Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The Operative posted:

Why did Nintendo stop selling larger batteries for the GamePad? I can't find them in stock anywhere.

Someone posted upthread a ways that supposedly they're coming back in August. That said, you can buy and use this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321299877605?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Operative posted:

Why did Nintendo stop selling larger batteries for the GamePad? I can't find them in stock anywhere.

They're going to be back in stock on Nintendo's site soon supposedly.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

jivjov posted:

Someone posted upthread a ways that supposedly they're coming back in August. That said, you can buy and use this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321299877605?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

SeANMcBAY posted:

They're going to be back in stock on Nintendo's site soon supposedly.

Thanks! Can anyone vouch for the one in that eBay listing? I've had some bad luck with third party batteries in the past.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

The Operative posted:

Thanks! Can anyone vouch for the one in that eBay listing? I've had some bad luck with third party batteries in the past.

Someone said it was great when I was looking for a battery 50+ pages back.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

the Trilogy version of Prime 1 is hilarious because missiles are still really good and you can shoot them around corners.

Rapid firing them is still really easy. They took the time to fix all these super obscure glitches speedrunners use to skip rooms but didn't bother to fix firing 3 missles/sec and loving destroying the first half of the game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

turtlecrunch posted:

At the start of this year I did not think I would ever buy a WiiU. Then, unfortunately, Nintendo announced the Zelda game and all my hopes and dreams of not spending so much money went away. It only became a question of timing, because I also wanted a PS4 (for Bloodborne, Last of Us, etc).

Today was decision day. I went to Best Buy just to see what games were already out for each system, and PS4 had literally nothing of interest while WiiU had tons of games I have heard are well-reviewed (plus easy multiplayer accessibility). I ended up going with:

$200 refurbished WiiU deluxe from Nintendo
1 extra Wiimote+ and nunchuk
1 cradle from Amazon
Mario Kart 8 (will choose Pikmin 3 as my freebie)
Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

For some reason I thought Bayonetta2 was already out, but I think I'm good to go for now. Very excited after not having a reason to use any of my consoles for a long time. :allears:

I also have a Wiimote with Motionplus and nunchuk, as well as a classic controller. Will my friends be able to play local multi with me using those or do I need to get another one of the big gamepads for each of them?

Pick up a WiiU Pro Controller for $30 during the Best Buy sale next week. Use it for Mario Kart and DK Tropical Freeze. You're welcome.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
NSMBU is the best platformer ever. Nintendo's formula is still holding up somehow it's incredible. Why in gods name can't I play using a nunchuk though, NSMBW supported it and I played the whole way through like that... it's the same game.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

turtlecrunch posted:

$200 refurbished WiiU deluxe from Nintendo
1 extra Wiimote+ and nunchuk
1 cradle from Amazon
Mario Kart 8 (will choose Pikmin 3 as my freebie)
Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

You did it right. This is the best deal for this generation's consoles right now, IMHO. Get Shovel Knight as well. I just finished it last night, and it's great (you can get $5 off of it because of your Pikmin download).

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I'm still getting errors trying to redeem my platinum Club Nintendo reward. I figured everything would kinda settle down by now.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So, played through the first few hours of One Piece Unlimited World Red, enough to get the crew back together (you're initially separated). Going in, I can see where it would definitely be a bit problematic if you knew nothing of the characters or franchise - less of an issue in its native Japan, but more prominent outside it. Especially since the first area is based off of the most recently completed story arc (even if the sheer number of chapters means that's several months - almost a year - behind now). Still, the general interaction is nice and I think would give people a general idea of what the characters are like, even if who, what, when, where and why is left fragmented across mission areas.

Its easy enough to find evidence of the game's original birth as a 3DS title, like the relatively simple physics, the 2D (and rather choppy) sprites for the coin drops, and the relatively simple layouts of things. At the same time, the game looks gorgeous for a cel-shaded title (at least that's what I think it is), and fans especially would appreciate how it pretty much looks like a full CGI version of the anime.

Combat's a bit repetitive, since you mostly clear out enemies along a path, move on, beat new enemies that appear, and then take out bosses at the end. I've faced four bosses so far though, and each of them has been fairly distinct in their behaviour and fighting styles, even if the answer is just to avoid and then punch them as best you can once they stand still. The combo list from the demo I saw actually has a benefit - completing it gives you a small attack boost in combat, so it does try to encourage you to learn. The real key is mastering the dodge/counter/action button (all mapped to A, and some characters have unique abilities, like Chopper chasing opponents) though, and even mooks can take off a decent chunk of health if you let them get hits in.

Speaking of, for anyone who does get the game, actually hold the A button when trying to dodge, because I've tried quick taps and it doesn't seem to register those.

So yeah, mostly first impressions, and certainly a solid enough game in its own right, even if largely something fans will more easily understand.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

pokeyman posted:

I'm still getting errors trying to redeem my platinum Club Nintendo reward. I figured everything would kinda settle down by now.

Call Nintendo. Despite the lovely experience I had with them not shipping my package for a couple weeks, the people on the phone are very nice and usually helpful.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Have you tried clearing your browser cache and history? I had problems too until I did that.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

pokeyman posted:

If it's the "Wario has your coins don't worry error" try redeeming it in incognito mode. That worked for my friend.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

It's definitely an issue related to the cache because I was able to redeem just fine in IE (which I never use) despite Chrome throwing me that same Wario error every time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Do you still get the digital deluxe promotion points if you get a refurbished 32g? Or does it have to be cherry?

Is the ebay battery pack an official one this guy just has 2nd hand? Will I void my warranty or whatever if I use it?

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 19, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Fremry posted:

Call Nintendo. Despite the lovely experience I had with them not shipping my package for a couple weeks, the people on the phone are very nice and usually helpful.

Good to know, if it's getting close to the end date with no success I'll hit them up.

deafmute posted:

If it's the "Wario has your coins don't worry error" try redeeming it in incognito mode. That worked for my friend.

Good thought, but no dice :(

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Do you still get the digital deluxe promotion points if you get a refurbished 32g? Or does it have to be cherry?

For some reason, the website says it's not eligible for the DDP promotion, but it's wrong. Anything digital you buy on the system adds points for the promotion.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Fremry posted:

For some reason, the website says it's not eligible for the DDP promotion, but it's wrong. Anything digital you buy on the system adds points for the promotion.

How do you know you're in the promotion?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

RadicalR posted:

http://ddp.nintendo.com/

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

RadicalR posted:

Connect your Nintendo ID to your console and then login to here: https://p.nintendo.net/deluxe/

It takes like 24 hours for things to show up once you tie the Nintendo ID to the console. After that, it's just automatic. When you buy something, check the next day to see the points in your account.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nolgthorn posted:

http://www.superluigibros.com/nintendo-releases-cat-mario-show-on-europe-eshop

Europe and Japan Eshops now have the "Cat Mario Show" based on the loveable cat characters featured in Super Mario 3D World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPmoG0nTZtI

That's...neat, I guess? I don't know how I feel about the voices.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I had no idea about this and just redeemed 13 codes :stare:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
I am always baffled when people say they redeemed more than 10 codes.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Got Game & Wario as my Club Nintendo Plat reward, is anybody talking about this game at all?

The reviews kept me away from it, but getting it for free has resulted in the weirdest, most captivating experience and the multiplayer is all friends and I have been playing the past few days. We keep inadvertently unlocking creepy "toys" and spending hours freaking out over them.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lizard Wizard posted:

That's...neat, I guess? I don't know how I feel about the voices.

They have Peach say the word "mates".

I really want a British voiced Mario game, I mean if British voices can work in Xenoblade then anything is fair game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Here we go DOES rhyme with cheerio..

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Quest For Glory II posted:

Here we go DOES rhyme with cheerio..

And Instead of stealing a figurehead with no real political power who's entire salary comes from public taxes, Bowser steals all the Tea.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

NSMBU is the best platformer ever. Nintendo's formula is still holding up somehow it's incredible. Why in gods name can't I play using a nunchuk though, NSMBW supported it and I played the whole way through like that... it's the same game.
Why would you want to? Those games don't have analog movement.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Ultigonio posted:

Interesting. Tell me more

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

whaley posted:

Interesting. Tell me more

I'm with him. 13 codes is $650 in digital downloads and Wii U software is the only thing that counts.

Edit: Like, honestly, I'm baffled that there is that much stuff worth buying on the store.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 19, 2014

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Wait, so I tried yesterday to play Game & Wario multiplayer but couldn't get additional wii remotes to work, but apparently the multiplayer doesn't involve multiple controllers? What madness is this!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fremry posted:

I'm with him. 13 codes is $650 in digital downloads and Wii U software is the only thing that counts.

Edit: Like, honestly, I'm baffled that there is that much stuff worth buying on the store.

Well remember that you still get promo credit for free poo poo, so if your console came with a game and then you got a free game with Mario Kart...that's 3 codes right there. Club Nintendo reward games count as well.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

HJE-Cobra posted:

Wait, so I tried yesterday to play Game & Wario multiplayer but couldn't get additional wii remotes to work, but apparently the multiplayer doesn't involve multiple controllers? What madness is this!

Yeah it's basically the most extreme case of asymmetric multiplayer ever

Pictionary and Fruit Thief own really hard

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

HJE-Cobra posted:

The only ones that would even benefit from more controllers would be Disco and maybe Fruit. And Disco is garbage.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Bust Rodd posted:

Is the ebay battery pack an official one this guy just has 2nd hand? Will I void my warranty or whatever if I use it?
The official ones are 2550mAh and come in a box, the knock off ones are 3000mAh usually and don't come in a box. The warranty is only valid for things that are officially sold or licensed by Nintendo. To get an official one you can wait until the US Nintendo store sells them again or you could order through play-asia.

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Got Game & Wario as my Club Nintendo Plat reward, is anybody talking about this game at all?

The reviews kept me away from it, but getting it for free has resulted in the weirdest, most captivating experience and the multiplayer is all friends and I have been playing the past few days. We keep inadvertently unlocking creepy "toys" and spending hours freaking out over them.
Playing design, islands or fruit when alcohol is involved is usually a pretty great time.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fremry posted:

You got it mixed up! The website states that it IS eligible for DDP, but NOT eligible to be registered as a new console (thus earning you 160 coins) on Club Nintendo. However, my refurbished unit registered itself or something, and I got the 160 coins anyway. I've read of others getting those coins, too, as well as people not getting coins.

I have a feeling it boils down to whether or not the original owner of the console had already registered it on Club Nintendo, if there even was an original owner.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

The Operative posted:

I bought that exact item from that seller. The battery is great and I can't think of any reason why it's not worth the $15. It's fantastic and you should buy it.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Fremry posted:

Actually it's for anything you buy on the e-shop not just full priced games.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

homeless snail posted:

Why would you want to? Those games don't have analog movement.

Comfort, waggle isn't the same with the mote held in two hands. It isn't about the analog, I use the analog stick to play on my gamepad too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Ultigonio posted:

Goons will buy and rave over literally anything no matter how lovely it is, so it doesn't really surprise me. There were a couple of guys a long time ago who bought absolutely every single Virtual Console game that came out, and proceeded to get mad and angrypost about how there weren't enough pages of channels on the Wii to support their mental illness collection.

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Pretty much just me. And yeah, it's a lot of fun but I still wouldn't drop $30 on it. It really should have been a bonus game with the system.

• Locked thread