Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Rutibex posted:

It's the structure of capitalism. When you pay people less than the value that they produce debt levels need to continue to increase or no one would be able to afford anything.

Think about it. The economy produces X amount of products. The producers of said products are paid X-profit. People will never have enough money to buy everything they produce unless they go into debt.

:350:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Rime posted:

^ This. I have many friends that make nearly double my wage, if not more, yet subsist paycheque to paycheque. I tell them I put half my monthly take-home straight in my savings account and they struggle to understand how that is even possible. "It's called not being an irresponsible idiot with your money.

What the hell do these sort of folks buy? Other than a weakness for Apple electronics and good food/beer, I genuinely don't find a great deal of things in the world that I'm so keen to deploy dollars to acquire that I'd live close to the margin, never mind go into debt.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Rutibex posted:

It's the structure of capitalism. When you pay people less than the value that they produce debt levels need to continue to increase or no one would be able to afford anything.

Think about it. The economy produces X amount of products. The producers of said products are paid X-profit. People will never have enough money to buy everything they produce unless they go into debt.

This is only true if you're expecting someone to buy everything they produce.

The pilot doesn't have to buy all the tickets on the plane.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lexicon posted:

What the hell do these sort of folks buy? Other than a weakness for Apple electronics and good food/beer, I genuinely don't find a great deal of things in the world that I'm keen to deploy dollars to acquire.

Read this and get angry.

quote:

$5,000 for a house cleaner
$4,000 family vacation each year
$3,000 for “gifts / holidays / family celebrations”
$4,000 for the kids to go to “camp”
$8,000 for kids’ college fund
maximizing 401k contributions

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

computer parts posted:

Read this and get angry.

That's a pretty hosed up list. How do you justify $5,000/year for a house cleaner, and only $4,000 for a family holiday? For a family of four, that would basically cover the airfare to some place worth going. I spend in the area of $4,000-6,000 on vacations just for myself each year. And I manage to do it on a lot, lot less than $250,000/year, coincidentally, without going into debt.

Lexicon posted:

What the hell do these sort of folks buy? Other than a weakness for Apple electronics and good food/beer, I genuinely don't find a great deal of things in the world that I'm so keen to deploy dollars to acquire that I'd live close to the margin, never mind go into debt.

Basically, this. I deny myself pretty much nothing in terms of food, booze and travel, and I still have plenty of money to do it with a much-lower-than-$250,000 salary (even lower than that divided by four, depending on the year). Though I guess I don't have a brand new luxury car lease, and a house I can't afford.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

My favorite part is how these poor rich people are so close to the poverty line after fulling funding their 401k and kid's college funds.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I remember some stupid talk show had a thing on these rich-poors.
The number one thing that always came out of it was that they were paying way too much for housing, housing they didn't even need. You've got families of 3-4 people living in 3000+ sqft houses. They've got a massive "great room". They've a huge not very functional kitchen they barely use (because they always order out). Each kid has their own room plus a grand "toy room" to play in. Mom and dad have a huge bedroom, plus their own bathrooms, plus their own "offices" or craft rooms. They've got an entire loving guest bedroom. And of course some monster 3 car garage.

They always go maximum when it comes to their mortage, they always buy the biggest most expensive house they can qualify for then don't understand that means all their disposable income will be going to the house. Their utility bills are insane. What they spend on furniture is insane. They'll spend more on utilities and upkeep than I spend on rent! And that's just their loving house. They absolutely can not even fathom down-sizing because "Kaylee needs her play room, her toys won't fit in her bedroom!". So they just go into debt, usually against their stupid house.

But it doesn't matter how much money you give these people or how many tax cuts, they will always buy the biggest house the bank lets them, always buy the most expensive things they can possibly afford, and go into the maximum amount of debt the system will allow. There's just always going to be people like that, on welfare or earning 300k. We're a financially illiterate people living in a society that makes debt easy and normal.

It's always the house.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 18, 2014

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

It may be lavish - but I can totally see the appeal of a cleaner. My most scarce resource is time - I'd love to have zero housework/laundry to do - that would free up quite a few hours a month. I don't know if that's $5000 worth of a value a year - but I'd definitely pay $3000 or more for cleaning. I don't have a cleaner right now, but I'm seriously considering getting one.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Rent is definitely where many people bite the bullet. I shack up with three friends because that means we can rent an entire house and pay $500/each a month. While I would love to live alone, I'm not willing to shell out the $1100+/month I would need to pay in order to find a similar bachelor living arrangement in terms of light and location. Not to mention that would only rent me a shoebox, I wouldn't get a full yard, carport, and massive deck to relax on.

I know people who spend 2/3rds of their monthly salary on an apartment downtown and buy their food on credit. :psypop:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Isn't the rule no more than 1/3 on housing to be financially prudent? 2/3 seems insane. We spend 1/3 and feel a bit finaicially squeezed to the point that we *gasp* can't even buy every single thing we want or travel any time to any place we want. In fact we can't even afford music lessons. I do though have a full toy room because my toys don't fit in the bedroom.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
How do these credit food people manage their debt overall? Are they satisfied to just let it grow?

That sounds so ridiculous.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cultural Imperial posted:

How do these credit food people manage their debt overall? Are they satisfied to just let it grow?

Credit card companies aid and abet people in doing it, make no mistake. Right now, for reasons I don't fully understand, and having never requested it (apart from applying for three credit cards in the first place), I've got around $40,000 in available credit. I'm sure if I were knocking up against the limit but still servicing the debt (I pay off every month and just don't buy poo poo I can't afford) they'd be more than happy to give me more.

Persona non grata
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah, far out man. Autonomous consumption is an idea you can only dig after you listen to a Zappa album backwards.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Can't wait to trust a strata council 20 years from now to keep the system and security up to date. Who are we kidding, poo poo like this is installed to quick sell a condo and then be abandoned by the strata a year later for probably quite valid cost and security issues.
Don't worry, Samsung will cut off updates after 1-2 years like they do with all of their products :shobon:

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
So many people don't look at value for money and what their actual needs are when making buying decisions. As long as they can pay the interest each month, they think they are being fiscally responsible.

There are so many bad purchases that people make and don't think twice about it. Getting the top tier cable TV package for $100+ per month when you barely watch TV? Sure why not! Lease a BMW for $750 a month when you only drive 5 minutes each way to work? Do it!

I would like to know how many people actually have a monthly budget that they monitor vs just spend whatever they can get away with. In my experience once I set a monthly budget for myself, it was easy to cut out wasteful spending and figure out my priorities. It would be nice to get a new car, but my current car that is fully paid off works just fine so why toss my money away.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just sort of track if my savings is going up and down each month and adjust from there. Don't actually keep track of poo poo, but I can feel it in my gut if I'm spending too much.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Garth Turner with a timely blog post.

quote:

“I had lunch with a fellow accountant the other day and I asked her if she’s seeing this as well in her clients. I was floored with her answer: “Me too! I’m drowning in debt too! I bought my house thirteen years ago for $180,000 and now the mortgage is well over $300,000!” Her house is worth about $400k, so any correction in the market would wipe them out (she’s in her late forties). Hate to say it, but I still have a feeling that the Canadian economy is doomed. Everyone has jumped onto the debt train and there’s no going back now.”

I am morbidly curious how many people are going to have to work until they actually die of old age.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I'm visiting in-laws in Sweden right now, and this trip more than any other I feel like bubble economics are really out in the open. In my wife's home town, which has grown a whole 2% in the last 20 years, apartment blocks are sprouting like mushrooms. Property prices have increased sixfold over the past 10-15 years. People are driving huge American cars. It just feels like the same kind of conspicuous consumption has taken hold here as in Vancouver.

And so I Googled personal debt Sweden, and took a look at Swedish interest rates, and yep, it's pretty much the same. If interest rates in Sweden ever go up, they are gonna have a bad time.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'm visiting in-laws in Sweden right now, and this trip more than any other I feel like bubble economics are really out in the open. In my wife's home town, which has grown a whole 2% in the last 20 years, apartment blocks are sprouting like mushrooms. Property prices have increased sixfold over the past 10-15 years. People are driving huge American cars. It just feels like the same kind of conspicuous consumption has taken hold here as in Vancouver.

And so I Googled personal debt Sweden, and took a look at Swedish interest rates, and yep, it's pretty much the same. If interest rates in Sweden ever go up, they are gonna have a bad time.

I thought those European countries were the ones that were doing things right. The Swedens, Norways, Denmarks...

Is nowhere sane?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I thought those European countries were the ones that were doing things right. The Swedens, Norways, Denmarks...

Is nowhere sane?

No.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Is nowhere sane?

Nope many Euro countries decided that the whole public backing of real estate debt was a really good idea since it makes homes so affordable.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I think the Germans are still contrarian.

Anyone know any Dutch? They should be in full meltdown mode.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

beepo posted:

I would like to know how many people actually have a monthly budget that they monitor vs just spend whatever they can get away with.

I budget! I don't have a choice! Maybe everyone should have $300 biweekly paychecks like I do, then they might be more inclined to spend sensibly :eng101:

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
There is the Ah-Ha moment with new people that you meet when you realize that their parents must still be supporting them. I was supporting myself while in school with a job at whole foods and I would have coworkers buying $20 lunches everyday and then go out after their shift spending like $75 a night on drinks. I would go out once in a while and buy a drink or two, but I knew I had rent to pay. These are the people that even if they have a good job, they will just spend beyond their means and end up with zero savings.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Anyone know any Dutch? They should be in full meltdown mode.

Holland is, how you say, hosed

https://insights.abnamro.nl/en/housing-market-monitor-house-prices-resume-upward-trend/

quote:

One particular concern for many people is negative home equity. Data from Statistics Netherlands (CBS) show that 1.4 million of the 3.6 million homeowners are contending with a Loan-to-Value (LTV) ratio greater than one. Adjusted for mortgage-linked savings and investments, the number of households with an underwater mortgage drops to 1 million.

DNB analysis shows that two-thirds of these mortgages will still be underwater in ten years’ time if house prices remain constant and no extra repayments are made on top of scheduled repayments. However, if house prices rise by 2% annually, only one-quarter of the mortgages will suffer this fate. So an increase in house prices is key to resolving the negative home equity problem.

The negative home equity problem is particularly prevalent among younger mortgagors. The under-50s had the bad luck of stepping onto the property ladder just before prices slumped, but they have the advantage of more favourable income prospects than older age groups. In addition, fewer have interest-only mortgages. DNB research shows that only 15% of homeowners under age 50 have an interest-only mortgage, as opposed to no less than 58% of their older counterparts.

One third of all mortgages underwater, many of which won't even be rescued if nominal house prices increase by 22% over the next ten years. Almost two thirds of older homeowners on interest-only mortgages with questionable repayment vehicles. Yay! On the plus side, however, "taking interest rates into account, the costs of home ownership versus income are historically low."

Also, Germany's seeing the beginning of a property boom: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/fc912b72-97cf-11e3-ab60-00144feab7de.html#axzz37ncBRDVN

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Holy poo poo why the gently caress are the chinese buying german real estate???

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Is nowhere sane?

Yeah no. The reason economists said they were doing it right was because people had home equity and pensions to back their enormous personal debt. :v:

Also, as I understand it, they were doing things mostly right until 2008.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I budget! I don't have a choice! Maybe everyone should have $300 biweekly paychecks like I do, then they might be more inclined to spend sensibly :eng101:

Jesus gently caress, is that before or after tax? Maybe I've been oblivious to how hosed the rest of Canada is, after all...

How is it that we have people making $300 bi-weekly, and yet businesses here in Calgary can't find people for a salaried position at $50,000-60,000 per year? Literally, half the applicants my friends deal with every day for these sorts of positions (no degrees required) can't even be arsed to show up for an interview. They half-joke with me that they might have to hire me to cook/bartend/etc. if they can't find anyone soon. We have businesses in this city literally shutting down for some days just due to lack of staff; sorry if I'm skeptical that's it's just due to poor wages.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 19, 2014

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Wages in Canada are pretty lousy.
My firm has a back office in Vancouver and the guys there get paid 40-50% less after-tax and currency adjusted compared to our other offices. Given the property bubble affecting rent and housing prices, Vancouver is arguably a higher COL location than our HQ which is traditionally viewed as one of the priciest expat destinations in the world. I honestly wonder how the Vancouver guys save any money.

Note that we're paying above market rate salaries for Vancouver.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Jesus gently caress, is that before or after tax? Maybe I've been oblivious to how hosed the rest of Canada is, after all...

:eng101: that would be before and after tax due to Canadas tax structure.

As a resident of Ontario I did not find that level of pay unusual; so yes you are oblivious.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

computer parts posted:

Read this and get angry.

They did one of those in Toronto Life not too long ago too. It was a loving debacle.

http://www.torontolife.com/informer/features/2012/02/15/almost-rich/

Saltin fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 19, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Saltin posted:

They did one of those in Toronto Life not too long ago too. It was a loving debacle.

quote:

The Lewis-Koonings
Household income: $200,000
Suzanne Lewis, a 41-year-old real estate agent at Keller Williams, and Thomas Koonings, the 45-year-old owner of the design-build company 4th Wall, bought their semi in Riverdale in 2007 for $419,000. Since then, they’ve had two kids: three-year-old Evie and 18-month-old Vaughan. At the end of the month, after all the bills are paid, they usually find they have nothing left. “We have a weakness for designer furniture,” says Suzanne. “In 2010, we spent $5,000 on a table and Eames chairs for our dining room.”

Mortgage payment for a three-bedroom house: $2,500.
Utilities: $500.
Gas for their Jeep Commander and Ford F-150 truck: $440. (“The Jeep was a mistake. We shouldn’t have bought it; we could have used the extra money for travel.”)
Street parking and two parking permits: $200.
Home and car insurance: $300.
Cleaning lady: $160.
Groceries: $1,000. (“We like Whole Foods and try to eat organic as much as we can. We love the new Leslieville store Hooked for fish. For everything else, Loblaws.”)
Baby supplies and toiletries at drugstores: $75.
Wine: $400–$500. (“We try to get the better $11 bottles, but they go fast.”)
Eating out: $400.
Home phone, cable, Internet and two cellphones: $280.
Dry cleaning: $50.
Haircuts, nails and waxing: $170.
Gifts: $200. (“You have kids, you spend money on toys for other kids. That’s how it goes.”)
Daycare for both kids: $2,500.

Now I'm angry. Although I do appreciate the writer's skill in presenting these people as anything but loathsome.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

PT6A posted:

Jesus gently caress, is that before or after tax?

Would it really make much of a difference?

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

FrozenVent posted:

Now I'm angry. Although I do appreciate the writer's skill in presenting these people as anything but loathsome.

Those living expenses aren't out of the ordinary. 5k of their income right off the bat are for mortgage and daycare, and the rest is fairly reasonable too. I'm assuming their takehome is something like 9-10k. Canada should try to make those major expenses more manageable, but you shouldn't begrudge people who are making enough to offset their costs.

on the left fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 19, 2014

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I love the WSJ infographic about 'rich-poor' people...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

on the left posted:

Those living expenses aren't out of the ordinary. 5k of their income right off the bat are for mortgage and daycare, and the rest is fairly reasonable too. I'm assuming their takehome is something like 9-10k. Canada should try to make those major expenses more manageable, but you shouldn't begrudge people who are making enough to offset their costs.

They're spending $500 a month on wine, $400 a month on eating out and $1000 a month on food. They're not offsetting their cost, they're spending on stupid poo poo. They don't get to complain.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Why exactly are there people willing to sign up for a non-pseudonymous public airing of their finances and the gross misspending thereof?

I wouldn't do this for any amount of money, not any amount that a lovely magazine could pay, anyway.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Humble brag?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, imagine these people as the rich gently caress from Gilligan's Island. "Well, Archibald, I probably should not have purchased that seventh Maserati, now I can barely afford to pay the housekeeping staff for the chateau in Nice. I'll probably have to fire half of them. Shame, I was so looking forward to having the south spire swept out for entertaining this year."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Saltin posted:

I love the contrasts, starting with this complete douche:

quote:

Craig Haynes
Household income: $165,000

Haynes, a 37-year-old national sales manager at TD Bank, has lived since 2009 in a rented one-bedroom on the 22nd floor of a condo tower at Yonge and Eglinton. He tries to stay debt-free, but occasionally he splurges on travel or a big-ticket toy, like the $7,500 Royal Enfield motorcycle he bought last year. “People think I make a lot of money,” he says, “but I lose so much of it in tax.”

HOW HE SPENDS IT

Monthly expenses | Rent: $1,750. Mortgage and property taxes on an Ottawa home he co-owns with his ex: $1,180. Groceries and eating out: $1,400. (“I often order pasta at Grazie or, if I’m in a celebratory mood, North 44°. I buy better cheese and other exotic ingredients at Pusateri’s, and because I cook at home a lot I pack leftovers for lunch.”) Wine: $800. (“I’ll spend anywhere from $15 on a Rhône to $100 on an Amarone, and I open a bottle almost every night. I’m one course away from sommelier certification, and they practically know my name at the Summerhill LCBO. “) Rogers Internet: $40. Clothes at Harry Rosen and shoes from online collectible sneaker stores: $1,000. (“My big buy last year was a couple of Zegna suits for $1,500 each.”) Live music: $200. (“I go to all kinds of concerts. Last year, I saw The Weeknd at Lee’s Palace as well as Gordon Lightfoot at Massey Hall.”)

Annual expenses | Lease, maintenance and insurance for a 2010 Honda Civic: $7,000. (“I’m at an age now that I don’t care as much about what kind of car I drive.”) Travel: $10,000. (“I go to Vegas three or four times a year, though not because I have a gambling problem—my perfect day in Vegas is spent poking around the city’s downtown nooks and dive bars, miles from the tourist zoo along the strip. And I’m a regular at the annual Coachella music festival in Southern California.”) RRSP contributions: $20,000.

“People think I make a lot of money because I do, and because I spent $4,000 a month on housing and loving wine combined as a single man and still have enough money left over to buy thousand-dollar suits regularly, dick around in Vegas and max out my RRSP contributions... but the taxes!”

FrozenVent posted:

You missed this gem from the first couple:

quote:

RRSPs and investments: $0. (“Ha! We live month to month. When we have money left over, we go out.”) Savings accounts for the kids: $1,500. (“We put money in on birthdays and special occasions.”)

:lol: at making $200k per year and living month-to-month with no retirement savings. gently caress you idiots.

Now compare to the last couple, who seem reasonable and likeable:

quote:

The Jibodus
Household income: $166,000

In their native Nigeria, Margaret Jibodu, who is 49 years old, ran a printing press, and her 52-year-old husband, Oladapo, was an architect. The couple sent their sons, Emmanuel and Iyiope (pictured), to Canada for university, and joined them in Toronto in 2009. Margaret opened HD Printing Press in Vaughan, and her husband manages residential rental properties. “Life here is so much easier,” Margaret says. “We don’t need to pay for chauffeurs or security or health care; in Nigeria, you must pay for everything.”
HOW THEY SPEND IT

Monthly expenses | Mortgage on their four-bedroom house, purchased in 2010: $2,500. Utilities: $300. Rogers for home phone, cable, Internet and two cellphones: $350. Gas for their Chevy Equinox and Chevy Cobalt: $300. Groceries at Loblaws, Metro, Fortino’s and the Oriental Food Mart on Finch West: $1,600. (“I like to cook dishes that I used to make in Nigeria,” Margaret says. “I often make spinach and okra soup and moin-moin, which is black-eyed beans with peppers.”) Eating out: $100. (“We sometimes go to Mandarin or Mr. Greek to celebrate.”) Lunches and coffees: $50. (“I pack a lunch basket for the family almost every day,” Margaret says. “For our health, we try to avoid eating sugary snacks and drinking coffee. I do occasionally like a Timbit, however.”) White wine, usually consumed with Sunday dinner: $80. Books and magazines: $100. Hair salon: $400. Grooming products for Emmanuel and Iyiope: $75.

Annual expenses | Clothing: $3,000. (“I don’t buy as many new outfits as I used to, since I have several nice suits I haven’t worn more than once,” says Margaret. “My new weakness is shoes and bags. I have a red Coach patent leather bag I love that I got for only $379.”) Furniture and furnishings, mostly from The Brick and HomeSense: $1,000. Vacations: $0. (“We have not been on vacation since coming to Canada. It has been work-work-work.”)

Okay, that's a pretty hefty grocery bill. But their monthly expenses only seem to add up to under $6K per month, or $72k per year, and they should be making at least $110k after tax so I have no idea how this example is supposed to illustrate anything besides that it's extremely easy to “get by” on a meager $200K per year in Tronna.