Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

No more disturbing than the people with a pathological need to put the boot into GW at every opportunity, real or imagined.

No, I think this weird business-related version of stockholm syndrome is way, way more disturbing than people that are frustrated with a company that is making decision after decision that is making the game they put a significant amount of time and money into less fun for them. Putting all the time and money into buying and painting an army, enjoying the game for a while and steadily getting less and less enjoyment out of my investment each time new content comes out while someone else tells me to stop complaining and leave if I don't like it is, in fact, bullshit. I honestly don't get the mentality that I should either never complain or get the gently caress out.

spacegoat posted:

This "either/or" attitude you have towards anyone critical of GW is beyond pathetic.

I know this was directed at super neat toy, but basically this. If you want to talk pathological need, let's start here.

mmj fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I have no problem with complaining about the many many legitimately poo poo things GW does (like selling paint pots that aren't airtight), but the whole "GW is bumming my mum while also riggings sales allocations" conspiracy stuff is worthless.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 20, 2014

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
There are plenty of things to moan about when it comes to GW's behaviour, but some people in this thread also moan about things which really aren't deserving of it, and seem to be moaning for moaning's sake. The recent example of someone wailing and flapping their gums about GW's "current corporate mantra" being to sell models and not care about the game, when that has been their mantra since pretty much day 1 springs to mind.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 20, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

AbusePuppy posted:

In comparison to the old version, taking damaging hits and likely some casualties versus not taking the hits is obviously gonna feel kinda lovely. It also can be really bad when you get forced to take multiple morale/pinning checks in a turn (due to Tank Shock, being disembarked, etc)- sure, on average you'll only lose one or two Boyz, but sometimes you'll roll six hits and 4-5 wounds and half your unit will disappear from a single Pinning check.

I get that it's worse than the old Mob Rule in many cases. I just take issue with this "punishment" way it gets talked about. You get to avoid the normal punishment for failing those checks, and considering that the normal punishment for those means at the very least another turn without assaulting, I think it's a fair trade.

Raphus C posted:

It is fine for Boyz, but I would rather lootas etc just ran away.

See I disagree completely. The last thing I would want is for my lootas to break. Then they'll move out of position (potentially off the board considering where they'd normally be positioned) and have their average firepower cut in half. I'd much rather them take a few extra casualties and hold the position. Same goes for other shooting troops. I wouldn't want a squad of burnas to fall back. If they fall back, they probably won't be in position to drop flame templates.

Don't get me wrong. It's a nerf compared to the old version, but it's not a kick in the junk like IB was, and it helps achieve the often lauded goal of making Ld and psychology more important.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

But okay, you people are free to continue to indirectly support the company you seem to have an irrational hatred for.

Actually I'm not supporting them at all anymore, the only models I buy now are from other game companies.

And it's not so much irrational hatred, as it is disappointment and tiredness.

I still love the hobby side of 40k though; got enough backlog of models and bits to keep me going for years.

Hope that means I'm still allowed to post here.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

but the whole "GW is bumming my mum while also riggings sales allocations" conspiracy stuff is worthless.
Please show me where this has happened in this thread, and not in your and SNT's imaginations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
It's what literally started this whole conversation.

Edit: here I found it.

NTRabbit posted:

No, the reason is GW witheld stock for their own stores, plain and simple.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 20, 2014

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
I see nothing there about anyone's mum being bummed, you illiterate shitstain.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

spacegoat posted:

It's almost like hyperbole was being employed!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GW threads have a lot of trouble interpreting Statements As Written vs Statements As Intended

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

You can't be hyperbolic and literal at the same time, SNT. Now stop doing a lovely impression of pre-Unbound Thread me.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo I agree with Peter Weller. You are that loving terrible, SNT.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I assumed it would be obvious no one actually said that a corporate entity is not having sex with someone's mom.

spacegoat posted:

Holy poo poo I agree with Peter Weller. You are that loving terrible, SNT.

You're rapidly approaching half your posts in this thread being about me, man.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

When several people are complaining about you, it's probably a good idea to either get the gently caress out or stop being lovely.

Hint: that means you.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I assumed it would be obvious no one actually said that a corporate entity is not having sex with someone's mom.

There is a lot to unpack here in support of that illiterate claim.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Congratulations?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I bought an Eldar fighter on eBay, and I'm going to glue and paint it up as a Hemlock Wraithfighter, no matter how weak it is on the tabletop because it sounds cool and I want to scare things off the table.

I also got a Dark Angels venerable dread, because I have some DA guys, and also because I have this weird notion about standing a Dreadnought, Contemptor Dreadnought, Wraithlord, Iron Ancestor, Stuntbot, Strider, Cypher Heavy Vector, Enforcer Battle Walker, and any other walking armour I can think of in a line and taking some kind of Usual Suspects photo. Owning most of these already makes it less crazy, right?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Lungboy posted:

The recent example of someone wailing and flapping their gums about GW's "current corporate mantra" being to sell models and not care about the game, when that has been their mantra since pretty much day 1 springs to mind.

While technically correct, framing it in exactly these terms eclipses some critical parts of the issue. Take the (very oft-repeated, but for a reason) examples of Mantic and/or PP. Both of those companies are also in the business of selling their miniatures to customers at a reasonable profit, so as to remain in business. They are not charities. Yet there is a very significant perceived difference (among many people--perhaps not every single person) between them and GW.

e: I can't wait till new Dark Vengeance comes out and the prices of mini rulebooks drop so I can continue enjoying this pretty cool game whilst doing as little as possible to prop up its lovely corporate arm. I like Warhammer 40k.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 20, 2014

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

While I wasn't arguing on the internet today, I found I had plenty of time to assemble some kans. Sucks that the kan kit is so stingy with weapons. Handy that you get so many spare racks of missiles in the Stormtalon kit.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Probably has something to do with how loving terrible you are.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is a Warhammer room!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I don't know Orks so someone please tell me, what's more similar to a Dreadnought, a Killa Kan or a Deff Dread?

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

NTRabbit posted:

I don't know Orks so someone please tell me, what's more similar to a Dreadnought, a Killa Kan or a Deff Dread?

Deff Dreads were dreadnoughts before they were Deff Dreads. (and deff dreds is a loving lovely name)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Well that settles that then, cheers

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Shallow posted:

While I wasn't arguing on the internet today, I found I had plenty of time to assemble some kans. Sucks that the kan kit is so stingy with weapons. Handy that you get so many spare racks of missiles in the Stormtalon kit.

Just going to assume that's blood and not red paint.

Warhammer 40,000 : GW bummed my mum

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 20, 2014

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

PierreTheMime posted:

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is a Warhammer room!

:golfclap:

How long have you been waiting to use that?

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

PeterWeller posted:

I get that it's worse than the old Mob Rule in many cases. I just take issue with this "punishment" way it gets talked about. You get to avoid the normal punishment for failing those checks, and considering that the normal punishment for those means at the very least another turn without assaulting, I think it's a fair trade.

See I disagree completely. The last thing I would want is for my lootas to break. Then they'll move out of position (potentially off the board considering where they'd normally be positioned) and have their average firepower cut in half. I'd much rather them take a few extra casualties and hold the position. Same goes for other shooting troops. I wouldn't want a squad of burnas to fall back. If they fall back, they probably won't be in position to drop flame templates.

Don't get me wrong. It's a nerf compared to the old version, but it's not a kick in the junk like IB was, and it helps achieve the often lauded goal of making Ld and psychology more important.

I agree. It's a much much better option than breaking or being pinned.

There's a lot that works.

A 30 man boyz squad with a warboss in tow is so frightening. Especially if that warboss is up front in mega armour with the lucky stick and can effectively tank all incoming fire. With a nob or Mek in the unit you can then get them to issue the challenges and, again, have the warboss tank all the non AP2 hits.

The guy who won the tournament I mentioned yesterday took two combined arms detachments and had 3 war bosses each leading a squad of 30 boyz, 2 squads of 3 meganobz in trukks, a squad of buggies. 5 deff koptas as individual units and a squad of gretchin. At 1500 points as he completely dominated every opponent.

The koptas, with their scout move and turbo boost, were able to be on any objective on the battle field or in the enemy deployment zone for maelstrom objectives and also able to hover in front of enemy units to grant cover saves to pretty much his entire army from that unit.

The trukks and the ere we go rule pretty much guaranteed that the battle was fought in the enemy deployment zone and that close combat was happening in turn 2. Which meant he was in control of 75% of the board, the whole game.

My army, on the other hand, was a hodgepodge of what I had painted and included a morkanaut. The list got torn to shreds in this thread but still managed to see me on the top table against this guy in the final round.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

No more disturbing than the people with a pathological need to put the boot into GW at every opportunity, real or imagined.

I agree, it's about time someone stood up for those poor defenseless multi-million-dollar corporations. :patriot:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

spacegoat posted:

I want to link a clever gif of the joke going over your head but that sounds like a lot of effort and I don't want to make this thread any worse than it already is. The unfounded anti GW hyperbole in here is so dumb I barely read the thread anymore. There are a million reasons why an independent store might not have stock of something while stock is readily available elsewhere. Complain about tangible stuff instead of pretending that a corporation is literally evil and working against its own interests to make independent store owners sad.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
GW bummed my mum.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
I know you guys want to talk about GW and prices, but I'm going to post a list instead.

quote:

2000pt Orks: Codex (2014), Orks: Codex (2014) Roster (Formation Detachment, Ork Horde Detachment)
Orks: Codex (2014) (Formation Detachment) Selections:
Formation
"Blitz Brigade" (Waaagh! Ghazghkull)
Battlewagon (Codex: Orks)
Reinforced Ram, 4x Rokkit Launcha

Reinforced Ram, 4x Rokkit Launcha

Grot Riggers (It Will Not Die), Reinforced Ram, 4x Rokkit Launcha

"Ghazghkull's Bullyboyz" (Waaagh! Ghazghkull)
Meganobz (Codex: Orks)
5x Boss Meganob w/ Twin-linked Shoota

Orks: Codex (2014) (Ork Horde Detachment) Selections:

HQ
Painboy (Codex: Orks)
Warbike

Zhadsnark 'Da Rippa' (FW) (Dred_Mob.pdf)
Warlord

Troops
Gretchin (Codex: Orks)
10x Gretchin
Runtherd

Gretchin (Codex: Orks)
10x Gretchin
Runtherd

Zhadsnark's Warbikers (Codex: Orks)
14x Warbiker
Warbiker Nob
Bosspole, Power Klaw

Fast Attack

Deffkoptas (Codex: Orks)
Deffkopta
Twin-linked Rokkit Launcha

Deffkopta

Deffkopta

What do you guys think? I'll have nine scouting units, three scoring troops and plenty of krumpin' ability. Would you enjoy playing against this or is it really hammy and boring?

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I've been feeling less butthurt about the Kan nerfs; as S7, they really are like the Deff Dreads' lil' bros :3:

Of course, I might also be slowly trying to convince myself to buy 2 lovely Orkanauts and one more box of Kanz to run the new Deff Dread detachment. For that matter, why the gently caress does that detachment require a Painboy?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

You run with fleet. If it moves as a Jet Pack unit in the movement phase, it only moves 6" as opposed to 12". It's a solid unit.

Uh, so it moves as fast (or slow) as every other walking MC in the codex? No, that doesn't make it solid. 6+d6" movement is slow when the enemy gunline can walk backwards 6" every turn for at least 3 turns of the game.
A Carnifex moves just as fast as it does, and as interesting as leaping over a unit could be, it's highly impractical considering the base is so freaking huge that you wouldn't be able to clear a screening squad with even an above-average roll for charge distance which would cause the charge to fail(?).

To make this thing useable, all they need to do is give it a 12" move. As it is, it's slow and to get it's FNP it needs to get into melee. That doesn't help it during the first 3-4 turns of the game where it's crawling across the field getting shot at. At least it's slow enough that it keeps pace with Venomthropes, I guess. All in all, it's kinda like the Haruspex (which never sees the battlefield because the Exocrine is a thousand times better. Who says that GW isn't weighted towards shooting? :smug:)

EDIT: NTRabbit, are you an Ausgoon too or just someone who's looked way too far into our lovely trading laws?
EDIT 2: Oh boy, the Stonecrusher 'fex is actually good. FW have redeemed themselves (now they just need to fix the Heirophant)

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 21, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

HiveCommander posted:

when the enemy gunline can walk backwards 6" every turn for at least 3 turns of the game.

They usually can't, though, because most setups leave you with just 12" of backfield.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

They usually can't, though, because most setups leave you with just 12" of backfield.

2 turns of kiting is 1-2 more turns it takes for that MC to get to your lines unless you're taking free shots by declaring charges against models 20" away just for the further not-running distance (Are you even allowed to do that in 7th?).

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I've been feeling less butthurt about the Kan nerfs; as S7, they really are like the Deff Dreads' lil' bros :3:

Of course, I might also be slowly trying to convince myself to buy 2 lovely Orkanauts and one more box of Kanz to run the new Deff Dread detachment. For that matter, why the gently caress does that detachment require a Painboy?

Best I've been able to think of nostalgia purposes. Your dreds used to be limited by your pain Boyz back in 1st and 2nd.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

PeterWeller posted:

Moving laterally is also pretty common, and while it's not as efficient overall, as HiveCommander notes you don't need to walk backwards for an infinite number of turns, just long enough to get rid of all their wounds. 6+d6" generally means you are going to be assaulting on turn 4 or turn 5 against most armies, and that's just way too slow to realistically expect that it's going to have a significant effect on the game. It's probably better to just grab a pair of Carnifexes instead.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Yeah man, I get that you can kite. I was just pointing out that you will run out of room for falling straight back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Also skirting the board edge is usually a good way to lose entire units to falling back and most gunline armies don't exactly have rock-solid Ld.

• Locked thread