Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sickening posted:

Could you lighten the gently caress up? An AutoIt script is what I would expect for babies first script try. Your reaction is loving spergy at best.

AutoIt got mentioned earlier when I was trying to emulate a card reader. I ended up doing it in Powershell with .Net

Would it be better to focus on .Net or is it worth learning AutoIt as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

How many of you guys have had close calls or big mistakes when trying to automate a process?
I once accidentally ran a script that was supposed to run on a development database on a production database. The first step of the script was to drop all users. It turned into a long night. :suicide:

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I've built fully functional POCs for Cloudera, Hortonworks, HD Insight, and Pivotal HD. It's like I'm in this weird limbo of being an IT jr getting lots of hands on experience deploying and administering a very young technology.

I have another box with Workstation and ESXi on it, but this is more of a side thing (that I'm doing at work so it counts). Very interested in Vmware.

At least 2-3 years down the road when some Exec decides to do Hadoop I can say I've done it.

This sounds like how I got started. Showed some competency and work ethic as a Jr and got a few REALLY big projects tossed at me that basically turned me into a Sr.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

AutoIt got mentioned earlier when I was trying to emulate a card reader. I ended up doing it in Powershell with .Net

Would it be better to focus on .Net or is it worth learning AutoIt as well?

I would say that .Net would be better to focus on but it certainly wouldn't hurt to learn AutoIT. It'd just be a lower priority for me.

***edit***
I'm actually thinking of Powershell, but that relies upon .Net.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

So I asked a couple weeks back about imaging software and got a few suggestions from people (thanks). The old way of doing things when I started here was to make a "backup" from a properly setup machine onto an external drive, and then "restore" that to any other new machines that came in. I was not a fan of it.

I ended up taking a little more time to get a workable WinPE ISO working with Imagex and proper network drivers and have spent some time trying to get a good answer file going - which is still a work in progress - which was kind of a lifesaver this week when my director came in and needed 21 special computers ready by Thursday :supaburn: (I was told this on Monday).

My tech bench only has room for 3 machines right now, so we commandeered an empty class room (I work at a university) and set up a switch in there with a couple of monitors and mice/keyboard sets. Once I got the image onto the server (using sysprep/imagex), me and another guy would just boot each of the new PCs up to the USB, start pulling in the image off the network share, and unplug everything but the network cable and power. Move on to the next, repeat until all 21 were imaging.

I still need to change my answer file xml to get a few things better but overall I'm really happy with how this went. Doing it the old way, it literally would've taken 20+ hours. I am beginning to think I belong in this field.

You should be using MDT. I don't know how else to convince you... but you really should be using it to deploy Windows.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

dox posted:

You should be using MDT. I don't know how else to convince you... but you really should be using it to deploy Windows.

Take it from me, we used to use WinPE + imagex and MDT is so much better. Sysprep is automated and it is much easier to manage everything image related. Plus you get to have one image work across multiple platforms.

End of the first week as a sys admin/help desk and everything is going great. Next week I'm whipping inventory into shape so I can figure out how many licenses we need for Active Directory. And don't tell me it is on the honor system, I'm not a pirate

By whipping it into shape I mean having inventory.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 18, 2014

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Really, the script was about as simple as you could get. Ideally, it would wait for the Window["Notepad"] to be in focus then it would start at the end of the top line, send {backspace} x 4, send {downkey} then {ENDkey}. Then loop over that 100 times.

I ran into several issues. I accidentally created an infinite WHILE loop, and with each loop, I did not make the script check to see if Window["Notepad"] was focused.

This sounds like a great opportunity to plug Sublime Text 3 / Notepad++ / Atom or your "advanced" text editor of choice. I would recommend Sublime Text, personally, but it's mostly preference. In this situation, all you have to do is press CTRL+Q to start record a macro, press CTRL+Q again when you're done, and then press CTRL+SHIFT+Q to replay that macro.

If you're going to do something that's complicated enough that it can't be accomplished in 30 seconds of playing with a macro and then holding down 3 buttons for a few seconds, you should probably learn a scripting language. It's hard to think of a reason not to use Powershell on a windows machine.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

CLAM DOWN posted:

drat dude, chill out a bit.

You first buddy. His mistake was pretty trivial and you flipped out.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
It's the weekend. What do you nerds do for fun?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Going to get coffee with some friends. Then tennis for a couple hrs. Maybe a bike ride. Tomorrow going hiking at some weird park with my mom. Then getting food with some friends and probably playing 13th age with a group of people Sunday evening. Monday I also took off and have no plans. /livejournal

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
Speaking of automating installs, is there a way to set up powershell or some other program to start an install of a program, go through the next, accept, next, workstation name, blah blah blah finish, reboot? We are currently working to move another building into our newly expanded building and we've got around 40 to 50 computers to setup with custom software packages. Most of the installs can be handled by policies that we have set in place, but there are several sets of software where we need to put in passwords, server information, network information, etc. Is there anyway to automate that?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

AutoIT should be able to do most of that.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Now, I actually did LOL at this

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

fromoutofnowhere posted:

Speaking of automating installs, is there a way to set up powershell or some other program to start an install of a program, go through the next, accept, next, workstation name, blah blah blah finish, reboot? We are currently working to move another building into our newly expanded building and we've got around 40 to 50 computers to setup with custom software packages. Most of the installs can be handled by policies that we have set in place, but there are several sets of software where we need to put in passwords, server information, network information, etc. Is there anyway to automate that?

As long as the software uses the windows installer, you can pass options like that with msiexec. A lot of configuration options you can also ignore during installation, then overwrite the configuration file after the fact with one of your own.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

:yotj:

edit: Netadmin for a DOD contractor in Norfolk VA who are willing to sponsor me for a Secret. not the glitzy NoVA/DC job I was dreaming of, but seems perfect for someone with zero actual experience. very excited to start!

Update: said glitzy (not really) NoVA/DC job I was dreaming of gave me a verbal offer, to be followed by a formal one on Monday.

:shepface:

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
Grits! Welcome to D.C. if you're not already here. Be prepared for the crazy drivers, crazy traffic, the constant road construction, police out of no where, fun city culture, and hobo's that will stare you down.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Drink to forget, and play golf if weather permits. Combine the two for maximum efficiency. Currently , the weather is not permitting :(

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Live right next to the Airshow that's currently going on in the UK, so I get to spend most of my time trying to ignore jet engines!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

BastardAus posted:

Now, I actually did LOL at this

I was just wondering what non-IT stuff you guys all get into. Since this thread is so dead on the weekend it's nice to imagine that everybody gets away from the computer for the weekend.

dogstile posted:

Live right next to the Airshow that's currently going on in the UK, so I get to spend most of my time trying to ignore jet engines!

That's one thing I don't miss about living on a naval air station.

I just did an oil change, got a kid's birthday party (he's getting his first tablet), and tomorrow is a boring rear end day of work around the house (new lighting fixtures... yay).

I'll also probably read a book. This is a really boring weekend compared to normal.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I do pub quiz on Wednesday nights, so today's the day I promised myself I'd brush up on geography and national flags, so I'm playing a lot of QuizUp. I worked 6 12-14 hour days in the past week or so, so I have no intention of working too hard for once. I might bike 10 or 15 miles around dinnertime.

My brother and one of his friends are coming over later and we're gonna get trashed and sing karaoke. (We're all pretty decent, actually.)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Pray to the printer gods that nothing breaks while I'm on call this weekend. They already hosed up the VMs yesterday with their unmonitored global image push :bahgawd: and luckily they seemed to have fixed it.

I play video games, work out, do something with my girlfriend, watch the Liverpool match/Kings game/Gran Prix

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Misogynist posted:

My brother and one of his friends are coming over later and we're gonna get trashed and sing karaoke. (We're all pretty decent, actually.)

Hell yeah. Last time (first time) I went karaoke I had no idea what song to sing so I sand Holy Diver. It was with a bunch of Koreans so it was interesting.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

^^^ gently caress yeah, Dio :regd10:

Nowadays I do nothing because I have a 6 month old baby v:v:v When I actually had a life I rode my bike, homebrewed beer, went camping, went out drinking or to shows with friends. Watch a lot of baseball and football and sperg about fantasy sports. I actually love to cook so with my brewing time diminished I'm getting more and more into that since it has the side effect of feeding my family. GWS is the only other subforum I frequent.

Nerdrock posted:

Drink to forget, and play golf if weather permits. Combine the two for maximum efficiency. Currently , the weather is not permitting :(

The Welcome to Night Vale podcast (which owns) sells merch that should probably get auto-shipped to anyone passing a certain number of posts in the SH/SC IT threads.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 20, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Spend time focusing on certs, working at my local CC, working out at the gym, typing blog posts on how to's I realize "gently caress it", and drinking with a bunch of people in a stream while watching cartoons.

Basically just me after burning myself out from 5 days of trying to push my limit.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 20, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Docjowles posted:

^^^ gently caress yeah, Dio :regd10:

Nowadays I do nothing because I have a 6 month old baby v:v:v When I actually had a life I rode my bike, homebrewed beer, went camping, went out drinking or to shows with friends. Watch a lot of baseball and football and sperg about fantasy sports. I actually love to cook so with my brewing time diminished I'm getting more and more into that since it has the side effect of feeding my family. GWS is the only other subforum I frequent.

I know the feeling man. I have a few of my own. I even went so far as purchasing everything needed to homebrew, then sold it all after it sat in my garage for 6 months.

But yeah, rockin out Dio on karaoke was an event. Those koreans didn't know what hit them.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

drinking with a bunch of people in a stream

That sounds cool. You mean like floating down the river? Been wanting to do that.

I really have noticed a trend in these replies :cheers: (about to get into a few bottles myself. Stone's Go To IPA is incredible and I've earned it after a long day laser tagging a bunch of kids)

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

That sounds cool. You mean like floating down the river? Been wanting to do that.

I really have noticed a trend in these replies :cheers: (about to get into a few bottles myself. Stone's Go To IPA is incredible and I've earned it after a long day laser tagging a bunch of kids)

Ruthless IPA by Sierra Nevada owns, that and crispin the saint.

But actually I drink Foxhound Melot or 151 (because of calories), and by stream I mean drinking alone and watching stupid cartoons. I found going out to a pub with people after work and socializing meant I posted worse on the forums and bit into my study time, so I cut it out.

other than that I go fishing with my dad when he feels up to it, can't fight death for him... Just gotta make sure it's the most enjoyable for those who are still alive.

But eh, this isn't an on topic post and I have no idea why I am talking about poo poo that doesn't matter.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 20, 2014

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Tubing is awesome. Getting buzzed on light beer while you float down a crystal clear river in 90 degree heat is my favorite part of northwest summers. Highly recommended.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

NippleFloss posted:

Tubing is awesome. Getting buzzed on light beer while you float down a crystal clear river in 90 degree heat is my favorite part of northwest summers. Highly recommended.

Last time I tried that I got stuck on a rock and spilled my beer :(

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

NippleFloss posted:

Is tubing better than white water rafting? I went on my first triple diamond when I was 15(weather was over expectations). Told now I should have been 18, OOOPS.

http://www.adventuresonthegorge.com/rafting/new-river-single-day-rafting-trips/?nck=8555823397&gclid=CJKIk_aC078CFRAV7AodEG0AAg

I like this place because if you go during a light rain month they say at the meat grinder "if you fall over and don't swim to the right you will die".

What provides the most near death experience?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 20, 2014

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

For the windows domain admins out here, just found this. http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/avc_prot_2014a_en.pdf

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

NippleFloss posted:

Same here in the Midwest, better with :420:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CLAM DOWN posted:

Last time I tried that I got stuck on a rock and spilled my beer :(

That's why you bring more beer. A lot more beer.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Is tubing better than white water rafting? I went on my first triple diamond when I was 15(weather was over expectations). Told now I should have been 18, OOOPS.

http://www.adventuresonthegorge.com/rafting/new-river-single-day-rafting-trips/?nck=8555823397&gclid=CJKIk_aC078CFRAV7AodEG0AAg

I like this place because if you go during a light rain month they say at the meat grinder "if you fall over and don't swim to the right you will die".

What provides the most near death experience?

Tubing == spending an entire afternoon lazily floating down a fairly placid river in a tire, towing a ton of beer. White water rafting is, well, on white water and actually requires physical exertion and non-trivial chance of death depending on your guide, skill level and route. Both own, for entirely different reasons.

Now that I think about it, we're almost at the 1 year anniversary of when we went rafting on the Arkansas near Buena Vista, CO for my friend's bachelor party. I got put in the raft that consisted of me, 2 friends from the party who were hungover as poo poo and smoked a giant bowl right before shoving off, and an unrelated couple from Indiana who didn't know what white water was. The guide was totally oblivious and kept taking really aggressive routes through rapids. Eventually we flipped and had to swim like a quarter mile through gnarly rapids before we could climb out. It turns out, in life or death situations, your life does in fact flash before your eyes! Thankfully we all made it out fine. The guide was ripshit because she hadn't flipped a boat in like 4 years and the punishment for doing it was buying the other guides an enormous amount of beer. I didn't really feel bad for her.

Tab8715 posted:

Same here in the Midwest, better with :420:

Come to Colorado where you can do this legally :ssh:

NippleFloss posted:

this

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Docjowles posted:

Come to Colorado where you can do this legally :ssh:

Heh, you'd think it'd be a problem but it's not even enforced some days. :)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

NippleFloss posted:

I'm hopefully doing some tubing next month and I need to find an inflatable floating watercraft of some kind for this that has multiple cupholders.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
as a true goon I spent the entire day playing world of warcraft and drinking beer.

Tomorrow I am either going to chill with some friends in the east bay or have a repeat of today. Long week at work, no energy for anything meaningful. Next week looks to be a bit more relaxed, though.

Fake edit: for beerchat, today I had some Bell's Two Hearted Ale, Brouwerij Bockor Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge, Russian River Brewing Consecration, and Stone's Stochasticity Project Grapefruit Slam. Good times.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 20, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yesterday I nursed my dislocated shoulder and today I will do the same. The worst part is how it prevents playing with my infant son. Also am not allowed alcohol with the painkiller regimen I'm on. That's like 2 of my 3 favorite activities in the world, what the gently caress :/

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Huh, that's interesting. I've always thought MSE to be pretty good.

One thing that I always miss from AV comparisons is a score on how intrusive the AV program is. McAfee for instance is a tremendous resource hog, while you barely notice that MSE is there.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Collateral Damage posted:

Huh, that's interesting. I've always thought MSE to be pretty good.

One thing that I always miss from AV comparisons is a score on how intrusive the AV program is. McAfee for instance is a tremendous resource hog, while you barely notice that MSE is there.

Well, AV-TEST: http://www.av-test.org/en/home/

Has a performance column in the results, specifically for this reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Yesterday I cycled 26miles and today 50miles.
This evening I will be eating pulled pork sandwiches and setting up a new automated attendant for the office phone system. :woop:

• Locked thread