Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

I kinda wonder if this sort of terribleness works across the board? Like do most people sit and watch football or baseball or movies in the theater even when they've just turned into runny dumps? If the baseball players just all decided to lie on the field and flop around like fishes for an hour would people just be like 'I NEED TO SEE THE END'? I feel like no, but I also feel like most people don't actually complete games according to statistics so I sort of wonder why sequels are such a big deal in the industry.

Do people play the first half of ME2 and go 'ok I need to see the start of this game even though I didn't bother to finish the last one' or something?

edit: I know I'm being silly but I legitimately can't reconcile the two facts. I know statistically sequels sell better. I know statistically people don't finish games. How the gently caress do these two figures team up and make any loving sense?

If I had to guess, and surprise! I do, I don't work in the industry, those two competing statistics are probably both monstrously skewed in a number of ways. Especially in the case of games where people become emotionally invested in things, gamerspeople are a dumb lot.

Say game 1 of a series sells alright, and gains a cult following, with people telling their friends "You need to play this poo poo!" constantly. So game 2 gets massively hyped, a bunch of new people enter the series due to friends and other influences. Some of these go back and play the first game when it's cheap. Some people drop out because they disagree with various authorial decisions. But the majority of people are probably going to stick it out to the end of this thing they've put (in terms of length of interest rather than time investment) a few years of their life into. I didn't mean to turn this bit into Dark Souls but here we are.

That's not to say every single game series does that kind of thing to people. Far Cry is a crazy series that have basically no connection with each other except brand recognition, but I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to learn 60-70% of people who played Far Cry 2 and 3 never finished them and just did outposts forever. There is of course always the other issue of how many companies track and report on game completion stats, so.

Orv fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

I kinda wonder if this sort of terribleness works across the board? Like do most people sit and watch football or baseball or movies in the theater even when they've just turned into runny dumps?
That's the entire premise of Thursday Night Football

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Oh man, Crypt of the Necrodancer has a steam page up and it looks like there's going to be local coop, as well! This game is shaping up to be pretty awesome. :allears:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

I kinda wonder if this sort of terribleness works across the board? Like do most people sit and watch football or baseball or movies in the theater even when they've just turned into runny dumps? If the baseball players just all decided to lie on the field and flop around like fishes for an hour would people just be like 'I NEED TO SEE THE END'?

Yes. This is the sunk cost fallacy in action. People feel like they want a payoff to their time or money invested so they keep sinking their time or money into something hoping to achieve it. People will sit through bad movies, play poo poo video games, read terrible books, etc, because they paid for them and they want to get their money's worth, or because they already started investing time into it and they don't want the time previously spent to "go to waste." Even though it already has and continuing to spend time on it is just wasting more of it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tezzeract posted:

Actually that happened to me. When my crew got caught in ME2, I just stopped playing the game and uninstalled :ragequit:

HAhahaha :laugh:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Ryuga Death posted:

Oh man, Crypt of the Necrodancer has a steam page up and it looks like there's going to be local coop, as well! This game is shaping up to be pretty awesome. :allears:
I've seen it being played with a DDR pad. :allears:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yes. This is the sunk cost fallacy in action. People feel like they want a payoff to their time or money invested so they keep sinking their time or money into something hoping to achieve it. People will sit through bad movies, play poo poo video games, read terrible books, etc, because they paid for them and they want to get their money's worth, or because they already started investing time into it and they don't want the time previously spent to "go to waste." Even though it already has and continuing to spend time on it is just wasting more of it.
Also, the more money spent on a mediocre game, the more time is spent justifying that purchase while it's still fresh. Maybe more time spent justifying the purchase than actually playing the game, in some cases.

e: which is weird because if I spent a lot of money on something and it sucked I would just be pissed instead of trying to tell myself it was good and everyone saying it sucks is wrong (Thi4f)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

This is pretty much the last three seasons of "Dexter," and I watched all that bullshit.
I know you've tried to wipe it from your mind but there was an eighth season made as well.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I know you've tried to wipe it from your mind but there was an eighth season made as well.

I am going to become a lumberjack and come kill you for mentioning it

Orv
May 4, 2011

Awesome! posted:

I am going to become a lumberjack and come kill you for mentioning it

Now I haven't seen all of Dexter but uh... que?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

My dark passenger is a lumberjack with a lovely beard.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Orv posted:

Now I haven't seen all of Dexter but uh... que?
It's better you don't know.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I'm beginning to think so too.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Spiderdrake posted:

If the baseball players just all decided to lie on the field and flop around like fishes for an hour would people just be like 'I NEED TO SEE THE END'?

I would watch this like crazy :colbert:.

Anyone have opinions on the last Blackwell game? I loved the previous entries, but I can't reconcile paying 20 bucks for a series where most of the games take 2-3 hours to beat.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I started playing Betrayer today and while it's not a perfect it is something drat interesting. It has elements of action and horror but it's more of an adventure game with you wandering around these environments and figuring out what happened to the people there. You speak to spirits of those killed, find graves and notes, and fight spooooky skeletons in order to uncover mysteries.

The black and white aesthetic is weird sometimes but overall fine and you can turn it off if you really hate it. There's really nothing in it that reminds me of FEAR as it was billed as by creators of but that's okay, it's perfectly fine on its own. I have a feeling it's not too long though, two hours in and it feels about halfway? We'll see I guess.

My one gripe so far is that I kinda wish it has voice acting. There's not a lot of dialog so it being completely without spoken roles is kinda weird.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh, yeah. It would have been better if Belial's scheme wasn't so transparent, yeah. However, since I was able to figure it out easily, I was glad that my character also figured it out. It just pisses me off when I figure out a really transparent plot twist ages before it happens and the characters act like it was some big huge surprise, holy poo poo.

I just liked that Diablo 3 didn't pull that. It was just, "Yeah, I know who you are; time to kick your rear end."

All told, I preferred Torchlight 2 to Diablo 3 anyway but eh.

I would like it if they pulled a puppetmaster trick for the next expansion (hackneyed, but less so than the rest of the plot).

So they could make it so that killing Cain in Act I ensured that you were committed to the quest, Belial's rather transparent antics in Act II keep you on the trail thinking that too smart to fall for Hell's tricks, plowing your way through the armies of the damned in Act III and killing their big bad general dude who's like never defeated ever in a million years of Heaven/Hell dustups once again invokes the vanity of the character and lets them believe they can best the toughest demons martially, then the sacrifice of an innocent soul setting up the events of Act IV and pretty much putting the final nail in you smacking Diablo (probably didn't really need to spoiler that one , huh) down and ensuring that all of the souls end up where they need to be - in the black soulstone and all ready to be mingled with Angelic essence in Act V, putting the finishing touches on the (good AND evil) hyper-nephalem soul power they've been working on, and infecting your character in the process.

I would then absolutely love it if the next expansion pack - you know, the inevitable one with level 80, rune-words and another gear bump - started you off on the trail of Mephisto the Big Bad who has come back for the usual Just Being Evil reasons, starting you off fighting demons and hellspawn and nasty corpses and suchlike, but then slowly skewing the opposition and throwing in more and more angels as you dispatch more and more bosses for their shiny loot, finally culminating in a level with you killing everything indiscriminately for piles of loot - demons, angels, desperate humans and static breakables as huddled innocents in a Spec Ops-esque orgy of indiscriminate murder (easy to do with player skills) - until you get to the end and it's you, you're the big evil; cueing up a metaphysical talkie bit where some head honcho angels and demons send you into your soul to fight the corruption (well, there's gotta be some corruption somewhere or you'll piss off Metzen) who actually takes the form of an amalgam of various evils - your murdering, greed, etc - whose tentacles hold screaming homunculi of characters of the players in the party (or random guys from their player list) who spew out their individual skills from time to time, and should be killed to give a damage bonus to the big good/evil gestalt that just wants to annihilate everything and start over from scratch.

I'll stop spewing words now as this isn't the Diablo thread, and none of that'll happen.

e: I probably should've hit post instead of wandering off and forgetting what I was doing, as I'm a wee bit behind now. Sorry!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

LordHippoman posted:

Anyone have opinions on the last Blackwell game? I loved the previous entries, but I can't reconcile paying 20 bucks for a series where most of the games take 2-3 hours to beat.
Epiphany is fantastic and is well worth 15 dollars.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Moogle posted:

I would like it if they pulled a puppetmaster trick for the next expansion (hackneyed, but less so than the rest of the plot).

So they could make it so that killing Cain in Act I ensured that you were committed to the quest, Belial's rather transparent antics in Act II keep you on the trail thinking that too smart to fall for Hell's tricks, plowing your way through the armies of the damned in Act III and killing their big bad general dude who's like never defeated ever in a million years of Heaven/Hell dustups once again invokes the vanity of the character and lets them believe they can best the toughest demons martially, then the sacrifice of an innocent soul setting up the events of Act IV and pretty much putting the final nail in you smacking Diablo (probably didn't really need to spoiler that one , huh) down and ensuring that all of the souls end up where they need to be - in the black soulstone and all ready to be mingled with Angelic essence in Act V, putting the finishing touches on the (good AND evil) hyper-nephalem soul power they've been working on, and infecting your character in the process.

I would then absolutely love it if the next expansion pack - you know, the inevitable one with level 80, rune-words and another gear bump - started you off on the trail of Mephisto the Big Bad who has come back for the usual Just Being Evil reasons, starting you off fighting demons and hellspawn and nasty corpses and suchlike, but then slowly skewing the opposition and throwing in more and more angels as you dispatch more and more bosses for their shiny loot, finally culminating in a level with you killing everything indiscriminately for piles of loot - demons, angels, desperate humans and static breakables as huddled innocents in a Spec Ops-esque orgy of indiscriminate murder (easy to do with player skills) - until you get to the end and it's you, you're the big evil; cueing up a metaphysical talkie bit where some head honcho angels and demons send you into your soul to fight the corruption (well, there's gotta be some corruption somewhere or you'll piss off Metzen) who actually takes the form of an amalgam of various evils - your murdering, greed, etc - whose tentacles hold screaming homunculi of characters of the players in the party (or random guys from their player list) who spew out their individual skills from time to time, and should be killed to give a damage bonus to the big good/evil gestalt that just wants to annihilate everything and start over from scratch.

I'll stop spewing words now as this isn't the Diablo thread, and none of that'll happen.

e: I probably should've hit post instead of wandering off and forgetting what I was doing, as I'm a wee bit behind now. Sorry!

I would like it if none of this happened and they made clicking dudes more fun.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Good point.

Shame to waste all that pretty FMV though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I would like it if none of this happened and they made clicking dudes more fun.
It is fun though. You only ever need to endure the story mode once and never play it ever again.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Sober posted:

It is fun though. You only ever need to endure the story mode once and never play it ever again.

is that an expansion feature or something they patched into the base game?

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

Moogle posted:

"I don't understand this autism thing, Pop. Here's my son. I talk to him. I don't even know if he can hear me, because he sits there, all day long, in his own world, staring at that toy. What's he thinking about?"
As Tommy shakes the snow globe, he is told by his father to come and wash his hands for dinner. Donald places the snow globe on the family's television set and walks into the kitchen with Tommy and Auschlander; as they leave the room, the camera closes in on the snow globe—which holds a replica of Diablo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What does it mean when a game update won't stay in the download queue? Dark Souls 2 says "update required" but is not in the queue, when I push that up button in the top right it goes into the queue for a few seconds and downloads a little bit, but drops out again. What is Steam trying to tell me?

Also, I am so close to getting Divinity: Original Sin, but I haven't really played a non-controller based game in a long time. I just can't get my brain in game mode when I am sitting at my desk.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 20, 2014

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Yo what mods do I need to play KOTOR II?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

What does it mean when a game update won't stay in the download queue? Dark Souls 2 says "update required" but is not in the queue, when I push that up button in the top right it goes into the queue for a few seconds and downloads a little bit, but drops out again. What is Steam trying to tell me?

Also, I am so close to getting Divinity: Original Sin, but I haven't really played a non-controller based game in a long time. I just can't get my brain in game mode when I am sitting at my desk.

Considering that update was released like two days ago, probably that you already have it and it is just confused. Just a guess, though. :shrug: Have you played the game since trying that? It would probably tell you when you start the game if you didn't actually have the update.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Schiavona posted:

Yo what mods do I need to play KOTOR II?

Just the one, the content restored mod. It's past version 8 or whatever by now, I think.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Manatee Cannon posted:

Considering that update was released like two days ago, probably that you already have it and it is just confused. Just a guess, though. :shrug: Have you played the game since trying that? It would probably tell you when you start the game if you didn't actually have the update.
Yeah, I probably should have thought of that.

Oh...my hard drive is full (that one, anyway).

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I probably should have thought of that.

Oh...my hard drive is full (that one, anyway).

Yeah I was going to say I've had that happen when I didn't have much space left on the hard drive. Steam is also really bad at using up space if you don't have much.

Also Mass Effect 3 is good.

edit: Also Dexter sucks past the John Lithgow season, which was the best season.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
By the way, is there any way to set Steam's downloading speed to 1.7 or so MB/sec, instead of just 1 or 2? 2MB/second makes normal browsing almost impossible, but it's not like I need 1MB/sec just for that.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Awesome! posted:

Expansion feature in ROS. Obviously if they drop another expansion you have to play the story but the real game is Adventure mode, where you do random quests to get gold/XP. Quests are usually "do a quick sidequest event" or "kill X monsters/named monster". You finish the five random quests in an act for a loot box that occasionally also drop gambling currency and keys to do rifts. Rifts are even more random levels - random tileset and random monster sets (yes, A1 tilset with A3 monsters possible) where all you do is literally murder the gently caress out of everything until a superboss shows up and you kill them and they go for a loot explosion. The new patch (2.1) is supposed to add even more types of rifts (like timed, so loot doesn't drop until you beat the timer and the boss explodes all the loot in the rift).

Like literally you only need to play the story once. Even if you finish the story at like level 30, you can just adventure mode and do bounties/rifts to max level and even new level 1 characters can just start off in adventure mode.

Basically the expansion made D3 fun again.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Technetium posted:

Also Mass Effect 3 is good.

ME3 multiplayer is still good and is still worth the $15 you'd have to pay to play it for a month on Xbox Live or whatever. Origin might not be as good as Steam, but it's a lot better than it was a year ago this time. The community still seems super active, too. I've been playing for the past week or so and I've never had trouble finding a full party.

Also, we will probably never see a collected edition of all the DLC. They never made one for ME2 and even the trilogy edition doesn't come with any of it. Bioware is making too much money selling it all separate for their Bioware funbucks.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Awesome! posted:

Yes, there's an Adventure mode where you play through different challenges, kill bounties and you can jump between acts as you please. Diablo 3 + expansion owns loving hard and is the best arpg on the market currently. gently caress the haters who base their opinion of the game on 2 years old info.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I would like to point out the whole game scales with you now so if you really like a certain act you aren't really punished if you just want to zoom around and punch a certain set of monsters. Whereas it was stupid way back in the day when you had to make your way through Act 1 to 5 on the hardest difficulty (hell?).

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Palpek posted:

Yes, there's an Adventure mode where you play through different challenges, kill bounties and you can jump between acts as you please. Diablo 3 + expansion owns loving hard and is the best arpg on the market currently. gently caress the haters who base their opinion of the game on 2 years old info.

Ya, I'll second this. Diablo 3 + Reaper of Souls is really really good, and the new class (Crusader) is a ton of fun. Adventure Mode and the Nephalem Rifts are great, and they're adding to that in an upcoming patch with more end game stuff. It's really hard to justify playing any other ARPGs when I've got Diablo 3 sitting on my hard drive now.

Tweek-
Jul 13, 2014

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I really wish i didn't knew about season 8..

Tweek- fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 20, 2014

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

mr. nobody posted:

One thing that's missing on the steam forums is a thread to talk about steam while relaxing and playing games with friends and discussing dynasty warriors 8 extreme.

MY MAN, I know how you feel.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It's also worth noting that Diablo 3 now is a very different game than it was 2 years ago. A lot of people including myself turned to Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile because I was so disappointed in Diablo 3 but with the latest updates and the expansion, Diablo 3's the most fun ARPG around I think.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

duckfarts posted:

Worked fine! Gifter was from USA USA USA. The places you should avoid getting gifted from are Russia and Brazil, as those regions have reduced pricing normally to try and sell in the face of rampant pirating, so those are generally the ones you have to both buy, activate, and play in/from those regions.

Great, thanks! I can't wait to slice things up!

Diablo 3 talk:

Actually if you really spend time to chat up with all the NPC's, you'll find that the lore is pretty deep, and the humor is there. Not the "mainline story", but all the side NPC's, for example the Noblewoman & the guard in the desert city (just outside the inn), the Jeweler's "God" story, the hirelings, etc. Granted, I just reached Act 3 (playing with all 6 classes simultaneously, so as soon as I'm feeling burnt out on 1, I picked up another).

Also, its combat and general polishness already ruined pretty much every other ARPG's for me:
Path of Exile - combat felt too stiff, and camera too zoomed in. And the desyncs, of course.
Torchlight 2 - combat is pretty good, but it fails on everything else (especially the loot part).
Marvel Heroes - combat is okay, but it felt way too MMO-y.
Van Helsing - combat is great, and the charge-up mechanics seems neat, but it's way too troublesome since you have to repeat charging up each time.

In fact, Titan Quest is my all-time favourite ARPG previously, spent ~1k hours just trying out new builds etc, so I'm totally pumped when I got Grim Dawn during the sale earlier. Only to end up feeling "eh is this it?". The combat is meaty, but much less than D3. The areas are way too big, filled with pretty much combat and nothing else. In D3 you got all these events to spice things up. The items are okay, but pales in comparison to D3, where you have much less drops but much, much better ones. Each D3 legendaries, even at the lower levels, always blow my mind away the first time I found them.

Hell, I don't even play with other people, just solo all the way, and connection-wise it's much more stable in-game than actual online games like Dota 2. I can even download Steam games/updates while playing without any lags. So it's pretty much a single-player game for me.

Of course, D3 is not without its flaws (especially the elements on all the skills, so you're kinda "soft-locked" into certain skills if you have items with +% to certain elements), but overall it's pretty much the greatest ARPG on the market right now, bar none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Actually what Blizzard did and I love (they did this with D3 and WoW) is have abilities scale with gear/weapon damage instead of doing the talent tree where you need 20 ranks into something that'll eventually be outpaced by better gear/too high of a difficulty. I really can't go back to the D2 style of leveling up skills now.

• Locked thread