Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I'm going to come clean here: I just don't get what the appeal of light beer is supposed to be.

Light beers are something that you can drink all day. They're a lot less heavy (weighty? viscous? taste-intensive? Cases could be made for all three) than other beers, have less alcohol in them, and are almost always less expensive and more widely available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

So the everyday beer not the I've got friends coming over beer.

Carlsberg hmmmm.

My everyday beer user to be asahi but that was in the DINK days. I've been drinking red mostly these days.

by "red" you better not mean tooheys red bitter because that poo poo is beyond revolting.

my everyday drinking beer is cascade pale or boags XXX bitter but i'm spoiled by living in tasmania where those two beers are among the cheapest available beers

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
also, i dunno about you north island people who are curious about the taste of pbr but 9/11 bottleshops here in tassie sell it.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Hedera Helix posted:

Light beers are something that you can drink all day. They're a lot less heavy (weighty? viscous? taste-intensive? Cases could be made for all three) than other beers, have less alcohol in them, and are almost always less expensive and more widely available.

Can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Hedera Helix posted:

I've had light beers that don't taste like anything at all. Piss would be a flavor at least. If it doesn't have at least as much flavor as like Yuengling why are you even bothering.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Hey! Guess what? Somebody's making marblebucks a reality! He even has the same business model:

quote:

[J. Chris Anderson] hasn’t released any code yet

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I have a tiny stomach and can't handle heavy beers, and I don't drink for the taste. If I'm drinking beer in the cul-de-sac out of a cooler, it's Miller Lite. The closest place within cycling distance has fourloko though, and that's easier on the wallet. I just have to work off the 700 calories per can.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

quote:

He’s the co-founder and chief software architect of Couchbase, a kind of new-age database with some serious cred among Silicon Valley developers.

*farts*

e:

quote:

“Everything has to start out as a joke these days,” he says. “Otherwise people won’t take them seriously.”

let me tell you about... dogecoin

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 19, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's like watching the last millenium all over again. Hey guys we have a great currency, everyone should use it.

We have a better currency - and it only works with our currency!

Wait, we already had a currency, stop loving things up!

Hey, check out our new currency - only available here!

Hey, that's three currencies, guys we already had a currency!

Ignore him USE OUR CURRENCY.

EDIT: And of course it's all about converting back to Dollars or Euros or whatever in the end, which makes it even more hilarious. Congrats, you've invented a worthless financial instrument and found a way to trade it for money. Wait until I tell you about CDOs.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
Does Wired ever not suck when it comes to dumb poo poo like this?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cercadelmar posted:

Nope. It's basically a nerdier Fortune/Inc./Fast Company.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tony Jowns posted:

by "red" you better not mean tooheys red bitter because that poo poo is beyond revolting.

my everyday drinking beer is cascade pale or boags XXX bitter but i'm spoiled by living in tasmania where those two beers are among the cheapest available beers

gently caress no, wine. Red, red wine.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cercadelmar posted:

My favourite Wired piece was the one where they said that having lots of data was a replacement for having a model or theory of what was happening.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

To be fare, a research model like:
  1. LOTS OF DATA
  2. ???
  3. GREAT PROFIT
is pretty big in academia and business these days.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Nope. It's basically a nerdier Fortune/Inc./Fast Company.
I still remember this exact cover working at my first startup's office in 1997 during the dot com boom and thinking, "Hmm, this magazine may be a little over the top."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
No fans of heavy stouts around here? I'm a big fan of New Holland's Dragon's Milk, which is one of the heaviest things I've drunk. Super-dark and delicious.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
When I'm in the mood for it Stone RIS or Old Rasputin or something is great. I don't think I've seen that particular one anywhere around here though.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION
all of you all y'all need to get down with true prole stylins and drink the cheapest handle of vodka you can, or filter rubbing alchohol until you go at least less blind

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dr. Witherbone posted:

all of you all y'all need to get down with true prole stylins and drink the cheapest handle of vodka you can, or filter rubbing alchohol until you go at least less blind

Surely you mean Everclear. :getin:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
tch, i only drink proper lumpen poo poo like quaint ethnic liquors made from fermenting apples in a boot out behind a toothless farmers wood pile. gets you in a mood to go full priest-ridden reactionary.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Light beers serve an important purpose: help get you drunk before/during a sporting event. However not so drunk you vomit all over the person in front of you after yelling at the 3rd pick six your lovely qb has thrown.

Or you know you want to just get drunk over the whole day. Like floating that's a good July way to get bombed.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
i was at a wedding in north carolina a few weeks ago and my chinese date was totally shocked that yuengling wasn't chinese beer

also right now i'm drinking apricot cider and my cats are sleeping on me, life is nice :3:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

DemeaninDemon posted:

Light beers serve an important purpose: help get you drunk before/during a sporting event. However not so drunk you vomit all over the person in front of you after yelling at the 3rd pick six your lovely qb has thrown.
Yeah, but for a given level of drunkenness they mean you need to piss a lot more, which kinda sucks at a sporting event.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
what's good posting music for this week?

here are my thoughts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfZVu0alU0I

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pope Guilty posted:

No fans of heavy stouts around here? I'm a big fan of New Holland's Dragon's Milk, which is one of the heaviest things I've drunk. Super-dark and delicious.

Come at me with the heavy stuff. Oatmeal stout is probably my favorite. Milk stout is awesome too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

illrepute posted:

what's good posting music for this week?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk_VszbZa_s

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, but for a given level of drunkenness they mean you need to piss a lot more, which kinda sucks at a sporting event.

Hold it until a timeout or something.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
A music was posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PseZpGfHK0

The music is for crying when kids die in gaza, aircraft and elsewhere.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

DemeaninDemon posted:

Or you know you want to just get drunk over the whole day. Like floating that's a good July way to get bombed.

this is some wisdom

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

SedanChair posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIoD3ztWEE8

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

This looks really good. I'll have to keep an eye out for something similar, since it doesn't look like they sell it outside of that one location...

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I've decided to forego beer for the next however long because my girlfriend just lost her job today, in Portland, a city that's not exactly doing great unemployment numbers. Go go two people scraping by on a single income.

Ironically, now all I want to do is drink.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Hedera Helix posted:

This looks really good. I'll have to keep an eye out for something similar, since it doesn't look like they sell it outside of that one location...

Try beerfinder.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

XyloJW posted:

I meant your use of "alco-pops" instead of "wine cooler" though I see you edited that in.

PBR is my favorite cheap beer. I don't know where you're getting it at craft beer prices, I can still get 36 for $15.
In LA theyre like 5-6 bux at a bar. In Portland theyre 2. Fuckin hipsters. Or yay hipsters? I cant keep track anymore.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

I've decided to forego beer for the next however long because my girlfriend just lost her job today, in Portland, a city that's not exactly doing great unemployment numbers. Go go two people scraping by on a single income.

Ironically, now all I want to do is drink.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully, she'll find a new job soon.

It doesn't look like any variety of "dragon's milk" is sold in Oregon.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Miltank posted:

this is some wisdom

How do you get drunk of light beer? What strength is light beer in the states? Here I'd have to hook up an IV because I don't think I could drink it fast enough to get drunk.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

How do you get drunk of light beer? What strength is light beer in the states? Here I'd have to hook up an IV because I don't think I could drink it fast enough to get drunk.

The word "light beer" can also refer to reduced calories. That's the main way it's used in the US.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Last time I was in the US I was really impressed by the beer, but utterly appalled at the coffee.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SedanChair posted:

A music was posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PseZpGfHK0

Here is what the Israelis listen to in place of that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Perfectly OK when you're tubing down a river though.

• Locked thread