Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

raditts posted:

Well this thread sure got lovely in a hurry.

I would like to apologize for setting off the poo poo-powder keg that is sithsaber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

And I just realized I asked the same goddamn question earlier in this thread. You know, I think I'll just watch it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

icantfindaname posted:

I would like to apologize for setting off the poo poo-powder keg that is sithsaber

It's okay, he got probated for being lovely elsewhere.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

icantfindaname posted:

Power keg? Sithsaber is more like a dirty-bomb, just emitting a constant radiation that induces nausea and head-aches and, over time, death. The Punchsport Pagoda is like the only subforum I look at that he hasn't poo poo up.

That being said, I'd to discuss how, for the most part, that Ben 10 was pretty cool. All the aliens had pretty rad designs. And, as someone that always longed to be some kind of "chosen one" as a kid, and this show definitely hit a trigger in my brain.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Weird, I was actually getting tired of the Chosen One stuff by the time Ben 10 came out. But those were still some pretty rad alien designs.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Level Slide posted:

Weird, I was actually getting tired of the Chosen One stuff by the time Ben 10 came out. But those were still some pretty rad alien designs.

Especially the ghost one and the resulting storyline where the alien escapes the Omnitrix and Ben gains forms that, just happen to, exactly resemble Universal Studios Monsters.

edit: And I just remembered that, in the lovely live-action, made for CN, Ben 10 movie loving Lee Majors plays the grandpa. Which is pretty awesome.

El Tortuga fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 19, 2014

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I like how Ben 10 subverts some of elements of the child superhero subgenre. Max not only finds out about the Omnitrix in the first episode, he guides Ben on how to use it instead of stopping him (which leads to the twist later in the show). Max and Gwen participate in a lot of the action scenes. They also found a way to make multiple seasons of a cartoon starring 10-year-olds without involving the parents, and I think Ben's parents being non-traditional liberal New Age types was a nice touch (also the fact that Ben is really embarrassed by it).

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sith saber I know you're probated but I really got to know why you brought up Squidbillies (nvm that it's a great show) as a CN show. Like are you aware adult swim is it's own thing in a lot of regards? That programming on [as] is totally removed from CN, right?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I'm not that keen on Ben 10 either. While the designs were pretty great, the whole show felt kinda samey to me; like it wasn't giving me anything that I hadn't already seen elsewhere. I was kind of bored by it.

Please notice how I avoid losing my poo poo over the fact that people like something I don't like.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Yeah I don't like Ben 10 and all it's spin offs either. Not really a fan of man of action or whatever. A lot of their ideas are poorly executed.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Why do we have a separate adventure time thread??

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Motherfucker posted:

Can you imagine the alternatives? Do you have any conception of how many posts that thread gets?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

DoctorWhat posted:

Can you imagine the alternatives? Do you have any conception of how many posts that thread gets?

You really don't want Adventure Time talk in this thread, Motherfucker. Especially last month.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Rudoku posted:

You really don't want Adventure Time talk in this thread, Motherfucker. Especially last month.

What happened last month?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Level Slide posted:

All I know about Motorcity is that it looks nice and is about cars and was cancelled. For a cancelled series that is about cars and looks nice, how well does it wrap itself up?

It wraps itself up acceptably for being cancelled. Not as good as it could have been, but good enough. Probably Sym-Bionic Titan level of wrap-up.

The MSJ posted:

I like how Ben 10 subverts some of elements of the child superhero subgenre. Max not only finds out about the Omnitrix in the first episode, he guides Ben on how to use it instead of stopping him (which leads to the twist later in the show). Max and Gwen participate in a lot of the action scenes. They also found a way to make multiple seasons of a cartoon starring 10-year-olds without involving the parents, and I think Ben's parents being non-traditional liberal New Age types was a nice touch (also the fact that Ben is really embarrassed by it).

Grandpa Max Tennyson is the best character on the show and I think he could carry his own series pretty well if they explored his younger days. I always liked the world building and alien stuff in Ben 10, but the plots got repetitive pretty quickly.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker posted:

Why wouldn't it gave it's own thread?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Moatman posted:

What happened last month?

Breezy.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Motherfucker posted:

Take a look at that thread and you'll realize you want none of that here.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I mean just look at the fact this thread is over four years old and the Adventure Time thread us less than a year old and the AT thread is over 70 pages longer and it should be pretty clear why that show has it's own thread.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Look at it this way: Sithsaber would post in here three times as much if this was the AT thread.

That thread is loving poison in every respect.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Close both the Adventure Time and Korra thread and have them all post here. :twisted:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

As a regular of the AT thread I can confirm that the posting ratio there is much too high to just slap it here.

I'm a little surprised to see all this negativity towards it, however.

MrAristocrates posted:

That thread is loving poison in every respect.

raditts posted:

Take a look at that thread and you'll realize you want none of that here.
Does analysis bother you that much?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

paradoxGentleman posted:

From what I've heard from mods, yes it does. People hate it for some reason.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If I wanted to read essays from teenagers who get Cs in philosophy I'd become a high school teacher

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
It was mainly a joke to rile up AT watchers by implying their show is a kids show but it didn't work because I'm a loving idiot I guess??

Although concentrating Sithsaber in one thread seems like it'd be great... A concentration thread if you will.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker posted:

It was mainly a joke to rile up AT watchers by implying their show is a kids show but it didn't work because I'm a loving idiot I guess??

Although concentrating Sithsaber in one thread seems like it'd be great... A concentration thread if you will.

You seem really bad at jokes.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some of you guys are ridiculous.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

paradoxGentleman posted:

I find the kind of analysis that goes on in that thread to be thoroughly pretentious bullshit. Even the intentional stuff.

It's a thread for a children's cartoon that reads like a freshman film studies course.

e: it's fine, like the show. But reading into the subtext of the nonsense doesn't make it more adult.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 19, 2014

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I didn’t like Ben 10 in the beginning but have mellowed out about it over the years, particularly when they recovered from the tween grabbing abomination that the second series was (WHY CAN'T MAGIC BE ITS OWN THING? gently caress ALIENS BEING BEHIND EVERYTHING). Mostly I just hated how CN treated the show as their Sponge-Bob and gave it all the video games and good toys that shows like Symbotic Titan deserved – but that can be more Mattel and Hasbro asshattery than bad 2010s networking killing off Ben 10’s competition instead of the dime barrel garbage. :mad:

I do know that my respect to Ben 10 enjoying action and animation for its own sake has grown in proportion for my dislike of the people that try to turn AT into a philosophy thesis.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Phantasm posted:

Close both the Adventure Time and Korra thread and have them all post here. :twisted:
Merge the AT and Korra threads.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Merge all the forums into a singular thread.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I would probably kill myself.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Sorry to hear you guys feel that way, I guess.
It just really feels like there's something to it, you know? Like subtext and themes and whatnot.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Whenever I go in there, it's occasionally ridiculous bullshit, but usually it's just incredibly sophomoric "analysis" of basic character motivations and story beats, which are not in any way difficult to discern even just unconsciously, because the show just doesn't have all that much to give in that regard. Treating Adventure Time's ability to tell a basic story like it's incredible doesn't make the basic poo poo you're able to identify some sort of trenchant insight.

Sorry I'm being a dick about this, I just get really annoyed when I see adults needing to validate their enjoyment of silly stuff by claiming it's deep. It's how we get dumb poo poo like gritty Superman (sorry, derail over!).

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrAristocrates posted:

Whenever I go in there, it's occasionally ridiculous bullshit, but usually it's just incredibly sophomoric "analysis" of basic character motivations and story beats, which are not in any way difficult to discern even just unconsciously, because the show just doesn't have all that much to give in that regard. Treating Adventure Time's ability to tell a basic story like it's incredible doesn't make the basic poo poo you're able to identify some sort of trenchant insight.

Sorry I'm being a dick about this, I just get really annoyed when I see adults needing to validate their enjoyment of silly stuff by claiming it's deep. It's how we get dumb poo poo like gritty Superman (sorry, derail over!).

Take a shot every time "The Hero's Journey" is mentioned.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Move Korra and AT threads to ADTRW

paradoxGentleman posted:

Sorry to hear you guys feel that way, I guess.
It just really feels like there's something to it, you know? Like subtext and themes and whatnot.

I suggest you go read an actual book

(and no game of thrones doesn't count)

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 19, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anime doesn't either.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

If you don't think Adventure Time isn't full of subtext and double-meanings, then I don't know what to tell you, son.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Tortuga posted:

If you don't think Adventure Time isn't full of subtext and double-meanings, then I don't know what to tell you, son.

I got 99 problems and dicks ain't one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Whoops! Wrong Thread!