nobody at MS actually uses the phone and thinks about how they'd improve anything. It seems like everything is created in a sealed office somewhere, and nobody is ever out with their phone saying "I wish it could do this useful thing" or "why does it do it like this, this is unintuitive and clunky" and then making actual changes happen.

Having been to the Microsoft campus before, everyone uses Windows phone. I don't think I saw anyone not using one who was not working on some iOS/Android app.

As far as I know, it's hard just to say "Hey, this sucks, I think it should function like this!". There is a lot of bureaucracy when it comes to these kinds of things. Being a developer at a software company, it's a pain to give feature requests to project managers where I'm at right now. It's gotta be n-times harder at Microsoft.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

Yesterday I had an appointment on my calendar with a location, Cortana picked it up, checked traffic, suggested a route and a departure time. The route made sense based on traffic flow at the time, and the leave time was accurate. I get in the car and tell the phone to start voice navigation and Here Drive comes up with a completely different route that will take me through the heaviest traffic flow area. Why the hell can't Cortana tell Here Drive to take a specific route, or even give me the directions natively?

I don't own a car, and live in one of the US's largest cities (which Microsoft has a large footprint in!) Cortana is absolutely useless for directions, because I don't drive. But it still handily reminds me to avoid certain roads on my way home because of heavy traffic :rolleyes:

The fact that the Artist/Album title on the now playing card doesn't direct you to the artist page anymore is infuriating- instead it takes you to the track list of the album you're currently playing (which there is already a redundant button for on the bottom right corner of the album art). So if I play Abbey Road, and then realize I meant to play Magical Mystery Tour, I have to pivot to the main menu, and re-navigate through the artist list. Oy.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 18, 2014

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

This goes back to Windows Phone 7. It worked, the Bing Maps worked extremely well, Music worked well, Wireless Syncing worked well, Contacts worked well with all the integration, etc.

Why in the hell did everything at the base get worse as the OS matured!? Sure the apps and functionality improved, but the CORE OS seems to have almost gotten worse while it got a few new features down the line.

I understand API and core OS code changes and such, but why in the hell could they not make sure they copied the core os Functionality over and made sure it worked AS GOOD or better, then gone from there?

Frik when you tapped the screen (annoying but whatever) to get Bing maps to tell you the next turn, it paused your song, told you exactly what you needed to know in a good clear voice, and then resumed your music exactly where it was left off at. Every other GPS app I have seen so far, either slightly lowers your music but not enough, or just tries to talk behind it and is completely inaudible. (This goes for both WP and Android experience so far).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Factor Mystic posted:

I have a hard time seeing how this isn't fair criticism, this is an experience that Microsoft owns end to end now. Are you saying that Cortana making suggestions that you can't actually do anything with is an acceptable user experience?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

LifeSizePotato posted:

It sometimes feels that, using WP, the OS devs did things to be different first rather than doing things different and better at the same time.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

LifeSizePotato posted:

I live near Redmond and there's windows phones all over the place. Both times I've picked up a device on a launch day there's been lines with a ton of MS employees in them. That's been the frustrating thing because it gives me the impression that they are using the devices and are happy with the way things work. :(

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

I live near Redmond and there's windows phones all over the place. Both times I've picked up a device on a launch day there's been lines with a ton of MS employees in them. That's been the frustrating thing because it gives me the impression that they are using the devices and are happy with the way things work. :(

I've heard that before, and I guess I didn't mean literally not using Windows Phones. I just can't imagine being Joe Belfiore and using his phone every day and dealing with some of the obvious stuff we put up with, and also not coming up with more innovative, clever or useful solutions for things. Maneki Neko's map thing is a good example and there are plenty more.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

I have a hard time seeing how this isn't fair criticism, this is an experience that Microsoft owns end to end now. Are you saying that Cortana making suggestions that you can't actually do anything with is an acceptable user experience?

It's a completely legitimate critique. Here Maps is the default mapping app on Nokia phones, meaning "Windows Phone". Even if MS never bought out Nokia, to not have proper integration with the map app that is the default on the oem that ships 95% of your phones just indicates a laughable lack of foresight. It's not as if 8.1 was a quick release ffs, they had plenty of time to foresee issues like this.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Maneki Neko posted:

This is, hands down, the thing that annoys me the most about 8.1. It honestly makes me wish I could just remove Drive and use the old WP7 Bing Maps "tap for next step" navigation.

It's not helped by the fact that Drive can't seem to properly deal with vertical height, so if a building is under a highway or adjacent to a highway, you're going to get directed to your destination: the highway shoulder.

e: Out of curiosity, does anyone know how the Xbox Music experience is on iOS? Is it better than on WP8 at this point?

Shrimpy fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

I'm so happy that we are getting BBM!

:suicide: