Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I fought the Demon of Song last night, and on my way there I found a shade sign that I immediately activated. Both because I need help on every god dammed boss because I'm bad at games, but also to help a dude out with getting back spells/humanity etc.
Turns out he was probably fine. Dude called himself Clubber and was rolling with what I assume was the Ironclad set, dual wielding large clubs and killing the weird frog thing before I'd even decided what lightning spear to use. Going to pay my dues tonight an sunbro there for a while.

Am I right in assuming that infusing my shield and/or armor with Dark will aid me in tanking hex spells? I've yet to infuse any defensive gear.

EDIT: Added shade's name, since that was why I felt like telling the story to begin with.

Runaway Legs fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If I fulfill the conditions for an achievement in offline mode is there anything I can do to trigger it, or do I just have to get it again on a new character or NG+? Killing Vendrick is the one in question.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

If I fulfill the conditions for an achievement in offline mode is there anything I can do to trigger it, or do I just have to get it again on a new character or NG+? Killing Vendrick is the one in question.

Huh, you should get the achievement whether you're online or not, at least that's how it works with the consoles.

HatJudge posted:

Am I right in assuming that infusing my shield and/or armor with Dark will aid me in tanking hex spells? I've yet to infuse any defensive gear.

Infusing your shield with dark will help you take less damage when you block a hex spell, but you can't really infuse defensive gear. You can cast temporary buffs like Great Magic Barrier that will make you able to tank more hex spells/spells in general. You can also eat Dark Troches for a temporary dark defense boost.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 19, 2014

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

argondamn posted:

Huh, you should get the achievement whether you're online or not, at least that's how it works with the consoles.

Well it didn't pop up when I killed him. Gathering of Exiles isn't working either for whatever reason. Not a big deal since you need to get to NG++ for all the achievements anyway (or max out BoB and BS covenants :suicide:) but it's a bit annoying.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

argondamn posted:

Infusing your shield with dark will help you take less damage when you block a hex spell, but you can't really infuse defensive gear. You can cast temporary buffs like Great Magic Barrier that will make you able to tank more hex spells/spells in general. You can also eat Dark Troches for a temporary dark defense boost.

Dark infused Transgressor's Shield blocks 100% dark damage, so that can be handy. Magic infused Magic Shield does the same for... well, magic.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Awesome. Thanks guys. I'll mess about with some shields tonight and see what I feel like playing with. And as somone mentioned earlier in the thread; I've never really thought about using the buffs. What if I'm going to need them later...
Guess it's time to change things up a bit. Especially with the number of casts being reduced in the last patch. Seems as though I'm gonna need those herbs.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Haven't played this game in like 2 months. Has anything important changed? Are quality builds still trash? Is end-game PvP still dumb? Thanks in advance

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

Well it didn't pop up when I killed him. Gathering of Exiles isn't working either for whatever reason. Not a big deal since you need to get to NG++ for all the achievements anyway (or max out BoB and BS covenants :suicide:) but it's a bit annoying.

You can't get any achievements offline, unfortunately. Achievements that have multiple parts (getting all of the gestures, spells &c.) only require you to be online when you get the last one.

bvlah
Aug 21, 2003
A stupid typo
Is the sword and grand lance infinite stunlocking combo still in the game?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

bvlah posted:

Is the sword and grand lance infinite stunlocking combo still in the game?

Allegedly no but I haven't seen anyone try it. Poise is definitely working differently. Anyway the monastery scimitar is back so there aren't any other off-hand weapons.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

how do I even parry? I've played this for over a hundred hours and never been able to parry once. At what point in the enemies swing do I press the button?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

After some more playing (PvE standpoint here) Lightning spears are probably better balanced now; but the amount of casts should probably be upped to midway between current and before. Going from 30 to 15 with 3 copies attuned and a good amount of ATT is kinda silly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I went from 50 to 15 casts of GLS with a character at 32 ATT. I think Lightning Spear should have eight casts, GLS should have maybe five and Sunlight Spear should have three like it used to. Soul Spear should also have four or five. Crystal Soul Spear is fine since you can get multiple copies of it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I went from 50 to 15 casts of GLS with a character at 32 ATT. I think Lightning Spear should have eight casts, GLS should have maybe five and Sunlight Spear should have three like it used to. Soul Spear should also have four or five. Crystal Soul Spear is fine since you can get multiple copies of it.

Nah. Since spell herbs are A Thing they should have low casts, so you at least have to eat an herb after using them a couple of times. Also prevents invaders or a host's phantoms from spamming projectile magic endlessly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

Nah. Since spell herbs are A Thing they should have low casts, so you at least have to eat an herb after using them a couple of times. Also prevents invaders or a host's phantoms from spamming projectile magic endlessly.

Herbs and waters! I've never ended up using the latter, come to think of it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Bob NewSCART posted:

how do I even parry? I've played this for over a hundred hours and never been able to parry once. At what point in the enemies swing do I press the button?

generally you want to parry when the weapon starts coming towards you, not when they're winding up. Find some humanoid with a sword and give it some practice.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

If you want to play your faith character as a caster, three casts for the damage they do isn't worth it. Doubly so for Sunlight Spear, especially considering it's the final reward of a covenant. You can argue that From don't want faith characters to be pure offensive casters and I'd agree with you there. Either way, three casts is not enough. At least six on the basic one, that'd put it up with Emit Force and make it a decent choice between what to use an attunement slot on. A choice between more damage or a better casting time, where GLS would have similar damage to Emit Force and casting time to Lighting Spear but less casts so you can't just spam it like you used to. Sunlight Spear being two casts is a sad joke considering the damage it does and what you need to have to use it.

edit: more I think about it the more I like the idea. Six for base Lightning Spear, four for GLS (maybe three?), two for Sunlight but buff it to ~1000 damage. It'd put the damage on par with GRS but you'd be trading way more casts for no soul cost.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 19, 2014

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

over the past couple of days me and a dude named semon of dong have constantly been invading eachother

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I met a sunbro on Rotten that looked exactly like me. :stare: (BlueCop dress, hexer hat mainly)

nohopeindope
Aug 24, 2004
Got Oil?
Just got the ember for macduff. Should I be infusing my archdrake staff and chime?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Every time there's a patch I forget I have to fix this again. Dammit game

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

nohopeindope posted:

Just got the ember for macduff. Should I be infusing my archdrake staff and chime?

You pretty much always want to infuse your staffs/chimes/catalysts with whatever element they're strongest with. They can only get better.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can get multiple copies of Soul Spear by respawning it with ascetics (use the second bonfire in Huntsman's Copse). And unlike CSS, you don't have to fight a boss each time.

Four or five casts of Soul Spear is a little bit ridiculous. My sorcerer had 12ish casts with three copies attuned, and there were several bosses that I killed before I ran out of spears and had to switch to other magic.

If you raised the base casts to four I would've had 24 casts with my attunement, which is completely absurd.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was comparing Crystal Soul Spear to Sunlight Spear.

edit: I don't think 24 is that bad, but even three base casts would be way better than two for regular Soul Spear. Keep in mind that Soul Spear is only about as strong as base Lightning Spear was before this patch, but way more stuff resists it.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 19, 2014

nohopeindope
Aug 24, 2004
Got Oil?

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Every time there's a patch I forget I have to fix this again. Dammit game

How do I fix that? It's been driving me nuts too

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

nohopeindope posted:

How do I fix that? It's been driving me nuts too

Go to the game's install directory (Program Files/steam/steamapps/common/Dark Souls II/Game) and then go to NGWord. You want to replace the English file with one of the ones that's just 1 kb like Chinese or Korean because those have no filtered words. You just have to remember to do it again after every patch.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
So how bad was the nerf to Spin Club™?

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Has anyone experimented with the dark pyromancy flame's bonus damage when hollow? I was considering a gimmick / cosplay run as jester thomas and was curious how different the two would be.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Has anyone experimented with the dark pyromancy flame's bonus damage when hollow? I was considering a gimmick / cosplay run as jester thomas and was curious how different the two would be.
It's not a great difference, but feel free to run it if you'd like.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Is infusing any good for a pure strength build, considering I lose a ton of scaling? Have strength in the mid 40s and all the other physicals besides DEX soft capped using mace/shield and the big clubs power stanced.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

King Bahamut posted:

Is infusing any good for a pure strength build, considering I lose a ton of scaling? Have strength in the mid 40s and all the other physicals besides DEX soft capped using mace/shield and the big clubs power stanced.

If the weapon has poor/no scaling and/or good base damage then Raw can be better. Just compare the damage you get normally and with Raw at the infusion screen.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani

Genocyber posted:

If the weapon has poor/no scaling and/or good base damage then Raw can be better. Just compare the damage you get normally and with Raw at the infusion screen.

Ok, so fire/lighting/dark anything with INT/FTH scaling isn't going to be useful. Maybe something light and poisoned so I can be a dick

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Can I get the Pursuers armor? No? gently caress you From.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Minorkos posted:

Haven't played this game in like 2 months. Has anything important changed? Are quality builds still trash? Is end-game PvP still dumb? Thanks in advance

Yes, mostly yes, yes but at least now you don't get stunlocked anywhere near as much and physical damage reduction vs. damage done with heavy armours is slightly less stupid now. OTOH instant parries are a thing again so if that makes you really cross you might not be happy.

E: someone remind me which weapon types aren't parryable if you 2hand them.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 19, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

:toot:

Another idiot wasting :10bux:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

RabidWeasel posted:

E: someone remind me which weapon types aren't parryable if you 2hand them.
Here you go:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-56nixBW7YXZWI1y0FCSla4S1CgMXordFcL8SyLP_Us/edit#gid=0

from http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/25tvvg/parry_guide_things_that_are_immune/

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Genocyber posted:

This is a loving weak redtext, who did this?

Thanks! It's all of the "really loving heavy" classes, I guess. Curved GS seem pretty drat good now considering that they all got buffed a little and already had good damage and swing speed; they weren't so great at stunlocks which is why they were more rarely used.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

King Bahamut posted:

Ok, so fire/lighting/dark anything with INT/FTH scaling isn't going to be useful. Maybe something light and poisoned so I can be a dick

Poison is only useful on some things and I'd recommend a non poison weapon to swap out to if things aren't working out.

Genocyber posted:

People really seem to like you.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Good news: you can still chug Estus as a taunt post kill in the arena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Michaellaneous posted:

Can I get the Pursuers armor? No? gently caress you From.

Isn't the Pursuer using the Elite Knight set?