Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

i cant even spell my name god help me

Bugdrvr posted:

Your ankle x-ray is making my ankle hurt.

I bet you might have fared a bit better with the SMXs but really who knows. I don't wear mine all the time because it's much easier just to toss on my TCX boots and run out the door. Hearing about crashes like the last few in this thread have got me thinking about risk mitigation again. Maybe it's worth the extra minute every trip to put on the A*s and make sure to zipper my pants into my jacket.

I'm in the same boat. I've been a social butterfly lately so I've been mostly riding in kevlar jeans and Dainese Santa Cruz high-tops. I really, really wish I could find a pair of beefy kevlar jeans with a standard jacket connection zipper and a little bit of built-in impact resistance (I know I could wear under-gear or whatever, but that makes me less likely to use it). I also wish I could find a pair of above-ankle riding boots with all the impact resistance, a narrow cuff (so they can fit under the jeans) and an understated styling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
The answer to all your problems is a sport tourer. Wear normal clothes under an Aerostitch/Tiez/Olympia/Whatever over suit and real riding boots. When you get to wherever you're going the suit comes off in about 15 seconds and goes into your first saddle bag. Your boots will go into the second saddlebag where you're hiding a pair of regular shoes.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I really hate seeing this thread move so fast. Please stop crashing. It violates SA-CA-45.6.25, otherwise known as the "Lowtax Corollary".

Like Coydog's crash, I hit a rock that was in the middle of the road a few weeks back. Bike went up in the air, but I was maybe doing 30. Upon landing, it somehow stayed upright and thankfully no damage was done. I fault myself for following too closely. The car in front of me was going well under the speed limit on a twisty two lane road and their was no safe opportunity to pass. I was getting impatient and my concentration waned. Road debris contributes to my reluctance to ride at night as well, especially as I get older.

In my first crash (years ago), I was wearing TCX Infinities, which are pretty tall and I credit to keeping my ankle to the "sore" as to the "broken" category and since have always preferred tall (mid-calf) motorcycle boots.

With respect to Pete Carroll's crash and nobody stopping, a riding buddy of mine crashed and got his foot wedged in under the bike and the bike wedged in a guard rail. His girlfriend was on the back and couldn't pick the bike up or get it out from the guardrail. She tried waving people down but they literally drove around her. She begged some colossal douchebag in a pickup to at least call 9-1-1, but the jackass refused. Finally, someone must've called for EMS because they showed up. My buddy damaged his foot and his leg, but nothing was lasting (thank God). He was wearing old style engineer boots that had no armor, but they were tall and the thick leather protected him from burning his leg and foot on the hot engine.

Safety Dance, Coydog, and anyone else I missed, prayers and best wishes for a quick heal.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What kind of low life piece of poo poo refuses to call 911 when asked? Just reading that makes me pissed off.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Angryboot posted:

What kind of low life piece of poo poo refuses to call 911 when asked? Just reading that makes me pissed off.

That post is why lots of people think I'm a nosy gently caress who is constantly in other people's business because I always slow to assess any usual scenes and decide if I need to stop or not. I'm a huge believe in doing to others what I'd expect someone to do to me and helping someone who is injured is a pretty basic part of being human.

Though I have to say, it's very rarely just me who stops. Helped two girls out an overturned car (literally watched them crash in front of me) with a trucker who also stopped - turned around and at least a dozen people were running over.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
When I hear stories like coydog's (get well soon man, glad you're ok) it really makes me worry about the goons and people posting in CA who have a fatal crash that we just never hear about...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ScienceAndMusic posted:

When I hear stories like coydog's (get well soon man, glad you're ok) it really makes me worry about the goons and people posting in CA who have a fatal crash that we just never hear about...

Should probably have a FB group or something.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah or an IRC channel

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nsaP posted:

Yeah or an IRC channel

I leave my IRC logged in on a shell so if I died I'd still be idling until my colo'd server went down from non payment :v:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I really appreciate all of the concern and well wishes. So very sorry to see I'm not alone in bike injury recently. It's been a pretty tough two weeks, even outside of the injuries and loss of the bike. It feels pretty good to be out of the worst of it.

Scrapes are getting healed, but my shoulder/bruises/foot/ankle still hurt quite a bit. At least I'm mobile. Here is what the bike looked like right after the wreck. Makes me sick to look at. I really loved that bike.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Coydog posted:

Here is what the bike looked like right after the wreck. Makes me sick to look at. I really loved that bike.

so the frame sliders didn't help

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ShaneB posted:

so the frame sliders didn't help

I dunno man, looks like the frame is pretty much fine...

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Z3n posted:

I dunno man, looks like the frame is pretty much fine...

It was just a little lightheartedness in a time of sadness.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You joke, but the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the bike was "dammit, the frame is still perfect looking because of those sliders. They better total this.". There wasn't a scratch. The motosliders didn't even warp. Also, my previous worry that they would grab the pavement and cause the bike to flip was kind of a moot point.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If it was moot, the sliders would've caused the bike to just keep going straight

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

If it was moot, the sliders would've caused the bike to just keep going straight

:golfclap: well played sir

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Coydog posted:

You joke, but the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the bike was "dammit, the frame is still perfect looking because of those sliders. They better total this.". There wasn't a scratch. The motosliders didn't even warp. Also, my previous worry that they would grab the pavement and cause the bike to flip was kind of a moot point.

I guarantee it's totaled. My 2004 had less damage than that and it was.

I also kept mine and fixed it :)

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Well, on the upside, new bike time!

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
Coydog I am curious, were you overrunning your headlight?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's definitely totaled. I'm waiting to hear back from the insurance company. Thing is, given the year, I'm afraid I'm going to get an undervalue and fight it. Even at what it's worth, I'll likely not be able to get another until bike prices drop. But that is something I'll bring up in "what bike should I buy?" when I find out how much money I'm dealing with. Plus, I have to buy more gear. :(

No, I wasn't overiding my headlight. I was going the same speed as other cars, not hooning, and was completely COMPLETELY focused on my front headlight before the crash. This isn't a situation of me running over debris that I just didn't have time to react to. I literally never saw it. I have no idea where it came from, how big it was, or anything. Just eyewitness reports, and even they didn't see where it came from. Everyone's best guess is that it was kicked up sideways from another car, and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. There were a lot of cars on the highway at the time, and plenty to the left of me.

In other news, I really wish the bruised bone on my ankle and achilles would stop hurting. It's excruciating. Plus my shoulder isn't in great shape. At least the scrapes are closed up.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Shouldn't your insurance pay for your gear? Most decent bike insurance pays out for gear in a crash - paying out a grand for new gear is cheaper than paying out for the extra medical bills that result from not wearing gear.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

clutchpuck posted:

My friends razz me for avoiding riding past dark, but this is why. The "can't see stuff until too late" threshold comes way down at night.

This is the only thing that really scares me. Last year I was on I-40 westbound out of Nashville where its still 4 lanes, and I was doing 75-80, and its maybe 9:30 or 10 at night. Coming to the top of a slight hill, I was in the 2nd lane from the left, and started to move over to the right because my exit was coming up in another mile or so. Not 5 seconds after I get over do I see a pile of moving blankets in the lane I was in. I don't even want to think about what would have happened if I had hit those.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

HotCanadianChick posted:

Shouldn't your insurance pay for your gear? Most decent bike insurance pays out for gear in a crash - paying out a grand for new gear is cheaper than paying out for the extra medical bills that result from not wearing gear.

You'd think, but no. I hate it. Makes no sense. My ins (liberty mutual) doesn't pay out medical for "under four wheels" either. I really need to find someone else, but from what I've seen all the ins options are pretty similar.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Coydog posted:

You'd think, but no. I hate it. Makes no sense. My ins (liberty mutual) doesn't pay out medical for "under four wheels" either. I really need to find someone else, but from what I've seen all the ins options are pretty similar.

What? No, this is not normal. Go to Geico or Progressive.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Snowdens Secret posted:

What? No, this is not normal. Go to Geico or Progressive.

You'll probably pay less money too.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'll look into those after this incident is resolved. I haven't been happy with my insurance for a while.

Getting lectured by every fool that hears of my accident got old a week ago. There was nothing I could do. How bout you take your judgement and "WELL I GUESS THAT'S IT FOR YOU AND BIKES THEN HUH? LEARNED YOUR LESSON AHAHAHHA" and shove it.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
The medical package on my Allstate insurance is $100k/$300k for bodily injury. Though the fine print on that turned out to be that bodily injury is only applicable when you're not at fault. In a single vehicle accident such as mine and Coydog's you're considered at fault by the nature of there is nobody else to blame. They cannot recoup the cost of paying out 100k in medical from road debris so that falls back to the comprehensive medical payout which is completely regardless of fault. In my case with Allstate that ended up being a tremendous $1,000.

No big deal for me as I have full health insurance, but if you're counting on the medical on your auto insurance policy it's worth a call to your agent to confirm what it would play out as in a single vehicle case. The gear and repairs to the bike are still in progress in my case, but so far it looks promising that this whole thing won't end up in a big 'Allstate sucks' rant on the internet.

Coydog posted:

Getting lectured by every fool that hears of my accident got old a week ago. There was nothing I could do. How bout you take your judgement and "WELL I GUESS THAT'S IT FOR YOU AND BIKES THEN HUH? LEARNED YOUR LESSON AHAHAHHA" and shove it.

As a canned response to the 'hurt on a motorcycle huh?' crowd I've found the super cliche 'I would rather live living than live afraid of dying' response is just confident and pretentious enough to kill the conversation and move along. It helps that pretty much everybody I care about rides or is very accepting of riding... pretty sure that wouldn't go over as well with a nervous wife or parent, but they're hopefully not the ones getting on a high horse about it in the first place.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 20, 2014

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Coydog posted:

Liberty Mutual were a bunch of assholes when I crashed too. They told me gear was covered under my renters insurance. I bitched and bitched and they eventually paid for my helmet after I faxed in a receipt. They were really awful to deal with though. As soon as they paid up I switched to progressive.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Halo_4am posted:

'I would rather live living than live afraid of dying'

You mean die living, right?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Doesn't everyone die living?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Terri Schiavo didn't.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

:drat:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It's time for my annual contribution: Got new tires put on, 60/40 knobbies instead of the bald-rear end Spitfires I'd been running. Get on the road home, babying it, everything is going well and it feels like I'm riding on ice instead of glued to the pavement.

Yellow light comes out of nowhere, I pull the front brake like an idiot, I end up on my left side. Get it over on the sidewalk to inspect the damage, unfortunately it snapped off the bolt that I use as a shifter knob. Thankfully, I have plenty of ducttape under the seat! Straighten the forks out with the ol' tire between the legs trick, make sure everything else is working, and take the back roads home shifting delicately.

Now I'm sitting here with a tensor bandage running up my left arm, afraid to take this pile of poo poo on a road trip this weekend. :negative:

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
nSAP will be by shortly to call you an idiot so you got that going for ya.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I deserve it. Put a new bolt through the shifter, sanded my tire knobs with 80 grit, and now my arm is in a sling with a tensor bandage and ice as I ponder if the bike is safe to take 800km this weekend.

VVV: Most of it's on FSR's in the Bridge River mining district, so comfort was out the window anyways. :v:

Rime fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 22, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The bike is safe. The concern is whether you'll be able to ride comfortably and confidently.

dictionar.com
Jul 17, 2005

VERISIGN IS A BAD COMPANY
Presumably you were riding it back from getting the tires changed? Should a shop would send you out the door with a slap on the rear end after a change affecting the handling that much, without priming the knobby surfaces?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

They just changed the tires right? I don't see why they wouldn't send you out with anything more than a "take it careful for a bit" if anything.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
60/40 knobbies are going to have pretty meh grip on asphalt, so just keep that in mind. Maybe test them a bit in a parking lot, you also need to run lower pressures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
z3n, lay off of him please. Don't be a dick.

• Locked thread