Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm liking Android Wear a lot more than my Gear Fit. Although Google Now is frustrating with anything not distinctively American.

Like I went to a restaurant called Provence today, and getting it to understand that was impossible. And I want to make a note to get loonies for laundry, and it said "get luniz" in Google Keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinz
Feb 17, 2011

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Three Olives posted:

So I don't know if I should put this here but I've seen deals in the other threads so... some promo from LG came up on my Twitter feed:

http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/g3/rushtostore

I haven't decided if I am going to keep the phone, it's a black 32 GB if anyone is considering doing this.

So they gave out the phones to the first people in line?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

leidend posted:

"get luniz"

If my watch reminded me to listen to "I Got 5 On It" instead of reminding me that I have to do a van load of laundry for 3 kids, that may be a welcome respite.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sinz posted:

I'm heading to the NYC on today. Should be there in an hour, that'll be 1.5 hours early. Maybe I'll get a phone.

Edit not too bad a line here. Maybe fifty total people. Wonder how many they have?

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 18, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm heading to the NYC on today. Should be there in an hour, that'll be 1.5 hours early. Maybe I'll get a phone.

Edit not too bad a line here. Maybe fifty total people. Wonder how many they have?

Just ask, they did it at Verizon and AT&T in Dallas and I was super skeptical, I mean really 30-50 free phones? That's a lot of free expensive phones and they were like "Yeah, I can't tell you that you are going to get a free phone because this is LG's promotion, not ours, but believe me, you are fine, just don't leave."

Sinz posted:

It started out in the store, as we came in they took our names down and told us what number we were and just said hangout, do whatever until we tell you something, just absolutely do not leave the store if we wanted a phone, that they have a restroom and a water fountain. Which was fine, comfy chairs, free WiFi, U-Verse TV...

About an hour and a half before the free phones they herded us into a giant conference room and didn't tell us anything other than just hang out, we are waiting for the LG people. The LG people came about 30-40 minutes later and called us by name and gave us wristbands, free hats, and bottled water, there were more wristbands than people, presumably because there were more phones than people. There were more than 30 people in the room, I'm not sure how many because people kept leaving to go the McDonalds and other places and coming back and new people were showing up. DO NOT LEAVE, at least one person was at McDonalds when they were passing out wristbands and didn't get a free phone. Oh they also gave out entries to win a free phone which concerned us because like WTF, I thought we were already getting a free phone? They assured us that it was to win a second free phone, several people did up winning a second free phone.

Then they called our names again 5-10 people at a time, put us in a giant stupid line, had us sign what they stressed was an optional photo release, some super annoying AT&T guy tried to sell us accessories, then at 3:30 we went to the desk on by one, they matched us with our photo release, gave us a "receipt" and handed us our free phone.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 18, 2014

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

Just ask, they did it at Verizon and AT&T in Dallas and I was super skeptical, I mean really 30-50 free phones? That's a lot of free expensive phones and they were like "Yeah, I can't tell you that you are going to get a free phone because this is LG's promotion, not ours, but believe me, you are fine, just don't leave."

It started out in the store, as we came in they took our names down and told us what number we were and just said hangout, do whatever until we tell you something, just absolutely do not leave the store if we wanted a phone, that they have a restroom and a water fountain. Which was fine, comfy chairs, free WiFi, U-Verse TV...

About an hour and a half before the free phones they herded us into a giant conference room and didn't tell us anything other than just hang out, we are waiting for the LG people. The LG people came about 30-40 minutes later and called us by name and gave us wristbands, free hats, and bottled water, there were more wristbands than people, presumably because there were more phones than people. There were more than 30 people in the room, I'm not sure how many because people kept leaving to go the McDonalds and other places and coming back and new people were showing up. DO NOT LEAVE, at least one person was at McDonalds when they were passing out wristbands and didn't get a free phone. Oh they also gave out entries to win a free phone which concerned us because like WTF, I thought we were already getting a free phone? They assured us that it was to win a second free phone, several people did up winning a second free phone.

Then they called our names again 5-10 people at a time, put us in a giant stupid line, had us sign what they stressed was an optional photo release, some super annoying AT&T guy tried to sell us accessories, then at 3:30 we went to the desk on by one, they matched us with our photo release, gave us a "receipt" and handed us our free phone.

Argh. Just realized this was three olives. Did they check your bootstraps before they gave you the phone?

I'm in line now. Website says 9am is the give away. How long until you had phone in hand? Two hours? We asked how many they have and the people aren't saying. Yesterday the store had 40 for giveaway.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm in line now. Website says 9am is the give away. How long until you had phone in hand? Two hours? We asked how many they have and the people aren't saying. Yesterday the store had 40 for giveaway.

3 PM, they were very specific that they couldn't actually hand us our phone until 3PM but we had wrist bands that said we were going to get a phone at around 2PM. I think I got there a little before 12PM.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

3 PM, they were very specific that they couldn't actually hand us our phone until 3PM but we had wrist bands that said we were going to get a phone at around 2PM. I think I got there a little before 12PM.

Ugh. Hope I don't have to wait here until noon for a stupid phone I don't want.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You know there's an easy solution to this, right?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Get phone new in box, sell for $600, buy phone you do want?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

You know there's an easy solution to this, right?

Scrape me sideways jerk weed.

Pete and Pete reference

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RVProfootballer posted:

Get phone new in box, sell for $600, buy phone you do want?

Like I don't know how to do this. Have you met me?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Three Olives posted:

gave us a "receipt"

Was it a 1099? Being a $600 phone and right at the 1099 cutoff it seems like they'd have to report this and you're going to get taxed on it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

leidend posted:

I'm liking Android Wear a lot more than my Gear Fit. Although Google Now is frustrating with anything not distinctively American.

Like I went to a restaurant called Provence today, and getting it to understand that was impossible. And I want to make a note to get loonies for laundry, and it said "get luniz" in Google Keep.

Google Now on my Nexus 5 absolutely will not recognize the word Six. It always puts X.

Then one time I tried spelling it out, and it didn't hear the S and I and still just put X.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

Was it a 1099? Being a $600 phone and right at the 1099 cutoff it seems like they'd have to report this and you're going to get taxed on it.

Nope, I thought it was weird, no social, didn't check any sort of identification. I believe AT&T sells it off contract for $550 and the phone is marked "Not For Sale" on the box and inside the battery compartment but with just a sticker so maybe they are able to devalue the phone enough to get around any reporting but I won like $50 cash at a bar once and they gave me a 1099 so :iiam:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Hey guys, I've been having some issues with my Nexus 5 and I'm wondering if they're common or easily fixable. I have not rooted or otherwise done anything weird with my phone. Here's what I'm finding:

- When I get a notification from Facebook Messenger it doesn't open the app when I tap on it from the notification slider.
- Typing is a little bit laggy, which is pretty frustrating. I use SwiftKey, it seems like it takes a minute especially to bring up the keyboard and when I tap-type vs. swiping.
- Using Chrome has gotten slower. Scrolling can be janky, sites take longer than they should to load up.
- The phone gets warm sometimes even when I'm not really doing much with it.

Is this common for Android phones? I've only had it since March. Is there something I can do to get it back to its old snappy self?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

prom candy posted:

Hey guys, I've been having some issues with my Nexus 5 and I'm wondering if they're common or easily fixable. I have not rooted or otherwise done anything weird with my phone. Here's what I'm finding:

- When I get a notification from Facebook Messenger it doesn't open the app when I tap on it from the notification slider.
- Typing is a little bit laggy, which is pretty frustrating. I use SwiftKey, it seems like it takes a minute especially to bring up the keyboard and when I tap-type vs. swiping.
- Using Chrome has gotten slower. Scrolling can be janky, sites take longer than they should to load up.
- The phone gets warm sometimes even when I'm not really doing much with it.

Is this common for Android phones? I've only had it since March. Is there something I can do to get it back to its old snappy self?

Inconsistent UX, lagging keyboard, slow browser and inexplicable overheating? That's all part of the Android experience, nothing to be worried about.

Edit(so I don't get probated): Try closing all of your Chrome windows (sometimes when theres like 20+ in the background Chrome slows down), uninstall and re-install FB messenger, and do the same with swiftkey. As for the heating, you can try just manually resetting the phone, or if that doesn't help you can do a factory reset. Whenever it overheats it's because the processor is getting juiced which can come from unknown reasons including bad apps or too many processes or you just looked at it funny.

THE BIG DOG DADDY fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 18, 2014

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Didn't get a phone...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Didn't get a phone...

And the world wept.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Didn't get a phone...

Letdown Goon

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Three Olives posted:

Nope, I thought it was weird, no social, didn't check any sort of identification. I believe AT&T sells it off contract for $550 and the phone is marked "Not For Sale" on the box and inside the battery compartment but with just a sticker so maybe they are able to devalue the phone enough to get around any reporting but I won like $50 cash at a bar once and they gave me a 1099 so :iiam:

Ah. AT&T's mobile website was such a shitshow that I couldn't see what the off-contract price was, it only listed the 2 year price. I assumed it was $600 or more.

But in any case you're going to claim it come April, right? Because legally that's what you're supposed to do.

Bar probably gave you a 1099 because they wanted a paper trail for the cash, so they could deduct it on their own end as a marketing expense or whatever.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Didn't get a phone...

Thank god i didn't decide to take off work to head over there.

Give us the details, what happened.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

Give us the details, what happened.

Willing to bet it went like this:

Stood in line
LG gave away some phones
Jerk was too far back in line
Didn't get phone
Entered drawing
Still didn't get phone
Cried on the way back to work
Didn't get to flip free phone

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I was tempted to tell my coworkers in our Palo Alto office to go get in on it this afternoon, but I imagine that that one of all places will probably get slammed for sure.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hotsauce posted:

Willing to bet it went like this:

Stood in line
LG gave away some phones
Jerk was too far back in line
Didn't get phone
Entered drawing
Still didn't get phone
Cried on the way back to work
Didn't get to flip free phone

That's a decent summation, including the crying. However, I did convince several people walking by that they were giving away free prototypes of the iPhone6 and to get in line. Eventually when the guy with a PA on his belt started talking about it, I hope they left dejected.

I got several hats.

EDIT: They had 40 phones for giveaway and then ten for raffle. I was probably number 60 in the line. While I was there, about 20 people came out of nowhere and joined their friends in the line. Some dude flipped out and started screaming at the girl managing the line but they didn't do anything about it because it's NYC. If that hadn't happened I'd have easily been in the group that got free phones. But whatever.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Lblitzer posted:

If you need a phone that is QHD (hint: you don't) then go with that or a M8 or GS5. It's a solid phone that improves a bit on the G2, but the higher res screen doesn't provide many benefits. It still has the fastest processor currently and good battery life.
Not sure why anyone is recommending to NOT get the G3. It's priced at or below the other two mentioned, it has a beautiful screen, and a best-in-class camera. It also moves back to the standard face buttons from the goofy G2 options. I got used to the back button on my G2 in a day, and have come to really like the operation. Other than that, I'm super impressed with LG's power management. It's not just the huge battery, but it seems to be better at managing what it has to work with.

Also, you'll see that LG flagships have a favored status with some Google premier options. You'll see that the M8 is currently missing on the chromecast mirroring feature.
https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6059461?hl=en

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Civil posted:

Not sure why anyone is recommending to NOT get the G3.

Isn't that the one that had lag or something because of the insane number of pixels?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Isn't that the one that had lag or something because of the insane number of pixels?

That's the one! Also the S5, but that's probably just because Samsung.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Jerk McJerkface posted:

That's a decent summation, including the crying. However, I did convince several people walking by that they were giving away free prototypes of the iPhone6 and to get in line. Eventually when the guy with a PA on his belt started talking about it, I hope they left dejected.

I got several hats.

EDIT: They had 40 phones for giveaway and then ten for raffle. I was probably number 60 in the line. While I was there, about 20 people came out of nowhere and joined their friends in the line. Some dude flipped out and started screaming at the girl managing the line but they didn't do anything about it because it's NYC. If that hadn't happened I'd have easily been in the group that got free phones. But whatever.

Hahahaha, that's hosed up, did they do the 'chat and cut'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXz-fOtKBU8

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I got several hats.

Hah, I know what you look like.

edit: couldn't find a good creepy emoticon :(

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="432364942"]
Hah, I know what you look like.

edit: couldn't find a good creepy emoticon :(

Is there a video? I'm the white dude who is too cool for school.

Can you send me a link to whatever you are seeing? Want to see if they got my attempts at photobombing.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Is there a video? I'm the white dude who is too cool for school.

Can you send me a link to whatever you are seeing? Want to see if they got my attempts at photobombing.

I was like 3 people behind you.

I am not the person in my avatar.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Civil posted:

Not sure why anyone is recommending to NOT get the G3. It's priced at or below the other two mentioned, it has a beautiful screen, and a best-in-class camera. It also moves back to the standard face buttons from the goofy G2 options. I got used to the back button on my G2 in a day, and have come to really like the operation. Other than that, I'm super impressed with LG's power management. It's not just the huge battery, but it seems to be better at managing what it has to work with.

Also, you'll see that LG flagships have a favored status with some Google premier options. You'll see that the M8 is currently missing on the chromecast mirroring feature.
https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6059461?hl=en

Lots of reviews say the screen isn't so great. Weird persistent sharpening, poor colors, brightness throttling that kicks in very quickly and is very strong, and the only review that I saw that said it had super good battery life had to revise it because they made a mistake (so battery is fine, but behind the S5 and M8 I think). It isn't as good as it could have been.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

That's the one! Also the S5, but that's probably just because Samsung.

The S5 is 1080p, same res as the M8, the G3 is higher.

I guess I'm not not recommending the G3, it's a fantastic phone and I love how little bezel there is, I especially like the back button placement but the QHD isn't much more than a dick waving contest right now. There are very few applications where I could see it as a major pro vs the competition. In the end, I still think it is one of the top 3 phones to get but those top 3 phones are going to come down to personal preference.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Lots of reviews say the screen isn't so great.

I looked it over for a few hours, because hotsauce.

The text is kind of strange. LG's sharpening makes fonts look like they have a shadow backdrop. It's just...strange. Of course the spec pissing contest is won for now (bravo, LG) but a 1080p screen would be just fine.

The skin is literally Touchwiz by LG. Looks and feels really identical, but way more feminine.

The camera, at least in my short time with it, isn't all that and a bag 'o donuts. Low light photos were grain city. The LAZR was fast and relatively accurate, however.

It's slippery. Griptape for sure.

I don't get all of the internet swooning. It's a good phone, but not the best thing that has ever graced cheeto laced hands, IMO.

And I don't trust LG enough to think that "L" will land on it in 2014.

Returned it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="432365674"]
I was like 3 people behind you.

I am not the person in my avatar.

Where you the guy talking to the Grandpa from Florida? Because seriously, who visits NYC with their Grandkids and wakes them up at 7 am to wait inline to not win a phone?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Where you the guy talking to the Grandpa from Florida? Because seriously, who visits NYC with their Grandkids and wakes them up at 7 am to wait inline to not win a phone?

You, in 40 years.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yeah, but he wasn't their grandpa. He was their dad. Supposedly it was the kid's idea to do it, and it was only fair, since his sister made them wait 90 minutes to get into some famous bakery.

I know way too much about their lives. :negative:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="432366926"]
Yeah, but he wasn't their grandpa. He was their dad. Supposedly it was the kid's idea to do it, and it was only fair, since his sister made them wait 90 minutes to get into some famous bakery.

I know way too much about their lives. :negative:

Ha, I think once time maybe three years ago we went to a LAN NYC Goon Lunch at Food Parc. Maybe not, though. That guy was talking his way through the line wearing people down with his inane banter. He was their dad? He must have been 55, and they were no more than 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

For the LG G3 Giveaway, the Rancho Cucamonga store has 15-20 people in line already for ~30 phones. And I can't go until later because I'm dogsitting a big dumb chow chow :argh:

I offered my roommate $100 to stand in line for me and he refused. Probably because he knows he could just get his own and then flip it for much more than $100.

• Locked thread