Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When poo poo like yesterday goes down the eschatological evangelical doomsday Christian that lives in the back of my head starts to go "hmmmmmm".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Cheekio posted:

Unrelated, I'll be in Seattle next week. Anything I should see?

Pike Place Market is worth at least a walk-through, though it's touristy as gently caress. Most food there is overpriced and awful, but Piroshki Piroshki is pretty good.

I liked the Asian Art Museum and the Volunteer Park Conservatory, both of which are conveniently close to each other and part of a nice little park. While you're there check out the Observatory, assuming you can climb up a few flights of stairs, it has a great view.

Chihuly Garden and Glass is also pretty cool. It would probably be really nice during the summer, when the sun's out.

Do you want food recs too? I have some foodie friends in Seattle and so have a massive list of good places to eat.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

zoux posted:

W-winter? Snow?

Oh, and since I missed this earlier:

Dirt
May 26, 2003

We got 339 inches of snow this winter where I live.

I moved here in April, so I missed most of it.

Next winter is gonna be intense.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

pangstrom posted:

Was Rush Limbaugh president of the Astrodome?

Limbaugh has nothing on Roy Hofheinz. You should see the rest of the apartment. He also had another across the street on the top floor of what was then the Astroworld Hotel, and surprisingly it has remained unchanged over the years and owners. http://abc13.com/archive/9323116/

Hofheinz was an interesting guy.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

MarsDragon posted:

Pike Place Market is worth at least a walk-through, though it's touristy as gently caress. Most food there is overpriced and awful, but Piroshki Piroshki is pretty good.

I liked the Asian Art Museum and the Volunteer Park Conservatory, both of which are conveniently close to each other and part of a nice little park. While you're there check out the Observatory, assuming you can climb up a few flights of stairs, it has a great view.

Chihuly Garden and Glass is also pretty cool. It would probably be really nice during the summer, when the sun's out.

Do you want food recs too? I have some foodie friends in Seattle and so have a massive list of good places to eat.

I'll be traveling with a bunch of foodies so I've got that covered. Those sound good, I'll probably do a lot of biking so I'll check them out. I was honestly hoping for something along the lines of a modern day Emperor Norton, apparently that was a San Francisco attraction.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dude. The Space Needle.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
are boneless wings truly wings? discuss please.

also wheat beer owns gently caress all haters

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Swan Oat posted:

Do they flap when they are attached to a living chicken? No? Then they are not wings. :science:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cheekio posted:

Unrelated, I'll be in Seattle next week. Anything I should see?

If you're willing to travel a half hour north, do the Boeing factory tour. It's insane if you've never seen it before.

EDIT: Ciders never get enough love, any favorites folks would like to suggest?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Swan Oat posted:

No they are chicken nuggets.

Say what you want about Aggies/College Station but Wings n More has the best wings in the world.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Solkanar512 posted:

EDIT: Ciders never get enough love, any favorites folks would like to suggest?

It depends on if you like sugary soda alco-pops. When talking about the American market, any macrobrew would work there - Angry Orchard, Woodchuck, or Smith & Forge all suffice if you want to consume way too many calories and get a headache. A lot of American brewers haven't yet figured out that Cider is An Actual Thing and not just apple-flavored wine coolers. Might as well just mix apple juice and grain alcohol to taste if you're going that route though.

For actual real ciders, I would suggest Crispin, Jacks, Fox Barrel, J.K.'s, and Ace in that order. If you're on the West Coast or New England there's probably also some regional brewers worth checking out. Good brewers actually try to reduce the sugars into ethanol and don't add more sugar to mask the taste.

If you can find it, Blackthorn is a decent import as well. The same brewer used to make K which was very tart and dry, but I haven't been able to find it in the states for a long time now. Strongbow is ubiquitous poo poo. Also be careful of bandwagoners to the cider fad - there are multiple brands of macrobrew ale that just add artificial apple flavoring, meant to decieve you.

If this trend continues I would expect to see more imported craft English ciders, which are generally superior to American ciders. Then again cider is much more popular amoung English youth, with an according market of cheap swill, so that may be tarted up and sold in the states soon as well (Strongbow).

e: The best tip I can give you is to check the calorie count. A higher number indicates more sugar, meaning that there's either less alcohol or added sugar to mask the alcohol. Crispin Brownslane has about 180 calories in a 16.9oz can, Smith & Forge has about 280 cal in a 16 oz can which is just loving idiotic. They're currently ranked 97% and 30%, respectively, on ratebeer.com.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 18, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Was somebody ITT disparaging bourbon and coke? Because JB and coke zero is my goto if I'm drinking. All this fanciness can go spin.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ugh diet coke. Jack and coke or crown and coke imo.

What's irritating is people who get all bent out of shape if I make a knob creek and coke or a maker's and coke like "OMG that's sippin whiskey!!!"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SedanChair posted:

Was somebody ITT disparaging bourbon and coke? Because JB and coke zero is my goto if I'm drinking. All this fanciness can go spin.

Maybe me? I just much much prefer old fashioned to anything with coke, but I wouldn't say disparaging, just suggesting an alternate course.

edit: how the gently caress is makers sippin whiskey psht

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I will totally pour maker's into coke while looking straight at you.

e: vvvv :unsmigghh:

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 18, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What kind of sick gently caress adds their whiskey second?????

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

alco-pops
[...]
I haven't been able to find it in the states for a long time now.

Wait a minute, what the hell kind of southerner are you anyway?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I add a splash of coke for color.

Really, whiskey needs the sugary goodness of full coke. Rums don't, though. Imo.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

XyloJW posted:

Wait a minute, what the hell kind of southerner are you anyway?

I drink all kinds of things. When I have scratch I'll buy Four Roses. My go to between paychecks is Evan Williams and High Life, because I am an alcoholic and the price of PBR has been steadily climbing to craft beer levels. If I need to justify myself I know a guy in Statesboro who makes a nice shine.

e: A PBR tallboy with a shot of well whiskey in it is called A Trailer With A Hitch.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 18, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

It depends on if you like sugary soda alco-pops. When talking about the American market, any macrobrew would work there - Angry Orchard, Woodchuck, or Smith & Forge all suffice if you want to consume way too many calories and get a headache. A lot of American brewers haven't yet figured out that Cider is An Actual Thing and not just apple-flavored wine coolers. Might as well just mix apple juice and grain alcohol to taste if you're going that route though.

Woodchuck also makes smaller batches of lower sugar ciders, includes ones mixed with hops.

But I love the 802 anyway :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DemeaninDemon posted:

I add a splash of coke for color.

Really, whiskey needs the sugary goodness of full coke. Rums don't, though. Imo.

Ah rum, I forgot I don't like rum either.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Discendo Vox posted:

All y'all are just a bunch of alcoholics. :colbert:

I wish you all the best in your preparations to become a professional alcoholic by the way. :)

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Gross. If you have to go cheap, at least go Lone Star or something.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ReidRansom posted:

Gross. If you have to go cheap, at least go Lone Star or something.

Nah, if I really hate myself and am broke I'll go for Icehouse.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

zoux posted:

Ah rum, I forgot I don't like rum either.

I'm beginning to question your commitment to despair-fueled alcoholism this subforum, zoux.

Man, haven't had an Icehouse since college. Worst case of beer shits I ever had was from drinking too many of those.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Aw, dude, don't do that to yourself. You're not 15 anymore.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I'm beginning to question your commitment to despair-fueled alcoholism this subforum, zoux.

I smoke a ton of weed, alright

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Rainier or PBR are the best cheap beers. Though Milwaukee's Best Ice (aka Beast Ice) is great when you want to get lovely.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

I drink all kinds of things. When I have scratch I'll buy Four Roses. My go to between paychecks is Evan Williams and High Life, because I am an alcoholic and the price of PBR has been steadily climbing to craft beer levels. If I need to justify myself I know a guy in Statesboro who makes a nice shine.

e: A PBR tallboy with a shot of well whiskey in it is called A Trailer With A Hitch.

I meant your use of "alco-pops" instead of "wine cooler" though I see you edited that in.

PBR is my favorite cheap beer. I don't know where you're getting it at craft beer prices, I can still get 36 for $15.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Chantilly Say posted:

Rainier or PBR are the best cheap beers. Though Milwaukee's Best Ice (aka Beast Ice) is great when you want to get lovely.

The Beast is great if you want to get drunk, vomit, and wake up on someone else's lawn.

I suggest a case of it in November.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

XyloJW posted:

I meant your use of "alco-pops" instead of "wine cooler" though I see you edited that in.

I prefer "malternatives".

Actually the only things I drink are Boones Farm and Alizé.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
In my younger, more tender days, I once called upon a friend who was attending NYU at the time. He and I were both exceedingly poor. I spent the better part of a week in New York, sleeping on the floor of his plywood cell on the third floor of a Brooklyn walkup which he shared with nine other students. After plane tickets, food, and six days of inchoate bar crawling through the muggy streets, I was even broker than I was when I had arrived.

On my last evening in The City, my friend and I had resolved to smoke salvia and get drunk on the roof. We managed to procure a small bag of salvia, but found the pipes too expensive for our tastes. Having seven dollars left in our budget, we bought two 40 ounce bottles of St. Ides and a package of thawing hot dogs from the corner bodega. We secured an empty tallboy can from the trash and fashioned it into a pipe, for the salvia.

On the roof, with our supplies, we found the seaborne winds made a mockery of our attempt to smoke salvia from a can-bong. My friend bellowed "God loving drat IT!" as he hurled the incriminating objects from the roof into the quiet streets below, though he and I both knew he wasn't really angry. We shared one of the malt drinks, eating the hot dogs with our fingers and laughing in the face of mortality.

The next morning, I was roused by the furious buzzing of my cell phone informing me that I had less than an hour to ride the subway across town to JFK. There was an awful metallic taste in my mouth, behind my eyes, and dancing merrily inside the pain nerves of my brain. I staggered to the kitchen to find some bottled water (the tap was disgusting). As I opened the fridge, I was nearly struck dumb with obscene cosmic horror - an unopened bottle of St. Ides, one we had purchased a few hours before, stood as a mute testament to the fact that I was an enormous lightweight pussy.

XyloJW posted:

PBR is my favorite cheap beer. I don't know where you're getting it at craft beer prices, I can still get 36 for $15.

Closing in on $7 for a sixer of tallboys here. High Life is still $4.70. I blame the fact that Atlanta is a big hipster market that would riot if PBR was unavailable.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 18, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
This is why I just stick to good ol' pcp and sniffing glue.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
the best cheap beer is natty ice but imo cheap beer preferences are crystallized in the teen/early 20s years and are not exactly based on rationality, like i only like natty because that was what we drank for some reason in the day. houston goons are there any good ciders? i kind of want to try a cider.

furthermore, just drink bourbon neat you weirdos.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

On my last evening in The City, my friend and I had resolved to smoke salvia and get drunk on the roof. We managed to procure a small bag of salvia, but found the pipes too expensive for our tastes. Having seven dollars left in our budget, we bought two 40 ounce bottles of St. Ides and a package of thawing hot dogs from the corner bodega. We secured an empty tallboy can from the trash and fashioned it into a pipe, for the salvia.
xer of tallboys here. High Life is still $4.70. I blame the fact that Atlanta is a big hipster market that would riot if PBR was unavailable.

Doing salvia on top of an acid trip was the only time I've ever had honest to goodness, seeing-poo poo-that-isn't there, frank hallucinations.

It's funny how freaked out moms got about salvia a couple of years ago. It's been around for years and years but it's not a party drug or anything so it'll never catch on. It's not really fun.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Salvia is hosed up and the only reason it shouldn't be banned is because it scares kids away from experimenting with hallucinogens that last for hours instead of minutes.

I used to narrate my hallucinations in real time, as a party trick. I have since learned much more interesting and much less psychologically damaging party tricks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnwS5sPOzb0

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think acid or shrooms are nearly as potent as that minute or so of complete ego loss from salvia.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
My favorite ways to drink bourbon are a (these names may be bullshit) "bourbon manhattan" (4 parts bourbon + 1 part dry vermouth + 1 part sweet vermouth + lemon & bitters) or a "bourbon sidecar" (2 parts bourbon + 1 part cointreau/triple sec + lemon & bitters). They're both fine with whiskey or rye instead but I mostly go with bourbon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I will never be able to take Four Roses seriously after visiting their distillery.

For those bored and near Kentucky, the state has organized what they call the "Bourbon Trail" where you can visit 6 (7 including Buffalo Trace) distilleries in a couple of days. I did it a few years back as part of a bachelor party.

Four Roses was the only bourbon none of us had heard of. Their production was closed for the summer due to water issues (the only one). The funniest part was the guide kept harping on how they were "Big in Europe and Japan" and that they were "totally real bourbon now, not the blended whiskey rotgut they sold under that name since the 60's."

It was funny to me.

Good beer is dark and malty. poo poo beer is IPAs.

pangstrom posted:

My favorite ways to drink bourbon are a (these names may be bullshit) "bourbon manhattan" (4 parts bourbon + 1 part dry vermouth + 1 part sweet vermouth + lemon & bitters) or a "bourbon sidecar" (2 parts bourbon + 1 part cointreau/triple sec + lemon & bitters). They're both fine with whiskey or rye instead but I mostly go with bourbon.

I've always found bourbon to be too sweet for Manhattans. I much prefer rye. You've got a 'perfect' bourbon manhattan (equal parts sweet/dry vermouth) with a weird lemon garnish. Cherries are better.

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 18, 2014

• Locked thread