Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bugsy posted:

How the gently caress does neither Library nor Lotus get picked first in that pack?

Ancestral is defensible in against those two. Sol ring is definitely better. Mana crypt is plausible, though I think you'd be wrong to take it.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Ancestral is defensible in against those two. Sol ring is definitely better. Mana crypt is plausible,, though I think you'd be wrong to take it.

i don't play online. Are these picks that you get to keep or are the modern masters special and you only get to play with them?

if you get to keep them, then how is black lotus not the pick just for money?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

LaTex Fetish posted:

i don't play online. Are these picks that you get to keep or are the modern masters special and you only get to play with them?

Well, funny story.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

LaTex Fetish posted:

Its the Holiday Cube. Its not different from playing your friend's powered paper Cube (you don't get to keep them).

The issue is that there aren't that many cards that are better than Library of Alexandria and Black Lotus, which are supremely broken cards. Its basically Sol Ring and Ancestral Recall out of the entire pool of cards that exist.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 18, 2014

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Bugsy posted:

How the gently caress does neither Library nor Lotus get picked first in that pack?

There is only 1, maybe 2 cards that could have plausibly been picked out of there. Sol Ring, which is a very arguable pick vs Lotus if your spells aren't very color intensive. The other is Sylvan Library if you were already in green, and already had the Sol Ring (or other stupid nuts mana-accelerants), AND you were color intensive and planning on dumping your hand too fast to use Library effectively.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

e: double post, sorry. reply =/= edit

Angry Grimace posted:

The issue is that there aren't that many cards that are better than Library of Alexandria and Black Lotus, which are supremely broken cards. Its basically Sol Ring and Ancestral Recall out of the entire pool of cards that exist.

I would argue that Sylvan Library is a better first pick than Recall. Recall puts you ahead once, Sylvan Library will win you the game most of the time.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

3-0 with that one :black101:

Please tell me you got to live the dream of a mid-combat Chord for a billion off of SoFaF.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sylvan Library is approximately a gajillion times worse than all of the other cards under discussion. There's a reason they put it in the unpowered cube.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

JerryLee posted:

Please tell me you got to live the dream of a mid-combat Chord for a billion off of SoFaF.

Of course. Tutored up my Terastodon. I was one mana short of Emrakul, even with Convoke :(

cheetah7071 posted:

Ancestral is defensible in against those two. Sol ring is definitely better. Mana crypt is plausible, though I think you'd be wrong to take it.

Ancestral is the only possibility. All of the other cards mentioned were seen elsewhere.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Sylvan Library is approximately a gajillion times worse than all of the other cards under discussion. There's a reason they put it in the unpowered cube.

No, Sylvan Library is still broken as hell, there just aren't as many good answers to get with in unpowered cube.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

L0cke17 posted:

e: double post, sorry. reply =/= edit

I would argue that Sylvan Library is a better first pick than Recall. Recall puts you ahead once, Sylvan Library will win you the game most of the time.

The most wrong thing I've read today.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

What a Judas posted:

The most wrong thing I've read today.

You're welcome to disagree, however in the Modo Cube I still believe that they will provide you with a similar advantage over the course of your match.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

L0cke17 posted:

You're welcome to disagree, however in the Modo Cube I still believe that they will provide you with a similar advantage over the course of your match.

Recall is so far ahead of Sylvan. I'm not saying it's bad, but there is zero question that Recall is blatantly the better card.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Lord Of Texas posted:

Khans of Tarkir has cards. 250ish of them. We go through this every drat year, trying to figure out much of anything about the new standard before the fall set is spoiled is pointless.

I was answering his quiz, not agreeing with his point.

Rotation also removes the only 4CC wrath from the environment. As far as we know Wraths won't cost less than 6 anymore.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

What a Judas posted:

Recall is so far ahead of Sylvan. I'm not saying it's bad, but there is zero question that Recall is blatantly the better card.

Yeah that is definitely true, however if I opened both it is still something I would think about and possibly pick the Sylvan over Recall in several cases in that format.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If I'm being attacked by a whole bunch of things and want to prevent the damage from a specific creature by something that prevents "the next damage", can I specifically target it or am I out of luck?

Like for instance, preventing the 2 damage Haunted Cadaver deals with Aven Redeemer, when the Cadaver isn't the only creature attacking.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
on a scale of 1-10 how is my draft?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

neetengie posted:

on a scale of 1-10 how is my draft?

Very similar to what I posted earlier. I don't know why but green is WAY open most of the time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Very similar to what I posted earlier. I don't know why but green is WAY open most of the time.

Green has traditionally been the worst color in past holiday cubes--the traditional worst color, black, gets some neat tools in mind twist and the 4-mana world enchantments, and there's a ton of mana ramp everywhere making green's traditional strength less useful.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

cheetah7071 posted:

Green has traditionally been the worst color in past holiday cubes--the traditional worst color, black, gets some neat tools in mind twist and the 4-mana world enchantments, and there's a ton of mana ramp everywhere making green's traditional strength less useful.

Whatever it is, it's probably not a good idea to let one person have Green Sun, Chord, and Natural Order one after the other. I'm all for green flying under people's radar, that's my favorite color to draft.....except for colorless. Holy poo poo that artifact deck I drafted earlier was BRUTAL.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Got eliminated because of games 2 and 3, guy was running short on the clock but was a 5 color superfriends deck. I liked it though, so I'll try it again if able.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
FNM ragers are the worst, especially when you're not good at the game :(

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Rinkles posted:

If I'm being attacked by a whole bunch of things and want to prevent the damage from a specific creature by something that prevents "the next damage", can I specifically target it or am I out of luck?

Like for instance, preventing the 2 damage Haunted Cadaver deals with Aven Redeemer, when the Cadaver isn't the only creature attacking.

You can choose which damage to prevent, so you can stop the ability from triggering.

If damage would be dealt to the shielded creature or player by two or more applicable sources at the same time, the player or the controller of the creature chooses which damage the shield prevents.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Applebees posted:

You can choose which damage to prevent, so you can stop the ability from triggering.

If damage would be dealt to the shielded creature or player by two or more applicable sources at the same time, the player or the controller of the creature chooses which damage the shield prevents.

Thanks

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Alris posted:

FNM ragers are the worst, especially when you're not good at the game :(

If it helps, if they're raging in FNM they're probably not good at Magic either v:shobon:v

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
PSA don't play heartbeat of spring in your sick ramp deck. You don't need it. Can't remember if I streamed it or not, but I had a dude drop heartbeat and I untapped and played Nicole Breezey and exiled that thing. It is a really really dangerous card against basically all decks.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Not if you can go off the turn you play it

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

The March Hare posted:

PSA don't play heartbeat of spring in your sick ramp deck. You don't need it. Can't remember if I streamed it or not, but I had a dude drop heartbeat and I untapped and played Nicole Breezey and exiled that thing. It is a really really dangerous card against basically all decks.

i'm really biased because I've done some really fun things with heartbeat, but most times I run it out early, the opponent has very few ways to go as big or bigger than me. I could case less if they pop out a Wurmcoil, when I untap, its pretty much game over.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Gyshall posted:

Pretty much. I think that a Ulamog with Boon Satyr bestowed on it just helps you win the game. If he didn't have Rout, Simic Sky Swallower, Avenger of Zendikar and plant friends would have helped.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Gyshall posted:

What does this actually mean? If you have the 3 mana for heartbeat and also like 4 other lands to play your sick 8 drop why didn't you just play your sick 8-drop?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The March Hare posted:

What does this actually mean? If you have the 3 mana for heartbeat and also like 4 other lands to play your sick 8 drop why didn't you just play your sick 8-drop?

Why are you playing Heartbeat if not to break parity on one land being one mana and ramping to high heaven like some sort of insane supervillian?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Or heartbeat into untap effects then go off

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
This all seems like a lot of work when you could easily play good cards like:

Any other one-sided ramp spell, Mirari's Wake.

My point was more that more often than not, heartobeat is a massive risk that you really don't need to take. Particularly if you are homeboy rocking like 12 mana dorks. If his 6 mana dorks and or rofellos + signet aren't enough mana, then the Wake should handle it. Failing that I'm thinking the Eureka/S&T/Natural Order should get it done. That deck doesn't need heartbutt of springs.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 19, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's not a risk if you win the game.

The issue here is you seem confused as to what heartbeat does.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Spiderdrake posted:

It's not a risk if you win the game.

The issue here is you seem confused as to what heartbeat does.

I'm not confused at all, how does heartbeat win him the game? Where on the card is it printed that you win? Are you stalling on heartbeat for some magical land where you have 12 lands in play and 8 cards? Are you talking about a vacuum? I'm speaking specifically to the deck that was just posted w/ a heartbeat in it.

\/ Yeah sorry I should probably have quoted the deck, it was a few posts above my post. I know the card can do a thing in some decks, but the original point stands -- its really marginal. I think it is outright bad in ramp. Totally fine in combo.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 19, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The March Hare posted:

I'm not confused at all, how does heartbeat win him the game? Where on the card is it printed that you win? Are you stalling on heartbeat for some magical land where you have 12 lands in play and 8 cards? Are you talking about a vacuum? I'm speaking specifically to the deck that was just posted w/ a heartbeat in it.
Ah sorry the conversation sort of reads the last couple posts like you're talking about using it in general, both in ramp and combo. But seriously you can go bigger than most other decks and just win, a lot of good cube decks are very optimized and when given double mana they play another bear or a baneslayer or something that ramp doesn't care about.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I bubbled out at my draft as a 4-1 in a top 4, 5 rounds. :wtc:

There's probably a reason I don't go there much anymore.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Old local came back to town with his paper powered cube. Got to live the dream, treachery-ing a Consecrated Sphinx into Ultimating Tamiyo and putting chasm skulker into play, with Careful Consideration in hand just in case. Deck also featured lingering souls, Spectral Procession, Mox pearl, Hero of the Bladehold, Wall of Omens, Mana Drain, Power Sink, some sweet removal, Brainstorm+fetches+duals.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I imagine we're talking about Heartbeat in cube, where it really shines, but yeah, if you play it, say, turn 6 with 2 untapped lands and then frantic search/turnabout, or abuse it with bouncelands, Palincron, etc.

Otherwise just playing it on turn 3 isn't what you should be doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

BaronVonVaderham posted:

3-0 with that one :black101:

Sword of Body and Mind is in your sideboard? I'm revoking your cube privileges, gently caress your 3-0

edit: AND SKULLCLAMP. ARE YOU ACTUALLY INSANE

• Locked thread