Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

if for some inexplicable reason you start a new game of Ambition Mode

After beating Ambition mode I looked at the game's achievements and saw there's one for reaching 100% subjugation in two battles that I never got. If I was a slightly more obsessive, chievo-hunting nerd I'd strongly consider restarting Ambition Mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Resetting the regions probably also allows you to get another copy of the treasure weapons.

Whether that's worth losing all of your officers again is up to you.

Oh yeah, by the way, there's an option to just reset the subjugation mode so you don't have to regrind the Tongquetai.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 15, 2014

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
If it's as easy to cheese gems as it sounds like it is, that sounds like the simplest way to make really broken weapons by exploiting bonds. 500 gems for +1 attack ain't so bad if you're getting thousands upon thousands easily. :eng101:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

straight jerkers posted:

Yeah I dunno, I kind of like using a lot of different suits even if they all can't clear fields in one shot. Just beelining for the best suit you can and steamrolling through everything? Of course you thought it was boring.

I didn't beeline for the best suit I could. I went for suits I liked and even those effortlessly wrecked everything. GX and Destroy are the fastest but no means the only. DWG:R's difficulty level is in the toilet and it isn't very fun because of it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Destroy is pretty hilarious. No matter what button you press it results in a 360 laser light show the kills everything in the zip code.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Dewgy posted:

If it's as easy to cheese gems as it sounds like it is, that sounds like the simplest way to make really broken weapons by exploiting bonds. 500 gems for +1 attack ain't so bad if you're getting thousands upon thousands easily. :eng101:

It takes about 60 consecutive battles on Hard (50 on Chaos) to end up with 9000+ gems, and the cap on those is 9999. If you've already got a decently leveled character with a 4 star weapon, it should take about an hour to do that if you're only doing the Skirmish battles.

I don't know how many gems you get from bonds, but the issue there is that the PC bonds require multiple return trips to the camp to get them to fire. So even if you grind from 0 to 100 bond in one string of battles, you still have to start and return to camp 3 times per officer to get all the bond events.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Whoever thought up the "Protect the Archangel" campaign is worse than Space Hitler. It's everything terrible about protecting field A from guerillas multiplied by a thousand, since you can't risk letting them attack the Archangel for any amount of time.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 16, 2014

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I really, really dig the final stage for Char's Counterattack. Tons of space, tons of fields, and the entire stage is utilized pretty well. Also, probably the first time I've ever paid attention to how a DW stage is laid out. Nifty.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Sindai posted:

Whoever thought up the "Protect the Archangel" campaign is worse than Space Hitler. It's everything terrible about protecting field A from guerillas multiplied by a thousand, since you can't risk letting them attack the Archangel for any amount of time.

Pretty sure this is the only campaign where I've gotten a restart due to game over. I don't actually know of a way to complete the second stage in any reasonable amount of time without the ship taking like 50% damage. As soon as I fly off to beat up some jerks, twenty guerillas decide to beeline for the ship from the other direction.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I discovered how ridiculously powerful 00 Raiser's ground SP is and am mercilessly abusing it. You just need to be on a field for about 10s so enough enemies spawn that using it once captures the field. Once there's a gap in the guerilla stream I just beeline for the nearest guerilla-spawning field and take it, then rush back to kill the next wave of guerillas and repeat.

Then I learned even regular trash enemies that wander into the area (or sometimes even no enemies at all!) can easily take out 10% of the AA's HP per map, but that's low enough to get through the campaign if you do the repair missions.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

00 Raiser is my typical go-to for getting rid of dudes right quick. It's just a shame that the S-plans you get through it don't have any armor whatsoever, which can make high-star play a little bit scary at times.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nemo2342 posted:

It takes about 60 consecutive battles on Hard (50 on Chaos) to end up with 9000+ gems, and the cap on those is 9999. If you've already got a decently leveled character with a 4 star weapon, it should take about an hour to do that if you're only doing the Skirmish battles.

I don't know how many gems you get from bonds, but the issue there is that the PC bonds require multiple return trips to the camp to get them to fire. So even if you grind from 0 to 100 bond in one string of battles, you still have to start and return to camp 3 times per officer to get all the bond events.

Bond gems are like 60-70 each go. Considering I also feel like messing with other characters at the same time, rebooting Ambition Mode sounds more fun than just a straight grind. :shrug:

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
DWG:R goons, is it worth buying that or picking up 3 used for $30 right now. I haven't played one of these since the first one, and I'm wondering what one plays better.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Which Dynasty Warriors game has the best Empires mode?

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

TheGreyGhost posted:

DWG:R goons, is it worth buying that or picking up 3 used for $30 right now. I haven't played one of these since the first one, and I'm wondering what one plays better.

If you haven't played 2 yet I'd recommend that over 3 or even Reborn. 3 has really bland maps and missions that overshadowed the improvements in combat mechanics, and while Reborn fixed that to some degree 2 still felt much more alive.

KoB
May 1, 2009

TheGreyGhost posted:

Dont bother with 3, Reborn is 3 but better.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

TheGreyGhost posted:

Reborn is easy, but personally I find it to be a lot of fun. I like 3's art style, but the map design is varying degrees of boxes connected by corridors, and while 2 has a lot of stuff going for it, it's horribly grindy and outdated. For example, let's say you want to have Kira pilot the Wing Zero. In 3 it's just a matter of unlocking Heero and using him 5 times in said suit, then it's unlocked for everyone. In 2, you have to get Heero to like you through the relationship mechanic, which means you need to have him on your team a certain number of times and if he isn't and you shoot him down, it's actually a penalty to Heero's relationship stat with you. Once you get him to the point where he worships the ground you walk on, you still have to do a mission to unlock his suit for Kira alone. Granted, Reborn's main problem is tiered unlocking, where say to unlock the Zeta Gundam for everyone, you have to pilot it 10 times as one of the canon pilots, to unlock the Duel or Buster, pilot it 5 times, and for some reason to unlock the Marasai for everyone, pilot it 3 times as Jerid. In my opinion 3 had the best unlocking system and the best graphics, but the gameplay wasn't that great, 2 had decent gameplay but the unlocking system was a nightmare, and Reborn has the easiest gameplay, decent graphics, but a meh unlocking system. I'd still pick Reborn over the other two on the basis of having the largest number of mobile suits to choose from.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I found ambition mode in DW8:XLCE fun and was kind of looking at DW7:Empires. Is it worth getting or would I be better off waiting for DW8:Empires?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'd wait for DW8: Empires. It's guaranteed to be better than 7, since the only downside that normal 8 had to 7 was the story mode (and, personally, Ambition mode). Since Empires doesn't really have a story then there you go.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Captain McStabbin posted:

I found ambition mode in DW8:XLCE fun and was kind of looking at DW7:Empires. Is it worth getting or would I be better off waiting for DW8:Empires?

7E is fun, and it was the first look at some of the new weapons in 8 (Arm Blade/Canoe). It doesn't have the Heaven/Earth/Man weapon thing, but that's not a big deal. I guess it's kinda like the beta for 8 and 8XL's Ambition Mode?

Easiest way to describe it is DW gameplay with some light RotK sim stuff on top. Just simple stuff like "be friends with this guy?" or "fight now, or wait?" There are different starting scenarios, you can make your own guy and be a foot soldier or emperor or whatever. There are different Traits and you build them up to have one dominant one like Rich, Compassionate, Evil, etc. The gameplay is still DW, but the battles have an emphasis on controlling supply lines by capturing bases. You have bodyguards like in 8's Ambition Mode and they can do some of the Feats from 8, but the selection is more limited. If you turn on "let others' Edit Officers in my game" you'll come across some funny creations that you can capture/kill.

I thought it was fun, but I honestly haven't played it in over a year. It looks like 8 Empires probably won't be released outside of Japan this year. So, if you've got the $ and really want more Ambition mode-style play on a slightly older engine, I'd say go for it.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Dynasty Warriors 8: Extreme Legends is at 50% discount in steam this weekend and I'm considering it. Sadly my game pad is poo poo, can this game be played comfortably with just the keyboard or has too much buttons? I played DW 4 and Samurai Warriors 2 with the keyboard with no problems.

Also, my computer is a little low on CPU, has anyone had trouble with that?

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Angry Lobster posted:

Dynasty Warriors 8: Extreme Legends is at 50% discount in steam this weekend and I'm considering it. Sadly my game pad is poo poo, can this game be played comfortably with just the keyboard or has too much buttons? I played DW 4 and Samurai Warriors 2 with the keyboard with no problems.

Also, my computer is a little low on CPU, has anyone had trouble with that?

As someone who wanted his DW fix despite only owning a lovely nongaming laptop, the game only slowed down appreciably if I had everything max settings while having a thousand dudes on screen. And some musous in crowds. Take this with a grain of salt, though, since I don't know how much my situation parallels yours.

If you're willing to play DW4 on keyboard, you can probably manage this game. For the most part you only need 8 buttons and of those, there's only one multiple button combination that's really important (weapon switch + musou). You might have to fight the camera without a second analog stick, though.

booksnake fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 17, 2014

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

booksnake posted:

As someone who wanted his DW fix despite only owning a lovely nongaming laptop, the game only slowed down appreciably if I had everything max settings while having a thousand dudes on screen. And some musous in crowds. Take this with a grain of salt, though, since I don't know how much my situation parallels yours.

If you're willing to play DW4 on keyboard, you can probably manage this game. For the most part you only need 8 buttons and of those, there's only one multiple button combination that's really important (weapon switch + musou). You might have to fight the camera without a second analog stick, though.

Good enough, after all this years without playing a DW game I have the irresistible urge to kill several thousand Chinese soldiers and experiencing the joy of stepping into Hu Lao Gate.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

fezball posted:

If you haven't played 2 yet I'd recommend that over 3 or even Reborn. 3 has really bland maps and missions that overshadowed the improvements in combat mechanics, and while Reborn fixed that to some degree 2 still felt much more alive.

2 is an insane grindfest. Do not buy it. Maybe rent it so you can see for yourself, but there's eighty tons of tedious bullshit in it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

2 is awful. Do not buy 2 unless you really enjoy really unenjoyable boring grinds.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yo, hot off the press from Famitsu: Bladestorm is getting rebooted as "Bladestorm: The Hundred Years War & Nightmare".

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Oh poo poo. Yes, please, give me more Bladestorm. I will eat that poo poo up.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Now bring it to the west and also to the pc

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So it's a new game? That sounds awesome, Bladestorm was really interesting, and I always felt if they got a second chance to refine the formula it could be something special.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

oh poo poo yessssssssssssss

I hope Edward still looks exactly like Mitsuhide.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

2 is awful. Do not buy 2 unless you really enjoy really unenjoyable boring grinds.

I'd rather play 2 than Reborn or 3. 3 was just endlessly dull and lacked any kind of variety in its missions, and Reborn is just way too loving easy. 2 may be grindy as poo poo, but at least it's actually challenging at times and has decent enough variety.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

English article about Bladestorm: The Hundred Years’ War & Nightmare.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat, I always thought it was a shame they never got another crack at Bladestorm, the core idea was pretty interesting, there just wasn't much variety and you'd seen pretty much everything in the game within a couple of hours.
I liked that it was the exact opposite of Musou games, individually you're worthless, it's the troops that are important. Also the almost dynamic battlefield with constantly shifting battles lines was pretty cool.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I liked that it was the exact opposite of Musou games, individually you're worthless

Counterpoint: some of the most clutch moments in Bladestorm came when, with all your guys dying around you, you break from your unit to rush forward and load a powered up heavy strike into the Base Commander.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I've not played Blade Storm (and never will, as I'm PC only), but I wish the regular soldiers were more important in DW. It seems like they squander what could be really unique gameplay by having them be so inconsequential. There should be a more dramatic effect to bringing a unit with you into a fight.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Anonymous Robot posted:

I've not played Blade Storm (and never will, as I'm PC only), but I wish the regular soldiers were more important in DW. It seems like they squander what could be really unique gameplay by having them be so inconsequential. There should be a more dramatic effect to bringing a unit with you into a fight.
Yeah, Bladestorm seems like the game for you. It's almost all about soldiers.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Sakurazuka posted:

I liked that it was the exact opposite of Musou games, individually you're worthless, it's the troops that are important. Also the almost dynamic battlefield with constantly shifting battles lines was pretty cool.
However, just like in the Musou games, halberds are all that matters.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I would say lance cavalry was the strongest unit in the game. A good charge would wreck pretty much everyone.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Poleswords were my go-to unit, strong against basically everything that mattered and did just fine against everything else, including stuff it was weak to.

That said, I was replaying it recently and as long as you kept every unit up to par on levels, they were all real useful and able to hold their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I just realized I probably missed a lot of stuff related to the NPCs. I remember meeting some pirate woman at the bar, but she never showed up afterwards.