Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

drat, is there anything more annoying than religious spam from your alternate-dimension self inside your head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Uh-oh, the most stubborn Ulf can potentially convince all the others to do pretty much anything.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Sindai posted:

Uh-oh, the most stubborn Ulf can potentially convince all the others to do pretty much anything.

I can see a bunch of angry Ulfs counterattacking and mindsquashing the anoying one.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

ZearothK posted:

drat, is there anything more annoying than religious spam from your alternate-dimension self inside your head?

Religious spam from three alternate-dimension selves. :haw:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I don't really care if Thorsby never goes anywhere with this strip, the jokes he tells with this premise are gold.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

As someone who became a vegetarian because of a girl I was seeing at the time, I approve of Ulf's choice method.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I guess the only question now is... Were the seeds of nuclear war planted before the first divergence, or after? That will determine whether it's a risk to a particular set of Ulfs or all of them.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
At least he moved on from the religion gag, that was swiftly getting old.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

This plan has been working too well thus far, I suspect some suits will be visiting Ulf shortly.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Here come the suits.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Today's comic went to a dark place.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Today's comic went to a dark place.

Yeah. :smith:

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
God drat. I actually got a little choked up there.

Thorsby, how can you evoke such emotion with such crude drawings?

Fake edit: also, shouldn't the thread title be changed to make this a general Thorsby thread?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Probably should, yeah.

So now we're moving to transdimensional investigation. This is promising.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Transdimensional Film Noir

All the Ulfs are going to want to spy on the same 15 women aren't they.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
So that's why New Mahlberg is in the middle of Texas...

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Jon Joe posted:

Transdimensional Film Noir

All the Ulfs are going to want to spy on the same 15 women aren't they.

Close, but predictable in the same way.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

That is Hollywood gold, alright.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Not really where I expected this to be going.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Prediction:

Ulf: Wait! She's said she has narcolepsy! Isn't that the sleepy disease or something?

Other Ulf: Maybe she said that as a test! Just keep walking or we won't get anywhere!

Ulf: What if it WASN'T part of the test?

Other Ulf: Then we'll know better next time!

Ulf: Next ti-- NEXT TIME? I'm a human loving being!

Other Ulf: Correction - WE'RE a human loving being. Now go and take one for the team. Or, you know, survive. That still might happen.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
"I'm in the same place as you, I'll just walk like you do and tell you where the cliff ends!"

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Evilreaver posted:

"I'm in the same place as you, I'll just walk like you do and tell you where the cliff ends!"

drat, you're smarter than I am. Problem is, you might also be smarter than Ulf is.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
"Woops, cliff ends 10 feet closer in this universe!"

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
Only in a Thorsby comic could we end up with a narcoleptic tester here.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

He was warned. Also he was stupid. Emphasis on 'was'.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

BiggerJ posted:

He was warned. Also he was stupid. Emphasis on 'was'.

Ulf is now "r-selected", almost to the point of being inexhaustible. There was nothing stupid about the plan. An individual Ulf is a small sacrifice for the collective Ulf to make in order to further it's schemes.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Well, that was going to happen.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Sizone posted:

Ulf is now "r-selected", almost to the point of being inexhaustible. There was nothing stupid about the plan. An individual Ulf is a small sacrifice for the collective Ulf to make in order to further it's schemes.

The plan is not stupid, but a single Ulf is stupid, much like a lone ant.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 19, 2014

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
He thought of "what if a bug flies into her mouth" but not "what if the known narcoleptic falls asleep"?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I doubt Ulf knows what narcolepsy is.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I was half-expecting him to die. That's the thing about making your protagonist infinitely expendable, I guess.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Carrasco posted:

I was half-expecting him to die. That's the thing about making your protagonist infinitely expendable, I guess.

My pet theory was that that Ulf would have been majorly hosed up but survive the fall and that would bump him up a few levels on the zealot scale because it sure takes a lot of faith to get yourself thrown out a cliff.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 20, 2014

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Wait, are we still following Ulf #1 here? I've completely lost track.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's a meaningless distinction now. All Ulfs are, from their own perspectives, Ulf #1 anyway.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I actually realized that a second after the post--though the distinction isn't so meaningless when you consider minor world-line/ulf-particular differences, like the design of the mansion or dying his hair. To be clear, I guess, it'd be "are we still following the Ulf we were originally following"?

Though now that I type it, I can't help but be suspicious of Green Hair Ulf. Is he coordinating all the Ulves? If so, how and why? Maybe he sold out to the conspiracy/the doctor who did the chip.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
All Ulfs are the Ulf we were originally following, but I'm fairly confident that the Ulf on the left side of this page is the one who we've been following for most pages of the story. He's Ulf AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA or something like that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah we've been following Ulf Prime for most of the comic, aside from the occasional tangent (often ending with that Ulf dying). Easiest way to tell is the hair, but as far as I remember this is the same Ulf who joined a cult, moved to Sweden, forgave whats-her-name for cheating on him, got rich, etc etc. I mean, I know most of the Ulfs have done that at this point, but it seems like we've been following one Ulf who does all that before the others.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I think we're lost in a sea of Ulfs.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Sizone posted:

I've just thought of something - r-selection is going to become a lot less useful if the rate of timeline-pruning increases too much, which is likely. This is because the likelihood of nuclear war increases over time, which would make each timeline more likely to drop out as time goes on. And, of course, it won't automatically turn into K-selection as the Ulfs begin dwindling too much because surviving means stopping or at least slowing the war, so an Ulf being better than the others won't help unless he makes some serious headway, which is a bit of a leap from where he is now.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

First test is faith, the other ones are all about how much fun you are capable of dealing with.

• Locked thread