Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I always assumed mobile gaming in Japan was more for 3DS and Vita than smartphones but I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's almost entirely Smartphones and 3DS'.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just as long as Bravely Default sequels keep coming out. That's the only good jRPG since PS2 era.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Captain Mog posted:

I mean, I agree that it's not a big deal at the end of the day because video games but I can see what he's trying to say. They used to be really good and make quality games- in fact, some of the best games out there- but now they're shooting for the least common denominator due to consistently misinterpreting what their fans want. For example, their focus on mobile iOS games comes from a gross (and common) misreading of the gaming industry, which is the assumption that "gamers" now prefer gaming on their cell phones. This isn't true because often those who play games on their phones aren't really gamers in the first place but people looking to kill time while on the train to work or outside of class or something. It just looks that way since so many people have cell phones, many more than do game consoles. Most of those people probably don't even know what Dragon Quest is.

Is it making them money? Probably. Is it what their fans- what the average "Final Fantasy" geek wants? No, totally not.

So your argument is basically you deciding who is the "true fan" and who's just an imposter.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's me, the Final Fantasy imposter.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

Just as long as Bravely Default sequels keep coming out. That's the only good jRPG since PS2 era.

Don't worry Square-Enix plans to make it a yearly series.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is there going to be a long wait time between Japan and American releases with the sequel?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Isn't SE's 'focus' on mobile gaming mostly just re-porting the usual suspects(FF1-6, FFT, maybe a Chrono Trigger)? I'm not sure what's wrong with that, those are probably super small projects that make decent bank not taking much manpower or budget away from the Real Games.

I'll get worried when Bravely Third or DQXI gets announced for mobile.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Electric Phantasm posted:

As we all know from other genres, the annualisation of the jRPG will only lead to an improvement of quality. Goddammit, Square, you were doing so well!

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

So your argument is basically you deciding who is the "true fan" and who's just an imposter.

No, it has literally nothing to do with who's the "true fan" at all (whatever that means). Do you seriously think playing a Final Fantasy game on a cramped iPhone with touch screen controls is preferable to playing one on the 3DS? I downloaded the FFV remake for my iPhone and stopped playing ten minutes into it because of how much I hated having to use my thumb on the screen to navigate around instead of an analog stick.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

Is there going to be a long wait time between Japan and American releases with the sequel?

It probably won't be as long as the first. It would be messed up if we got Bravely Second by the time Japan got Bravely Third.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Brother Entropy posted:

Isn't SE's 'focus' on mobile gaming mostly just re-porting the usual suspects(FF1-6, FFT, maybe a Chrono Trigger)? I'm not sure what's wrong with that

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nooooooooooope, gently caress this disgusting abortion of a port.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

That only furthers my point that they're cheaply-made cashgrabs and won't be replacing console/handheld games anytime soon. :colbert:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Aww I like the "Espier" screenshot more :(

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

As we all know from other genres, the annualisation of the jRPG will only lead to an improvement of quality. Goddammit, Square, you were doing so well!

I mean, I agree that for big budget HD projects you certainly need more than a year, but for something like Bravely Default? Nope.

Terper fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 19, 2014

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Brother Entropy posted:

Isn't SE's 'focus' on mobile gaming mostly just re-porting the usual suspects(FF1-6, FFT, maybe a Chrono Trigger)? I'm not sure what's wrong with that, those are probably super small projects that make decent bank not taking much manpower or budget away from the Real Games.

I'll get worried when Bravely Third or DQXI gets announced for mobile.

I think they also do a slate of F2P Card games.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Brother Entropy posted:

Lighting is actually really cool and popular as hell in Japan so pushing her is one of the smarter things SE has done recently. You don't have to like her but pretending to be speaking for The Fanbase by calling her awful and forced is kinda silly.

No one called bullshit on this so I'm doing it. Yeah, maybe Lightning is popular in Japan but not in other territories and yet, when it came to Final Fantasy, all the other territories only got more Lightning and SE actually declined to localize Bravely Default themselves. They've even declined to bring over some smart phone IP's as well. SE has been doing a pretty terrible job with their IPs outside Japan for a long while now.

ARR and recognizing BD's success have been a huge wake-up call to them and they've admitted as much. Hopefully they start making better calls. Chasing down the Type-0 translators with lawyers is probably not a good idea considering at this point, the ball is in SE's court to actually convince their western fanbase that they give a poo poo about them.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 19, 2014

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

bloodychill posted:

No one called bullshit on this so I'm doing it. Yeah, maybe Lightning is popular in Japan but not in other territories and yet, when it came to Final Fantasy, all the other territories only got more Lightning and SE actually declined to localize Bravely Default themselves. They've even declined to bring over some smart phone IP's as well. SE has been doing a pretty terrible job with their IPs outside Japan for a long while now.

ARR and recognizing BD's success have been a huge wake-up call to them and they've admitted as much. Hopefully they start making better calls. Chasing down the Type-0 translators with lawyers is probably not a good idea considering at this point, the ball is in SE's court to actually convince their western fanbase that they give a poo poo about them.

Where did I say they weren't making mistakes with their IPs? I just said 'more Lightning' has been one of their good steps because the Japanese fans showed that they liked Lightning, even if goons don't.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Brother Entropy posted:

Where did I say they weren't making mistakes with their IPs? I just said 'more Lightning' has been one of their good steps because the Japanese fans showed that they liked Lightning, even if goons don't.

What I'm saying is that "more Lightning" in the west is equivalent to continuing to fumble their IPs. It is extremely fair for western fans to point at FF13 and its sequels and say "don't ever loving do that again to us" especially when lovely sequel sales numbers and stats in brand loyalty back them up.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Japan's sales of FFXIII were 1.7 million. Worldwide were 6.6 million. That just further shows Square doesn't really know how to prioritize.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

they aren't actually pushing Lightning as hard as people claim though

like, the XIII trilogy was made solely to reuse assets and recoup costs on the original XIII, and of course lightning plays a big part in them since she was the ostensible protagonist of XIII

also tbh everyone i've met in real life who still gives a gently caress about ff likes lightning so :shrug:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

bloodychill posted:

What I'm saying is that "more Lightning" in the west is equivalent to continuing to fumble their IPs. It is extremely fair for western fans to point at FF13 and its sequels and say "don't ever loving do that again to us" especially when lovely sequel sales numbers and stats in brand loyalty back them up.

So what, they just shouldn't have released the 13 sequels in the west at all? Would that have somehow been less of a fumble? Making more games with that engine + those assets seemed like kind of a no-brainer to help re-coup how much money 13 must've costed to make.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Brother Entropy posted:

So what, they just shouldn't have released the 13 sequels in the west at all? Would that have somehow been less of a fumble? Making more games with that engine + those assets seemed like kind of a no-brainer to help re-coup how much money 13 must've costed to make.

There's a little bit of sunken costs fallacy to that but ignoring that aspect, abagofcheetos' point stands. 25% of 13's sales (at roughly 7.2mil units total) were in Japan. Nearly 50% of Lightning Returns sales (at roughly 1mil units total) were in Japan. If SE wants to make money on console games, they need to take a better look at what westerners want and they've admitted as much.

This isn't some screed against Lightning. I don't hate the character. She was boring but so are half of FF protagonists. The games just weren't fun and the stories weren't interesting enough to get me through the unfun. After finishing FF13, I wasn't aching for more.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 19, 2014

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Well I mean, my original post that started this was in response to someone complaining that SE forced a bad character like Lightning on the fanbase for an entire generation or whatever so this is kind of a different discussion entirely. I feel like the sunk costs fallacy doesn't apply too heavily in this case because of the nature of re-using assets but I'm not feeling it strongly enough that I'll argue against the points you're raising.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Terper posted:

I mean, I agree that for big budget HD projects you certainly need more than a year, but for something like Bravely Default? Nope.

Huh. I stand corrected. IX and X are some of the best games in the series and they managed to come out in consecutive years. Though I suppose they must have been in parallel development to some extent. I guess we'll see. I certainly hope BD2 is good.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

CottonWolf posted:

Huh. I stand corrected. IX and X are some of the best games in the series and they managed to come out in consecutive years. Though I suppose they must have been in parallel development to some extent.

Different teams, as far as I'm aware.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's also kind of important to remember that Something Awful is not the sole arbiter of what people like or dislike.

Lightning is not as popular overseas as she is in Japan but she isn't this widely-loathed thing either. One of the big criticisms of FF XIII-2 was that it had Lightning all over the advertising and you played as her once, even in the US. There's a pretty loud fanbase who does like the character. It doesn't happen to be the aging nerds who loved FFVI but it's real and demonstrable. Supposedly the Lightning-themed events in FFXIV have been pretty popular for example and the merchandising sells well even in the US. (Although they have a lot less of it than in Japan.)

LR did something wrong because it undersold Square's expectations even in the country which demonstrably really likes Lightning. The big thing I've been able to find is a near-universal bad response to LR having a time system. Like, people really, really, really responded badly to that. In Japan, at least, the bulk of the negative reviews I can find push two things: The time system and the 500 year time gap. People genuinely disliked both of those features. In the US, there's another factor to add to it: the costume system. It looked gross, manipulative and disgusting before release and honestly is pretty gross, manipulative and disgusting even in the actual game even if you can choose to wear just non-lovely outfits.

The three of those represent a lot more of a combined IP failure than "using a popular character." Each of them drove of a demonstrable number of customers who may otherwise have enjoyed the game or the gameplay. LR was probably never going to be a billion-seller but the heavy focus on lovely fanservice and a time system alone kind of doomed it.

There's a market for lovely Fanservice Games but, kind of oddly, it doesn't have that much overlap with the FF crowd. FF fans tend to be the very casual RPG players where FF is one of the only JRPGs they buy. Maybe FF and Dragon Quest in Japan. It also tends to have a larger-than-average female audience who, unsurprisingly, are largely not interested in Lightning wearing thongs and cat ears.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 19, 2014

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

ImpAtom posted:

It looked gross, manipulative and disgusting before release and honestly is pretty gross, manipulative and disgusting even in the actual game even if you can choose to wear just non-lovely outfits.

Counterpoint: Beards

FF13-3 is the best worst Final Fantasy.

The truly worst worst is After Years.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

How Rude posted:

The truly worst worst is After Years.

A Final Fantasy so worst that it ruins other Final Fantasies.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Concerning the Type-0 HD remake price upgrade, chances are they will have to make a lot of changes for the console version from the original handheld version as it had a big focus on local play (which is why I lost interest in the translated version, it felt like a bad rehash of Monster Hunter with its short missions in repeating areas) so chances are they are also including an online mode to make up for what was one of the selling points of the game. Which can't be an easy or quick thing to add.

What does everyone think of the announced FF Record Keeper - http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/17/final-fantasys-greatest-battles-remixed-final-fantasy-record-keeper/ it looks like a bit more work has gone into it than All The Bravest at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Concerning the Type-0 HD remake price upgrade, chances are they will have to make a lot of changes for the console version from the original handheld version as it had a big focus on local play (which is why I lost interest in the translated version, it felt like a bad rehash of Monster Hunter with its short missions in repeating areas) so chances are they are also including an online mode to make up for what was one of the selling points of the game. Which can't be an easy or quick thing to add.

What does everyone think of the announced FF Record Keeper - http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/17/final-fantasys-greatest-battles-remixed-final-fantasy-record-keeper/ it looks like a bit more work has gone into it than All The Bravest at least.

Eh. Looking at the actual screens it looks still Simplistic iPhone Thing instead of even just generic FF battles. If it was the latter I'd be more interested.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

That loving Sned posted:

This quote is almost as good as the thread title.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That loving Sned posted:

this is the only way one can truly describe that game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

this is the only way one can truly describe that game
Or, y'know, a mediocre and kinda poorly written sequel with a couple of decent moments.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
In fact, why don't we list our special moments with The After Years instead of dwelling on the bad, like how this thread always seems to get dragged back into a FFXIII discussion. I personally liked the forest segment with Yang and Ursula when they were lost in the woods and you travel around with a band of Monks beating stuff up with your bear hands. Another thing was the Bands, even though the majority of them were kind of a waste.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Different teams, as far as I'm aware.

Ive heard rumors that FF9 was going to be considered a spinoff since it was coming out after the PS2 already launched but it became fully fledged enough that they made it a true sequel somewhere in development. Can't prove it though.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

There's a Japanese rom hack of FFVI called "Final Fantasy T Edition" that's pretty interesting. New music, new events and quests, gameplay changes, etc. Of course it's in moon language, but maybe one day someone will translate it. You can get it here and right at this moment, Tomato of Mother 3 fame is playing through it on his twitch if you're bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gologle posted:

In fact, why don't we list our special moments with The After Years instead of dwelling on the bad, like how this thread always seems to get dragged back into a FFXIII discussion.

I liked that you could permanently kill the Eblan Four because I hated them.