Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wark Say posted:

Anyway, I had a question that, perhaps, could yield a recommendation: Tell me, is there a manga / anime where a tsundere doesn't come off as insufferable? I know this seems like a loaded question and that it's all in the eye of the beholder and whatnot, but when I think about characters that fit into the tsundere mold, I can think of very few examples, like Steins;Gate's Kurisu or Servant x Service's Yamagami, that don't come off as incredibly obnoxious. I used to be okay with the whole fiery attitude and whatnot when I was in high-school / college, but when you start seeing the authors really phoning it in, it kinda felt incredibly annoying.
Offhand, I'd consider Clannad's Kyou and Fate:Stay/Night's Rin to be examples of tsunderes done right. There seem to be two routes that the archetype tends to go down: either short, Rei Kugumiya-voiced shrews who act angry at the world in general and lash out at the person they're ostensibly supposed to be in love with at the slightest provocation, or proud but otherwise fairly well-adjusted characters who have a hard time admitting to themselves that they're in love and are more likely to blush and get flustered than hit someone. The former are obnoxious, the latter I somehow never get tired of even though I recognize that they're a heavily-used staple of romcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

If a character is simple enough to be accurately referred to with a term like that, then it's a garbage character.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wark Say posted:

Anyway, I had a question that, perhaps, could yield a recommendation: Tell me, is there a manga / anime where a tsundere doesn't come off as insufferable?

Zakuro from the series Otome Yokai Zakuro probably fits that description, she pretty much only acts that way because Kei has a couple character traits himself that really push her buttons. It's an adaptation of a manga by Lily Hoshino who did the character designs for Mawaru-Penguindrum.

It came out in 2010, and it looks like crunchyroll still has it.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/otome-yokai-zakuro

coathat
May 21, 2007

Barnaby from tiger and bunny the main character of Inu x boku are also good tsundere characters.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Wark Say posted:

Anyway, I had a question that, perhaps, could yield a recommendation: Tell me, is there a manga / anime where a tsundere doesn't come off as insufferable? I know this seems like a loaded question and that it's all in the eye of the beholder and whatnot, but when I think about characters that fit into the tsundere mold, I can think of very few examples, like Steins;Gate's Kurisu or Servant x Service's Yamagami, that don't come off as incredibly obnoxious. I used to be okay with the whole fiery attitude and whatnot when I was in high-school / college, but when you start seeing the authors really phoning it in, it kinda felt incredibly annoying.

Yamagami isn't the tsundere in Servant x Service, that's Toko, who actually has a perpetual angry popped-vein mark.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

StandardVC10 posted:

Yamagami isn't the tsundere in Servant x Service, that's Toko, who actually has a perpetual angry popped-vein mark.

Toko was the little sister, right? I guess she was more predominantly tsundere, but part of what I liked about Yamagami was the fact that she constantly saw Hasebe and she was aware of how good he is at a bunch of things, but every time she tried to see him in a better light, he seemed to deliberately go out of his way and push her buttons, and her reactions seemed fairly in-line with what is commonly accepted as tsundere behavior.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Having almost finished Chaika and gotten about half way through Log Horizon, my views on the two eventually switched. I started out liking Chaika more and was put off by Log Horizon's :words: approach; ultimately Chaika got pretty boring by the end. Maybe it's just nostalgia talking but I wound up thinking that it was essentially a much less interesting Scrapped Princess.

Log Horizon still sometimes lapses into "Here, let me explain what cooldown is" but it's shaken things up enough that it's become an entertaining setup. You can kind of see shades of Maoyuu here and there with the protagonists trying to take advantage of the world for their benefit.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I would like one anime please.

My only request is that it not be a slice of life, or anything among those lines. Also preferably no longer than 26 episodes. Thanks.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cake Attack posted:

My only request is that it not be a slice of life, or anything among those lines. Also preferably no longer than 26 episodes. Thanks.

Zetsuen no Tempest. The first three episodes are kind of a slog, but believe me: It gets SO much better afterwards.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

Bodacious Space Pirates

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Cake Attack posted:

Read or Die OVA I haven't watched the main series so no opinion on that yet.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

a kitten posted:

Bodacious Space Pirates

I'll second this.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

One random anime? In that case you cannot go wrong with Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still.

And if you have watched it, then watch it again.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

unpronounceable posted:

I'll second this.

I'll third it. It was pretty good.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Thanks for the recommendations so far, although before it gets out of hand I'll say that I've watched Bodacious Space Pirates.

Keep em' coming though! (Also you don't actually have to recommend only one, that was just me saying things stupidly.)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Kokoro Connect is also good. drat good.

e: And... poo poo, are you kosher with oldies? Because G Gundam is a fun ride I just revisited a few weeks ago and I just realized that I still love all the cheesy action.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 15, 2014

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Wark Say posted:

Zetsuen no Tempest. The first three episodes are kind of a slog, but believe me: It gets SO much better afterwards.

I'll second this, one of the better shows of 2012-2013 that nobody talked about.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Cake Attack posted:

Symphogear

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Tiger & Bunny. One of my favorites.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Srice posted:

One random anime? In that case you cannot go wrong with Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still.

And if you have watched it, then watch it again.
I will take this advice! (Seriously, the Giant Robo OVA is crazy good, and everyone should watch it)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Started watching Hunter X Hunter again thanks to the epsiode stuff given out earlier. Holy loving poo poo the first half of ep 128 is literally the most homoerotic stuff I've ever seen. I don't even know.

Thanks Japan.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

God, I can't believe how good Dorohedoro is. All the characters are fantastic, the art is filthy, grungy, grimy and yet great, the character designs are interesting and unique(and usually revolting), the humor is top notch, and the story while initially complete nonsense (possibly due to the lovely translations) is at least going somewhere now. I am really digging this and I'm only 25 or so chapters in. Nikaide, Noi and Ebisu are all fantastic (especially Ebisu), and Caiman is a really fun "protagonist" who alternates between horrific violence and slaughter, to Goofy-esque silly shenanigans, often in the same chapter. Noi and Nikaide are both surprisingly strong characters, Noi being a hulking Amazonian woman who is the brawler of her duo is a pretty nice change of pace, whenever she's fighting, she actually LOOKS like her blows should be doing the damage they do. I also figured Ebisu would be just another kill tally for Caiman, but she's become just fantastic comic relief after getting rescued, even if she seems to have picked up a few Brain Problems from getting chomped. Noi's ability allows for gruesome mutilation of all the magic-side "protagonists" without them being permanently disfigured, which makes for good comical moments too sometimes!

I'm going to say that this series is a must-read! I hope it keeps up the amazing quality it's had so far. Oh, and Jonson is my favorite gag character. Seeing him in a baseball uniform was something else.

I don't know how much he's showed up yet for you, but I really liked En (and pretty much his whole "family", including Noi, Shin, etc). I think part of what is so great about Dorohedoro is that it creates a completely unique fantasy/sci-fi setting in a genre which is full of copied concepts. Just about every sci-fi or fantasy title out there borrows at least some major tropes, but Dorohedoro's world (and its customs) and magic are both completely unique.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, holy poo poo chapter 60. gently caress. Jesus

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Recently watched through Hellsing Ultimate (up to episode 8, since I'm watching dubbed, and apparently 9 and 10 will be released dubbed this fall anyway?), and I pretty much loved it. Are there any other excessively bloody, over-dramatic, VIOLENT animes worth watching? Also is the original Hellsing anime worth watching?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ninjewtsu posted:

Recently watched through Hellsing Ultimate (up to episode 8, since I'm watching dubbed, and apparently 9 and 10 will be released dubbed this fall anyway?), and I pretty much loved it. Are there any other excessively bloody, over-dramatic, VIOLENT animes worth watching? Also is the original Hellsing anime worth watching?

Everyone dumps on the original Hellsing anime but frankly it's no more stupid than the source material/OVA, and unlike either it has one aspect which is genuinely good: the soundtrack.

Try Berserk and Black Lagoon if you haven't seen those. Or better yet read Berserk because neither adaptation is especially well-animated or complete.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ninjewtsu posted:

Recently watched through Hellsing Ultimate (up to episode 8, since I'm watching dubbed, and apparently 9 and 10 will be released dubbed this fall anyway?), and I pretty much loved it. Are there any other excessively bloody, over-dramatic, VIOLENT animes worth watching?

Apocalypse Zero is pretty good, but it doesn't finish the story and the over the topness in how violent and sexually explicit it can get while still being about a hero of justice who saves people may turn you off.

Tokyo Ghoul just started and is very awesome, but it's censored(though uncensored versions apparently exist).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, holy poo poo chapter 60. gently caress. Jesus

Just looked up what happened in chapter 60, and yeah, the series is not afraid of introducing pretty major changes in the plot. I'm really envious that you still have more than half of the series left to read. I really hated when I reached the most recently translated chapters (particularly since I had thought the series was finished).

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

WickedHate posted:

Apocalypse Zero is pretty good, but it doesn't finish the story and the over the topness in how violent and sexually explicit it can get while still being about a hero of justice who saves people may turn you off.

Tokyo Ghoul just started and is very awesome, but it's censored(though uncensored versions apparently exist).

Apocalypse Zero is heinous. Don't watch it. It's super gross.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DamnGlitch posted:

Apocalypse Zero is heinous. Don't watch it. It's super gross.

It's fairly neat if you can get past the shocking stuff. It's up to the individual's tolerance for that sort of thing. I don't remember how much exactly the OVA covered but I read through the manga back when the forums were down and it had a pretty good moral message and stuff. The obscene things are meant to be that way because they represent the disgustingness of evil that is contrasted against the goodness of the hero and their friends.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The OVA is all I've seen and it's cheap looking 90s shock shlock.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

Are there any other excessively bloody, over-dramatic, VIOLENT animes worth watching?
There's the Devilman OVAs. The first two are really good, the third not so much but lots of drama and violence in all of them.

Shigurui is a good one.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Devilman third OVA is ridiculous how brutal it is in the first 10 minutes. Totally bonkers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ninjewtsu posted:

Watch Gantz if you want a bloody good time, but only up to the end of the Temple Game (which is somewhere around Episode 18-ish, if I recall right). After that it had caught up with the manga and then goes batshit terrible with it's final arc. Ironically the manga did too, in the end.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ninjewtsu posted:

Watch the first episode of Genocyber, then maybe the next two if you just want the gore without any of the inventiveness. Pretend episodes 4 and 5 don't exist.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Fuuuuuuck, I thought Dorohedoro had finished already, but apparently there's one volume not yet published, and I just hit chapter 127. I've not bought the series yet, but it's definitely on my list of "series to buy when I have the cash" because poo poo, Dorohedoro is fantastic.

I think one of my favorite aspects of the latter parts of the series is (major spoilers)Nikaido's transformation and her antics related to it. I'm not one for fanservice normally, but this artist draws it really well and it never hangs around for too long, often being used in humorous ways as well(Nikaido's idea of a devilish outfit, for example). There's something about devil-entranced Nikaido's EXTREMELY HAPPY FACE that makes me laugh at almost every panel she's in. I'm actually glad she's the "main" character and not Kaiman, as happy as I am to see him make his inevitable return. Jonson is also a surprisingly solid character even without any backstory to speak of, and seeing Lil' Baby Jonson in one of Nikaido's time jumps was adorable :3:. My biggest complaint might be that there was a fairly long period where it dragged with all the poo poo about Risu/The Boss/Aikawa but that's come to a head(or multiple :v:) and I'm really curious as to what'll happen in the finale.

Honestly my biggest issue/fear is that I am really unsure of how the author will tie up everything they've set up nice and neat with a bow on top in a single volume including epilogue for this long-running series. I mean, it's the final showdown, sure, but I feel like we're still going to get at least one or two more exposition dumps which will likely take up a chapter or two on their own.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 19, 2014

coathat
May 21, 2007

Good news about that ending. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-07-19/monthly-ikki-magazine-suspends-publication/.76839

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

loving noooooo :negative:

I know nothing about these kinds of situations, what are the odds of it getting finished in a different publication? Non-zero?

Captain Invictus posted:

Fuuuuuuck, I thought Dorohedoro had finished already, but apparently there's one volume not yet published, and I just hit chapter 127. I've not bought the series yet, but it's definitely on my list of "series to buy when I have the cash" because poo poo, Dorohedoro is fantastic.

I think one of my favorite aspects of the latter parts of the series is (major spoilers)Nikaido's transformation and her antics related to it. I'm not one for fanservice normally, but this artist draws it really well and it never hangs around for too long, often being used in humorous ways as well(Nikaido's idea of a devilish outfit, for example). There's something about devil-entranced Nikaido's EXTREMELY HAPPY FACE that makes me laugh at almost every panel she's in. I'm actually glad she's the "main" character and not Kaiman, as happy as I am to see him make his inevitable return. Jonson is also a surprisingly solid character even without any backstory to speak of, and seeing Lil' Baby Jonson in one of Nikaido's time jumps was adorable :3:. My biggest complaint might be that there was a fairly long period where it dragged with all the poo poo about Risu/The Boss/Aikawa but that's come to a head(or multiple :v:) and I'm really curious as to what'll happen in the finale.

Honestly my biggest issue/fear is that I am really unsure of how the author will tie up everything they've set up nice and neat with a bow on top in a single volume including epilogue for this long-running series. I mean, it's the final showdown, sure, but I feel like we're still going to get at least one or two more exposition dumps which will likely take up a chapter or two on their own.

I agree with this analysis almost 100% by the way, I felt like the period after Kaiman lost his head / died but before Nikaido started to really become the main character and the whole devil thing was a bit weak but apart from the pacing maybe being a little bit erratic lately everything else has been great.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 19, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I'm dead

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hey Goons, will I like Hell Girl if I enjoyed Sky High?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Not gonna lie, I am legit depressed about this, and I almost never care that much about entertainment media.

edit: I was just looking at the ANN reviews for volumes of Dorohedoro, and two gave the story a C and the other one gave it a D. I could see someone not being that into the art or story, but a D? Really?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 21, 2014

• Locked thread