Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
My Sony PRS-300 seems to be biting the dust after four years and I'm looking to replace it. However, I don't want a Kindle or a Nook, and I didn't see any suggestions for other devices in the OP or the last two pages. All I want is another device that'll take epubs, mobis, and pdfs, and plays nice with Adobe DRM. As far as I can tell, it looks like I'll do best picking up a Kobo Glo or Aura? The Aura is actually $20 cheaper than the Glo on Kobo's site right now.

...Actually, just saw that the Aura has Pocket integration. Unless somebody tells me it's a terrible, no-good idea, I'll pick that up.

e: I went for it, $110 is a heckuva deal. Lasts until the 23rd for those interested. Thanks!

Manky fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I recently swapped my old Kobo Glo for a Kobo Aura (just to get a new toy) and, well, in my opinion they're both great; not really a bad thing to say about either of them. They both have Pocket integration too -- the Glo got it in a firmware update.

Unlike the Glo, the Aura has a glass display that can have quite a bit of glare in a bright environment but I've found it really doesn't annoy me at all even under direct sunlight. edit: Actually the glass is a matte one that has hardly any glare. I had left the original protective film on which had plenty of glare, but now that I finally removed it, the glass itself doesn't have any more glare than the Glo did. It's great.

I do feel the Aura's frontlight is a bit better than that on the Glo; more uniform, less blue-tinted and looks better overall especially when set at low brightness. Also I much prefer the Aura's capacitive screen over the Glo's resistive one. Aura's coolest new little feature is the direct brightness adjustment by dragging up or down with two fingers.

Bottom line is, yep, they're good.

edit: Also, this is an excellent and cheap sleep cover for the Aura: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-Auto-Sleep-Leather-Cover-Case-For-kobo-aura-non-HD-6-6-0-inch-eReader-/251488398658

Zat fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 14, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Amazon's DOTD is a current gen refurb Paperwhite for 85$.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=pe_837390_121091160_dotd_h_t

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

I think this will be what gets me to upgrade my kindle.

Edit: yeah I caved and ordered one. Any recommendations on cases?

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 15, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I bought a new one to upgrade from my v1 paperwhite when they were available, and it was pretty awesome.

Gotta admit, reading without the lamp on at night is pretty sweet.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I've been searching for hours, and I don't know if it exists, but is there a decent eink reader that can be bought for under £100, used or not, and has a larger screen than 6"?

I can get a decent 6" ereader for around £30-£60, but for some reason, going up an inch raises the price by nearly £100.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Megaspel posted:

I've been searching for hours, and I don't know if it exists, but is there a decent eink reader that can be bought for under £100, used or not, and has a larger screen than 6"?

I can get a decent 6" ereader for around £30-£60, but for some reason, going up an inch raises the price by nearly £100.

First generation Kindle DX is probably your cheapest option judging from the range of prices on Ebay & Amazon; I saw a couple of Second generation Kindle DX a.k.a. "Grey/Graphite" for just under £100 used but those were the far cheaper options.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

I think this will be what gets me to upgrade my kindle.

Edit: yeah I caved and ordered one. Any recommendations on cases?

I got the one that Wirecuttter suggests:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-amazon-kindle-paperwhite-case/

$13 from Amazon and works great, especially how it turns on when you open it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Megaspel posted:

You probably won't be able to get that except if you get lucky buying a used Kindle DX. Larger e-ink screens simply cost a lot more.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Damnit, I was really hoping we would get a new hardware announcement to go with the launch of the $10 /month ebook sub service. But nope.

http://tinyurl.com/ok52enz

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Last one came out on September 30th, so I wouldn't expect anything new before then, except maybe a price cut. That's prime holiday shopping season, and a lot of Kindles are given as gifts.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

So how's the selection for that Kindle subscription, is it mostly self-pub Kindle books that are available? Any big publishers?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

hope and vaseline posted:

So how's the selection for that Kindle subscription, is it mostly self-pub Kindle books that are available? Any big publishers?

I'm seeing a good chunk of my wish list on there.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah the stuff available in the "recommended" section that it is showing me is basically all books that I want to read.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Not seeing a lot of my to-read list on there but it seems that there are a lot of popular series available; might be good for a vacation or time period where one is relatively free to power through a given set of books.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My backlog of Kindle books I've bought but not read yet is already intimidating enough.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Maybe my tastes run eclectic, but there is virtually nothing from my wishlist available. Tons and tons of self-published drivel in there as well. Seems to skew towards popular fiction, I widened my search to relatively popular non-fiction stuff that ~sort of~ interested me and came up empty handed as well. I couldn't cancel that 30-day trial fast enough.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Kindle Subscription Thing would also be more appealing if Paperwhite had a headphone jack. I rolled my eyes when I saw the screensaver ad for "thousands of audiobooks."

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The issue is that most publishers are loath to do anything tha tmight make their books cheaper for people, and the self publishing guys don't give a gently caress how they make a cent, so one side barely puts up any and the other side barely holds back any.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The Kindle Unlimited thing does offer a 30 day free trial, so you can sign up to see if it lines up with the stuff you read or not and then cancel if the selection isn't good enough. Looks like you can cancel with a simple button press on the amazon site, so it's not like it's a hassle to shut it down if it's no good for you.

I read a lot of terrible horror novels and this seems like it might be a good deal for me.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
After signing for the free month and clicking around, the ratio of chaff to wheat is pretty high. I could read stuff from this list for a month, but probably not much longer.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

withak posted:

After signing for the free month and clicking around, the ratio of chaff to wheat is pretty high. I could read stuff from this list for a month, but probably not much longer.

Yeah pretty much.

It seems perfect if you're the sort that can tolerate self-published works, but I definitely don't fall into that category.

Still, the free trial is nice enough. I'll definitely get a bit of use out of that.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Does it just have the same selection as the leading library maybe?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Furious Lobster posted:

First generation Kindle DX is probably your cheapest option judging from the range of prices on Ebay & Amazon; I saw a couple of Second generation Kindle DX a.k.a. "Grey/Graphite" for just under £100 used but those were the far cheaper options.

Nintendo Kid posted:

You probably won't be able to get that except if you get lucky buying a used Kindle DX. Larger e-ink screens simply cost a lot more.

Thanks. Even the Kindle DX at about £120 is a bit too expensive for me. My mate let me look at his 6" Kindle and it looked good enough, and it's light enough to hold up to my face for ages.

In the end, I went to Southampton to buy a £35 Nook Simple Touch Glowlight from a nice person who forgot to tell me her house number. It cost another £7 in train fairs because I gave up cycling about 15 miles in and I don't think I could've made it their in time anyway.

Turned out to be a good thing I did though, since while I was their my pedal fell off my lovely Raleigh crankset crank arm which is apparently made out of spit and dirt. Thankfully, she gave me some zip-ties so I could jam my chain de-linker into the hole where my pedal is supposed to go, which let me ride to the train station before it shut, albeit my left leg got unnaturally over developed from the extra effort required of it.

Anyway, the Nook is great, has a built in light, physical buttons, SD card and I'm just finishing rooting it and installing android apps now.

Never buy anything Raleigh.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I have the old school Kindle 3G with a keyboard and just bought a paperwhite. It is day 2 and for some reason I do not seem to like the Paperwhite as much. I am not sure if it is the touchscreen to turn the pages, the different form factor, or what. Did anyone else go though the same transition and initially dislike the Paperwhite?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Ribsauce posted:

I have the old school Kindle 3G with a keyboard and just bought a paperwhite. It is day 2 and for some reason I do not seem to like the Paperwhite as much. I am not sure if it is the touchscreen to turn the pages, the different form factor, or what. Did anyone else go though the same transition and initially dislike the Paperwhite?

I went from a 3G keyboard to a first gen Paperwhite and couldn't have been more pumped from the beginning. It may have helped that my favourite chair to read in is poorly lit so the light paid off immediately. It did take a little bit to adjust to the lack of physical page turn buttons but I don't give it a second thought now. I like that the Paperwhite is still pretty small and light, even with the (Amazon) case.

I guess that doesn't help much.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ribsauce posted:

It took a couple of days to adjust to the Paperwhite after going from a Kindle Keyboard due to how small the former is and getting used to holding it differently; I'm still not entirely happy about using the touchscreen to turn the pages but as ChetRckless states, one's appreciation grows by leaps and bounds after using it in dimly lit places.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ribsauce posted:

I also didn't like moving to touchscreen only, but I eventually got used to it. I found it helped to get a case for it so it was more comfortable to hold.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It took me a few hours to adjust to the new controls but I prefer the paperwhite a lot. And yeah, I do think the case helps with the holding of it.

Mind you, I still keep accidentally changing font sizes. That's a little irritating.

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It took me a few hours to adjust to the new controls but I prefer the paperwhite a lot. And yeah, I do think the case helps with the holding of it.

Mind you, I still keep accidentally changing font sizes. That's a little irritating.
Yes, me too, all the time.

Apart from that i love my Paperwhite. Don't miss the physical buttons much.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The case made all the difference for me. I got it about a month after I got the device and was much happier.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Which case? The official Amazon one or another one? I am going to force myself to stick with the Paperwhite this week.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I have the official one. It feels very nice to hold and doesn't add much weight. The way it turns on when you open the case also improves the experience of using the paperwhite more than you might think.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ribsauce posted:

Which case? The official Amazon one or another one? I am going to force myself to stick with the Paperwhite this week.

I personally use a cheaper generic one, but the Amazon official case also feels good. I'd still be using the official case, but mine got lost on a trip so I picked up the cheap one to replace it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062IPIPQ/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's $12.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ribsauce posted:

Its different but I just switched and I like the paperwhite. But I would def recommend a case with it, I think that helps.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Ribsauce posted:

The official case.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

This happens to me all the time too. If/when we finally get a Paperwhite with physical page turn buttons, I will be all over it.

Speaking of this problem, I only seem to be able to activate the "shortcut to change font sizes" mode when I don't mean to. When I'm trying to change them back, I have to take the long route, via the menus. How do you get the shortcut mode to happen?

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.

Mnemosyne posted:

This happens to me all the time too. If/when we finally get a Paperwhite with physical page turn buttons, I will be all over it.

Speaking of this problem, I only seem to be able to activate the "shortcut to change font sizes" mode when I don't mean to. When I'm trying to change them back, I have to take the long route, via the menus. How do you get the shortcut mode to happen?
Pinch

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

I have to say I didn't even know this was a thing. I've never done that once in the nearly two years I've had my Paperwhite. Is this only on the second generation Paperwhite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

10-8 posted:

I have to say I didn't even know this was a thing. I've never done that once in the nearly two years I've had my Paperwhite. Is this only on the second generation Paperwhite?

Mine is a first gen Paperwhite and I accidentally end up doing a quick-switch on font size all the time, so it must be all of them.