Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Alison being a bit too wrapped up in herself is an interesting theme of this chapter. Earlier she was checking her phone while in the middle of meeting a guy. Now she's clueless about basic details of lives of people she spent years fighting alongside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Wittgen posted:

Alison being a bit too wrapped up in herself is an interesting theme of this chapter. Earlier she was checking her phone while in the middle of meeting a guy. Now she's clueless about basic details of lives of people she spent years fighting alongside.

To be fair, Clevin is one boring motherfucker

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
It's too bad rape culture got in the way of poor Clevin's attempt to score a date with Alison. I do like the implication from his little speech that Alison saved the life of every single person in Atlanta.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Wittgen posted:

Eh, she hasn't seen Sonar in years and it's unclear at best how close they really were in the first place.

I hesitate to really draw any meaningful conclusions from this.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Eh, she hasn't seen Sonar in years and it's unclear at best how close they really were in the first place.

I hesitate to really draw any meaningful conclusions from this.

oh come now. he was intimately aware of the recent events involving her family, and that was contrasted with her not even knowing the basic marital status of his parents. its just another bit of evidence of the alienation she feels from her supposed peers

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

oh come now. he was intimately aware of the recent events involving her family, and that was contrasted with her not even knowing the basic marital status of his parents. its just another bit of evidence of the alienation she feels from her supposed peers

Hell, she didn't even remember his parents' gender.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Well he is a bat.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Tenebrais posted:

Hell, she didn't even remember his parents' gender.

To be fair, he did decline to help her when Cleaver attacked her school. He might follow her on Twitter, but dear friends they ain't.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Alison is a protagonist, and she knows it. It's her whole conflict, and why she has such trouble accepting that she can't fix everything herself with one knockout punch. Of course she doesn't pay as much attention to the feelings of "supporting characters", or even her sister.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Cryophage posted:

To be fair, he did decline to help her when Cleaver attacked her school. He might follow her on Twitter, but dear friends they ain't.

What could Brad actually do against Cleaver though? If his ability is only relates to detection he would be absolutely useless in that confrontation. At best he could have helped clear the area.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

What could Brad actually do against Cleaver though? If his ability is only relates to detection he would be absolutely useless in that confrontation. At best he could have helped clear the area.

He fought Menace and Co. with the team for years. Either enhanced detection and good looks alone are enough to warrant being brought to a giant robot fight, or Brad is packing some additional facet to his ability that we haven't seen yet.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

She knew, she just didn't remember. There's a difference.

Him being aware of those events could be anything as simple as reading a facebook post. I'm not willing to spin a grand narrative out of this just yet. poo poo is too mundane yo.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Cryophage posted:

He fought Menace and Co. with the team for years. Either enhanced detection and good looks alone are enough to warrant being brought to a giant robot fight, or Brad is packing some additional facet to his ability that we haven't seen yet.

I don't think he fought in the same capacity as Alison though with some of the heavy hitting villains. In the first chapter we see him handling a non-robotic henchmen. I don't doubt that he was useful in a giant robot fight, just probably not for his ability to lift them with his bare hands.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

He's probably a really well trained combatant, definitely sounds disillusioned with the whole hero thing since he calls himself a mercenary.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

I don't think he fought in the same capacity as Alison though with some of the heavy hitting villains. In the first chapter we see him handling a non-robotic henchmen. I don't doubt that he was useful in a giant robot fight, just probably not for his ability to lift them with his bare hands.
Wow the art has certainly improved :eyepop:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Captain Oblivious posted:

She knew, she just didn't remember. There's a difference.

Him being aware of those events could be anything as simple as reading a facebook post. I'm not willing to spin a grand narrative out of this just yet. poo poo is too mundane yo.

I don't understand how the comic can be more blatent with the "Brad sees Alison as more of a friend than Alison sees brad" by having him remember details about her family and struggles, and her not remember anything about his. Whether he checked a facebook update, or got a call from her mom with the news, the fact is he seems to care more about Alison and her family than she cares about his. If it was as simple as a facebook update, it begs the question why Alison doesn't seem to bother reading Brads?

Remember the golden rule of comics/movies/books/etc. If the author shows it to you, it's for a reason. We're not viewing someone's life, we're viewing the scenes from that life the creator decides to put in. If you see something in a panel, there's probably a reason for it. If you see something stretched over multiple panels, it's almost certainly important. If you see something which has been referenced numerous times and is one of the main themes of the comic... yes, you can probably spin a grand narrative out of it.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Jackard posted:

Wow the art has certainly improved :eyepop:

I think the art quality has actually remained quite consistent for the entire run so far. It's just that the flashback feels like it is drawn in a slightly more exaggerated style for effect.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Cryophage posted:

On the page showing the headquarters we saw tanks and artillery and such, someone has to drive that gear.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Brawn is coming with Mudslinger as a partner. Mudslinger has only been used twice and both times he was a monster truck.

Gnaw is the rumored casemate and he's coming with his partner Gnash.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
what

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I'm fairly sure those are Transformers dudes. Probably posted in wrong thread?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
There is something that I find depressing; If we take what Brad is saying at face value (He may be acting passive aggressive here, and it was stated that all major super villains have been rounded up, so I may be off base here), then Alison, despite her best intentions, is pretty much responsible (if indirectly) for destroying the livelihoods of her teammates. It probably did not help that her response was "Poor Hector" to the guy who barely has anything to his name that is forced to start over :(.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 21, 2014

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
The very first time we saw Pintsize physically, he was riding in a limo.

Really, they're celebrities with unique abilities, government clearance, and thousands or millions of people who owe them their lives. As the first issue showed, they have licensed merchandise and everything; that alone should keep them for life.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

it was stated that all major super villains have been rounded up, so I may be off base here

Yeah, I think they Guardians are folding because they've punched away all the problems that could be punched. Alison was just the first to realize it.

Unlucky7 posted:

It probably did not help that her response was "Poor Hector" to the guy who barely has anything to his name that is forced to start over .

Wait, didn't we see Hector being driven around in a limo earlier? Why is Brad's car so tiny?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
True but how much of that money was truly theirs? It makes me think the government owns most if not all things associated to the guardians.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Cryophage posted:

Wait, didn't we see Hector being driven around in a limo earlier? Why is Brad's car so tiny?

Hector is kind of a flashy guy. Brad seems the type to value fuel efficiency and relative anonymity. Insofar as you can have anonymity with a bat head.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alopex posted:

Insofar as you can have anonymity with a bat head.

Which is probably why, to be honest.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Hector might also be rich on his own. Maybe he shrunk real small and designed powerful microcircuitry or something.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

idonotlikepeas posted:

Hector might also be rich on his own. Maybe he shrunk real small and designed powerful microcircuitry or something.

I think that's actually implied by the comic, seeing as he has his own nano-scale equipment. I can only imagine that he shrunk down to a size where he could easily assemble it all himself.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

I think that's actually implied by the comic, seeing as he has his own nano-scale equipment. I can only imagine that he shrunk down to a size where he could easily assemble it all himself.

Alternatively he makes/buys it at full size, and then shrinks it down.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I don't think Hector can shrink things down other than himself and his clothes, though. Remember, he takes a jet to New York, and then launches a different, smaller jet from the first. If he could shrink his equipment, why would he need a second jet?

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

I don't think Hector can shrink things down other than himself and his clothes, though. Remember, he takes a jet to New York, and then launches a different, smaller jet from the first. If he could shrink his equipment, why would he need a second jet?

Because it would take forever to fly the micro jet all the way to downtown New York.

Plus, it would probably run out of fuel mid-way.

Edit; Nevermind, I see what you mean now. Maybe the aerodynamics of a micro-plane vary greatly from a regular-sized one?

Cryophage fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 22, 2014

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Wow, Alison being wrapped up in herself was important. Who would have thunk.

I find it interesting that the point is that she used to be worse. It was a satisfying little twist. I see a bit of a parallel between Alison social power structures. Didn't used to give any thought at all to the weak, but is now still kind of sucky but at least aware that it needs to change. Brad reacts by seeing this as a very positive thing. I wonder if Pintsize or Moonshadow will have the other obvious reaction. Namely, gently caress you rear end in a top hat.

Also, is it just me or did Moonshadow used to be a little plump? Cool to see a bodytype in a superhero suit that you rarely see.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Moonshadow has been consistently represented as overweight in the past. In the present, she's shaped up - we first see her in the present working out. I'd guess this has something to do with Alison leaving.

I like the parallel between her relationship with the Guardians and this sequence:

It's also interesting that the tier classification is at least partially political. It makes sense - the Guardians seem to be the major crime-fighting organization, when they were active, so classifying them all as tier one probably increases their value as a deterrent.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Speaking of tiers, have we even seen any true tier ones besides Alison and Patrick?

Maybe Cleaver or Feral? They seem more tier two.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Jackard posted:

Speaking of tiers, have we even seen any true tier ones besides Alison and Patrick?

Maybe Cleaver or Feral? They seem more tier two.

Cleaver is equally as resilient to injury as Alison and can actually hurt (and presumably kill) her when nothing else seems able to. I would say he would count as equal tier to her just for the second part alone. Although the comic does bring up a good point that any real classification system is going be pretty arbitrary when you comparing wildly different things like super powers. How do you quantify the value of "punches hard" versus "gets tiny" or "is literally a bat man" in any meaningful way?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Cleaver probably shares enough of Alison's power set to be tier 1.

It's interesting getting a good look at the Guardians--Brad's right when he says Alison was kind of the whole of the team. Even if she was pretty unlikable, her sheer power is pretty much what made the group work. When she suddenly stands up, says "this is all bullshit", and quits, she's making a good point--it is bullshit at that point after all--she does it unilaterally and leaves everyone else in the lurch, which makes everything fall apart faster than it would have, but also makes everything feel very hollow for the others.

I don't think that Hector's the kind of guy who would really recognize Alison's change as keenly as Brad, or at least point it out to her. I think out of everyone we've seen, he's probably the guy who's most classically heroic in nature. We're going to get something more along the lines of Alison realizing how she's kind of stomped all over his dream, which fits with the theme of this chapter, that there is very much a wrong way to do the right thing.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Bussamove posted:

Cleaver is equally as resilient to injury as Alison and can actually hurt (and presumably kill) her when nothing else seems able to. I would say he would count as equal tier to her just for the second part alone. Although the comic does bring up a good point that any real classification system is going be pretty arbitrary when you comparing wildly different things like super powers. How do you quantify the value of "punches hard" versus "gets tiny" or "is literally a bat man" in any meaningful way?

Based on the way Sonar is talking about it in this page, the tiers seem to be related purely to combat abilities. He's saying he shouldn't be tier one because any idiot with a gun can kill him.

If it's pure combat ability, I'd bet the only tier ones we've seen are Alison and Cleaver. Feral might be, since her regeneration ability is clearly very powerful, but apart from that she's... maybe got some enhanced senses, maybe a bit of super strength? It doesn't feel like she's quite punching in the same weight class as the other two. Patrick is probably classified as tier one politically (or because he's got an army of killer robots), but his power is much more useful in non-combat situations. His best approach to a fight is going to be to notice the fight is coming way before anyone else and not be anywhere nearby when it happens.

If it's about non-combat ability as well, yeah, it's kind of ridiculously wide open. It might be more about generalized threat; that's how you get Patrick as a tier one. All he has to do is take a casual stroll through Washington (which we actually see him doing) and suddenly he's the most dangerous man in the entire country just due to the secrets he's got in his head.

The Lord of Hats posted:

We're going to get something more along the lines of Alison realizing how she's kind of stomped all over his dream, which fits with the theme of this chapter, that there is very much a wrong way to do the right thing.

I wasn't thinking about it like that, but you are absolutely right.

Edit: Also, I really really love the color for the flashback here.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 22, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Well also there is the fact that people don't know how Patrick's abilities really work and the limits on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I would consider Patrick's telepathy to be a tier one combat ability.

We haven't really seen any "supervillains" besides him and maybe Daniel

• Locked thread