Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Snak posted:

Yeah, the fact that one ancient could build a gate out of commercially available materials while in human form means that the Ori, in addition to engineering the supergate technology, could easily have built regular gates.

By the way, you're going to need a new microwave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

By the way, you're going to need a new microwave.

Okay, they could easily have built gates if they have any microwaves laying around...

I'm surprised they never found any food preparation machines created by the ancients...

Maybe they did but didn't know what they were for because they were just as dangerous as everything else the ancients left lying about.

Wheeze
Jul 31, 2007

Snak posted:

Okay, they could easily have built gates if they have any microwaves laying around...

I'm surprised they never found any food preparation machines created by the ancients...

Maybe they did but didn't know what they were for because they were just as dangerous as everything else the ancients left lying about.

Using it tears apart the fabric of at least 3 separate parallel universes, but drat if it isn't the best chicken enchiladas you've ever had.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Snak posted:

"This device makes meals you will always find delicious."
"It does so by establishing an unbreakable psychic link to your mind and by drawing in exotic matter and energy from an unstable spacetime rift."

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Snak posted:

that knowledge transfer device that o'neill encountered was really an ancient rotessire grill....on the ultra low setting.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This is a pretty good look down memory lane:

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2014/07/16/july-16-2014-my-top-10-stargate-atlantis-memories-2/

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

tuluk posted:

that knowledge transfer device that o'neill encountered was really an ancient rotessire grill....on the ultra low setting.

This is a byproduct of transferring information via microwaves.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I've never watched any Stargate besides the movie but I am lacking anything good to watch and I don't really want to marathon Deep Space Nine yet again so I've decided to give it a shot. After someone described it as "Star Trek, but they actually use and research the Macguffins they find each week aka Xcom the series" I couldn't resist any more. I see there are 10 seasons of SG-1 then after than Atlantis and Universe. Does it get bad at any point or should I just watch it all?

I have just finished the 5th episode "Last Commandment" where a rogue Stargate officer decides to uplift a bunch of primitive cave dwelling people by making himself their god (a clear violation of the prime directive :colbert:). So Far I am really enjoying this series they whole " ancient human cultures where seeded around the galaxy" thing appeals to the history/anthropology buff in me and makes things more believable than Star Trek where they all evolved independently. I'm just going to ignore the fact that they all speak perfect english :v: The series is giving me a Sliders/Dr Who vibe which is very nice.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

Rutibex posted:

Does it get bad at any point or should I just watch it all?

There are some good solid seasons in SG-1 all throughout its run. It is hard to come up with one off the top of my head of a really bad episode tbh, perhaps one or two here and there, but all in all you should not be disappointed.

Edit: Ep.11 (The Torment of Tantalus) in season one is for me the highlight of that season for me, since it has some really neat ideas that elevates the series overall. Also, it links some of the story from the movie back to the tv show.

Saveron_01 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 20, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Saveron_01 posted:

There are some good solid seasons in SG-1 all throughout its run. It is hard to come up with one off the top of my head of a really bad episode tbh, perhaps one or two here and there, but all in all you should not be disappointed.

There's the third episode (I think?) which is the infamous 'space mongols kidnap Carter' TNG rehash. That one's pretty bad.

Also the one where Hathor gets into the SGC and has all the dudes fawning all over her, I remember that one being pretty not good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Who is that next to EMH and why is she in the final shot of the series. Shouldn't it be Beckett or Zelenka?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Mu Zeta posted:

Who is that next to EMH and why is she in the final shot of the series

She was the kick boxer or something that had a crush on Ronon and asked him out on a date or something in the final few episodes. She popped up a few times over the course of the series as an extra with no lines, then popped up just a little bit more than usual in the final few episodes.

Rutibex posted:

So I've never watched any Stargate besides the movie but I am lacking anything good to watch and I don't really want to marathon Deep Space Nine yet again so I've decided to give it a shot. After someone described it as "Star Trek, but they actually use and research the Macguffins they find each week aka Xcom the series" I couldn't resist any more. I see there are 10 seasons of SG-1 then after than Atlantis and Universe. Does it get bad at any point or should I just watch it all?

I have just finished the 5th episode "Last Commandment" where a rogue Stargate officer decides to uplift a bunch of primitive cave dwelling people by making himself their god (a clear violation of the prime directive :colbert:). So Far I am really enjoying this series they whole " ancient human cultures where seeded around the galaxy" thing appeals to the history/anthropology buff in me and makes things more believable than Star Trek where they all evolved independently. I'm just going to ignore the fact that they all speak perfect english :v: The series is giving me a Sliders/Dr Who vibe which is very nice.

If you've really enjoyed the first five episodes you're in for a helluva ride. The weakest season is the first one, by far.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 20, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Season 1 isn't very good but it ends strongly and you need to watch it (well, except for Space Mongols and Space Cavemen) for the rest of the show to make sense.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Has anyone seen The Red Road with Jason Momoa? Is it worth a watch? Any Ronon Dex moments?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Meatwave posted:

Has anyone seen The Red Road with Jason Momoa? Is it worth a watch? Any Ronon Dex moments?

It's pretty excellent. He looks odd to me since he's kept all the extra bulk from when he was Conan and on GoT.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Does it get bad at any point or should I just watch it all?

Peoples opinions differ but myself and lot of others really don't like it after season 8. They change out some characters and the tone of the show changes a lot and it's generally bad. There are some good moments but I would recommend stopping after season 8, and then watching Atlantis (a little more campy than SG1 but still good).

Everything before that is great though. You're in for a good ride.

Shux
Feb 25, 2012

Join Freestyle Cyclists and help repeal Australia's unjustified Helmet laws.

Studies have shown cars travel much closer to cyclists wearing helmets, arguably increasing the risk of an accident.

Taffer posted:

Peoples opinions differ but myself and lot of others really don't like it after season 8. They change out some characters and the tone of the show changes a lot and it's generally bad. There are some good moments but I would recommend stopping after season 8, and then watching Atlantis (a little more campy than SG1 but still good).

That's crazy talk. You can ignore the last seasons on a rewatch if you don't like the changes but for the first time experience no one should skip anything especially considering the movies and Morena Baccarin & Cliff Simon.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Taffer posted:

DirtyRobot posted:

If you've really enjoyed the first five episodes you're in for a helluva ride. The weakest season is the first one, by far.

Ah good to hear! I figured any series that went 10 seasons and spawned 2 spin-offs must be decent.

Right now I'm watching the episode with the blue evil duplicate making crystals (I assume they are evil since when has a duplicate been good?). I'll likely watch everything after all; I just figured any series that goes this long usually dips in quality near the end. But I have many hours to watch before that become an issue :v:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the show does dip in quality near the end. Partly because of the big cast changes, but also because the producers started splitting time with Atlantis and it felt like they put more work into that show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Some of the cast changes are jarring at first, and Cam never really grows on me. But I can't hate the last two seasons because they have some really great moments in them. Teal'c's speech (not the one you think from Ark of Truth) to Gerak in season 9 is one of my favorite Teal'c speeches.

I actually really love the Ori arc though, so maybe I'm in insane.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
You probably are because I seriously cannot decide whether I hated the Human Replicators or the Ori more.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I remember the first half of Season 9 being very... slow burn. That's the charitable way of describing it. Lots of exposition to set up lots of new characters and politics. Watch 'em for sure, but Atlantis is definitely better than the last two SG1 seasons.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I didn't absolutely hate the Ori. The main problem was that SG-1 just felt tired. At that point it was a little past its expiration date and started turning into yogurt. I remember seeing the horrendously bad CGI dragon in season 9. It looked like a Doctor Who episode.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I don't really think it was the Ori arc itself that was the problem, they could have been fairly interesting villains, it was just that the SG-1 group and even the whole SGC felt weird and off kilter, and the world-building stuff that came in with Vala was really awful and completely out of the tone of all the rest of the Stargate universe. The writing of the episodes and the introduction of Cam and Vala were the real villains of S9 and S10.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Screw you guys, I liked seasons 8-10 of SG-1. Cameron was pretty cool, and so was Vala (I should really watch Farscape). Vala could get kind of annoying at times, but I didn't care for some reason.

That said, it did dip in quality compared to previous seasons, but it was still pretty good IMO. Richard Dean Anderson really was phoning it in for his last season, but again I didn't really care. I just pretended it was his character acting tired of all this stupid alien fighting and world-saving poo poo, instead of the actor being tired of acting/the show...and it actually worked for me. I also liked the Ori plot, and the fear of impending doom and all the space battles it brought us. My point is, if you still like the show by the end of season 8, definitely give the rest a chance.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 20, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The most interesting thing about Cam is that he's a product of Back to the Future style incest. Right? Am I misremembering that?

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
Enjoy every single episode of Stargate (in all 3 series), because we will likely never see it back on TV ever again. It's such a fantastic, fun show.

PriorMarcus posted:

The most interesting thing about Cam is that he's a product of Back to the Future style incest. Right? Am I misremembering that?
EDIT: I don't believe so; he did go back in time, but it was only to warn his grandfather. The very last scene of SG-1 ever showed a picture of his grandfather and his alternate version of himself together. He just lived the remainder of his life in the 40s and died whenever and the other version of Cam was born without any of this knowledge.

vandelay industries fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 20, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

vandelay industries posted:

EDIT: I don't believe so; he did go back in time, but it was only to warn his grandfather. The very last scene of SG-1 ever showed a picture of his grandfather and his alternate version of himself together. He just lived the remainder of his life in the 40s and died whenever and the other version of Cam was born without any of this knowledge.

The way I remember Continuum ending very heavily implied that Cameron even being part of SG-1 (and his whole hero-worship thing) was because he goes back in time and saves his own grandfather; the implication is that Old Cam told Grandpa some stuff and Grandpa then told Young Cam, and this results in Young Cam arranging to get all his ducks in a row so he's the 'perfect' candidate for the Stargate program down the line.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

WarLocke posted:

The way I remember Continuum ending very heavily implied that Cameron even being part of SG-1 (and his whole hero-worship thing) was because he goes back in time and saves his own grandfather; the implication is that Old Cam told Grandpa some stuff and Grandpa then told Young Cam, and this results in Young Cam arranging to get all his ducks in a row so he's the 'perfect' candidate for the Stargate program down the line.

Oh yeah, that seems like a totally legit theory; I was just mainly saying that he wasn't his own grandpa :)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

vandelay industries posted:

Oh yeah, that seems like a totally legit theory; I was just mainly saying that he wasn't his own grandpa :)

Yeah, not that. But the last scene in Continuum (after everything is 'fixed') Teal'c says something like 'so what about that big thing we're gonna regret that Baal was going on about' and Cam just happens to be looking at a pic of Grandpa and Old Cam in his locker at that moment and smirks and says something like 'I guess we'll never know' and that totally sold me on the 'Cameron knows because of cheaty timelines shenanigans' theory.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Taffer posted:

it was just that the SG-1 group and even the whole SGC felt weird and off kilter,

I felt this too and on rewatch pretty much narrowed it down; they scrapped the background extras and "real military base feel" in the SCG, seemed to fire their cinematographer and light everything like a soap opera, and every SG1 interaction which isn't off-world is relegated to shot-reverse-shot in their only Lab set which got redressed for every SGC scene. The production of the show was just completely tired at that point, even though IMO they still managed to produce some good episodes for those seasons.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I enjoy S9 and 10 and don't see any reason that you shouldn't watch them but they do have a different feel from the previous seasons that doesn't feel quite right.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Dont worry guys, when I become a billionaire ill buy Stargate from MGM and we will get more Destiny. It just might take a while.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I really loved Season 9 and 10, probably because I'm a rabid Farscape fanboy and I also love all things King Arthur.

I'm also more tolerant of cast changes I think.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Seasons 9 and 10 were okay. By that point you're probably sold on the show, so you might as well. They're not as bad as some of the episodes from that first season though.

Also, whoever said the SGC was weird and off-kilter in those last two seasons nailed it... but I don't think it's because of Cam or Vala. I like both of them (though losing O'Neill sucks huge balls). I still think what's weird about seasons 9 and 10 is that the SGC just seems abandoned and all they ever talk about between missions is "well no one cares about this stuff any more and the dumb civilian oversight committee says we're not getting any more money and this isn't really important" which is just depressing as gently caress, but also absurd, given the constant threats to earth and the technology they keep finding and introducing. Yeah, that whole FTL thing was no big deal. The SGC has totally produced nothing. Wouldn't want anything like that ever again. Like... what?

You know in BSG Season 3 how the Galactica feels totally depressing when everyone's left to settle on New Caprica? And Adama is walking the corridor and the lights don't even work? That's the feeling you get in the last two seasons of SG-1.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Yeah, it was dumb as gently caress to compare the in-show universe to the shows behind the scenes situation. Even one FTL enabled ship would change the fortune of human history instantly, and that's ignoring all the other poo poo they found.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Luigi Thirty posted:

Space Mongols

Whose leader is the dude who played Shang Tsung in Mortal Kombat, which totally tripped me out.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
They should've let SG1 disband and hired the entire cast of Farscape for a new Stargate spinoff.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

ImpulseDrive posted:

They should've let SG1 disband and hired the entire cast of Farscape for a new Stargate spinoff.

Cam (speaking to the new alien recruit of SG-2):
"So, you say you're a "Hynerian"? You look like a Muppet to me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

ImpulseDrive posted:

Browder was meant to play Sheppard in Atlantis, but was busy filming the Farscape finale movie. Joe Flanigan ended up being great and Atlantis got really rad as the show went on, but still sometimes I wonder. Luckily we can still see a glimpse of What Might Have Been with Ben Browder and David Hewlett (two of my favorite actors) playing off each other in that SG1 episode where they go to Atlantis.