Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

AshB posted:

I can safely say this show has finally become everything I wanted it to be. If only it could've been this in the first two books.

The dialogue was pretty painful at times, and hippy valley milf did seem to be a bit too sassy for her age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress the dude with the sky bison pelt. Just seeing that made me sick.

Seriously, the idea of Bosco & sky bison being killed for steaks is one of the darkest things in this show.

EDIT: Yeah I know, murder-suicide, but those guys were assholes.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 19, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I kind of wish Tenzin were wiser than he is.

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012
Why do I hate the sky bison poacher more than I've hated every villain in LoK so far?

Also is it just me or does the theme for the Fearsome Four sound like an eeeeevil version of the old Avatar theme?

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Tenzin has been a frustrating character for a while now. He already learned with Korra in Book 1 that you can't just force things on people and they need to learn in their own way. Book 2 solidified his development by having him finally accept that he's supposed to be his own person instead of forcing himself to be like Aang. But now Book 3 has him retreading these arcs by making him Book-2-Bolin-level stupid.

The "two steps backward, one step forward" arc worked really well when they did it with a young Zuko in TLA. But it's not charming at all with a dude who we're supposed to believe is already the master of a culture known for their wisdom and tranquility.

And his bending isn't that great. :vince:

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

AshB posted:

Tenzin has been a frustrating character for a while now. He already learned with Korra in Book 1 that you can't just force things on people and they need to learn in their own way. Book 2 solidified his development by having him finally accept that he's supposed to be his own person instead of forcing himself to be like Aang. But now Book 3 has him retreading these arcs by making him Book-2-Bolin-level stupid.

The "two steps backward, one step forward" arc worked really well when they did it with a young Zuko in TLA. But it's not charming at all with a dude who we're supposed to believe is already the master of a culture known for their wisdom and tranquility.

And his bending isn't that great. :vince:

Dad just doesn't understand. Once Jinora figures out boys, she'll totally get it and daddy will step aside. [/damtthetweens]

Ps. I'm pretty sure there was something phallic about those flowers

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bongo Bill posted:

I kind of wish Tenzin were wiser than he is.

Tenzin's big flaw is that he doesn't really understand the airbender philosophy of changing the angle of attack when encountering resistance. Tenzin is stubborn as hell and keeps trying the same thing over and over, and only gets more irritable when it doesn't work (which is very earthbender of him. Did he pick it up from Lin?) Even as far back as the season one premier, he basically hit a wall when Korra couldn't understand his airbending lessons, and instead of trying something different he just doggedly stuck to the same strategy and blew up at Korra when she suggested something different like pro bending. His stubbornness and inability to adapt have been the driving character flaws of Tenzin, next to his inferiority complex towards his father. Considering he overcame the latter in season two, I'm hoping the former will (finally) be addressed in season three.

Or you know, maybe he'll just job like usual against Zaheer so somebody else can look more awesome at his expense. :v:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Sydin posted:

Or you know, maybe he'll just job like usual against Zaheer so somebody else can look more awesome at his expense. :v:

You know, I think it'll be fighting Zaheer that finally gets through to Tenzin. When he sees someone else who has just as faithfully learned, mastered, and memorized Air Nomad culture and even mastered Airbending take it in such a very, very different way everything's going to click for him and he's going to realize he can't just stubbornly huff and puff and hope to blow anything anywhere.

I suspect this change will be shown in Tenzin finally letting Jinora have her tattoos, illustrating that he's ready to accept new people as his equals with new ways of thinking.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

You know, I think it'll be fighting Zaheer that finally gets through to Tenzin. When he sees someone else who has just as faithfully learned, mastered, and memorized Air Nomad culture and even mastered Airbending take it in such a very, very different way everything's going to click for him and he's going to realize he can't just stubbornly huff and puff and hope to blow anything anywhere.

I suspect this change will be shown in Tenzin finally letting Jinora have her tattoos, illustrating that he's ready to accept new people as his equals with new ways of thinking.
They better do a post credits tattoo pain gag to appease the censors.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Sithsaber posted:

They better do a post credits tattoo pain gag to appease the censors.

I'm pretty sure it'll be more of a "Tenzin says she can have it, she hugs him, fade to black" kind of deal and she'll just casually have them next time we see her, possibly not until next season.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm pretty sure it'll be more of a "Tenzin says she can have it, she hugs him, fade to black" kind of deal and she'll just casually have them next time we see her, possibly not until next season.

But that would make kids want full body tattoos. Nick can't have that. Adding pain would appease the Gods of FCC

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will say that I was kind of amused but also kind of rolled my eyes at the fact that Varrick is now Literally Tony Stark.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I did like how Bumi got to get a bit of genuine competence this episode, rather than just being usefully incompetent. Helped address some of the mismatch between his rep as one of the Republic's top officers and... just about everything we see of him on screen.

It's sadly ironic that the best Korra season yet also seems to be the one Nickelodeon is trying hardest to sink.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 19, 2014

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
That watermelon gun! :stonk:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Why couldn't all episodes be as :3: as this last one or as solid as the one before.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

That watermelon gun! :stonk:
Return of Melon Lord! Mwahahahaha!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

These were some great episodes so far! I was a bit disappointed with how aimless the first few ones seemed to be - there didn't seem to be a huge arc, and the villains were largely a non-entity -, but I have to say, this season has found its rhythm. Rebuilding airbender culture actually feels like a proper arc, with all the difficulties the protagonists have, especially Tenzin's struggle. I was also disappointed how the spirits weren't terribly relevant - we only got to see a single one in the first episode! -, but then they started reappearing. Those few scenes in the spiritwild were quite something, and I love how you get glimpses of silly spirits in the nature occasionally. And finally, the Lin from Season 1 has returned - that metalbending fight reminded me of some of the best TLA fights, with the three metal panels and the metal walls involved in the fight... Lin totally would've won if it weren't for acupuncture + home advantage for sister + no sweet police equipment, though! Not that anyone really won that one...

Also, I have to say that Tenzin continues to be my favorite character. I really like how he clearly has flaws, but he is so well-meaning and, when he doesn't stand in his own way, gentle - I really want to see where this goes. The season feels more like his and Lin's story so far, really. And since they're the best characters, this clearly is the best season so far. :haw: Seriously though, I'm looking forward to Tenzin's arc this season. He seems to be very central thus far, to the point that Zahir vs. Tenzin seems much more likely than Zahir vs. Korra. And I really hope that happens, too.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The "look to the left, now look to the right, one of these people isn't making it out alive" gag was the best.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I can't recall if they even mentioned this or not but since most of the new Airbenders were non-benders before does this mean Opal was a black sheep in her family? A non-bender surrounded by benders like Bumi?

Also, is Team Avatar just gonna continue chilling in Metal City and Opal is going to NAT by herself? That doesn't seem like something Su would allow but Korra didn't sound like she was preparing to move out when speaking with Tenzin. However if Team Avatar were to move out, maybe that would be a chance for Lin to teach Bolin and Korra more metalbending stuff :)

i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010
Book 3's been on a roll so far; hopefully the keep it going through the finale. We now know that the villains (Red Lotus) want to assassinate President Raiko, so maybe they're anarchists? Zaheer is pretty hardcore into Airbender philosophy and air is the element of freedom. They tried to kidnap Korra when she was a kid. As the Avatar she's kind of the ultimate authority figure in the world who was going to be raised under the Order of the White Lotus - an ancient and powerful organization. Then there's the Earth Queen being a tyrant and Suyin thinking the monarchy is outdated. We don't know much about them yet, but I just really like these villains. They're cool and have some great chemistry, and I love how they had Ming Hua drive the getaway van with her water arms. P'Li has some rad loving hair now. I hope they stick around for book 4.

These two episodes were great to pair together. Lin and Tenzin are so alike: stubborn, by the book, and resistant to change. They both have rebellious siblings that annoy them; however Suyin appears to have grown up and matured whereas Bumi's still petulant and manchildish. It's fun to see how different they get over their sibling problems. Tenzin does the Aang thing and ends up talking to Bumi whereas Lin pulls a Toph and gets in a big fight with her sister before working stuff out.

Edit: With so many characters moved up to the Northern Airtemple, will the Earth Queen try to take it and reclaim her airbenders? She did consider taking them an act of war, and now they've stopped her trappers.

i hate meatloaf fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 19, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
My impression was that the Red Lotus only really wanted to assassinate the President to get Korra's attention. It didn't feel like it was really a goal, so much as a means to an end. Though I guess them being anarchists would explain their beef with the Avatar. A part of me kind of hopes that they explore Aang's fuckups a little more, and maybe give them some kind of grudge against Aang for having done something to them specifically.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

My impression was that the Red Lotus only really wanted to assassinate the President to get Korra's attention. It didn't feel like it was really a goal, so much as a means to an end. Though I guess them being anarchists would explain their beef with the Avatar. A part of me kind of hopes that they explore Aang's fuckups a little more, and maybe give them some kind of grudge against Aang for having done something to them specifically.

Is Red Lotus the official name for their group?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

hiddenriverninja posted:

No clue, but it seems a decent enough thing to call them for now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Suggests they're renegade White Lotus, which would explain both why they're a multinational team and some of their relationship with the Avatar.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

Looks like it. Some tumblr people found the name buried in Nick's file name for a picture of them. I'm always amazed by internet nerds' ability to CSI the poo poo out tiny media releases.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
More fanarts:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

i hate meatloaf posted:

Looks like it. Some tumblr people found the name buried in Nick's file name for a picture of them. I'm always amazed by internet nerds' ability to CSI the poo poo out tiny media releases.
Also the logo for the goddamn season is a Red Lotus and we're all loving stupid for not seeing it before.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

No clue, but it seems a decent enough thing to call them for now.

I don't know... The Killer & Kidnapper Quartet has a better ring to it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I have a feeling that the subset of airbending is not going to be something as straightforward as sound or even astral projection. With all the emphasis they've been putting on the more esoteric origins of airbending -- gurus were mentioned twice in this latest episode, with Guru Lahima being brought up for the third time this season -- and with one of the upcoming episodes of the season being titled "Enter the Void," I predict that the airbending subset is going to be voidbending. Just as metal is considered an element in Chinese metaphysics (and Suyin specifically referred to it as one of the elements in the sixth episode), the void is an element in Japanese philosophy that has some connections with sky and air.

How in the world would you bend the void and what would it even do or look like? No idea whatsoever. :buddy:

On a related note, I realized if I existed in this universe then I would absolutely be Otaku, which is both encouraging and discouraging.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

BrianWilly posted:

How in the world would you bend the void and what would it even do or look like? No idea whatsoever. :buddy:

Voidbenders warp space itself and can literally teleport from one place to another, dilate or accelerate time, or create rifts in the spacetime continuum.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I thought the last two episodes and this season so far are pretty great!

Notes:

*romance bullshit is much more endearing/bearable when its actual little kids doing it
*Milo is still great
*Tenzin is still hilariously blockheaded
*They're redeeming Bolin and Mako!
*Holy crap, Korra is learning about these mysterious brain things called "suspicion" and "manipulation"

The poachers were a pretty great group of one-shot villains. Its kinda like Umbridge were when I saw one of them was wearing a skinned baby sky bison I really wanted his poo poo to get hosed up and Kai delivered And Tenzin wasn't too down on him for it! Maybe this will be his turning point?

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I wouldn't say they redeemed Mako so much as reduced his role in the story. And I'm okay with that.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
This season... is good!

FriedDijaaj
Feb 15, 2012

Lessail posted:

This season... is good!

Nature is constantly changing... like the wind.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Of course the show could take a sudden turn to the left. Like making Zaheer Korra's dad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaheer is actually Asami's mother. She wasn't killed by Firebenders after all.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Aces High posted:

I can't recall if they even mentioned this or not but since most of the new Airbenders were non-benders before does this mean Opal was a black sheep in her family? A non-bender surrounded by benders like Bumi?
In addition to the power disc twins and Skrillex, we briefly see that Suyin has an eldest son who works with her husband the architect. We're not explicitly told if he's a non-bender, but we never see him do any bending.

Aces High posted:

Also, is Team Avatar just gonna continue chilling in Metal City and Opal is going to NAT by herself? That doesn't seem like something Su would allow but Korra didn't sound like she was preparing to move out when speaking with Tenzin.
Well, the Beifongs are filthy rich and could probably arrange their own transport to the Northern Air Temple pretty easily.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm curious to see where Bolin's metalbending plot goes. Maybe it's just an excuse for him to get a bit more combat potential considering he's pretty crap otherwise but it'd be interesting to see if they take it somewhere unusual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Aces High posted:

think the dad is a non bender, if he could he wouldn't need Suyin and later his oldest son to build his designs for him

quote:

Also, is Team Avatar just gonna continue chilling in Metal City and Opal is going to NAT by herself? That doesn't seem like something Su would allow but Korra didn't sound like she was preparing to move out when speaking with Tenzin. However if Team Avatar were to move out, maybe that would be a chance for Lin to teach Bolin and Korra more metalbending stuff :)
id bet on the red lotus raiding the city to go after Korra, probably kidnapping Opal in the process. They have said "safest city" so much you know something is coming, and they need a reason (like a hostage connected to the team) to send team avatar after them instead of just running.

• Locked thread