Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Angry Grimace posted:

Its not a matter of being uncounterable, its that if the hate card resolves, you almost instantly lose.
What list are we even talking about? I'm having trouble tracking down any significant "enchantment" decks from any major tournaments, though that might just be my google-fu being bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Veyrall posted:

What list are we even talking about? I'm having trouble tracking down any significant "enchantment" decks from any major tournaments, though that might just be my google-fu being bad.
Its around, but its a Tier 2 list that hasn't made many waves. Chord of Calling could have really helped it though. Its a mostly green list that tries to draw a billion cards off of Eidolon of Blossoms, pump its dudes through Strength of the Fallen and kill your guys with Doomwake Giant.

Its really annoying to play against because of the sheer number of cards it can play and the amount of mana its throwing off from Nykthos.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Seems like it just takes a transformational sideboard for G2 and calls it done, since it sounds pretty drat close to being a Mono-Green devotion list.

Or maybe just don't go so all-in on the enchantment plan by playing a few PWs who complement your gameplan of CA and big threats. The new Garruk sounds like it'd do in a pinch.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Veyrall posted:

Seems like it just takes a transformational sideboard for G2 and calls it done, since it sounds pretty drat close to being a Mono-Green devotion list.

The most annoying variant is the pillow fort variant that plays Sphere of Safety to piss you off.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Seriously, this is like that Heartless Summoning/Havengul Lich combo deck everybody was keen on during AVR. They spoiled Grafdigger's Cage, and all the alarms went off. "Oh god, everyone will play this and my life will be terrible!" But then nobody played Grafdigger's Cage, least of all on the FNM level the deck was always destined for.

Don't be worried that there's some oddly-specific hate for your tier 2 Standard deck, that just means R&D thought your deck was good enough to have a safety valve for. Nobody will play that lovely, lovely card unless destructible-enchantments.dek takes over the metagame, and it's not like you don't have some outs. Golgari Charm is a good card anyway.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Golgari Charm is a good card.

On that note, I was really surprised Simic Charm never made any waves, and never could quite grok why. My best guess is just that not that many decks needed Giant Growth/Unsummon, and the Hexproof was never all that relevant either, though maybe it just got forgotten too. Such is life, and at least my playset will be super-cheap once it rotates.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

Seriously, this is like that Heartless Summoning/Havengul Lich combo deck everybody was keen on during AVR. They spoiled Grafdigger's Cage, and all the alarms went off. "Oh god, everyone will play this and my life will be terrible!" But then nobody played Grafdigger's Cage, least of all on the FNM level the deck was always destined for.

Don't be worried that there's some oddly-specific hate for your tier 2 Standard deck, that just means R&D thought your deck was good enough to have a safety valve for. Nobody will play that lovely, lovely card unless destructible-enchantments.dek takes over the metagame, and it's not like you don't have some outs. Golgari Charm is a good card anyway.

Wasn't that because Grafdigger's Cage shuts off your own Snapcaster Mage?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

LordSaturn posted:

That's because they were morons and Heartless Summoning was about dropping Wurms and Rune-Scarred Demon. Havengul Lich was a nice addition but it hardly reinvented the list.

I miss Heartless, especially when Theros has the sort of things Heartless wanted that RTR was lacking. You don't get to put Erebos and Pulokranos and Stormbreath in the set after Heartless rotates out, assholes. :smith:

Oh god Keranos or Doomwake Giant would be some of the sickest t3 plays! Why did Wizards do this to me? :cry:

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Veyrall posted:

Golgari Charm is a good card.

On that note, I was really surprised Simic Charm never made any waves, and never could quite grok why. My best guess is just that not that many decks needed Giant Growth/Unsummon, and the Hexproof was never all that relevant either, though maybe it just got forgotten too. Such is life, and at least my playset will be super-cheap once it rotates.

the only relevant ability (hexproof) the card had was available in better formats in both of those colors

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

That's because they were morons and Heartless Summoning was about dropping Wurms and Rune-Scarred Demon. Havengul Lich was a nice addition but it hardly reinvented the list.

I miss Heartless, especially when Theros has the sort of things Heartless wanted that RTR was lacking. You don't get to put Erebos and Pulokranos and Stormbreath in the set after Heartless rotates out, assholes. :smith:

Oh god Keranos or Doomwake Giant would be some of the sickest t3 plays! Why did Wizards do this to me? :cry:

Cmon the new Heartless Summoning is Generator Servant. :getin:

OneDeadman fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 18, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Question about the Rav duals:

Are they likely to dip in price after they rotate out of standard, or go up? Logically I would think that becoming unplayable in the biggest format would make them go down, but then I'm not sure if rotation also means that supply dries up a bit and the price starts creeping up. Basically, if I want to grab Rav duals, should I do it now or in October?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Are they likely to dip in price after they rotate out of standard, or go up? Logically I would think that becoming unplayable in the biggest format would make them go down, but then I'm not sure if rotation also means that supply dries up a bit and the price starts creeping up. Basically, if I want to grab Rav duals, should I do it now or in October?

They are most likely as cheap as they will get right now. They are required for Modern and are not likely to be reprinted again anytime soon. Buy!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

They'll only get marginally cheaper, if at all. You won't be kicking yourself if you buy now.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Buy within the next 6 months or live a wizardly life of regret

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Two cookies to whomever points out the problem with 4/5ths of this list.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Well constellation can only cast one of them for starters. (ok, it can cast thoughtseize too I guess)

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 18, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If I block with a creature, and tap it to activate whatever ability it has before combat damage is dealt, does it still deal combat damage?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

bhsman posted:

You have to hold up significant mana for them to even work. Only Thoughtseize is proactive.

Also, why Cancel? There's always a strictly better version....

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

bhsman posted:

Rotating.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Angry Grimace posted:

They'll only get marginally cheaper, if at all. You won't be kicking yourself if you buy now.

Is this likely to be true of Mutavaults as well? I really want to grab a playset but if their price is going to fall out upon rotation I'll probably just hold off until then.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Rinkles posted:

If I block with a creature, and tap it to activate whatever ability it has before combat damage is dealt, does it still deal combat damage?

Yup. It used to deal no damage, but it does now.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Bugsy posted:

I admit that I don't know vintage that well, but playing Kookus is loving awesome. And gobbos with out recruiter?

Gobbos come out with lackey and post warchieft (srsly hasty pile drivers for R is boss and t2 siege gang via lackey melts faces) recruiter is for either the charbelcher combo g2 or food chains combo, matron searches out 1 of or emergency goblins. If you build it budget the synergy is still off the charts and can take the early game by storm. Duals for splashing are p cheap now and should even drop some more before leaving modo fingers crossed

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Yup. It used to deal no damage, but it does now.

Thanks, that caught me off guard.

(Maybe this is parsable to one other Onslaught alumnus).

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Angry Grimace posted:

More than likely this. You will have lots of Standard players dumping them at rotation so the price will dip a very small amount, but after that the price can only go back up...buy 2 play sets :)

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Anniversary posted:

Is this likely to be true of Mutavaults as well? I really want to grab a playset but if their price is going to fall out upon rotation I'll probably just hold off until then.

I believe Mutavault isn't nearly as ubiquitous in modern as the shocks are. Wait on them.

The thing about buying shocks now too is that it's a little easier to swallow spending about 35-40 a playset every week, rather than ~350 all at once at rotation. Mutavaults don't have that problem, so if you decide to wait until a week after rotation, eh, you're still just buying one play set. I realize that's somewhat artificial, but amortizing costs is a thing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

My guess is just that shocks can't get all that much cheaper than they are now unless WOTC decides to abolish the Reserved List and print Underground Sea, etc. in Khans.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Balon posted:

Rotating.

:siren: whoop whoop whoop :siren: We have a winner, folks. Even the best card, Thoughtseize, only works at sorcery-speed.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bhsman posted:

:siren: whoop whoop whoop :siren: We have a winner, folks. Even the best card, Thoughtseize, only works at sorcery-speed.

Cancel isn't actually rotating, though. :spergin:

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Boxman posted:

I believe Mutavault isn't nearly as ubiquitous in modern as the shocks are. Wait on them.

The thing about buying shocks now too is that it's a little easier to swallow spending about 35-40 a playset every week, rather than ~350 all at once at rotation. Mutavaults don't have that problem, so if you decide to wait until a week after rotation, eh, you're still just buying one play set. I realize that's somewhat artificial, but amortizing costs is a thing.

This is pretty much how I feel. I have spent this week getting a set of Stomping Ground and Overgrown Tomb on ebay. I figure MOST ebay players can get a set for about $3-4 cheaper than on TCG so even if the prices of shocks drop another $.50/card I am still right where I want to be.

Angry Grimace posted:

Yea this got a reprint in M15.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I would say to not wait to pick up shock lands if you plan on using them because they're not going to drop much or for long. A full playset of them would be good to have. Mutavault isn't going to hold price or see a similar price again unless it shows up in another Standard in the future or there's a totally unheard of level of bannings in Modern.

edit: Probably don't speculate on shocks. Probably don't speculate at all outside of absurdly good prices or trade throw ins.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I love cube.

Absolutely ridiculous P3P2:

Final Pool/Deck:

P1P1 Mana Vault because I really didn't want to take the Terastodon and do Green Ramp a third time in a row. P1P2 Ulamog because maybe artifact ramp can happen, then I got passed nothing but Mana Rocks and Blightsteel. I got Metalworker late pack 2 and felt that my silliness had been rewarded.

I also got to live the dream in Green last night:

3-0 with that one :black101:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
If anyone's interested I'm gonna stream a MMA draft, and practice UWR Twin. I'll probably do a Cube Draft after that too.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I love cube.

Absolutely ridiculous P3P2:

3-0 with that one :black101:

How the gently caress does neither Library nor Lotus get picked first in that pack?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
A reminder that Ancient Grudge is a sick nasty card in powered/holiday cube.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Balon posted:

Rotating.

Khans of Tarkir has cards. 250ish of them. We go through this every drat year, trying to figure out much of anything about the new standard before the fall set is spoiled is pointless.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Exactly. This time last year people would have called you crazy if you said "The best deck in Standard after rotation will contain 4 copies of both Nightveil Specter and Pack Rat."

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Bugsy posted:

How the gently caress does neither Library nor Lotus get picked first in that pack?

I have been asking myself, "What the gently caress could he have picked from that pack....." since I saw that.

Got there round 1. Game 1 Turn 2 Metalworker into Blightsteel one-hit-kill. Game 2 was slower, I didn't have a topper in hand but "finally" drew Inkwell Leviathan on turn 4. He copied it with a shapeshifter but I won that race.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Not that you'd ever play it with Dissolve and Dissipate both being in the format.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

rujasu posted:

Not that you'd ever play it with Dissolve and Dissipate both being in the format.

You'd probably never play with it in any format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Bugsy posted:

Some people are good at magic...

• Locked thread