Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Gruknor posted:

What level did you get your dnc to?

Only 57 or thereabouts. At the time, I was leveling solo (actually solo, this mainly being shortly after Wings of the Goddess had come out) with a little bit of Level Sync with a friend, and I eventually got to the point of having to take, like, 5-10 minutes to kill one thing by myself, which caused me to abandon the class (in favor of working up my subjob candidates) and after a while the game. I'm sure that it would go a lot faster now (especially since being a DNC main means I can use another DPS Alter Ego instead of needing to keep a healer out), but the aforementioned advice made getting THF up first sound more appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Gruknor posted:

Do not worry about capping your throwing skill. It has no real use other than pulling. For now just focus on capping dagger and evasion. What level did you get your dnc to? With the curent login event, you can buy items for the very last limit break. Items that would normally take you hours to farm. Those items are fossilized fang, fossilized bone and seasoning stone. Look up the requirements for that limit break before getting them.

To be honest, I have always wanted to cap Throwing.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Zero The Hero posted:

To be honest, I have always wanted to cap Throwing.

I hear it helps you claim HNM's faster.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

I hear it helps you claim HNM's faster.

Hey, there's finally a 119 throwing item in one of the bcnm.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Did Winfactory seriously transfer off to Valefor 4 days after coming to Quetz? My sources seem to think so but I want confirmation.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Seems like they did. None of them were impressive really, so nothing of value was lost.

E: Ya they gone.

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 14, 2014

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Grab trusts and start grinding solo. You'll want to at least start the process of abyssea so you can get some cruor and start tagging maws to teleport to when you see them. Touch every homepoint you see to unlock HP teleporting, as well.

This chart isn't terribly inaccurate, adjust for gov/fov books and make sure you're keeping up with skills and gear if you're doing classic leveling. Sparks are a great way to get updated weapons through 50.

I noticed something about that chart today. With the new way XP works, that chart is still good, just extend the time you spend at lower levels and start the higher level zones later. For instances I was running a level sync with my mule and my main with 3 trusts at Yuhtunga from 34-40 pulling in over 9-10k/hr using xp rings, tomes, and records zone quests. (Bonus xp for every 10 mobs is nice.) It also makes it easier to not pay much attention to what you are doing so you can watch TV or something at the same time without too much worry of dying.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

As I have no time to really play but want to keep my account around for the random breaks when I can actually get a bit of time in (usually while drinking on a Friday night), I've decided to slow grind up blue mage and collect all the spells while burning the sparks on rems tale pages for my 119 upgrades on either whm or rdm (both are at 109 now). One of these days I still need to get a Yumcax fight in to try for a tax club, how often do people shout for these nowadays?

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I've been debating resubbing for the same reason. I generally don't have time to play in the summers, but the odd night when no one is around it would be fun to work on another relic or something.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Skilling up in this game is still awful and should be killed off.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Holyshoot posted:

Buy skill-up pages.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Paladine_PSoT posted:

As I have no time to really play but want to keep my account around for the random breaks when I can actually get a bit of time in (usually while drinking on a Friday night), I've decided to slow grind up blue mage and collect all the spells while burning the sparks on rems tale pages for my 119 upgrades on either whm or rdm (both are at 109 now). One of these days I still need to get a Yumcax fight in to try for a tax club, how often do people shout for these nowadays?

Wildskeeper Reives are more popular than ever. With the ability to augment the ilvl115 wkr weapons and armor. To augment armor/weapons, you need to get a KI from participating in beating a wkr, which basically means you killed the nm. If you get one of each wkr ki, you can get one weapon/armor of your choice. This should be a last resort.

The JSE capes also allow you to pick one cape for three capes. Say I have the dancer, geomancer, and black mage capes. I want the thief cape. I trade the three capes I do not want, for the one cape I do. It sounds like a ripoff, but it helps a lot.

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

I've been debating resubbing for the same reason. I generally don't have time to play in the summers, but the odd night when no one is around it would be fun to work on another relic or something.

Resubbing is always a good idea. The goon ls has very few people in it that are not afk, but it is better than nothing. Dynamis currency prices are at an all time low, so now is the time to buy. Prices are going to continue to lower because the player economy is recovering from the lowering of Hakuryu. It used to be 10,000gil per fish to an npc. Now it is around 3,000 per fish.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Gruknor posted:

Resubbing is always a good idea. The goon ls has very few people in it that are not afk, but it is better than nothing. Dynamis currency prices are at an all time low, so now is the time to buy. Prices are going to continue to lower because the player economy is recovering from the lowering of Hakuryu. It used to be 10,000gil per fish to an npc. Now it is around 3,000 per fish.

Yeah I'll probably be back soon. Looks like Impact folded since I left (Guess they needed me that bad! haha) so Id def be on the goon shell more than I was the past year.

I made 3 relics off Haks, its sad to see it go. Though I'm not surprised. Insane SE let it last this long. Currrency doesn't seem as long as it was when I did Aegis, but it dropping in price is nice. I probably spent double making Spharai than Aegis cost me just cause of the boost from last year.

A mythic is tempting too. I got the assaults done, just need to drag some people for Ein and NI.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Yeah I'll probably be back soon. Looks like Impact folded since I left (Guess they needed me that bad! haha) so Id def be on the goon shell more than I was the past year.

A mythic is tempting too. I got the assaults done, just need to drag some people for Ein and NI.

Worse. Tab quit leading and Jezz took over. It's now "pillow talk" I think.

Mythics are going down in price. Alex is hitting 9k on quetz and sub that elsewhere.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Holyshoot posted:

Skilling up is really easy. Buy the Temachtiani sparks equipment. Three pieces are for combat skill ups, two are for magic skill ups. Get to level 99, and either skill up in an abyssea raptor party or skill up on a reive wall.

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

I made 3 relics off Haks, its sad to see it go. Though I'm not surprised. Insane SE let it last this long. Currrency doesn't seem as long as it was when I did Aegis, but it dropping in price is nice. I probably spent double making Spharai than Aegis cost me just cause of the boost from last year.

I am down for NI if I am on. I am not sure I have Ein access, but I am also down for that. Not sure you know this, but assaults can be soloed now. I think only a few of them can not be cheesed with cupper.

I was still need a saber shoot and opal silk to make my ebisu rod. I wish I had worked on it more, because now I actually have to farm dyna currency.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Gruknor posted:

I am down for NI if I am on. I am not sure I have Ein access, but I am also down for that. Not sure you know this, but assaults can be soloed now. I think only a few of them can not be cheesed with cupper.

All of them can be cheesed with All Seeing Eye (ask me how!)

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

frodnonnag posted:

All of them can be cheesed with All Seeing Eye (ask me how!)

I will bite. I thought All Seeing Eye did not work. Did you find a version that works?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Thank god for cupper. Went from ZM2 to having sky access in 4-5 hours. Is divine might soloable by a thf/dnc at 99?

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 18, 2014

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Gruknor posted:

I will bite. I thought All Seeing Eye did not work. Did you find a version that works?

I have an oldbuild of windower with ASE that worked as of a few months ago, it's only windower and ase with it on autoload, no other plugins work or can be used. It literally needs to be an older version of windower because w4 (supposedly) has a security check against using this. It will not work with windower 4.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

Thank god for cupper. Went from ZM2 to having sky access in 4-5 hours. Is divine might soloable by a thf/dnc at 99?

Original divine might? Probably. Have fun wasting time waiting for fullmoon+clear skies!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

frodnonnag posted:

Original divine might? Probably. Have fun wasting time waiting for fullmoon+clear skies!

Ffxi calendar is this Monday at 1:16am pst. FML. But suppammi is so goood

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

frodnonnag posted:

I have an oldbuild of windower with ASE that worked as of a few months ago, it's only windower and ase with it on autoload, no other plugins work or can be used. It literally needs to be an older version of windower because w4 (supposedly) has a security check against using this. It will not work with windower 4.

You mind explaining what All Seeing Eye is? This is new to me, and I can't find much on google.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

It shows hidden NPCs basically. For assaults it let's you see the rune of release before you beat the zone. You can't win the zone just by clicking it but it let's you trade the mythic books and get credit.
Assaults are some of the most unique events in the game though, outside a few lame ones. I dunno why you'd wanna just cheese them.

It used to also work for vnms. You could just see them walking around like normal mobs and go rest on them perfectly. This is what I used to use it for but sadly se fixed that.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Well, it sounds like you can't cheese them the first time through, and I know exactly why you'd want to cheese them the second 50 runs.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

Ffxi calendar is this Monday at 1:16am pst. FML. But suppammi is so goood

It's full moon and clear sky only. The zone frequently has cloudy or raining weather. It took me three moon cycles to catch it for mine.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Can multiple accounts tied to the same SE account login at the same time?

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Can multiple accounts tied to the same SE account login at the same time?

Yes, my Mulebacca's account is separate from Jewbacca's account. While Hansunni, Whimsicalquartz, and Leprilion can not because they can be viewed on the same character select screen. All of them are paid on one SE account. It makes it easy, but a pain in the butt to try and sell it.

Gruknor fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 21, 2014

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

frodnonnag posted:

Ashita has it as an addon also.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~
Anyone have any advice for a THF doing his initial Shattering Stars? I'm level 70 and I have every piece of +Steal gear I can wear except the Rogue's Ring, which no one has AH'd on my server since March and I've been unsuccessful in farming (had enough seals for eight orbs, 5/8 on getting the chest in Treasures & Tribulations, but only rings for other jobs). I've tried nine times (six before getting 70 and my Thief's Kote) and at the moment I can't even get the stupid Testimony in a timely fashion (been trying on Goblin Bandits in Cape, waiting until they're low health to Steal and standing behind them, and I failed 5/6 attempts), much less steal from Maat.

The usual places are filled with the normal voodoo ("Full Moon good, New Moon bad", "Steal is wind-based, so avoid Iceday") and misinformation (INT affecting Steal, etc.), so I was hoping to get some concrete ways to improve my chances (or confirmation that the voodoo works) or any other advice that isn't "grind 43 levels and do it on your WHM instead".

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

How about "leech 43 levels and do it on your whm instead"?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Copycat Zero posted:

Anyone have any advice for a THF doing his initial Shattering Stars? I'm level 70 and I have every piece of +Steal gear I can wear except the Rogue's Ring, which no one has AH'd on my server since March and I've been unsuccessful in farming (had enough seals for eight orbs, 5/8 on getting the chest in Treasures & Tribulations, but only rings for other jobs). I've tried nine times (six before getting 70 and my Thief's Kote) and at the moment I can't even get the stupid Testimony in a timely fashion (been trying on Goblin Bandits in Cape, waiting until they're low health to Steal and standing behind them, and I failed 5/6 attempts), much less steal from Maat.

The usual places are filled with the normal voodoo ("Full Moon good, New Moon bad", "Steal is wind-based, so avoid Iceday") and misinformation (INT affecting Steal, etc.), so I was hoping to get some concrete ways to improve my chances (or confirmation that the voodoo works) or any other advice that isn't "grind 43 levels and do it on your WHM instead".

Prepare the gently caress out for the fight. And then you'll be able to steal. I lost twice and then got protect and stone skin scroll from adoulin, and capped my evasion/daggers, and bought 15 pots, and I won on the first steal of the fight.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Zero The Hero posted:

How about "leech 43 levels and do it on your whm instead"?

My server (Sylph) doesn't even get up to four-digit populations at optimal times, and I rarely see anyone shouting for worm parties (maybe three times since I resubbed). Since I'm not even sure of how all the Abyssea stuff works for someone who is level-appropriate, much less the etiquette of getting strangers to let me leech under these sorts of server conditions, I've been trying not to rely on it.

Holyshoot posted:

Prepare the gently caress out for the fight. And then you'll be able to steal. I lost twice and then got protect and stone skin scroll from adoulin, and capped my evasion/daggers, and bought 15 pots, and I won on the first steal of the fight.

Yeah, I just see that happening. I've been debating/resisting just trying to fight, since I'd have to get a couple pieces of offensive/defensive gear just to have a reasonable shot and the AH is, understandably, on the bare side.

Copycat Zero fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 24, 2014

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Copycat Zero posted:

My server (Sylph) doesn't even get up to four-digit populations at optimal times, and I rarely see anyone shouting for worm parties (maybe three times since I resubbed). Since I'm not even sure of how all the Abyssea stuff works for someone who is level-appropriate, much less the etiquette of getting strangers to let me leech under these sorts of server conditions, I've been trying not to rely on it.

Likely your server runs Bugard or Raptor parties instead. Endgame battlefields require a lot of merits, plus the merit expansion, there's probably lots of abyssea on your server.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Copycat Zero posted:

Yeah, I just see that happening. I've been debating/resisting just trying to fight, since I'd have to get a couple pieces of offensive/defensive gear just to have a reasonable shot and the AH is, understandably, on the bare side.

Quetzalcoatl averages 550-600 most of the time. It gets to four digits on primetime during the weekend, but only if it is not a holiday. Your best bet to start an exp party is to form one yourself. Raptors in aby misareaux, are probably your best bet. It might take a few hours to get all 18 people, but it is worth it. Four people keying, the rest doing damage is great. Try to get a few blue/black mages to aoe the raptors. Melee DD, Mage DD, any DD is fine.

Things to be careful about are the raptors aggro on sight, you can only get exp from 1 up to and including 8 mobs, anything else is a waste. You also have to be careful about too many people being afk, don't be an afk nazi, just make people think you are. If someone is afk for more than an hour without a good excuse and someone else wants in, kick the afk person. The person that wants in, should help to make things go a little faster. Read the abyssea guide on the bg-wiki. That guide should help you learn about abyssea, especially abyssea lights and what to do with chests. You need pearl light(obtained from red chests and killing mobs with an auto attack), azure light(killing a mob with magic or red chest), gold light(red chest). Gold light increases the exp, pearl increases the potency of all lights, azure increases blue chest(blue chests have exp, cruor, temp items, and most importantly time extensions) droprate.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/43454 That link is to SE's attempt at making people less reliant on windower plugins/addons like spellcast and gearswap. I think it is a good idea, it evens makes the xbox360 and ps2 users better. Too bad most of us play on PC. What is everyone's opinion on this?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Why not just do worms or birds? They don't aggro.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Holyshoot posted:

Raptors are better exp, there is a safe spot near flux #7. So if you need to afk, afk there.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

Because worms can't move and don't aggro, you can't run around, gather 8 and oneshot aoe them, you've literally gotta kill worms 1 at a time. A handfull of aoe-ers can easily double, if not triple, the exp of raptor camp compared to worm. I've managed to break close to 300k exp an hour at raptor.

Hell, solo at raptor camp i can probably best the exp per hour of worm and cap my own lights.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~
So, I ended up just brute-forcing it with potion spam. It ended up taking me two tries, because the first time I didn't have access to an Opo-Opo Necklace, so I used my Icarus Wing to lead off and died with him being one WS away from conceding (using my Vile Elixir too early didn't help, since I might have gotten the few regular attacks I needed if I'd received the maximum healing). I borrowed my friend's Necklace for the second attempt (after leading him through Ifrit's Cauldron to get it in the first place, since he is a WHM and never bothered to do the quest when he did the Zilart mission), remembered to buy a regen drink this time, and ended the fight with about 75% health and fewer potions expended than my first attempt.

I tried for a desperation Steal when I ran out of potions on the first one, but I complete forgot to even try the second time.

Hm, okay, thanks.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

frodnonnag posted:

Because worms can't move and don't aggro, you can't run around, gather 8 and oneshot aoe them, you've literally gotta kill worms 1 at a time. A handfull of aoe-ers can easily double, if not triple, the exp of raptor camp compared to worm. I've managed to break close to 300k exp an hour at raptor.

Hell, solo at raptor camp i can probably best the exp per hour of worm and cap my own lights.

You can do the same thing with birds. And I've done 300k/hr at worms and 375 with birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

You can do the same thing with birds. And I've done 300k/hr at worms and 375 with birds.

yeah, it's really just any camp that has small sized mobs that preferrably aggro. The major thing that makes worms poo poo is that they cannot move so in order to cap out the exp per hour of that camp it needs more people spread out killing individual worms, opposed to a smaller setup swinging around and bringing in waves for a blm to nuke down.