Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

winterwerefox posted:

Yes. However, it will not add anything new. So say you just researched Steel Armor. Any designs you hit auto upgrade on will not add steel to them. Upgrading to the 2nd tier armor, when you already have say 5 Steel Armor in the design, replaces things in a 1 to 1 ratio. So 5 Advanced Armor from 5 Steel. It also adds a Mk2 to your original name. Just hit edit after hitting auto-upgade to add components to the new design afterwords.

Not sure I get what you mean here, if I upgrade steel armor, won't that mean all previous ships that have regular armor will have it all replaced with steel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Not sure I get what you mean here, if I upgrade steel armor, won't that mean all previous ships that have regular armor will have it all replaced with steel?

Upgrading tech only upgrades modules if it has an ^ arrow on the tech. If it does not, it is a new module and must be retrofitted into. You see this with Adv Fission. There are 3 techs after it, that upgrade that basic module. But if you want to use Quantum Exploitation or Fusion, you need to retrofit those new modules into your designs. Ships you have already built wont have that tech until you retrofit. You can see this when you upgrade shield tech. Corvidian Shields are 100 at base, then you upgrade and you see suddenly all your ships putting on a few more shield points. Research High Capacity Shields and all your old ships floating about will still be using Corvidian.

Hitting auto upgrade doesnt add new stuff to the ships. It does look at what you have and add the newest tech to replace your older tech. Say you have researched Fission Reactors, Proton Thrusters, Direction Thrusters, and Basic Armor. You hit Auto-Upgrade. Computer then does this.

code:

Slow Explore Probe 	---Upgrade---	Slow Explore Probe Mk2
1 Ion Thruster				1 Proton Thruster	
1 Space Reactor				1 Fission Reactor
1 Command Deck				1 Command Deck
1 Maneuver Thruster			1 Directional Thruster
1 Small Fuel Cell			1 Small Fuel Cell
1 Habitat				1 Habitat
1 Life Support				1 Life Support
1 Resource Profile Sensor		1 Resource Profile Sensor

It did not add armor to the design, because the original design did not have armor. The computer does not know how much armor you want to use, but you did tell it "Make this same ship, with the best tech" However, this is at times the wrong thing to do, as just hitting upgrade on that ship there made the ship bigger, making it harder for those engines to get it to same speed, for added cost. I typically get my civie ships to a level I'm comfortable with and leave them there, while my military gets the best tech. This has the added benefit of keeping my civie fleet cheaper and easier to build resource wise.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 19, 2014

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Are there any mods that make the ship design AI less retarded about things like putting cargo bays on Space Ports and other miscellaneous things that you need to manually intervene on, like jacking up the number of luxury miners on mining bases to get the optimal yield? I really wish there was a way to dictate on a particular design the "must have" criteria for it, like being able to set a flat value of 40+ gas and 10+ luxury mining yield on gas miners and 10/10 for mineral miners. Being able to tell it to absolutely not build certain things like research and cargo bays on space ports would be awesome too. I can't stand redesigning every Spaceport, Research, and Mining Base every time a new toy like armor or shield tech when the research comes up, and my inner sperg won't let me just leave them alone anymore now that I know about them.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 20, 2014

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Haha, nothing like having a policy of enslavement and seeing full passenger ships enter your empire from the enemy :)

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

Upgrading tech only upgrades modules if it has an ^ arrow on the tech. If it does not, it is a new module and must be retrofitted into. You see this with Adv Fission. There are 3 techs after it, that upgrade that basic module. But if you want to use Quantum Exploitation or Fusion, you need to retrofit those new modules into your designs. Ships you have already built wont have that tech until you retrofit. You can see this when you upgrade shield tech. Corvidian Shields are 100 at base, then you upgrade and you see suddenly all your ships putting on a few more shield points. Research High Capacity Shields and all your old ships floating about will still be using Corvidian.

Hitting auto upgrade doesnt add new stuff to the ships. It does look at what you have and add the newest tech to replace your older tech. Say you have researched Fission Reactors, Proton Thrusters, Direction Thrusters, and Basic Armor. You hit Auto-Upgrade. Computer then does this.

code:

Slow Explore Probe 	---Upgrade---	Slow Explore Probe Mk2
1 Ion Thruster				1 Proton Thruster	
1 Space Reactor				1 Fission Reactor
1 Command Deck				1 Command Deck
1 Maneuver Thruster			1 Directional Thruster
1 Small Fuel Cell			1 Small Fuel Cell
1 Habitat				1 Habitat
1 Life Support				1 Life Support
1 Resource Profile Sensor		1 Resource Profile Sensor

It did not add armor to the design, because the original design did not have armor. The computer does not know how much armor you want to use, but you did tell it "Make this same ship, with the best tech" However, this is at times the wrong thing to do, as just hitting upgrade on that ship there made the ship bigger, making it harder for those engines to get it to same speed, for added cost. I typically get my civie ships to a level I'm comfortable with and leave them there, while my military gets the best tech. This has the added benefit of keeping my civie fleet cheaper and easier to build resource wise.

That helps, thanks!

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Stupid question time!

Is there any way to easily tell which ships in a fleet are dragging down the entire fleet's speed by still using warp bubbles, other than by manually looking through for old unretrofitted antiques? I canceled my protection contract with the pirates that are putting bases on all my planets. In response they warped in a rather powerful fleet to my closest colony. Naturally I put all my idle military ships in one big fleet to hunt down and exterminate the pirates. 20 minutes real time later I began to wonder why they hadn't arrived yet. Turns out that the carriers I'd sent along were still using warp bubbles.

Secondly, how do I optimize refueling operations? I ordered two dozen new frigates to assist with pirate hunting. As soon as they spawned(rather quickly thanks to the construction speed wonder), I saw that they didn't start with any fuel and gave their new fleet the order to refuel. Then they all congregated on one gas mining base and docking two at a time, slowly refueling. Do I have an actual fast refuelling option besides filling gas mining stations with docking bays?

Third, is it anything more than a stupid graphical quirk when my mining stations don't follow the planets they're supposedly orbiting as the planets move through the system? Seems kinda silly for them to be sitting in deep space.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Fleets won't refuel at a base if there isn't enough fuel for everyone, but they will seem to fly to the nearest mining facility to do so instead. Also if you Right Click -> Refuel there's two options, one is at the nearest Refueling Point and the other is at the nearest base, make sure you pick the right one or else you might get them doing weird things.

The main strategy there is to not make your fleets too big, and secondly make sure you have your bases with sufficient enough cargo capacity to fit enough fuel for your fleets. Also make sure you've got enough sources of the fuel too.

There are also some wacky advanced strategies which involve equipping your ships with gas mining facilities (and optionally docking bays as well) so you can have them refuel wherever there is a source of fuel.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

So what determines Total research capacity? I'm assuming total output it just the total of all bases with labs?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

As far as I understand it, your total research capacity is based around your strategic value, but it's not on a linear curve. So basically, keep cranking your population via no taxes and that'll help as much as possible. Aside from that, just make sure to be maximizing all of your bonuses, as those are applied after the cap so they're the biggest way to really improve your output.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

To keep track of my ships, I tend to keep the names simple.

Freighter, Small 1
Freighter, Medium 3
Freighter, Large 3a
etc...

1: These are beginning Shadows Age designs. They fly and lack all the nice things I add later on. All freighters are same size, for instance. Gets the civie sector to build more during the long research time toward warp bubbles.

2: Ive researched Warp Bubbles and some other things.

3: Gerax Hyperdrives come online. Shields, Counter Measures, better engines. Basically all Tech 1 non weapon stuff is unlocked here. Civie ships tend to stay here for me, as I dont see the point in building state of the art rock haulers. If I have to add anything later to a design, it gets the 3a, 3b, 3c, and so on designation. Size upgrades are the biggest influence here. More Cargo, more passengers

4+: The realm of military ships. Fusion reactors are my go to, as I dont compete with the civie sector for Caslon fuel.

As far as telling what ship is being retarded about being upgraded.. that is why I made sure to know what my ship generations are, as well as naming as I do. You might have a salvaged frigate or destroyer from your initial system explorations that doesnt even have a warp engine slowing your fleet down if you grabbed everything.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So what determines Total research capacity? I'm assuming total output it just the total of all bases with labs?

Yor bases with labs contribute to Research Capacity. Total Empire Research Potential scales very slowly with some combination of population or strategic value (whatever that is).

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

So many questions :S. How can I tell a colony's maximum population?

e: Also, is there any way to increase repair speed from construction ships to abandoned ship wrecks?

DarkAvenger211 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 20, 2014

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

DarkAvenger211 posted:

e: Also, is there any way to increase repair speed from construction ships to abandoned ship wrecks?

Not easily. You can only have one con yard working on production or repair of a particular thing at a time. There's research that'll speed up that stuff, but that's really about it. Also, making sure you've got a wide variety of resources is good, too.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Alright, I'll look into that. If all my scouts stop auto exploring, does that mean I've got the entire galaxy explored?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So many questions :S. How can I tell a colony's maximum population?

Colony Max population seems to be a function of quality and development. Ive had 95% quality worlds with 23 billion people, 85% with 16 billion, and so on. 60% worlds seem to stop at about 7 billion, but other than that, I couldnt tell you exactly what the numbers are. There might be a bonus for being your Race's home type as well.

Repair speed also is determined by the tech you know. If a derelict has only one component you dont have researched, it will go much faster than if it is completely made of tech you dont have. However, repairing such a vessel gives you a bonus to research.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Alright, I'll look into that. If all my scouts stop auto exploring, does that mean I've got the entire galaxy explored?

Either you have explored the galaxy, or you have ran out of things in range to explore. You see this especially with Warp Bubble scouts in the early game. Click on a scout and see if its range covers the galaxy.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

You can also slap more fuel cells on your exploration ships too. Oh, and make sure they're actually set to automated.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I have definitely had exploration ships that just sit idle while automated, even when they have lots of fuel and enough range to cross the galaxy. I had to manually select them and order them to Explore Nearest Unexplored System.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

What decides if a ship is built at the orbital shipyards or the planet? all my construction ships are built at the planet which fucks up the refitting process. Is it due to ship size or the construction tag? Can i design another ship that builds and bypass having it use up the colony queue which can only build 1 thing at a time?

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?
It's decided by class. Construction and colony ships are built at planets, everything else at a spaceport.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

I had an annoying thing happen. I built 6 troop transports, very basic. Nothing but 5 troop modules and engines, more or less. Each one has 5 green infantry on them, for a total army size of 30 soldiers, about 375k strength. The ships simply refused to drop soldiers.

Fake Edit: Herp Derp, I had the ship engagement settings to that of the passenger ship I used for the template. The one that says to never invade. Watch out for that fun thing! :downs:

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Could i build a stripped down ship for in system construction tasks? or is the construction module only used on the construction class?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ASFAIK Class only affects what it does when automated, you can put what ever you want on ships so long as you have a way to build them.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Asked this in the official forums, so far no answer, so I'm asking here:

When you do an Age of Shadows quickstart (as an empire) - i.e. you do not do a custom game, but click the Age of Shadows Empire box, are story events enabled?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

Either you have explored the galaxy, or you have ran out of things in range to explore. You see this especially with Warp Bubble scouts in the early game. Click on a scout and see if its range covers the galaxy.

It's hard to tell, I've gathered a lot of maps from mutual defense pacts and map swaps. So it looks like I have everything explored. How can I easily tell if I have missed a system to explore.

Also I'm assuming that the Shakturi get revealed eventually with each hidden anomaly I find. But if other empires have found them first, and I get their map (meaning all their stuff counts as explored), do I miss out on finding them forever?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

You can go to the galaxy map and there should be an option in the dropdown for Explored Systems. I don't believe this takes planets being scanned into consideration though.

Galaxy Map is really useful for a ton of things actually, but for some reason it doesn't seem to have a 'select this thing' button, it just has a 'move camera to this thing'? Is there a hotkey or something to select the planet you are looking at in the galaxy map?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Agean90 posted:

ASFAIK Class only affects what it does when automated, you can put what ever you want on ships so long as you have a way to build them.

I'm going to test if i can make a construction ship that gets built at the orbital station rather then the planet same with colony ships since thats a huge bottle neck late game.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

So do I need to put engines on my mining bases? Some of them are just sitting in space far away from the planets they're supposed to be mining from, and after a long enough time like that the planets stop recognizing them and allow new mining bases to be built.

Also, why would my ships be traveling at less than half their maximum warp speed(4600ish instead of 12000) when every ship in the fleet has a gerax hyperdrive?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Eschatos posted:

So do I need to put engines on my mining bases? Some of them are just sitting in space far away from the planets they're supposed to be mining from, and after a long enough time like that the planets stop recognizing them and allow new mining bases to be built.

Also, why would my ships be traveling at less than half their maximum warp speed(4600ish instead of 12000) when every ship in the fleet has a gerax hyperdrive?

That's an odd bug, are you sure your placing your mining stations correctly?

As for speed, all ships in a fleet will use the slowest ships speed when going into warp. If just one of your designs has insufficient reactor power that limits speed by a lot (in the early game, a gerax hyperdrive will generally need 2 fission plants for full speed).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Eschatos posted:

No, nor should the game allow you to do so. Certainly they don't let you put them on space ports.

quote:

Are they out of fuel? Do they have enough reactor output power for it to list 12000 as their warp speed in the design screen?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

That's an odd bug, are you sure your placing your mining stations correctly?

As for speed, all ships in a fleet will use the slowest ships speed when going into warp. If just one of your designs has insufficient reactor power that limits speed by a lot (in the early game, a gerax hyperdrive will generally need 2 fission plants for full speed).

All of my mining stations were autoplaced or I ordered them built through the expansion planner. I guess it's time to patch and start a new game. As for my speed issue, that was just running out of fuel.

Eschatos fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 22, 2014

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I'm playing boskara and wanted to side with the Shakturi, so I signed a mutual defence pact with them and have nearly wiped out the Ancient Guardians. Is there a form of Evil alliance that I missed by being too succesful? Or is there no such thing? I never got an event, anyway.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Okay, why do parts of my empire keep splitting off? The first time it happened I thought it was neat and it made sense since I had massive war exhaustion at the time. This time it happened during peacetime and despite my empire not having any real problems except a Notorious reputation. Not cool. Is it the Reputation that's caused this or is it just a random event?

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

nimby posted:

I'm playing boskara and wanted to side with the Shakturi, so I signed a mutual defence pact with them and have nearly wiped out the Ancient Guardians. Is there a form of Evil alliance that I missed by being too succesful? Or is there no such thing? I never got an event, anyway.

I'm curious about that too. I played a game as the Dhayuts and I was never able to adopt the Way of Darkness for some reason.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

You get Way of Darkness from a site location, and only the first person who finds it can use it AFAIK.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

You get Way of Darkness from a site location, and only the first person who finds it can use it AFAIK.

Well that explains a lot. I've only played about ten hours spread over a month, hopefully I will learn to win eventually.
I actually won the first game I played since my neighbors were all weak and I dominated them early, but spawning next to all the high tech races means I usually can't get anything done in the late game. I should probably start unautomating nearly everything.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, whereas you always seem to be able to adopt Way of the Ancients. There's sites that give it, but it also seems like there's always a quest line active, and if you investigate recover enough vessels and investigate enough monuments, you'll eventually get to Navigational Directions to a tech repository which gives you tons of knowledge and Way of the Ancients. Or maybe that's just because I been playing as Ackdari.

Phlegmish posted:

Okay, why do parts of my empire keep splitting off? The first time it happened I thought it was neat and it made sense since I had massive war exhaustion at the time. This time it happened during peacetime and despite my empire not having any real problems except a Notorious reputation. Not cool. Is it the Reputation that's caused this or is it just a random event?

I've had worlds defect because of happiness problems. Usually it's a combination of pirate raids, resource shortages, hostile populations, or having a much better rival colony in the same system.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Phlegmish posted:

I think it might be your reputation, though don't quote me on it. I've found that in my games as an evil empire with a low reputation I've had more colonies try to split off. Best way to combat this is by having your planets well garrisoned and I like to go the extra mile by having a full troop transport based at each of my major colonies.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They don't defect individually, I'm referring to the civil war event. I don't think garrisoning would help, groups of planets just seem to flip with everything on and near them. The event text says something about massive unrest, but as I've said, the second time it happened I had no problems at all except for a Notorious reputation.

It's a bit ridiculous that there are now four different Quameno empires, and the only plausible reason for the fourth one to exist is that one of the splinter factions got hit by separatism themselves (lol). It's cool because I'm still one of the most powerful empires and I've already taken half of it back, but I don't like not knowing what triggers it. I just assumed it was like the Jagged Knife in Galactic Civilizations II.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, whereas you always seem to be able to adopt Way of the Ancients. There's sites that give it, but it also seems like there's always a quest line active, and if you investigate recover enough vessels and investigate enough monuments, you'll eventually get to Navigational Directions to a tech repository which gives you tons of knowledge and Way of the Ancients. Or maybe that's just because I been playing as Ackdari.

I got it as the Boskara as well.

But I wanted to be the evil bugs who serve their masters, so I kept with my Hive Mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Different races have different sensitivities to your empire Reputation. Phone posting so I can't check if Quammeno are particularly sensitive right now, but my anecdotal experience is that Quammeno seem to splinter often in games where I've not played them.

• Locked thread