Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Zafehouse Diaries?

Have you played it? It did catch my interest once before, but it looks like it could be either pretty good or total crap, so I didn't want to take the plunge just to test it out. I've bought a few games lately that I haven't played much because they looked good, but in practice not so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Is Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri really spergy? I've been playing Endless Space and I really love the colonization/system management/planet diversity mechanics. Are they similar in that regard?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm actually kinda looking for the same thing. I enjoy Kings of Dragon Pass, The Walking Dead, and The Banner Saga.

But is there anything that doesn't even have that level of game to it? Like no walking dead minigames or walking around, no banner saga tactical battles, I want a game that is purely making simple decisions and then reading/watching about how they play out.

When I was younger I watched a bunch of these interactive videos where you'd just make simple decisions, there was one based on Ace Ventura even. I wouldn't mind watching something like that again.

Is that sort of interactive-game-movie mostly just left to lovely DVD-games? Are there any good dvd-games? Are there any other PC games that are mostly narrative and decision making, with very little serious gaming?

I'm already playing lots of Sunless Sea and Fallen London. I guess other storynexus games might be good. Any recommendations?

If you have an iPad 3 or greater check out Blood & Laurels. It's a CYOA/IF hybrid with an advanced AI system that acts in the background while you're making decisions. Instead of a parser you have an "act now" button and they claim you'll only see 7% of the possible script in a single play. I'm hoping it's ported to Android and other iOS platforms but there seems to be some conflict with the publisher and they barely got this game out. I'd love to see the engine itself released to the public.

Device 6 is a little bit more involved than what you're asking but it's a visual novel where decisions are based on words and photos.

This is diving more into adventure game territory but there's Kentucky Route 0 which is a point and click game but doesn't really have puzzles. It's basically a moody visual novel (there are even lengthy text-only sections) and all the decisions you make establish things about your character's past and why he's here. It's not as hands free or open as you're asking but it's good.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Zaphod42 posted:

Have you played it? It did catch my interest once before, but it looks like it could be either pretty good or total crap, so I didn't want to take the plunge just to test it out. I've bought a few games lately that I haven't played much because they looked good, but in practice not so great.

It's an OK game, I guess. Haven't played it much since every time I get a particularly competent survivor, he/she is black and gets murdered by a racist survivor. And then everyone gets eaten by zombies.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

my dad posted:

It's an OK game, I guess. Haven't played it much since every time I get a particularly competent survivor, he/she is black and gets murdered by a racist survivor. And then everyone gets eaten by zombies.

I might have to play this game, now.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Is Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri really spergy? I've been playing Endless Space and I really love the colonization/system management/planet diversity mechanics. Are they similar in that regard?

Check out the Let's Play. It will help you decide whether you want to play it or not.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've been having an urge to play a theme park like game, like roller coaster tycoon. Is there any games like that that is more up to date or is roller coaster tycoon 3 the only good series in this genre?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I haven't played Endless Space, but what SMAC is really closest to is Civilization - specifically Civ 2 but if you've played 3 or 4 you'll probably have some idea of what SMAC is like. It's not a particularly complicated game to play on the lower difficulties - you can automate city production to give each city a particular focus, so you really don't have to do much micromanagement at all. Likewise you can automate your terraformers to handle tile improvement for you and they generally do a good job on their own. There's a ton of stuff that you CAN control manually if you want to get down into deatils, but none of it is really necessary for winning on a reasonable difficulty level. It's the kind of game where you only really need to pay attention to the details you care about and can let the game handle the rest.

Also regarding King of Dragon Pass, I've beaten the long game a bunch of times on hard and honestly anyone who really cares about microing their crops and crafters and such is overplaying the game. They actually took a lot of that stuff out of the iOS version because you really don't have to care about them at all. Actually if you have an iOS or Android device, look into those versions - not only did they remove the unnecessary sliders from the game, but there's a bunch of new events and other content that aren't in the PC version. It's definitely the game to check out if you like Crusader Kings 2.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

What are some current-gen games where leveling up is particularly fun and eventful? Lots of points to allocate, things like perks or new abilities to choose from, lots of ways to specialize your character, etc etc.

Been playing a lot of games recently where leveling up has been nothing but a fixed stat upgrade and a health bar refill, now I'm craving something where I spend a good several minutes per level up, weighing my options and planning things out.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Penakoto posted:

What are some current-gen games where leveling up is particularly fun and eventful? Lots of points to allocate, things like perks or new abilities to choose from, lots of ways to specialize your character, etc etc.

Been playing a lot of games recently where leveling up has been nothing but a fixed stat upgrade and a health bar refill, now I'm craving something where I spend a good several minutes per level up, weighing my options and planning things out.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a pretty good fps rpg where you can specialize your skills quite differently.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Penakoto posted:

Fallout: New Vegas for sure. I once saw a man on adderral stare at a perk screen for over an hour.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Penakoto posted:

Diablo 3 gets a lot of poo poo but it's perfect for the kind of levelup sperging you're looking for.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Fallout: New Vegas for sure. I once saw a man on adderral stare at a perk screen for over an hour.

That's me, with at least a hundred perks modded in and alterations to the SPECIAL stats and Skills so putting points into them is more important (example: having a low strength makes your carry limit abyssmally low, but high strength characters with certain perks can haul mountains). Even without mods though, it's exactly what I'd be looking for, had it now been something I've already played.

DX:HR I've played, good example though.

D3 I've avoided for awhile for a number of reasons, but I've heard it's improved quite a bit since it was released, so I might give it a go sometime, probably after the base game and expansion drop in price a bit or there's some kind of bundle, last time I checked buying both was still costing a good $100+.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Penakoto posted:

This is Path of Exile's skill tree. It dwarfs the sphere grid in FFX.

Path of Exile is a free-to-play Diablo clone. There's no bullshit f2p barriers like energy or timers. The only real money items are cosmetic.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Having played both I'd heartily recommend at least 1 playthrough of D3 before trying Path of Exile. It's just more enjoyable and polished as you'd expect from Blizzard.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah, I agree that the character system in PoE is amazing and fun to fiddle with, but the problem is that actually using that weirdo character you put together isn't terribly entertaining after a while since the combat just feels so static.

But hey, it's free, so it won't hurt to try.

In Diablo 3 you don't get stuff like points to allocate, but almost every level you will get some new cool skill or a rune for an existing skill that basically makes it a whole different skill. And it's great fun to try it all out since you can freely switch your skills around at any time.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Bloody Pancreas posted:

You want Master of Orion 2 (the original and the best) instead.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Penakoto posted:

Why not go turn-based and get that many more choices thrown at you for controlling multiple characters? Divinity: Original Sin will probably shut the book on what you're looking for. You control a party of four and there are no set classes. It's dense.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
What are the best PSP RPGs? I've played Persona 3 and I have Crisis Core. Not sure what else is out there. For reference, my favourite JRPGs are Persona 4, FF7,Chrono Trigger, and Xenogears.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chas McGill posted:

What are the best PSP RPGs? I've played Persona 3 and I have Crisis Core. Not sure what else is out there. For reference, my favourite JRPGs are Persona 4, FF7,Chrono Trigger, and Xenogears.

Give Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky a look, it's a really fun light-hearted JRPG with grid-based SRPG-esque combat (but with just a regular four-man party instead of a full army).

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Neat to see everybody's recommendations, because some of these games look neat and I hadn't even heard of them before.

Are there good world / nation simulation games akin to Paradox games that aren't Paradox games?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Chas McGill posted:

Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection is the definitive version of Final Fantasy IV, and I'd highly recommend it if you haven't already played the game to death. It has all the added content from the GBA version (and lacks that version's battle timing bug), The After Years, and a little bonus chapter exclusive to this version.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Give Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky a look, it's a really fun light-hearted JRPG with grid-based SRPG-esque combat (but with just a regular four-man party instead of a full army).

Also don't mistake an endorsement for Trail in the Sky as an endorsement of the series as a whole. A Tear of Vermillion is absolutely awful, and I assume the same holds true for the other pre-Trails in the Sky entries.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Thanks, that looks like what I'm in the mood for.

Rollersnake posted:

Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection is the definitive version of Final Fantasy IV, and I'd highly recommend it if you haven't already played the game to death. It has all the added content from the GBA version (and lacks that version's battle timing bug), The After Years, and a little bonus chapter exclusive to this version.
I've actually never played FFIV and I was debating whether to try and pick it up for PSP or for my phone. PSP seems like it is probably a better choice.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

CatsPajamas posted:

Neat to see everybody's recommendations, because some of these games look neat and I hadn't even heard of them before.

Are there good world / nation simulation games akin to Paradox games that aren't Paradox games?

Distant Worlds is a good candidate. The base game simulates an autonomous private sector that goes on with their business without you. You can also fully automate every aspect of your empire if you want (it's necessary as the size and micromanagement increases). The expanded mod adds a shitload more races and you can generate a galaxy with 1,400 stars (each with multiple planets) so you can really set the stage for some massive conflicts spanning half the galaxy and you probably have no idea they're going on.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Since you mention liking traditional style RPGs there's Brave Story, Lunar Silver Star Harmony (a remake of Silver Star Story), the two Star Ocean remakes, Valkyrie Profile Lenneth, Tales of Eternia (released in English in Europe), Ys Seven and the Oath in Felghana, and PoPoLoCrois (a combination enhanced-port of a bunch of obscure Japan only PS1 RPGs).

If you want to go non-traditional there's 3rd Birthday (which is actually decent, it just ruins Aya's character like Other M ruined Samus), Hexyz Force, ZHP Unlosing Ranger (Mystery Dungeon style game), Class of Heroes 2 (Wizardry style), Fate/Extra, Riviera (warning: anime as gently caress), Knights in the Nightmare, Gods Eater Burst (faster Monster Hunter), Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, and Tales of the World.

And if you haven't played Final Fantasy Tactics then definitely get War of the Lions which has a (much needed) new translation. If your PSP is hacked there's even a patch that smooths some of the framerate issues. And if you like FFT there was an update of Tactics Ogre you should get as well. Level-5 also released a pretty good SRPG called Jeanne D'Arc.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 19, 2014

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm looking for simulation games in these categories:

Nuclear/Global War
Stock Market
Business

Are there any good games in these categories? I've tried Defcon (a bit esoteric for me), GameBiz 3 (loving hard as balls), Capitalism 2 (really, really outdated), Game Dev Tycoon (too easy and the AI is really weird when it comes to judging your games. Are there any goon recommendations to scratch my sim itch?

I'd love a stock market simulator that isn't encapsulated in a browser that requires me to continue to log in every day. Ideally, I'd like something I can play with for an hour, make or lose money, and then not worry about it until I feel like playing again.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Railroad Tycoon 3 gives you the option of buying/selling/building factories/farms/mines as well as building the infrastructure to link all of it together. In addition, you can also take care of your personal wealth by buying shares in your own company or a competitor's. There's quite a few options available on that front but I do wish it was more detailed (then again, I studied securities in law school). Examples of what you can do include buying a majority share in your company and transferring money to your personal account via dividends. You can also block a smaller competitor from expanding further (by bulldozing their main hub for example), using your personal wealth to buy up the cheap shares, and then using your company to buy-up the company at an absurdly inflated level, thereby transferring all the gains to your wallet. Etc etc.

It's a great game and has a lot of scenarios. You'll lose hours and hours on it trying to build steel supply chains. I'd personally skip the puzzle scenarios though, I found them aggravating.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Bouchacha posted:

Railroad Tycoon 3 gives you the option of buying/selling/building factories/farms/mines as well as building the infrastructure to link all of it together. In addition, you can also take care of your personal wealth by buying shares in your own company or a competitor's. There's quite a few options available on that front but I do wish it was more detailed (then again, I studied securities in law school). Examples of what you can do include buying a majority share in your company and transferring money to your personal account via dividends. You can also block a smaller competitor from expanding further (by bulldozing their main hub for example), using your personal wealth to buy up the cheap shares, and then using your company to buy-up the company at an absurdly inflated level, thereby transferring all the gains to your wallet. Etc etc.

It's a great game and has a lot of scenarios. You'll lose hours and hours on it trying to build steel supply chains. I'd personally skip the puzzle scenarios though, I found them aggravating.

Thanks, I'll check that out!

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I've been craving something about Rome recently. I tried out EU Rome. And the political system in that is really interesting but unfortunately is not well developed. Rome 2 Total war has a fun combat system but it really has little to do with history or intrigue.

So something that lets me get some historically accurate roman poo poo would be good.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I've been craving something about Rome recently. I tried out EU Rome. And the political system in that is really interesting but unfortunately is not well developed. Rome 2 Total war has a fun combat system but it really has little to do with history or intrigue.

So something that lets me get some historically accurate roman poo poo would be good.

What kind of game are you looking for exactly? Some of the mods for the first Rome Total War are probably the closest you'll get to historical accuracy. Maybe Caesar 3 for city building games.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

The best you can do is probably Rome: TW with the "Europa Barbarorum" mod. The base game is 10 years old now, but the mod gives you :spergin:-level historical accuracy. It's a bit light on the political / intrigue side though - there's a trait system and a bit of light roleplaying, but that part of the game basically plays itself.

edit: Neither the base game nor the mod play nicely with Steam, or any version of Windows newer than XP. Make sure you read the installation FAQ.

Ceyton fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 19, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

I'm looking for simulation games in these categories:

Nuclear/Global War
Stock Market
Business

Are there any good games in these categories? I've tried Defcon (a bit esoteric for me), GameBiz 3 (loving hard as balls), Capitalism 2 (really, really outdated), Game Dev Tycoon (too easy and the AI is really weird when it comes to judging your games. Are there any goon recommendations to scratch my sim itch?

I'd love a stock market simulator that isn't encapsulated in a browser that requires me to continue to log in every day. Ideally, I'd like something I can play with for an hour, make or lose money, and then not worry about it until I feel like playing again.

These games used to be a dime a dozen in the good ol' days. Get DOSbox, hit an abandonware website, and try Shadow President. It probably hasn't aged well but why no one in the year 2014 has bothered to update that game is beyond me. Today's political climate would be perfect for it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

al-azad posted:

Since you mention liking traditional style RPGs there's Brave Story, Lunar Silver Star Harmony (a remake of Silver Star Story), the two Star Ocean remakes, Valkyrie Profile Lenneth, Tales of Eternia (released in English in Europe), Ys Seven and the Oath in Felghana, and PoPoLoCrois (a combination enhanced-port of a bunch of obscure Japan only PS1 RPGs).

If you want to go non-traditional there's 3rd Birthday (which is actually decent, it just ruins Aya's character like Other M ruined Samus), Hexyz Force, ZHP Unlosing Ranger (Mystery Dungeon style game), Class of Heroes 2 (Wizardry style), Fate/Extra, Riviera (warning: anime as gently caress), Knights in the Nightmare, Gods Eater Burst (faster Monster Hunter), Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, and Tales of the World.

And if you haven't played Final Fantasy Tactics then definitely get War of the Lions which has a (much needed) new translation. If your PSP is hacked there's even a patch that smooths some of the framerate issues. And if you like FFT there was an update of Tactics Ogre you should get as well. Level-5 also released a pretty good SRPG called Jeanne D'Arc.
Thanks for this. I'll see what I can get my hands on. Knights in the Nightmare seems pretty interesting.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
Is there a game on PC similar to Gran turismo or Forza that isn't need for speed? Preferably that I can use a game pad with. I tried NFS shirt but it's just so clunky.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

thanks for the fire emblem awakening recommendation, it's exactly what I was looking for.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

itsjustdrew posted:

Is there a game on PC similar to Gran turismo or Forza that isn't need for speed? Preferably that I can use a game pad with. I tried NFS shirt but it's just so clunky.

Grid?

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

I've not tried it, is it any good? I like the idea of having a wide choices in cars and classes and being able to tune them / buy upgrades.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I'm looking for a RPG to play on PC. I'd prefer something with a party but I'm not interested in Baldur's Gate type games.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

itsjustdrew posted:

Assetto Corsa is looking to land right in the same spot between arcade and sim where Gran Turismo and Forza sits. The only problem is that it's still deep in development so while it's easy to see that the driving model and graphics seem really high quality it's really tough to tell how the "game" part of the game is going to be.

For example, personally I love Forza 4 but pretty much hate Gran Turismo 5 because while on the surface they seem very similar, the pacing and gamification of the systems in Forza is absolutely top notch, while Gran Turismo is a grindy, horribly paced bullshit-fest I want nothing to do with. It's too early to tell where Assetto Corsa will end up on that kind of a scale, but it's on Steam right now and you can grab it and actively watch it develop into whatever it will become while you play it if that sounds interesting to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
This one will be difficult: I'm looking for a PC game in where after having played 20 hours or so you can look back to your exploits and say "I did this". Typical RPG story of ragtag band of misfits to big drat heroes (getting a castle in BGII, for example) doesn't work because it's something the story does for you. Strategy games are a too hands off, because it isn't you doing the conquering.

Closest I've seen of what I want is the X series.