Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

FailAtMagic posted:

I'm pretty sure the only way for and ad to not be detectable it would have to be encoded into the video itself but then you could just fast forward so its an unwinnable situation for google

Of course if they were to encode a ten second ad into the middle of a video, it would probably be more inconvenient to skip it than to just let the thing play. Not that that would stop people from doing it on principle and it would almost certainly get about a hundred complaints in the first minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
If ads were ten seconds long in general, people would probably watch them, but what company is going to buy a ten-second ad slot? They could barely get in the name of the product and the disclaimers, let alone the mandatory joke that's going to offend half their customer base, the annoying mascot, or the paid testimonial.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Nidoking posted:

If ads were ten seconds long in general, people would probably watch them, but what company is going to buy a ten-second ad slot? They could barely get in the name of the product and the disclaimers, let alone the mandatory joke that's going to offend half their customer base, the annoying mascot, or the paid testimonial.

Nah, I knew that valkhorn guy sucked within like 5 seconds of his ad.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Japanese commercials get out twice the message (and weird) in half the time of american commercials. Gotta adapt.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

slowbeef posted:

Nah, I knew that valkhorn guy sucked within like 5 seconds of his ad.

And he tries to PM me after this.

valkhorn, I thought you'd taken your leave of SA long ago. Either way, it's a silly rejoinder to Nidoking's comment about ads. Sheesh.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
If you say disparaging things about Valkhorn three times in front of a mirror he'll appear and whine at you. :ghost:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

slowbeef posted:

valkhorn, I thought you'd taken your leave of SA long ago. Either way, it's a silly rejoinder to Nidoking's comment about ads. Sheesh.

You can't say this and not post the PM, mate.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

slowbeef posted:

I prefer to keep private issues between you and me private. A little birdie told me you insulted me, in public, again, and so I checked it out. I thought maybe if you had some issue with me we could handle it like people instead of behind each other's backs. I'm not going to forget that you personally insulted me here as well as passed along gossip about me that wasn't true - but that matter again is between you and me, and has nothing to do with everyone else on this forum. You know where to find me if you want to discuss the matter further but I won't discuss it further here. I've already tried to contact you, and this is what you chose to do.

Here's an idea, instead of AGAIN poking fun at me here, why don't you *shock* private message me either here or my channel or google plus?

I'm not posting LPs here for reasons - and you guys should be happy with that. If my existence bothers you so much, then fine, make fun of me all you want because obviously it makes you feel better.

Now watch me go on probation yet again for actually giving my side of the discussion and trying to be civil.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

valkhorn posted:

I prefer to keep private issues between you and me private. A little birdie told me you insulted me, in public, again, and so I checked it out. I thought maybe if you had some issue with me we could handle it like people instead of behind each other's backs. I'm not going to forget that you personally insulted me here as well as passed along gossip about me that wasn't true - but that matter again is between you and me, and has nothing to do with everyone else on this forum. You know where to find me if you want to discuss the matter further but I won't discuss it further here. I've already tried to contact you, and this is what you chose to do.

Here's an idea, instead of AGAIN poking fun at me here, why don't you *shock* private message me either here or my channel or google plus?

Or we can continue to make fun of you (in the most vague loving way, it was a loving one-liner joke that basically boiled down to "valkhorn is bad am i right?", grow the gently caress up) here because you react like this, which is also funny.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
This might be shocking news, but the world doesn't revolve around you, Valkhorn.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

valkhorn posted:

I'm not posting LPs here for reasons - and you guys should be happy with that. If my existence bothers you so much, then fine, make fun of me all you want because obviously it makes you feel better.

Now watch me go on probation yet again for actually giving my side of the discussion and trying to be civil.
Valkhorn, I think you're a moron, and your LPs and posting suck. I have PMs if you would like to discuss this further.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I don't think he knows how these forums work yet.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

valkhorn posted:

You know the phrase "gently caress'em if they can't take a joke?"

You are em.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

valkhorn posted:

you're a loving nerd and im going to push you into a locker

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

valkhorn posted:

Barbara Streisand called. She said she hadn't heard of you before you made this post.

Cybernemic
Oct 9, 2012

TEEHEEHEE

valkhorn posted:

Look at this GooglePlus-having nerdlord

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

valkhorn posted:

I'm not posting LPs here for reasons - and you guys should be happy with that.

If you're concerned about our happiness, just imagine how much happier we'd be if you stopped posting whatsoever.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

Stay classy, SomethingAwful. Stay classy.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

valkhorn posted:

Seriously Slowbeef, you can't not post the PM now.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

valkhorn posted:

So how's your Youtube superstar career of spending money to get subscribers going along?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

valkhorn posted:

Learn to take a joke man, seriously. You're not going to earn anyone's respect by being so passive-aggressive about an off-hand quip.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

So how's your Youtube superstar career of spending money to get subscribers going along?

Except that A) I'm not doing that, and the 'ads' you see are free due to FanFinder - but no matter how many times I tell you that you won't believe me, even though I told Slowbeef this, whatever Slowbeef says is the gospel anyways even if it's not true.

Again, the ads you see are free due to FanFinder and I've tried to change/alter it but nothing's happened yet. In fact I didn't want them to pick up that video but they did anyway.

And B) even if I did spend money or not, who cares? It's a hobby, just like any other hobby you might spend money on every now and then.

But hey keep talking about me, this is actually getting entertaining to see the difference between what you guys think about my channel and the reality of it.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

valkhorn posted:

You paid money to post here :lol:

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

valkhorn posted:

This post is a colossal failure on your part to keep it between you and him. You came in here with your drama and now everyone's making fun of you.

quote:

Passive aggression isn't very civil.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

TheModernAmerican posted:

You paid money to post here :lol:

And? I didn't pay money for those channel ads.

maswastaken posted:

This post is a colossal failure on your part to keep it between you and him.

And it's not a failure on his part to not try to contact me privately and whine about it here, which is also passive aggressive?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

valkhorn posted:

Serious talk, you're taking this poo poo too seriously, which is funny since you never took seriously any actual advice people gave you in the Sandcastle. You need to develop a thicker skin if you're going to do something like Let's Plays where you put your effort out there for people to criticize, since you just overreacted to a small offhand comment that would've been overlooked otherwise.

Actually, to move things back into focus for a bit, what are people's experiences with Youtube LPers in terms of taking criticism? Because it really seems like most people just ignore it or shout back in anger, but it'd be cool to hear of examples where people listened and changed stuff for the better.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

valkhorn posted:

Parting shot bullshit like this and your last post in here makes you a lot of friends. <-- Not an insult; using humor as a casual but not very serious criticism. Feel free to laugh and ignore.

Let's you and I be honest: we have no private issues that are worth either of our time. I can't receive PMs, as you'd know from the bounceback e-mail you received when you tried to send me one. I don't know what you consider gossip or insults, or "behind your back" because everything I've said about you has been public. Hell, I even asked you if your ads actually helped with your channel, and I guess I misinterpreted your response in a way you didn't like, but you got pissy at my summary, told us "ta-ta" and here you are again.

You know what? Was gonna write more, but forget it.

Sorry if I offended you, I like to bust balls sometimes, I'll leave you alone, have a good one.

edit: Please do not do some parting shot nonsense.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 21, 2014

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Serious talk, you're taking this poo poo too seriously, which is funny since you never took seriously any actual advice people gave you in the Sandcastle. You need to develop a thicker skin if you're going to do something like Let's Plays where you put your effort out there for people to criticize, since you just overreacted to a small offhand comment that would've been overlooked otherwise.

Actually, to move things back into focus for a bit, what are people's experiences with Youtube LPers in terms of taking criticism? Because it really seems like most people just ignore it or shout back in anger, but it'd be cool to hear of examples where people listened and changed stuff for the better.

That's not true, I took a lot of advice seriously on the sandcastle, so for you to say I took any of it seriously is just not true. But again, your version of reality and the actual events differ, so what difference does it make.

I'm in the public spotlight, and sure sometimes people do poo poo I don't like and for the majority of the time I ignore it, but to gossip behind my back and make up this alternate reality about my channel is somewhat strange, but hey whatever floats your boat.

As far as having a thicker skin - I'm still here and I'm still doing stuff on YouTube.

valkhorn fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 21, 2014

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

slowbeef posted:

Parting shot bullshit like this and your last post in here makes you a lot of friends. <-- Not an insult; using humor as a casual but not very serious criticism. Feel free to laugh and ignore.

Let's you and I be honest: we have no private issues that are worth either of our time. I can't receive PMs, as you'd know from the bounceback e-mail you received when you tried to send me one. I don't what you consider gossip or insults, or "behind your back" because everything I've said about you has been public. Hell, I even asked you if your ads actually helped with your channel, and I guess I misinterpreted your response in a way you didn't like, but you got pissy at my summary, told us "ta-ta" and here you are again.

You know what? Was gonna write more, but forget it.

Sorry if I offended you, I like to bust balls sometimes, I'll leave you alone, have a good one.

edit: Please do not do some parting shot nonsense.

Thank you for the response, and you have a good one too.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Valkorn, has the lettering on the F5 key on your keyboard rubbed off yet?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Legit question, what are you trying to achieve here?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The reason people make fun of you is because you're a colossal baby about people making fun of you. Maybe stop that.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Legit question, what are you trying to achieve here?

Just giving my side of the story. If we're going to be honest why not be honest in the open.

Also, like I said earlier, I'm fine that most of you treat me as a punching bag when I show up, but at least the blows come from in front rather than behind.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

valkhorn posted:

Just giving my side of the story. If we're going to be honest why not be honest in the open.

Also, like I said earlier, I'm fine that most of you treat me as a punching bag when I show up, but at least the blows come from in front rather than behind.

I really don't care about all these people insulting me, which is why I should keep posting over and over again telling how hurt I am over this

I must defend the valkhorn brand, for the sake of the 30 people that watch my videos

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

valkhorn posted:

I'm in the public spotlight

In the incredibly loose sense that any random dude on the street is, yes. Maybe 40ish views at most on a Youtube video does not the public spotlight make, mate.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

I really don't care about all these people insulting me, which is why I should keep posting over and over again telling how hurt I am over this

I must defend the valkhorn brand, for the sake of the 30 people that watch my videos

Anything else? I mean you could at least make fun of my trailers or something. Or hey, what about making fun of the games I'm doing? Surely you haven't done that in a while. I know you're itching to go there.

EDIT: Or hey what about my view count? Nobody seems to be making fun of that. You could even be original and call me a nerd.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

valkhorn posted:

What side? What story are you talking about? "Valkhorn is bad" isn't a story or an accusation or anything of the sort, it's just making fun of you. There is no other side to give.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

valkhorn posted:

Anything else? I mean you could at least make fun of my trailers or something. Or hey, what about making fun of the games I'm doing? Surely you haven't done that in a while. I know you're itching to go there.

EDIT: Or hey what about my view count? Nobody seems to be making fun of that. You could even be original and call me a nerd.

Are you for real

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

valkhorn posted:

What do you hope to gain from sticking around and banging on about this? Move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

valkhorn posted:

You realize that every post you make is just making it worse for yourself, right?

• Locked thread