Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Our love will last forever

TRP Post Of The Tournament Winner World Cup 2014
wrong thread re: the second one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Maradonna Summer posted:

wrong thread re: the second one

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 14, 2014

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
lol I'm sure Gerrard and all Liverpool fans would love to have Owen and Torres back at the club right now

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

"Terrible Sportswriter Dave Zirin posted:

I am often asked, given my love of soccer and my criticisms of how the World Cup is organized, whether it is possible in the twenty-first century to have the spectacle of top-notch organized sports and have it done ethically? Or, can it at least be done more ethically than the neoliberal carnival of debt, displacement and militarization we normally see?

Well yesterday, I witnessed a better, more humane version of the mass spectacle of soccer, and feel remarkably rejuvenated for the experience. No, I'm not talking about the World Cup final between Argentina and Germany. I'm not talking about an event that is supposed to be the apex of "the people's game" that the people cannot afford to attend. I'm not talking about an event surrounded by a one kilometer exclusion zone and guarded by a small army for the pleasure of a den of thieves including Vladamir Putin, Angela Merkel, Dilma Rousseff, and their pied piper of graft, FIFA chief Sepp Blatter.

I'm not talking about a final game that took place while protesters who had been promised by their government that they could assemble peaceably were tear gassed and shot with rubber bullets at the supposed fan-fest put on by FIFA for tourist consumption.

I'm not talking about an event that displaced thousands of people for the almighty purpose of producing billions in profits for Brazil's construction, real estate, and surveillance industries. I'm not talking about an event that put a fortune in the hands of Israeli armament companies and counterinsurgency "advisers" who market themselves as bringing the hands-on experience they have had turning Gaza into an open air prison, and then sell that experience to countries hosting the Olympics in the World Cup. I'm talking about another game entirely.

I'm talking about the game yesterday between the Seattle Sounders and the Portland Timbers here in the Emerald City. It was just me and 65,000 of my closest friends chanting, screaming, yelling and of course standing for the full ninety minutes as the Sounders beat the Timbers 2-0, led by the inimitable Clint Dempsey, scoring Seattle's opening goal and then hitting the cross bar at the end on a shot that would've been highlight material for the next year. Having recently returned from Brazil where I attended World Cup matches, it was not difficult to count off the ways that this experience was not only different but also "ethical" in the way a FIFA-run tournament could never be.

Let's start with the ticket prices. We were right there just a few rows up from the field for $24 bucks a pop. $24 would pay for about two minutes of World Cup action, especially if you bought your tickets through FIFA's don't ask, don't tell network of ticket brokers.

Speaking of the stadium, there was also not a one kilometer exclusion zone surrounding it and people could actually—even without tickets!—get near the facility that their tax dollars purchased. It is also worth adding that the Sounders play in the home of the Seattle Seahawks. As of now anyway there are no demands to build a new publicly funded stadium just for them.

I loved everything about the Sounders-Timbers game. I loved the singing of Woody Guthrie songs. I loved the signs. I loved the colors. I loved the group-cussing (to each their own.) I loved the chants and cheers that made it seem like everyone in the crowd had been rehearsing for hours before the start of game time. I loved that it seemed to be a combination of sports and Queen at Live-Aid.

I loved the fact that the six-year-old I was with had the time of his life and didn't sit down for ninety minutes. And I loved the play. Maybe it wasn't World Cup semifinals quality but it was passionate and powerful. Its very existence stands as a threat to FIFA: a living embodiment of the idea that there is an alternative to their wretched stench.

The Sounders-Timbers game, coming just hours after a desultory World Cup Final, entirety convinced me like little else that sports truly is like a fire and you can use a fire to cook a meal or burn down your house. In the hands of FIFA, the house of international soccer is burning down while they play a chorus of discordant violins. But this doesn't have to be the case. If we want ethical soccer on a local, national or global scale, then along with the out-of-control flames of greed, corruption displacement and match fixing, FIFA itself will need to be extinguished.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

its a bit worthy but not really that bad tbh

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

TelekineticBear! posted:

its a bit worthy but not really that bad tbh

it's more the fact that he was painting loving MLS as a "real" and "pure" alternative to major football

plus how Zirin, a man who rails against public stadium funding at all opportunities, forgets that the Seahawks stadium was itself publicly funded to the tune of $400 million dollars, but because of multiple Reasons (it's in Seattle, Richard Sherman is a Correct Thinker, etc.) he's willing to sweep this under the rug

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

It's one of the worst things I've ever read (second only to my post history)

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Everything terrible in that terrible post was outweighed by "pied piper of graft, FIFA chief Sepp Blatter" and I'll give it a pass

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
http://www.xoxohth.com/thread.php?thread_id=2618680&mc=7&forum_id=2

elanciano
Apr 2, 2013

I'm sure it's only a glitch. A temporary setback.

Troy Queef posted:

The Sounders-Timbers game, coming just hours after a desultory World Cup Final, entirety convinced me like little else that sports truly is like a fire and you can use a fire to cook a meal or burn down your house. In the hands of FIFA, the house of international soccer is burning down while they play a chorus of discordant violins.

Oh my god this guy zirin is retarded. Do their parents know that their retarded child is on the internet unsupervised?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

elanciano posted:

Oh my god this guy zirin is retarded. Do their parents know that their retarded child is on the internet unsupervised?

Do yours?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

One day I am going to travel to America, where I will find every American who didn't enjoy the World Cup Final because it didn't have eight goals in and kick them in the shins

I'd also like to see the Grand Canyon

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

FullLeatherJacket posted:

One day I am going to travel to America, where I will find every American who didn't enjoy the World Cup Final because it didn't have eight goals in and kick them in the shins

I'd also like to see the Grand Canyon

This isn't the fan fiction thread and anyway that's not a nice way to talk about Pissflaps' wife.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

holy gently caress

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

lol...

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

I'm starting an Arsene Wenger Lets Play in September, please look out for it.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
The Germany World Cup players are a joke

So when the referee ended the game, many wives of the german players entered the field to congratulate them. And I just realized that probably NONE of the players would have those girls if they weren't a top-tier soccer player. It's a joke, the women are with them only for their wealth and status.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/diego-semerene/mourning-the-national-phallus-brazil-soccer_b_5589437.html

quote:

The World Cup has always functioned as a kind of test of the power of the Brazilian phallus, or the illusion of such, outsourced to the 11 players on the field, who work their hardest to create the trompe-l'œil that will make us witness the spectacle and experience the frisson of a collective orgasm that says, "Yes, we all bow down to the same insuperable god."

quote:

Instead of looking for culprits to blame for this humiliation, we would do well to welcome it as an opportunity to seek something other than the fiction of heteromasculinity's astonishing force with which to orient our lives. Let us look for the richness and pleasures of loss and accept the very idea of loss as an essential part of being alive and human. If soccer has worked in Brazil as a great defense mechanism against that truth -- that we are born to lose from day one (cells, hair, teeth, loved ones, time) -- we should bury the myth of an invincible Brazilian manliness, which comes alive every four years to flex its muscles and keep everything in place, as Brazilian soccer becomes something between a museum piece and a joke. Perhaps now we can unburden our children of the weight that a soccer jersey imposes (be a man, be infallible) and allow them the freedom to wear the costume ("fantasia" in Portuguese) that they see fit -- or none at all. Let us stop using soccer as the only language that Brazilian men are allowed to (and demanded to) speak. Let us reject soccer as the all-important marker of gender difference and arbiter of whether a boy is properly Brazilian or a disposable "bicha." Let us not measure the value of who we are through an institution built on the bullying of losers with homophobic insults, from the less-obvious "chupa" ("suck it") to entire stadiums chanting that a certain player is a human being.

by

Diego Semerene

Filmmaker, queer theorist and Ph.D. candidate at the University of Southern California

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I agree, Brazil's football identity needs more flamboyance

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

I went shopping there it was pretty nice but lmao that name made me think of this thread and I did a lol

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Rename me this. Or No Room ft. Fabregas.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

I think I love this.

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

Von Linus posted:

I think I love this.

show him hair-sexing with john henry please

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

gently caress

quote:

Luckily, you have me, your Russian Premier League–watching, tactics board–chalking, Opta Stats–devouring Gandalf,

this is bad

http://grantland.com/features/world-cup-soccer/

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
How can you say that, when it's brought suqit.txt.avi into our lives?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGuaQ1khn2k

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

euroboy posted:

I went shopping there it was pretty nice but lmao that name made me think of this thread and I did a lol

I went there just to get a sticker to take home and remember but then I left with pink shoes and a ball sewn by hand by poor Afghani women. I later kicked the ball onto the roof of a bar while drunk and angry which I feel is good allegory for US international refugee policy or something.

It's a nice place though don't let the name fool you.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

Recommending people to watch their local league if they wanna watch football sounds pretty reasonable?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Holy...

Like we had the Gerrard Cup Final or the Stanley Matthews Final - this is the Ayre Window.

Wow.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Puseklepp posted:

Recommending people to watch their local league if they wanna watch football sounds pretty reasonable?

If the piece is supposed to get people into football, saying their best option is Calvinball league with a negligible TV footprint doesn't seem like a very good idea. Meanwhile you can watch every Premier League game on U.S. TV, and NBC actually cares about the production values there.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Godzilla07 posted:

If the piece is supposed to get people into football, saying their best option is Calvinball league with a negligible TV footprint doesn't seem like a very good idea. Meanwhile you can watch every Premier League game on U.S. TV, and NBC actually cares about the production values there.

It's really easy to watch the MLS. I rarely do but you're being an idiot about it. Also the gap between the production values is negligible.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Seltzer posted:

It's really easy to watch the MLS. I rarely do but you're being an idiot about it. Also the gap between the production values is negligible.

Nah sorry he is right

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Seltzer posted:

I know you dudes go into a tizzy whenever anyone says anything bad about MLS but there is no comparing MLS, with its bad pay streams, blackouts, and lovely local channels and poo poo to the excellent availability of the EPL on NBC.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I've literally wanted to watch MLS, for whatever reason, multiple times this season and been unable to each time because of the league's idiotic pay-to-watch streaming service, lack of illegal streams, and poo poo tv presence.

It's a crap mickey mouse league that they're running like loving idiots. The Premier League on NBC is a better product and easier to access.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Seltzer posted:

incorrect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I know you dudes go into a tizzy whenever anyone says anything bad about MLS but there is no comparing MLS, with its bad pay streams, blackouts, and lovely local channels and poo poo to the excellent availability of the EPL on NBC.

"You dudes". I've watched 3 MLS games this year. I guess that's how much of an MLS fan I am cause I thought it was accessible. NYRB games seem to always be on as well as bigger games like Seattle Portland.