Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

MikeJF posted:

That's okay because clearly she maintains like a three year buffer right right right?

I think I read an interview with her a while back in where she was talking about nimona being picked up for print and said something to the effect that it has a definite end that was happening soon and that it was always meant to span a single graphic novel. That was a few months back, so probably soon. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

She specifically said this was the last chapter, and the way things are shaping up that's probably a few pages left. I don't want to see it end but I definitely prefer short-and-sweet over never-ending.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
In Bobbins, The Boy is looking like his old self again! I'm happy for him.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I want to learn the Boy's weight loss secret.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I love the world. You guys can't bring me down! I'm beautiful! I'm sexy!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
avs noooo, wrong thread!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
It's the right thread!

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Parts Kit posted:

It'd be pretty funny if it was legit though since then two of the April Fool's things would have been true.

It was mostly a joke but between the alt text and her whispering that line I'm not sure

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I want to learn the Boy's weight loss secret.

It involves being endlessly teased by your boss's daughter.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Mildred is right, though. They never understand.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Has anyone been reading Pencil Pup? It's a cute adventure about a girl and her best friend. It blends storytelling and drawing tips beautifully!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm a dozen pages in and so far it's basically Party Cat.

Fendahleen
May 21, 2003

WE KNOW THAT YOU CAN HEAR US, EARTH MEN
Nice to see people singing the praises of Vattu's Calirus Torrai. He's one of the most subtly terrifying villains I've seen in a good long while, and like most of Dahm's creatures, there are fewer lines involved than there are things to read between them. Seeing him change gears from Kindly Uncle back to Dog Vader in the latest page was almost a relief. And what a surprise! Those guards were in position the whole time.

Also, it took me awhile to realize Vattu's new mark from the War-Women was for her first kill.

http://www.rice-boy.com/vattu/index.php?c=150
http://www.rice-boy.com/vattu/index.php?c=151

He even telegraphs it in the transition from the last panel of 146 to the first of 147. The whole thing is so well done, even if the glacial pacing puts a lot of people off reading as it goes.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Fendahleen posted:

Nice to see people singing the praises of Vattu's Calirus Torrai. He's one of the most subtly terrifying villains I've seen in a good long while, and like most of Dahm's creatures, there are fewer lines involved than there are things to read between them. Seeing him change gears from Kindly Uncle back to Dog Vader in the latest page was almost a relief. And what a surprise! Those guards were in position the whole time.

I'm not sure about Kindly Uncle, with those steely eyes. But I love that Calirus trying to be nice lasts the span of a short conversation before it's iron fist time again. And of course he's still not going to waste a valuable resource (just as he insisted they not kill the War-Man Chieftain). I take the guards on call as him rectifying his mistake of underestimating Vattu.

Fendahleen posted:

Also, it took me awhile to realize Vattu's new mark from the War-Women was for her first kill.

At first I thought "how would they know", but she did show up bearing the sword of her defeated enemy and all...

Fendahleen posted:

The whole thing is so well done, even if the glacial pacing puts a lot of people off reading as it goes.

It hangs together so well when you step back and read it a chapter or book at a time that I'd hate for him to change the pacing -- it's a little slow page by page but the end result is so worth it.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, it's been a while since I caught up with Vattu. It's a lot better than I remembered.

Fendahleen
May 21, 2003

Quinton posted:

At first I thought "how would they know", but she did show up bearing the sword of her defeated enemy and all...

Yep, that's the tradition. Another important point is that, going by the flashbacks, only the chieftan and the chieftan's son got that mark. Meaning that, if I'm reading it right, the War-Man training Vattu way back in the Flutelands and beyond isn't just cameraderie or training -- it's adoption. If she doesn't know it, the tribe sure as hell does. Which puts Calirus's promise to have her "not as a servant, but as a daughter," in an interesting perspective.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

It's a joy to go back and reread Vattu's archives. I'm invested in everybody's story, from the plotting wives to the lizard-people, so no matter who gets the focus I'm always happy. I wonder when Vattu's tribe will ever resurface in the story?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Vattu is pretty neat. Thanks for bringing it up.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Saturday Mornings posted:

It's a joy to go back and reread Vattu's archives. I'm invested in everybody's story, from the plotting wives to the lizard-people, so no matter who gets the focus I'm always happy. I wonder when Vattu's tribe will ever resurface in the story?

I am absolutely certain that Vattu will return to the flutelands at some point in the story -- and she'll return a very, very different person that she left, obviously, and the interactions will be fascinating. I think there's still a (very slim) possibility that it could happen at the start of the next book, but even given her training I suspect she's not going to easily escape that squad of Sahtan soldiers.

Total agreement that all of the various storylines are engaging.

e: Bonus Vattu goodies: Sahtan Script Tool: http://danke.h4xmb.com/rbl/v/

Sadly the wiki pages about the writing system seem to have vanished, but this page survived.

Hmm. Given the way the vowel markers sit over the consonant base glyphs, I wonder if one could create a truetype font with negative x-offsets for vowels so things look correct. Might have to explore this a bit sometime...

Quinton fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 20, 2014

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Quinton posted:

I am absolutely certain that Vattu will return to the flutelands at some point in the story -- and she'll return a very, very different person that she left, obviously, and the interactions will be fascinating. I think there's still a (very slim) possibility that it could happen at the start of the next book, but even given her training I suspect she's not going to easily escape that squad of Sahtan soldiers.
There's also the likelyhood that those who remained in the flutelands will have changed significantly as well, possibly adapting to being a part of the Empire and settling as the Empire wishes. Given that Vanni seemed accepting of the previous Priestess's idea that they 'would be humbled more in the future' and that things would be changing it seems likely that he might opt to go along with things to avoid a blatantly one sided conflict. The fact that he's a chickenshit douche doesn't help either of course. So when Vattu returns the conflict will likely not just be with the Empire but also her people.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Parts Kit posted:

There's also the likelyhood that those who remained in the flutelands will have changed significantly as well, possibly adapting to being a part of the Empire and settling as the Empire wishes. Given that Vanni seemed accepting of the previous Priestess's idea that they 'would be humbled more in the future' and that things would be changing it seems likely that he might opt to go along with things to avoid a blatantly one sided conflict. The fact that he's a chickenshit douche doesn't help either of course. So when Vattu returns the conflict will likely not just be with the Empire but also her people.

Her tribe, yes but there's also the dead, who if I remember right seemed to be significantly more advanced, didn't they have swords?

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 20, 2014

Fendahleen
May 21, 2003

Regarding the tribe, the opening of Vattu was more or less an intentional parallel to Lord of the Rings. We're immersed in a small, simple culture (Fluters/Hobbits) until we feel, in a narrative sense, more or less like one of them, and kind of subconsciously accept their borders and their understanding of the world. Then the curtain is pulled back, and we're pushed forcibly out into the vast, terrifying rest of the world. So I'm personally banking that the parallel will come full circle in much the same way with a Scourging of the Shire type affair. And yes, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of Vanni once he's all grown up.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

reignonyourparade posted:

Her tribe, yes but there's also the dead, who if I remember right seemed to be significantly more advanced, didn't they have swords?
One of them had a dagger, but it looked kinda Sahtan so maybe he offed some random mook and took it?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Parts Kit posted:

One of them had a dagger, but it looked kinda Sahtan so maybe he offed some random mook and took it?

And another had a metal axe, neither of them being apparently anyone special; they were pretty clearly at least in regular contact with a metal-using civilization despite being further away from the dogromans

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's also the fact that the Dead apparently were living out in the desert without having to stick to the herds like Vattu's tribe.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

And another had a metal axe, neither of them being apparently anyone special; they were pretty clearly at least in regular contact with a metal-using civilization despite being further away from the dogromans

They might have been in contact with the Sahtans, since they knew about the world-in-a-box. Although they did call it a "world in a box", so they may not know what it's used for. They could fight with them, but maybe not trade. But then the Sahtans would know that the fluters aren't just a bunch of useless nomads, so I dunno.

I totally forgot about the dead and was really interested in them in a recent re-read. They're definitely showing up again eventually.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Begemot posted:

I totally forgot about the dead and was really interested in them in a recent re-read. They're definitely showing up again eventually.

(unless people strongly object, I'm not going to spoiler discussion of the dead, given how old book one is now...)

I always wondered if "the stones of the dead" (p28, Hunter says "Greet the stones of the dead.") were related to "the dead" (the un-marked Fluters), or simply gravestones with a similar name.

The Dead:
- have green glowy (chemical?) torches/lightsticks (p41)
- baited and killed one of the cat-like predators (perhaps the other of the pair "our" Fluters didn't kill) (p42-43)
- carried it to the Fluter camp -- for trade? to exchange for the world-in-a-box? at night?
- seem to have green eyes even by day (p52)
- maybe primarily active at night (p54 "She will be stronger as one of us... downriver and awake at night.")
- armed with what appears to be a metal axe
- and a Sahtan dagger (compare hilt and scabbard on p55 and p102)
- Vattu is admonished for hunting by the stones of the dead (p74,75)

The Flutelands are simpler than Imperial Sahta, but even still, we clearly do not know all their mysteries yet.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Quinton posted:

I'm not sure about Kindly Uncle, with those steely eyes. But I love that Calirus trying to be nice lasts the span of a short conversation before it's iron fist time again. And of course he's still not going to waste a valuable resource (just as he insisted they not kill the War-Man Chieftain). I take the guards on call as him rectifying his mistake of underestimating Vattu.

I dunno, he shows some genuine softness in the last panel. I don't think he's purely a coldly calculating manipulator; he genuinely seems to believe that he is a good person doing the right thing for the mutual benefit of all.

Fendahleen
May 21, 2003

Quinton posted:

I always wondered if "the stones of the dead" (p28, Hunter says "Greet the stones of the dead.") were related to "the dead" (the un-marked Fluters), or simply gravestones with a similar name.

I'm still not sure about that either. Given that their most important feature is the fluter marks carved into them, and given their positioning so close to the Fluter camps (and under the trees, a known murder hotspot,) I think they likely are gravestones or memorials of some kind -- but that doesn't mean they're not still related. I don't think anything we see in Vattu is accidental, and the name "The Dead" seems no exception.

Gabriel Pope posted:

I dunno, he shows some genuine softness in the last panel. I don't think he's purely a coldly calculating manipulator; he genuinely seems to believe that he is a good person doing the right thing for the mutual benefit of all.

He was very convincing. On some level, I think he thought that would be enough. Calirus doesn't strike me as someone accustomed to asking nicely and offering an open hand, which is one more reason why he very nearly loses his temper afterward. But he was always good old Calirus on the inside, he was ready to flick the switch at any moment in that scene and he had everything in place should his diplomacy not work. And that's another thing about Calirus: I get the impression he genuinely thought it inconceivable that Vattu might actually turn him down. And yet he had his backup plan ready anyway.

Part of why I love Calirus is that he possesses qualities that could easily be seen as admirable. He's penetrating and he has enormous self control. Unlike shallow yes-men like Morrian, we respect him at once; He doesn't dismiss other peoples out of hand or take anything at face value, but that's not to be misconstrued. It's the mind of the dominator. Whatever he said, he wants these people as pieces in his game. I'm not saying he isn't capable of kindness or even love (Carlae seems happy enough,) but those things are forever a distant, flickering secondary concern to the iron Malcom McDogwell of the empire.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
I wish vattu's RSS feed still worked

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Fendahleen posted:

But he was always good old Calirus on the inside, he was ready to flick the switch at any moment in that scene and he had everything in place should his diplomacy not work. And that's another thing about Calirus: I get the impression he genuinely thought it inconceivable that Vattu might actually turn him down. And yet he had his backup plan ready anyway.

Yup -- he underestimated her before. He's not the kind of guy who makes the same mistake twice. And he *believes* in Sahta, or at least he does an incredible job of selling that belief if he's actually playing some deeper game (is Calirus losing his temper with Morrant about questioning the chain of command about Calirus or about the empire? -- could read that either way)

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
The fukken face on that dog as it pees all over that coconut is so good. He's so MAD at it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Does Vattu have a new RSS feed? I haven't seen an update in like months and I just realized.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It updates ever MWF without fail that I've seen. Don't really need an rss feed when it keeps to a steady schedule.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Quinton posted:

(is Calirus losing his temper with Morrant about questioning the chain of command about Calirus or about the empire? -- could read that either way)

Personally I read that as putting the fear of godTarrus back in Morrant, if it was JUST losing his temper he wouldn't have slid into it over a few panels, he more 'let himself loose.'

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Does Vattu have a new RSS feed? I haven't seen an update in like months and I just realized.

Same, I checked the site and there's a new one, apparently: http://feed43.com/2023102361452841.xml

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Brainamp posted:

It updates ever MWF without fail that I've seen. Don't really need an rss feed when it keeps to a steady schedule.

Because I'd rather all my comics get aggregated in one place instead of having to load up 100 friggin websites every day to check for updates like I did when I was a teenager.

Begemot posted:

Same, I checked the site and there's a new one, apparently: http://feed43.com/2023102361452841.xml
Thanks a bunch.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Back when Rice Boy was nearing completion, I kept hearing great things about it. I was so intrigued that, when someone recommended that I wait and read the whole thing at once in print form I took a gamble and did that. And MAN it was so worth it. I loved it. It's one of my most prized books.

So, I decided to do the same thing with Evan Dahm's next story. I noticed it was shaping up to be much much longer than Rice Boy, so instead of torturing myself with impatience, I did my best to forget about the whole thing long-term, and rediscover it in the future. Whenever I overheard mention of Evan Dahm's comics, I'd do my best to ignore it.

Apparently, somewhere along the line I started confusing "Order of Tales" with "Vattu", because I just now discovered that OoT is done, and that yet another story is deep in progress! Sweet! Time to order a present for myself.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Calirus is an okay guy, it's just that when you're general in service of a mighty empire, there isn't room to cut slack for budding revolutionaries.

I'm just waiting for the moment when all these separate conspiracies against the empire meet up, although the Grish are still due to show their personal anti-imperial plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I know it updates at a snail's pace, but Fanboys updated today and it's fantastic.

• Locked thread