Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.

Sounds like GViktor Pelevin to me, except he's post-soviet. Not that it matters though since, like all things from the 90s, he has a timeless quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

inktvis posted:

Sounds like GViktor Pelevin to me, except he's post-soviet. Not that it matters though since, like all things from the 90s, he has a timeless quality.

I was going to say Pelevin as well. Sounds like his book Empire V. I have not read this book. But I have homo zapiens and the helmet of horror and they were both really good. Homo Zapiens is sort of like a subversive post-Soviet Horatio Alger story.

Lucania
May 1, 2009

Xun posted:

Well this is a good a place to ask as any. I've heard of some Russian "literature" written during the Soviet Union where the writer wrote some book criticizing the bureaucracy and saying they were all vampires. He later wrote another book about how the bureaucracy was so bad even vampires thought it was poo poo. I think his name started with a G. All my google searches have brought up Draco Malfoy vampire fan fiction and the vampire diaries. WHAT ARE THESE BOOKS I MUST READ THEM.
Bulgakov? The first being the short story When the Dead Rise From the Grave and the second being The Master and Margarita - the latter isn't just vamps, but a bunch of supernatural beings crapping on Soviet bureaucracy.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Jive One posted:

If anyone is looking for a solid list of classic literature I edited an old 2009 thread's OP into my post at the beginning of this thread. Lots of books from different eras and across different cultures. Big post but worth reading I think.

Needs more Ferdowsi. And Rumi.

(I'm sorry, I got trapped with some Persians for a while.)

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

I don't think Gogol satirized the USSR as he died the better part of a century before its inception.

Yeah, the author can't be Gogol in this case but everyone should read him anyways because hes amazing.

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?
I have Dead Souls next up in my queue after I finish Journey to the End of the Night and Much Ado About Nothing, so hopefully I'll be starting it within the next few days. Question after that will be if I want to read any of the essays that come with it; I'm starting to really like the Norton Critical Editions of books just for existing, but I usually find that I would rather just move onto another book.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Just move onto the book.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

It was Bulgakov, thanks! I might have been thinking it was Gogol, all I know is some stuff from a half remembered conversation. But now I have a bunch of other Russian writers to look at too yay.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Xun posted:

It was Bulgakov, thanks! I might have been thinking it was Gogol, all I know is some stuff from a half remembered conversation. But now I have a bunch of other Russian writers to look at too yay.

Do I have a thread for you!

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

the JJ posted:

Needs more Ferdowsi. And Rumi.

(I'm sorry, I got trapped with some Persians for a while.)

Translated poetry :whitewater:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Translated poetry owns, you just have to get over the idea that it's the original composition, because honey, it ain't.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I posted that Dickens thread, here's the link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3652121

It's probably not very good but if you guys wanna talk about Wackford Squeers that's the place!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I almost suggested Bulgakov but I didn't know he included vampires in his crew of witches, cats and Pilate.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Does anyone know a good English translation of Goethe's Faust, or at least which ones are just awful and to be avoided?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

Does anyone know a good English translation of Goethe's Faust, or at least which ones are just awful and to be avoided?

David Luke did a pretty good contemporary translation with tons of notes if that is your thing. Beyard Taylor's is an older translation that keeps the original metre but you are bereft of all the extra dlc content that Luke's version contains but I still find it p. decee.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I have the Calla edition of Faust which I think is the Bayard Taylor translation. Also it is illustrated by Harry Clarke and just really nice to look at, not only read.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 22, 2014

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?
Has anyone else read the Arndt translation? It's the translation I read, and I liked it a lot for the most part, so if there's a significantly better translation that would be pretty cool.

All Nines fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 22, 2014

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Cloks posted:

If people are looking for something modern and reminiscent of Calvino, you could do worse than read "The Unchangeable Spots of Leopards" by Kristopher Jansma.

It's an old recommendation, but I also read and enjoyed this. Thanks!

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Fun question I've always wondered and this is the best thread I can see to do it in: who do you think will be regarded as our generation's literary stars one hundred years from now? Who will be our Hemingway, our Faulkner? Will we even have one or has the ease of publication ended the era of literary greats and instead started a new one of the literary "mediocre-to-good"?

Usually when I ask this question, I get a whole lot of "X author who like ten people have heard of". Which isn't answering the question at all.

e: for frame of reference, here's what the readers of 1936 said when asked the same question. I can think of a few I'm certain will be remembered, but while they are some of my favorite writers, none of them are particularly "literary" (Neil Gaiman & Margaret Atwood excepted). Also I don't know what it says about our society, but I can definitely think of more modern TV shows that could be called literature than I can modern books.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 24, 2014

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Captain Mog posted:

Fun question I've always wondered and this is the best thread I can see to do it in: who do you think will be regarded as our generation's literary stars one hundred years from now? Who will be our Hemingway, our Faulkner? Will we even have one or has the ease of publication ended the era of literary greats and instead started a new one of the literary "mediocre-to-good"?

Usually when I ask this question, I get a whole lot of "X author who like ten people have heard of". Which isn't answering the question at all.

I've honestly got no idea, and I don't think we'll know until the next generation rolls around and we've forgotten the mediocre stuff and the good stuff's stuck in the collective minds of the public.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Captain Mog posted:

No idea. People forget, but probably the best reviewed writer of that day, Franz Kafka was just a crazy guy in Prague. It'll probably be someone like that.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

No idea. People forget, but probably the best reviewed writer of that day, Franz Kafka was just a crazy guy in Prague. It'll probably be someone like that.
Sounds like I've got a chance! :mrapig:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thomas Pynchon for sure

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
It surprises me that Jorge Luis Borges hasn't been mentioned in this thread. I picked up Collected Fictions a while back and it continues to blow my mind. His stories are like literary brain-teasers, with plenty of things to decipher, piece together and puzzle out for yourself.

If you're looking for a good place to start, I'd recommend the story The Garden of Forking Paths. Ostensibly, it's about a spy, but don't read anything else about it ahead of time, just jump in and discover the trippy mind-fuckery for yourself.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

tonytheshoes posted:

It surprises me that Jorge Luis Borges hasn't been mentioned in this thread. I picked up Collected Fictions a while back and it continues to blow my mind. His stories are like literary brain-teasers, with plenty of things to decipher, piece together and puzzle out for yourself.

Borges poetry is also quite worthwhile. The Penguin Books edition is nice because it has the Spanish original alongside the English translations. I used to use that book to practice my Spanish.

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

I think about food literally all day every day. It's a thing.

Captain Mog posted:

This question was asked once in that A/T thread by the English professor. The answer was pretty interesting:

Powered Descent posted:

Here's a strange one for you.

I know this isn't quite your specialty, but is there any contemporary literature (say, from 1950 onward) that you suspect future historians will regard as the classics of our time? Flash forward to an English Lit class at Tranquility Base University in the year 2309. What 20th and 21st century authors will your silver-jumpsuited counterpart remember in one breath with the Bard?

Will the class discuss Robert Heinlein and Arthur C. Clarke? J.D. Salinger and William Golding? Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume? Stephen King and Dean Koontz? Or even... J.K. Rowling and Stephanie Meyer?

Brainworm posted:

If I were betting, I'd split two ways:

1) Probably, people are going to remember the late 20th / early 21st as the infancy of recorded music, film, television, and various species of hypertext, regardless of whether those media produce any durable classics.

2) Of all the authors you've listed, Stephen King seems the most likely to win a place in the canon of American Naturalism. And he deserves it. It's worth remembering that most classics were commercial successes if not blockbusters -- that's a necessary, if not sufficient, condition for real durability. So that immediately excludes most avant-garde and academic novelists (and every post-1950 poet except Robert Frost).

Second, King swims against the current. I'll exclude The Stand for a second. Most post-1950 genre innovations have involved human beings accidentally breaking the world, or at least the threat of the world being broken by some human action, deliberate or no. Think of SF time travel plots for a second. In, say, The Time Machine, Wells doesn't give a poo poo about causality. Instead, you get a more or less allegorical extension of Wells's contemporary social divisions. In that sense, the text is more like Swift's Modest Proposal than anything.

But in any post-1950 time travel plot, the unwritten assumption is that people have the ability to irreparably break the world -- see "The Sound of Thunder" for an early example or, you know, any original time travel plot in film or television. This kind of anxiety pervades modern media, in one form or other, like you wouldn't believe.

King, on the other hand, generally tells a completely different kind of story (BTW, inventing an entirely new novel subgenre in the process), in which sympathetic characters' basic humanity is menaced by a threat that, generally speaking, is not a consequence of human action. Carrie's not a threat because she's an outcast. She's a threat because she can kill people by thinking. And Cujo isn't a threat because he was a terribly abused dog who turned vicious. He gets rabies in a totally natural way and menaces a mom and kid for no good reason at all.

Third, It's no small matter that (when he wasn't drunk or coked up) King's an extremely capable writer and versatile storyteller. Compare the way the story in Carrie is framed and forwarded to, well, any other author's first effort, and you'll see a huge difference. King has some real kung-fu, even if early success means he hasn't always needed to exercise it.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

tonytheshoes posted:

If you're looking for a good place to start, I'd recommend the story The Garden of Forking Paths. Ostensibly, it's about a spy, but don't read anything else about it ahead of time, just jump in and discover the trippy mind-fuckery for yourself.

Borges' essays are all really well informed investigtions of interesting topics and occasionally he just makes up funny references to prove a point http://www.alamut.com/subj/artiface/language/johnWilkins.html

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue
The Booker Prize long list is out. Now with American Authors!

http://www.themillions.com/2014/07/here-come-the-americans-the-2014-booker-prize-longlist.html

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

blue squares posted:

Thomas Pynchon for sure

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

All literary long-lists make me depressed because not only have I read none of them, I've not heard of any of them either.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

CestMoi posted:

Borges' essays are all really well informed investigtions of interesting topics and occasionally he just makes up funny references to prove a point http://www.alamut.com/subj/artiface/language/johnWilkins.html

Barlow posted:

Borges poetry is also quite worthwhile. The Penguin Books edition is nice because it has the Spanish original alongside the English translations. I used to use that book to practice my Spanish.

I've only read his fiction, but I'll definitely check these out. Thanks!

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Mr. Squishy posted:

All literary long-lists make me depressed because not only have I read none of them, I've not heard of any of them either.

I've surprised myself this year by having a copy of 4 of these books and actually having heard of a couple of others. I've heard especially good things about the Joshua Ferris book.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

I'm generally crap at knowing such athors too, but I am actually reading a Siri Hustvedt book right now (The Summer Without Men, it is very good!) and if it is the David Mitchell, then I've seen a large number of skits featuring him.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
There's David Mitchell the British comedian (of Peep Show fame) and there's David Mitchell the British author, who's written Cloud Atlas and Black Swan Green. I'm really excited for his new one, and its nomination just whets my appetite.

He also just shared a related short story on twitter:

http://www.themillions.com/2014/07/exclusive-david-mitchells-twitter-story-the-right-sort-collected.html

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm very very slowly reading Gravity's Rainbow and relishing it. I'd like having some concordance, or discussion spot, or some kind of companion to it as I'm reading. Just started the third section, and would prefer to avoid major spoilers. Any ideas, Real Literature folks?

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Mescal posted:

I'm very very slowly reading Gravity's Rainbow and relishing it. I'd like having some concordance, or discussion spot, or some kind of companion to it as I'm reading. Just started the third section, and would prefer to avoid major spoilers. Any ideas, Real Literature folks?

You could make a let's read thread about it here and try to read a certain length as a group per week and discuss it, I'd post in it because I'm going through the book myself as well

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

mango gay touchies posted:

You could make a let's read thread about it here and try to read a certain length as a group per week and discuss it, I'd post in it because I'm going through the book myself as well

Do you think? If I did, it couldn't really be a certain length per week just because of the nature of the book. It'll take you either a few days or a year to read it--I bought my copy three years ago, actually. Anyway, there's no way to keep a group on the same page. If TBB isn't picky about OPs I could throw one up real quick for general discussion.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

If you're worried about spoilers I don't think a general discussion thread would do you too much good, but maybe that's just me

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mescal posted:

Do you think? If I did, it couldn't really be a certain length per week just because of the nature of the book. It'll take you either a few days or a year to read it--I bought my copy three years ago, actually. Anyway, there's no way to keep a group on the same page. If TBB isn't picky about OPs I could throw one up real quick for general discussion.

TBB is not picky about OP's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'd participate. I finished GR recently and it was one the most amazing books I've ever read. Plus, I don't understand enough of it to spoiler anyone! I'd keep up with a thread and post my own stuff while closely monitoring everything to avoid giving anything away. I did start a Postmodern Lit thread, but it has pretty much died. Probably because I suck at OPs. Anyway, maybe you're better at it, so post away and I'll see you there!