Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Why do you need A/C in a Miata, just put down the rear window and BAM instant bikini top.

I live in FL and haven't used the A/C in my Miata yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

leica posted:

Why do you need A/C in a Miata, just put down the rear window and BAM instant bikini top.

I live in FL and haven't used the A/C in my Miata yet.

Even in something I don't need in the summer (my plow truck) I make drat sure the AC works because defrost basically doesn't do poo poo on a rainy day without it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I drive the car top down around town mostly and start to cook when it's 90+ every day like it's been this summer. It might be better at highway speeds; I haven't checked yet. I was going to just let the AC blow on me with the top down because I hate energy efficiency and don't like driving top up in the Miata; visibility suffers and it's not much cooler and I might as well drive the 92x at that point.

Edit: also not sure how much of a resale hit I'd take from not working AC

blk fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 18, 2014

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Yes, I think so. It was I Ate Jesus with his Toyota.

So I assume he is dead huh

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tusen Takk posted:

So I assume he is dead huh
Well, he lived long enough to post about the incident, but I don't think we've heard from him in quite a while.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

thebigcow posted:

NAPA Gold filters say made by Wix on the box for whoever was asking halfway up the page. The man at NAPA always talks me out of doing things the cheap way and into doing them the expensive way. He's a bad man :(

O'reilly's carries Wix, you just have to ask for them. they're behind the counter. Not sure on how prices compare, though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

Even in something I don't need in the summer (my plow truck) I make drat sure the AC works because defrost basically doesn't do poo poo on a rainy day without it.

I was being kinda facetious but yeah good point. It's nice just to have it for that, but I imagine at some point I'll remove the A/C just because I'm a sperg when it comes to clean looking engine bays and "real" sports cars not having A/C. To get the real sports car experience you have to suffer, right?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 215 days!)

leica posted:

To get the real sports car experience you have to suffer, right?

Next, replace the twin AAs with a 9V crammed in place and watch that sonnabitch scream up the hill.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

leica posted:

Note: I, too, drive a car without A/C, and I suffer. But it's not a sports car. If you have the spare hp, maintain dat A/C.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

leica posted:

I'm getting old, I enjoy AC. So every car I own has to have excessive power to power dat compressor.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
"My" Miata has AC because it's my lady's DD. She's very light skinned and burns easily, and being 110° outside doesn't help.

Looks like the compressor front seal is starting to weep as well, which really bugs me because I replaced practically everything else AC wise 1.5 years ago.

Just did new struts, timing belt, water pump, belts, brake rotors and pads, and all sorts of other stuff recently. Looks like we're keeping it a while longer.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

I was being kinda facetious but yeah good point. It's nice just to have it for that, but I imagine at some point I'll remove the A/C just because I'm a sperg when it comes to clean looking engine bays and "real" sports cars not having A/C. To get the real sports car experience you have to suffer, right?

I don't think so. It's nice to have a/c when the track is out in the desert (Buttonwillow, Willow Springs), and you're queued and just sitting there waiting to get on the track. But, that might just be me :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well as long as my Miata is the DD the A/C isn't coming out that's for sure. It'll probably come out when it's the toy sports car and I have another DD, but that may be awhile because I like having a Miata for a daily.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

blk posted:

The Miata is becoming quite the fixer-upper. I need to:

Purchase new front bumper cover ($350) and have painted ($300)
Replace rear wheels to fix vibration at certain speeds (they apparently a little untrue and the tire guys balanced them the best they could, they're about 95% there) ($350)
Install the new fuel filler and vent hoses I got to try and fix the gas smell in the trunk ($125)
Replace the speedo cable to fix speedo shake ( :10bux: )
And now replace the AC compressor (haven't got a quote yet but I'm guessing $600)

That would put me into the car for a little over 6 grand. It'd be in great shape at that point, just not sure if it's worth it since I don't know how long I'll be keeping it - I want to move up to something else once I buy a house, hopefully in 1-2 years).

Sell me that mee-at-a for a dirty cheap price!

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
So my dd Peugeot 306 estate hdi poo poo the bed yesterday... Horrible death rattle and is coming from the cam / cam belt area. Smoke coming from that side and loss of power and power steering intermittently... Yeah this thing is probably toast.

Had a better look and the can belt is strong enough and taught so not tensioner. Suspect the cam bearings.

thegasman2000 fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 19, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

thegasman2000 posted:

So my dd Peugeot 306 estate hdi poo poo the bed yesterday... Horrible death rattle and is coming from the cam / cam belt area. Smoke coming from that side and loss of power and power steering intermittently... Yeah this thing is probably toast.

Had a better look and the can belt is strong enough and taught so not tensioner. Suspect the cam bearings.
Check your alernator etc isn't seized - that would cause some interesting noises from the belt being forced to slip, possibly generate smoke, and almost certainly make the PS pump only function intermittently.

Doubt you'll be that lucky, but worth a look.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

leica posted:

Defrost or when it's raining but muggy as hell are the only times I use the AC in my s2000. Even if I don't put the roof down, having the windows down on the highway gets some air moving around pretty good

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

STR sorry about the satan spawn cat, losing a pet sucks. I've had to let a lot of family pets go in the past, always hard.

Well all good things must come to an end I guess. It's been one hell of a trip and I'm still amazed I was able to do it. Dad flies back tomorrow morning and I fly back to reality Monday. This last week has been an absolute blur but amazing. Three museums (BMW/Merc/Porsche), driving in the Alps (southern Germany is beautiful) and lapping the Nurburgring. This is one of the few places I've been that I'm really going to miss and I'm already scheming my next trip.

Nurburgring is something that no game or video can replicate. The elevation changes, the speeds, how narrow the track is how hard the carousel beats the poo poo out of you. Absolutely amazing. We took footage that I'll likely upload at some point but we're slow and didn't crash so it's pretty boring.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
My life right now consists of going to work and sanding a JJJJJAAAAGGGGG.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

BrokenKnucklez posted:

My life right now consists of going to work and sanding a JJJJJAAAAGGGGG.

I'm disassembling a YJ to replace the frame and tub.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

So I just stopped by the auto section at Best Buy to look at noisy parts that I can't afford and there was a little display with a few different kinds of breathalyzers for sale. :crossarms:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Driving drunk is all the rage with the kids these days.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Friar Zucchini posted:

So I just stopped by the auto section at Best Buy to look at noisy parts that I can't afford and there was a little display with a few different kinds of breathalyzers for sale. :crossarms:

Brilliant crossover there, on that managers' part. Just so long as it is packed next to the Sony XPLOD and Jensen kits.

Went to go pull the head on the now-dead 2.4DOHC churd, and found that even my weak bony nerdskeleton fingers are too large to fit in most of these places. What. The. gently caress. gently caress you, Hyundkia.

Was going to do my last of the first summer oil changes today, but the sky is a little less than trustworthy. The fact we dropped 20 degrees in 1/2 hour may have something to do with it. Do not hail on my cars, drat you. :hydrogen:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Bucephalus posted:

I'm disassembling a YJ to replace the frame and tub.

That sounds more like disassembling a YJ to put its parts on another with less rust.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

kastein posted:

That sounds more like disassembling a YJ to put its parts on another with less rust.

Tomato, tomahto; the tub and frame are coming from 2 different sources, so it's a matter of semantics.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 20, 2014

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

All of yall talkin' 'bout driving without A/C are crazy people. I know I've lived through a Florida summer without A/C and I just barely made it.
This is what driving an non-breathing metal cube gets you in Florida:

It's even more fun when one of the afternoon thunderstorms rolls in. 98F with with 99% Humidity. :suicide: gently caress Florida summers Forever

Luckily we had Motronic here to post our A/C repair thread, which not only got me to fix my A/C, but got me interested enough in A/C stuff to enroll at the local tech school for their HVAC/R program, so yay!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Bucephalus posted:

Tomato, tomahto; the tub and frame are coming from 2 different sources, so it's a matter of semantics.

I cede the title of "jeep of theseus" to this project.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Got enough money. Kitteh's gonna lose some dead weight :dance:

(he likes beans)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Thats a cool cat. Florida summers, especially mid-state where there is basically never even a breeze, are brutal! I went to school in Gainesville and rode a hipster road bike to my summer classes. I probably lost 3 lbs of water weight to and from class each day.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

Luckily we had Motronic here to post our A/C repair thread, which not only got me to fix my A/C, but got me interested enough in A/C stuff to enroll at the local tech school for their HVAC/R program, so yay!

That's crazy. Good on you for going with plumbing for geeks.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

kastein posted:

I cede the title of "jeep of theseus" to this project.

Front fenders have yet to be sourced and, due to a seized linkage, the t-case remains untested.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Motronic posted:

That's crazy. Good on you for going with plumbing for geeks.

Yeah, it's great, I should be done with that by the end of this year, and it turns out through that class I get like 26 credits to an Industrial Management degree at Valencia, so it's a double win!

I pretty stoked about it though, I always though A/C stuff was this big complicated system, but it turns out nope it's actually pretty simple, and it seems like the field pays well enough, so I should get some good money to fuel ill-advised projects!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

I always though A/C stuff was this big complicated system, but it turns out nope it's actually pretty simple,

If you understand basic math and physics.....nope. Totally easy but still complex enough to be interesting in actual real world application.

The fact that you get this will put you well above most people in the business who seem to be very "monkey see monkey do" and are lost without a troubleshooting chart for the specific model/install.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Wimps. (Not a setup. It was pretty loving hot - until it dropped 20 degrees in 1/2 hour. Prayed to the hail gods to pass us buy. So far, so good.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That looks like a familiar interior. Is it a Cavalier with a wood trim kit?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh that reminds me, I saw a Cimarron last night. Wish I had more time to scope it, just for the WTF factor.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Viggen posted:

Wimps. (Not a setup. It was pretty loving hot - until it dropped 20 degrees in 1/2 hour. Prayed to the hail gods to pass us buy. So far, so good.)

Was that inside temp or outside? Cause my pic was the temp Inside the car.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

That looks like a familiar interior. Is it a Cavalier with a wood trim kit?

Range Rover Sport / Holden crossover. I call it the RRH.

ExplodingSims posted:

Was that inside temp or outside? Cause my pic was the temp Inside the car.

Outside, actually. Inside was much, much worse until I dropped the top.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Viggen posted:

I'm genuinely surprised that panel hasn't succumbed to SAAB electrical gremlins. I knew two people with 93s and both of their head units decided to spontaneously remove half of the pixels for shits and giggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Extra posted:

I'm genuinely surprised that panel hasn't succumbed to SAAB electrical gremlins. My parents had matching 93s and both of the pixels on their head units decided to poo poo the bed.

I. Fix. Those. :shepicide: (Much better trolling than Motronic- It deserves a response.)

• Locked thread