Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I will say: the Pabst brewery is really impressive and takes up like eight square blocks of downtown Milwaukee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Swan Oat posted:

Pedernales by Johnson City is a nice place.

I'm at a restaurant/bar right now. Should I get chicken fried steak, a hot dog, or a chicken parm sandwich? Help!

Need more info, what kind of weiner are they using in the hotdog?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
All beef, stuffed with cheese, wrapped in a taco for some reason

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'd go for that then, I've already had chicken today.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's not a hot dog. It sounds tasty, but it's not a hot dog.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

XyloJW posted:

You know how there are good beers, made lovingly and individually bottled with a unique flavor but they cost a lot, and then there are cheap mass produced beers that taste like piss but are good for getting drunk? PBR is the best of the cheap mass produced beers.

Yuengling's normally the same price as Bud/Coors/PBR/whatever and actually tastes like beer. But I guess that's an east coast only thing.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Joementum posted:

It's not a hot dog. It sounds tasty, but it's not a hot dog.

That's true, it's called a crispy dog on the menu. I apologize for my lack of precision Joementum.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

comes along bort posted:

Yuengling's normally the same price as Bud/Coors/PBR/whatever and actually tastes like beer. But I guess that's an east coast only thing.

Yuengling is a little to caramel-y for me but I won't turn it down.

Same thing with Camels, whenever I bum one from a friend they taste like lovely chocolate. Maybe it's my mega white genes.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I've never had Yuengling but people keep talking about it so now I want to. Same with Shiner Bock.

I'm drinking a PBR right now.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

XyloJW posted:

You know how there are good beers, made lovingly and individually bottled with a unique flavor but they cost a lot, and then there are cheap mass produced beers that taste like piss but are good for getting drunk? PBR is the best of the cheap mass produced beers.

So the everyday beer not the I've got friends coming over beer.

Carlsberg hmmmm.

My everyday beer user to be asahi but that was in the DINK days. I've been drinking red mostly these days.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Yuengling is a little to caramel-y for me but I won't turn it down.

Same thing with Camels, whenever I bum one from a friend they taste like lovely chocolate. Maybe it's my mega white genes.

Tell me more about how things should taste, person who smokes.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Chantilly Say posted:

I've never had Yuengling but people keep talking about it so now I want to. Same with Shiner Bock.

It's thoroughly mediocre, which is perfectly fine if you're outside doing stuff and drinking all day.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Chantilly Say posted:

Yuengling is the best of mediocre beers that really have nothing more to recommend them than 1) they're usually inexpensive 2) they probably don't contain the industrial additives like the real bottom-shelf brews do.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

So the everyday beer not the I've got friends coming over beer.

Carlsberg hmmmm.

My everyday beer user to be asahi but that was in the DINK days. I've been drinking red mostly these days.

I like Carlsberg. It may not be some overhopped spice-infused craft ale pissed out by magic kittens or whatever seems to be the rage these days, but it's good. Just a normal, crisp, refreshing, widely available lager.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Popular Thug Drink posted:

For actual real ciders, I would suggest Crispin, Jacks, Fox Barrel, J.K.'s, and Ace in that order. If you're on the West Coast or New England there's probably also some regional brewers worth checking out. Good brewers actually try to reduce the sugars into ethanol and don't add more sugar to mask the taste.

If you can find it, Blackthorn is a decent import as well. The same brewer used to make K which was very tart and dry, but I haven't been able to find it in the states for a long time now. Strongbow is ubiquitous poo poo. Also be careful of bandwagoners to the cider fad - there are multiple brands of macrobrew ale that just add artificial apple flavoring, meant to decieve you.

If this trend continues I would expect to see more imported craft English ciders, which are generally superior to American ciders. Then again cider is much more popular amoung English youth, with an according market of cheap swill, so that may be tarted up and sold in the states soon as well (Strongbow).

e: The best tip I can give you is to check the calorie count. A higher number indicates more sugar, meaning that there's either less alcohol or added sugar to mask the alcohol. Crispin Brownslane has about 180 calories in a 16.9oz can, Smith & Forge has about 280 cal in a 16 oz can which is just loving idiotic. They're currently ranked 97% and 30%, respectively, on ratebeer.com.

Thanks for the tip about calorie count, ciders have been exploding here in WA over the past few years. Crispin and JKs are pretty awesome, but I need to remember the local stuff I had a few weeks ago. I'll have to pick up some Brownslane and Blackthorn next time I go shopping.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Ciders are usually 200/bottle vs. 100-150 for beer (80-100 for a pour of hard alcohol for reference) but let's be honest: do you care?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

I don't think acid or shrooms are nearly as potent as that minute or so of complete ego loss from salvia.

Acid is so much more worthwhile. Salvia just...erases you, and then when you come back all the unpleasant after-effects of hallucinogens, and none of the experiential benefits. Ugh.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

here list of beer

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
I'm going to come clean here: I just don't get what the appeal of light beer is supposed to be.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

ReidRansom posted:

I like Carlsberg. It may not be some overhopped spice-infused craft ale pissed out by magic kittens or whatever seems to be the rage these days, but it's good. Just a normal, crisp, refreshing, widely available lager.

Yeah I don't mind carlsberg. The other beer I used to drink a lot of for the reasons you describe was Becks, but I don't know if they changed the process or recipe or my tastes changed but I got over it. Actually they did change, I stopped smoking about that time I stopped drinking becks.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I'm going to come clean here: I just don't get what the appeal of light beer is supposed to be.

Social inclusion? If I'm only out for a quick drink with friends I'll have a light so I can still have a drink and not worry about driving. Otherwise no, why drink light?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

R. Mute posted:

here list of beer

Smallbart Red Stout
Willamette Dental Surgery Quasibock
Ol' Overhopped Imperial Mouth Ruination
Just a Tallboy of poo poo

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

Yeah I don't mind carlsberg. The other beer I used to drink a lot of for the reasons you describe was Becks, but I don't know if they changed the process or recipe or my tastes changed but I got over it. Actually they did change, I stopped smoking about that time I stopped drinking becks.

Same on Beck's. Not my first choice, but if I'm somewhere I can't find Carlsberg, Stella, Kronenbourg, I'll work my way down to it.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Coors can't even get Colorado?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

XyloJW posted:

Coors can't even get Colorado?

The Blue Moon brewery is in downtown Denver.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Possibly the darkest thing I've ever seen on The Onion.

Jesus Christ, that's depressing.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
"Oops, that's not funny." :smith:

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

zoux posted:

When poo poo like yesterday goes down the eschatological evangelical doomsday Christian that lives in the back of my head starts to go "hmmmmmm".

Haha, you too huh? Makes me wanna comb through christian news websites and see how they tie this into the end times.

zoux posted:

I smoke a ton of weed, alright

Me too. I don't like alcohol that much. Rum and coke is good.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The world going to poo poo in a hand basket is a really good distraction from the fact that my personal life is already there

I have a bottle of Boulevard Smokestack series Imperial Stout from 2011 that has been sitting in my fridge for a very long time because I don't drink alone anymore. I wonder if it's any good still

zoux posted:

I smoke a ton of weed, alright

Pretty much this

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
One of the teams at the Netroots Nation pub quiz chose the name "It Is Our Sincerely Held Religious Belief That Team Names Are Abortifacients."

:golfclap:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

R. Mute posted:

here list of beer

So what (other than Stella) are common brands in Belgium? Belgian beer (not Stella) is great from what I've had.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
the fact that you guys all got drunk on beer in college instead of malt liquor tells me that you're bourgie as gently caress, 40s of Big Bear and Laser were like 89c each

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bag o goon was the pov choice in my younger days.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I don't know if I need to translate that.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

goon is bag/box wine right?

franzia cabernet is okay but the chillable red is so sweet just thinking about it gives me a headache

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

rscott posted:

the fact that you guys all got drunk on beer in college instead of malt liquor tells me that you're bourgie as gently caress, 40s of Big Bear and Laser were like 89c each
Vodka and rum were way more cost-efficient.

Also, not anywhere near as many calories.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

On the other hand...

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Todd Hanson, on episode 190 of Marc Maron's WTF podcast, talked about his suicide attempt and the dark hole that led him there.

He also said that of all the Onion headlines he wrote he was most proud of "Jenna Bush's Federally Protected Wetlands Now Open For Public Drilling".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

It's interesting how much effort LBJ spent trying to project confidence, whether in confrontations with colleagues, or discussions with his tailor, or driving cars into lakes, when we now know (thanks to the taping system) how totally insecure he was that he'd be perceived as weak in his policy toward Vietnam and how much that insecurity became a crippling obsession.
I have a lot of empathy for LBJ given his background and life trajectory and the fact that we both hate Vietnam!

ReidRansom posted:

Hofheinz was an interesting guy.
The Judge! Back when Houston was still interesting.

comes along bort posted:

When I lived in DC/NOVA, I could only get Shiner Bock at the various mediocre Tex-Mex places, so Yuengling became my go-to beer. It's not bad for a mass-market beer, yeah. Took a bunch home to dad and he liked it. I could never find it after that, even at Spec's.

• Locked thread