Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don't understand why 10 episode seasons have any filler episodes at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semen Arsonist
Jun 7, 2014

by Ralp
the engineering officer reminded me of elliott rodger

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Giving this episode an A just because one of the devices in the lab was made by Bio-Rad, who have the best commercials for scientific equipment ever.

BIO-RAD SALUTES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't understand why 10 episode seasons have any filler episodes at all.
Because the showrunners don't intend to have the same amount of story as a 22 episode season.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I rather liked it. It started off a little weird (why not have the power blow out before the title sequence?) but I didn't mind it was pretty much a bottle episode for the most part. Good way to set up the different character relationships and all for the most part moving forward. (Tex is a blast to watch). Dunno if I liked the flashback, seemed a little pointless overall just to pay off that one bit of that scene.

But I'm sure that's enough. Can't wait for the :spergin: to begin.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This show is essentially Star Trek: Voyager.

And I'm okay with that.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Sober posted:

I rather liked it. It started off a little weird (why not have the power blow out before the title sequence?) but I didn't mind it was pretty much a bottle episode for the most part. Good way to set up the different character relationships and all for the most part moving forward. (Tex is a blast to watch).

How they keep events of previous episodes relevant is pretty well done. The Chief Engineer got shot in episode 2 and is still recovering, other people have to do take over, system damage in episode 3 is missed and everything goes to poo poo in episode 4. I'm pretty sure Tex will be a huge problem at some point, he's either an American who was imprisoned in Gitmo and put on a PMC's outfit or somehow connected to the people behind the virus.

quote:

Dunno if I liked the flashback, seemed a little pointless overall just to pay off that one bit of that scene.

It's good we got to see Babette from Boardwalk Empire again.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Josh Lyman posted:

This show is essentially Star Trek: Voyager.

And I'm okay with that.

So Tex is... Neelix?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I'm gonna be so mad when Tex is a villain or something goddamn it

look what you did CeeJee, look what you did

I am practically in tears

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
It's Camellia sinensis. :smug:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
If this wasn't a summer show, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't watch it.

Also, I keep laughing out loud at scenes that, I think, are supposed to be very meaningful or even solemn. It's all just much too hammy.

Is it just me?

richardfun fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 14, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Cpt.Wacky posted:

It's Camellia sinensis. :smug:
British people being smug about tea.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

British people being smug about tea.

It's just a stupid thing to say if you actually know anything about tea. Camellia sinensis is the botanical name of the plant that all non-herbal tea comes from whether it's black, green or whatever. Differences in processing or the location it's grown is what makes the different types of tea.

I'm really starting to hate this show for taking Rhona Mitra away from Strike Back.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

richardfun posted:

If this wasn't a summer show, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't watch it.

Also, I keep laughing out loud at scenes that, I think, are supposed to be very meaningful or even solemn. It's all just much too hammy.

Is it just me?

No, it's not just you, but drat it, I want to join the US Navy now.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sober posted:

I'm gonna be so mad when Tex is a villain or something goddamn it

I think he's CIA.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

hollylolly posted:

So Tex is... Neelix?
No, no, no. Tex is Tom Paris, duh. An outsider to the crew who (in addition to being a ladies' man) is only brought along because of how insanely useful he is. :eng101:
If Tex isn't a commando/nurse/engineer/historian/salamander by the end of its run, I hereby declare The Last Ship a commercial failure!

(Oh, and Navy Nerd-turned-soldier is Neelix. Obviously.)

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Octy posted:

No, it's not just you, but drat it, I want to join the US Navy now.

next week on 24 an f14 f35 buzzes the ships command tower thing

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm loving this show for what it is ... a 60s/80s Cold War/Star Trek xover with Captain Pike. Luckily I don't know enough about the Navy to spoil the fun.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I'm enjoying this show despite how jingoistic it is. I was rolling my eyes pretty hard when they made the scientist who actually wanted to share information one of the bad guys.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I'm disappointed Rhona Mitra hasn't gotten to fire a grenade launcher yet.

I suppose there's still time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

WarLocke posted:

I'm enjoying this show despite how jingoistic it is. I was rolling my eyes pretty hard when they made the scientist who actually wanted to share information one of the bad guys.

The jingoism, such as it is, is benign. The Captain just believes in a set of ideals that he associates with the United States Navy. And I don't think the scientist is portrayed as a "bad guy" per se. The show made his motivation clear and I suspect that much of the audience would agree with his desire to share information -- the Captain made a similar offer to the Russian captain. But his family is still in danger and because of his threats against the crew, he cannot be trusted to make decisions that are in the best interest of the crew or align with the Captain's mission.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
The show is actually pretty good with character moments, and reasonably subtle ones at that, for all the overt TNT style emotional moments that are also featured. The acting is reasonably good too and they've done a pretty good job featuring lots of little minor characters to make it seem like the ship is full of life and not just the few leads and then faceless background crew. All that stuff does make it a bit more palatable when the action slows down and makes an episode like this actually interesting to watch.

Panorama
Jul 25, 2003
I'm quite enjoying this for what it is and most of the techy errors go right over my head except for one small little thing. Unless I'm mistaken they seem to be measuring the vital temperature of the super essential scientific samples in Fahrenheit. I'm pretty certain that not even American scientists use Fahrenheit. Does anyone know what the US Navy uses? Stupid thing to be annoyed about but every time they mention 41 degrees it jars.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Cpt.Wacky posted:

It's just a stupid thing to say if you actually know anything about tea. Camellia sinensis is the botanical name of the plant that all non-herbal tea comes from whether it's black, green or whatever. Differences in processing or the location it's grown is what makes the different types of tea.
It was a joke. Rhona Mitra is British and she's being all smartsypants about green tea.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Panorama posted:

I'm quite enjoying this for what it is and most of the techy errors go right over my head except for one small little thing. Unless I'm mistaken they seem to be measuring the vital temperature of the super essential scientific samples in Fahrenheit. I'm pretty certain that not even American scientists use Fahrenheit. Does anyone know what the US Navy uses? Stupid thing to be annoyed about but every time they mention 41 degrees it jars.

You're right, it is a pretty stupid thing to be annoyed about. She was talking to a bunch of Americans so she said "41 degrees Fahrenheit" so they would understand what she was talking about (not to mention the mostly American audience).

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Panorama posted:

Yeah that was weird but I assume they were just writing for the audience. Last I checked, American scientists/army/navy/aerospace/etc also all use metric like the rest of the civilized world.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
[quote="Patrovsky" post="432fini212268"]
I'm disappointed Rhona Mitra hasn't gotten to fire a grenade launcher yet.

I suppose there's still time.
[/quote]

She's definitely going to fire the big turret gun

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

By the way, renewed for season 2

more :911: vs. :ussr:!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Does that mean that the messhall guy who has to play chess with the evil doctor is Harry or Tuvoc?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

It was a joke. Rhona Mitra is British and she's being all smartsypants about green tea.

Yeah, but the problem is she isn't being smartsypants.
Of loving course it's camellia sinensis! That's not some rare and exquisite blend the captain's never tasted before; the cheapest loving lovely tea in a cafe is camellia sinensis because that's the plant we get tea leaves from!

It's like giving someone some cheese, then when they go "Huh, this isn't cheese!" saying "It's a fermented dairy product; a fine gruyere!"

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Alright, forgive me for being an episode behind but here are my thoughts on E3. I'm doing a 4/5 doubleheader this weekend.

1) The Russian captain just casually kills one of his men. So when our hero Captain American McFreedom flipped the Russian patrol boat that'd shot his divers, I was sure the Russian wouldn't care again. The looks of discomfort on his bridge crew's faces made me think for sure the Americans were trying to get them to mutiny. Would've been brilliant but nope.

2) After they U.S.S. Cole'd the fuckers, I thought they were going to pull off an incredible :911: hostage rescue mission. Apparently not. I'm not sure how blowing one hole in a cruiser keeps it from shooting our heroes as they make their getaway. Or why Captain McFreedom didn't just light the Russians up when they had the advantage. The traitor scientist's wife (who they don't know for sure is even alive still) isn't more important than saving the vaccine from a nuclear-armed pursuer.

e: oh yeahhhh "I LOVE YOU STAY AWAY FROM ME"

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 19, 2014

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Well the Skipper said he wanted to run the ship like Big Navy is still out there. I'm not surprised they took the high road even though they were justified in retaliation. There's a big difference how our Navy and other navies operate. As much as I trash the Navy I saw a lot of good being done and met a lot of decent people.

The thing is the captain knows that the Russians are after a cure just like he is so if he can get one he'd share it and there wouldn't need to be a conflict between them anymore. They are just trying to survive the best way they know how. Besides they have no idea how many people are left in the world and he isnt too interested in potentially killing off what little remains.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

The_White_Crane posted:

Yeah, but the problem is she isn't being smartsypants.
Of loving course it's camellia sinensis! That's not some rare and exquisite blend the captain's never tasted before; the cheapest loving lovely tea in a cafe is camellia sinensis because that's the plant we get tea leaves from!

It's like giving someone some cheese, then when they go "Huh, this isn't cheese!" saying "It's a fermented dairy product; a fine gruyere!"

Guess she's just messing with him then. Since he's a normal person and doesn't know that fancy word for tea. You know how those British like to tease.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ITT people mad about tea!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm just waiting for them to meet up with a stupidly-named Nimitz-class or something captained by some similarly Draconian admiral so we can roll our eyes properly.

"Sir, I've got a coded signal coming in from a vessel two hundred miles away...it's the Pegasus!"

You just *know* eventually they're going to run into another ship that's had to do ~unspeakable~ things to survive, too. It's just too irresistible for mediocre writers not to use in these situations.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 20, 2014

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

e: oh yeahhhh "I LOVE YOU STAY AWAY FROM ME"

In the last episode when they are all on the beach and he saw her sitting all alone I was ready to call bullshit that nobody was trying to swoop in and chat her up, end of the world not that many women left crap aside, but because thats how the boat operates. Then a guy shows up with a drink and I'm like 'ok theres the real navy'. Realism achieved.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Wouldn't you expect them using AM radio transmissions at this point, to see who's still alive? I'd figure the world's armies have something like this somewhere on their checklist, in case of snow in summer. I mean, AM radiowaves bouncing off the ionosphere (or whatever -sphere they actually do) and all that poo poo.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I love how this last episode was basically :bsg: Water

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
I genuinely like this show. I like the fact they just had a scene with a long haired grizzled PMC guy alone with the primary female character and he didn't do anything stereotypically creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

prezbuluskey posted:

I genuinely like this show. I like the fact they just had a scene with a long haired grizzled PMC guy alone with the primary female character and he didn't do anything stereotypically creepy.

Geez Tex no means no

• Locked thread