Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Ninjasaurus posted:

There are plenty of comic book fanboys on the internet who hold the same opinions as Freep when it comes to these sort of changes so it's hardly shocking.

I'd never heard of Obama being called a Ferengi but it's because he has big ears right ha ha

I'd vote for President Quark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.
Where did the meme of Obama being insanely arrogant come from? My Freepy dad called me yesterday and said that Putin really punked him on the phone (I guess about the airliner shoot-down?) and said that he was worried that this would be what started a war. His reason was that because Obama was "just such an egomaniac that this would be what finally set him off."

Presumably this is a narrative that Fox News was pushing atm, because he usually just repeats their bullshit verbatim.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Badera posted:

Where did the meme of Obama being insanely arrogant come from? My Freepy dad called me yesterday and said that Putin really punked him on the phone (I guess about the airliner shoot-down?) and said that he was worried that this would be what started a war. His reason was that because Obama was "just such an egomaniac that this would be what finally set him off."

Presumably this is a narrative that Fox News was pushing atm, because he usually just repeats their bullshit verbatim.

arrogant is a synonym for uppity, hth

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
And to think that only a few weeks ago Obama not going to war over the Crimea was a sign of him being a weak president.

iamnotcreative
Jul 28, 2002
What, you expected something creative here?

Twelve by Pies posted:

But Captain America didn't "magically change" into a black man, Samuel Wilson (previously the Falcon) is going to be wearing the costume. It's just another guy wearing the suit, Steve Rogers didn't get exposed to a ray that turned him black or something. But then it's been proven Freepers rarely read past the headline of articles.

Freep isn't alone on this one though, I saw a guy on another site flat out say "Wait Captain America is black now and Thor is a woman? What's next, Asian Spider-Man?" Looking back now I kind of wish I'd told him about the 70s Spider-Man tokusatsu series.

Considering how closely Freepers resemble Ferengi you'd think this was a compliment.

Close, he was Black and Latino http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_%28Miles_Morales%29

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

ArchangeI posted:

And to think that only a few weeks ago Obama not going to war over the Crimea was a sign of him being a weak president.

Consistency is not one of their strong points.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Badera posted:

A lot of it actually comes from this picture from the 2008 campaign:

A black man? Looking up slightly? What an uppity arrogant man, definitely bad for this nation!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Notorious QIG posted:

A lot of it actually comes from this picture from the 2008 campaign:

A black man? Looking up slightly? What an uppity arrogant man, definitely bad for this nation!

Wasn't he caught in the process of trying not to sneeze in that picture?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Prism posted:

Wasn't he caught in the process of trying not to sneeze in that picture?

What no he was looking down on the white man, who he hates, since he is a Real Racist.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Badera posted:

All told they just kind of made it up then dug up whatever proof they could manufacture. Arrogance is bad, and democrats are bad, so democrats are automatically arrogant. Arrogance also usually carries the connotation of being prideful with no reason to be or setting yourself above everybody else when you don't deserve it. Oblammo does not deserve to be president so obviously he knows it and is just rubbing it in everybody's collective faces by, you know, continuing to be president.

It's useful to smear him.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Let's not forget that Freepers are 100% convinced that Obama is gay. I mean, it's not like any of their beliefs jive with reality.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Unzip and Attack posted:

Let's not forget that Freepers are 100% convinced that Obama is gay. I mean, it's not like any of their beliefs jive with reality.

I wonder sometimes about the ingroup mentality of FReep. I can't imagine that every member thinks Obama is gay/bi, but they constantly parrot this stuff as if to prove that they, in fact, are not fond of him - or MORE not fond of him than the previous poster.

As if saying a single non-derogatory thing about the president would result in a Zot. I'm not entirely convinced that it wouldn't.

quote:

FReeper 1: All Muslims are bad
FReeper 2: All Mooselimbs are bad and also pigfuckers
FReeper 3: All terroristsmuzzie scumbags are bad and also gay and also pigfuckers

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TLM3101 posted:

Come to the I/P thread. We have such sights to show you! :unsmigghh:

It has more pointless, circular, depressing arguments than the AusPol thread, but with none of the fun to get in the way.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Let's not get too-too cute; there are such things as MANPADS (man-portable air defense systems). Of course a MANPAD is pretty much useless against anything remotely fast or high. There are a scattering of cases of MANPADS taking out civilian aircraft, but essentially all of them involve hitting a plane just as it's taking off or landing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-portable_air-defense_systems#Against_civilian_aircraft

But even with that, Freepers are apparently saying that our border is so porous that tends of thousands of people and huge loads of contraband move across on a regular basis (which is broadly true), yet somehow the best way to smuggle in a $100,000 MANPAD for an act of terrorism is to entrust it to a 90lb pre-teen?

Not even slightly endorsing Freep fucktardery, just encouraging us to not be too disingenuous when Freepers posit a 98% fucktarded theory and we pretend that they really mean a 99% fucktarded theory.

They were actually talking about the missile that shot down the airliner.

A BUK system. Which the pictures are of.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
The 'ARROGANT LIBERALS...' thing was around a long time before Obama, and I think it's at least partly anti-intellectualism. Academia is perceived as being liberally biased, and a lot of the time social sciences (and other sciences, for things like climate change) contradict conservative positions. Assuming you're already conservative, it's not hard to get from there 'liberals are smug jerks who think they're smarter than anyone else'.

But yeah there's a reason it's used specifically for Obama, a black person aspiring for a position of power over white people is by definition arrogant by their standards.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
To be fair, it's not hard to find smug jerks in the faculty lounge of major universities.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

made of bees posted:

The 'ARROGANT LIBERALS...' thing was around a long time before Obama, and I think it's at least partly anti-intellectualism. Academia is perceived as being liberally biased, and a lot of the time social sciences (and other sciences, for things like climate change) contradict conservative positions. Assuming you're already conservative, it's not hard to get from there 'liberals are smug jerks who think they're smarter than anyone else'.

But yeah there's a reason it's used specifically for Obama, a black person aspiring for a position of power over white people is by definition arrogant by their standards.

For sure, and a lot of it in my dad's case, at least, is unvarnished racism, so I definitely get that.

Also, anyone who could say that entire academic fields are biased (especially to the left) is straight up living in fantasy world, if not engaging in a category mistake.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

made of bees posted:

This stuff is annoying since pretty much every GOP leader is loaded up with college degrees, many from the Ivies.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

Radish posted:

This stuff is annoying since pretty much every GOP leader is loaded up with college degrees, many from the Ivies.

Like how during the 2012 campaign, the GOP kept hammering that point home about Obama "spending too much time at Harvard," when Romney got 2 degrees from Harvard.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Going off on kind of a tangent here but has anyone ever literally "walked around with their nose in the air"? I've never seen this in my life, I assumed it only happened in cartoons, or maybe the distant past. What would even go through someone's head to make them do this? "Well my neck is really getting sore, but if I quit now, I won't look like Scrooge McDuck."

Ironically the only time I can imagine this gesture even making sense would be in a situation where you're expected to bow/lower your gaze, and you make a point of refusing to do it. Not something that really comes up that often, but of course it would be Obama who gets called out for this: the one person in America who is criticized by Freep specifically for bowing too much.

Googling "nose in the air" isn't much help but I do notice that 3 out of the first 5 image results are pictures of Obama, so I guess this is a thing. Argh.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

McNerd posted:

Going off on kind of a tangent here but has anyone ever literally "walked around with their nose in the air"? I've never seen this in my life, I assumed it only happened in cartoons, or maybe the distant past. What would even go through someone's head to make them do this? "Well my neck is really getting sore, but if I quit now, I won't look like Scrooge McDuck."

Ironically the only time I can imagine this gesture even making sense would be in a situation where you're expected to bow/lower one's gaze, and you make a point of refusing to do it. Not something that really comes up that often, but of course it would be Obama who gets called out for this: the one person in America who is criticized by Freep specifically for bowing too much.

Googling "nose in the air" isn't much help but I do notice that 3 out of the first 5 image results are pictures of Obama, so I guess this is a thing. Argh.

I think it's basically an exaggerated version of just generally looking down on people. Nobody really, physically, does it, but you see a lot of it as you said, in cartoons, or on Vince McMahon in the WWE. It's a way to visibly show that someone thinks they're above everybody else.

So, basically, they're marking hard on Obama's heel turn.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

TravBot posted:

Like how during the 2012 campaign, the GOP kept hammering that point home about Obama "spending too much time at Harvard," when Romney got 2 degrees from Harvard.

Santorum claimed that Obama wanted everyone to go to college (something Obama never actually said, like that mattered), and therefore he was a snob.

Reminder that Santorum himself holds one more advanced degree (an MBA) than Obama.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Santorum claimed that Obama wanted everyone to go to college (something Obama never actually said, like that mattered), and therefore he was a snob.

Reminder that Santorum himself holds one more advanced degree (an MBA) than Obama.

Yeah, basically it's more abuse of people's emotions to trick poor people into voting against their own interests.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

McNerd posted:

Ironically the only time I can imagine this gesture even making sense would be in a situation where you're expected to bow/lower your gaze, and you make a point of refusing to do it. Not something that really comes up that often, but of course it would be Obama who gets called out for this: the one person in America who is criticized by Freep specifically for bowing too much.

I think a lot of it hearkens back to tilting your head up and staring down your nose being the opposite of what you're supposed to do if you're submissive; as in, it's submissive to look down and bow to somebody. Posture was considered huge in the past so the rich would stand up very straight, put on a haughty expression, and look down at those dirty, damned peasants, who were no doubt doing back-breaking labor all day. Or just stare off at the horizon and not notice them at all.

There is also some "aversion of the gaze" stuff going on in that if you look upward you're deliberately looking away from people. If you are deliberately looking away from somebody you're deliberately not noticing them and declaring them unworthy of your attention. Staring up and away from the peasantry is a good way of declaring "I am better than you. So much better that you are beneath my notice. Begone."

The right generally wants to play itself up as a blue collar party of regular working class joes who just love America and Israel and apple pie so they try to pain the left as a bunch of stuck up elitists out of touch with salt of the earth types.

It's weird that they're criticizing Obama for being Harvard educated when their darling Bush was too. He went to Yale and Harvard.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
But Obama got into Harvard because he was black. Bush and everybody else got in because of their bootstraps and good grades or something.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's weird that they're criticizing Obama for being Harvard educated when their darling Bush was too. He went to Yale and Harvard.

Yeah but Bush admitted he basically coasted on gentlemen's Cs and cleared brush at his ranch and wasn't bla-*violent fake coughing fit*

alternatively

Who? I sure don't remember anyone by that name mattering in American politics recently.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Logikv9 posted:

But Obama got into Harvard because he was black. Bush and everybody else got in because of their bootstraps and good grades or something.
Indeed. Because when I think of "studious individual" and "intellectual giant" W is the first person that comes to mind, not some drunk/coked up college tool.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Also Santorum was apparently the most annoying type of pretentious frat bro as an undergrad. Can't recall if it's true, but Santorum is one kind of insufferable so it's easy to believe he was another.

Zeroisanumber posted:

To be fair, it's not hard to find smug jerks in the faculty lounge of major universities.

To be fair, it's not hard to find smug jerks. Period.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Shugojin posted:

To be fair, it's not hard to find smug jerks. Period.

This. Professors are the big whigs on campus - go anywhere else and talk to the people who run the place and you'll get the same outcome.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Unzip and Attack posted:

This. Professors are the big whigs on campus - go anywhere else and talk to the people who run the place and you'll get the same outcome.

Professors are most certainly not the people who run things on modern campuses.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Unzip and Attack posted:

I normally wouldn't do this, but considering the thread, you just learned it's big wigs.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

Professors are most certainly not the people who run things on modern campuses.

No, that would be the vast lieberal conspiracy funded by George Soros to destroy conservatism and accomplish literally nothing else.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ToxicSlurpee posted:

No, that would be the vast lieberal conspiracy funded by George Soros to destroy conservatism and accomplish literally nothing else.

Either you or I spend way too much time in Debate Disco.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

razorrozar posted:

I normally wouldn't do this, but considering the thread, you just learned it's big wigs.

To be honest, a fair number of them are pretty whiggish as well, though far fewer than once was the case I'm told.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Captain_Maclaine posted:

To be honest, a fair number of them are pretty whiggish as well, though far fewer than once was the case I'm told.

For some reason I thought I was in Stuff you Just Figured Out in PYF. :downs:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Someone want to give me the dish on why the right hates this guy? All I know about him is that he apparently has some philosophical views he wants taken seriously, and was willing to do some sketchy as gently caress hedge fund trading to do it. This is my admittedly low exposure to the information talking.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Warmachine posted:

Someone want to give me the dish on why the right hates this guy? All I know about him is that he apparently has some philosophical views he wants taken seriously, and was willing to do some sketchy as gently caress hedge fund trading to do it. This is my admittedly low exposure to the information talking.

He's a rich business dude that got really, really rich (as in multibillionaire rich, as in top 50 of the world rich) off of his business things. He uses his money and influence to champion and further leftist causes.

Really, that's all you need to know if your question is "why does the right hate this man?" Not only is he a leftist he's a wealthy, influential leftist, which kind of flies in the face of the whole "well obviously conservatism makes people successful, all really, really successful people are conservative" idea.

Best Korea
Feb 15, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Glenn Beck popularized it. He ran a special about Soros' connections to the left and put him at the center of liberal conspiracy.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
And before anyone asks which one, the answer is literally all of them. He was like their version of the Koch brothers with the exception of not actually engaging on anything like the scale they have, while being blamed for way more than they are. There was a stretch of time where Glenn Beck and everyone below his paygrade would say just about anything they didn't like was funded by Soros.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I suppose I was vainly hoping there would be a spark of dissonance where turbo-billionaire makes billions using this one billionaire trick, just like they idolize elsewhere. I know I shouldn't expect any depth beyond "rich guy who likes LIEbrul things" at this point, but is it too much to hope that Freep is right about us holding all the pieces of Liberal Exodia?

• Locked thread