Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

To my experience you don't get a "new" quest. There is a one day queue for daily quests behind the visible quest, all you're allowed to do is forfeit the previous day's quest so you can do today's quest.

Rerolling makes it sound like there's a benefit to the forfeit button, like you can get one of the better tier 1 or tier 2 quests instead. You can't, at least from the two times I tried. You're just forfeiting a quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dahbadu posted:

I thought it was a reroll.

How it works is that, if you don't want to complete a quest, you can forfeit a day after getting it. You'll get a new random quest in its place.

You don't know what "re-roll" means.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Unrelated to daily quests I read a couple reviews of Griffan Bone and I've had this one card summary in the back of my head. This guy:

The guy's review was basically 'one power just keeps it down' and I couldn't figure out why it sounded so dumb. Then I remember two of the best Stronghold cards in standard have 1 power - the Stormrage guys! Admittedly, they rarely stick at 1 power but I doubt this guy is going to either.

I still don't know how the timing rules work, though, but if he can kill something and proc 2 or more counters immediately I think he might be solid. Not sure. Stronghold has an embarrassment of good 2s and 3s.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Every time I see that card, I think to myself "If only this could be used with Spellthor's idiotic removal"

Well I suppose I could use it in Open, but that would require playing Open

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
So I had an idea for a kinda-weird Academy deck today, using the new Academy hero whatshername. It uses a combination of beastman, weenie constructs, and magic resist creatures. Immolation is the big control spell. Also key is that 1-cost buff spell that gives a creature magic resist.

It's been the most effective deck I've played with. I won 6 straight games in a row with it, climbing back up to Champ II rank! My closest game was against an Acamas, who before quitting, said "noob deck" to me. That made my day.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah, getting called out on how bad you are by someone you just defeated is awesome, in any game.

Bonus points if he was using a deck he got online against your self-built deck.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

So I played some more tonight, mostly Haven, to grind a quest. I won like 5/6 with my homebrew Haven (van fem played against it a couple of days ago) and some more with my homebrew Academy deck. First time I broke top 100. I know it's probably not that impressive, but I'm proud of it, especially since it's with heroes that aren't in style right now.

So my question is how far do I need to get until I'm Champ III? Top 50?

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 18, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rating, rating ranking, 'points' and your rank are all only vaguely related things.

You will rank up when you hit 99% or something and then win your next game. Nothing else really seems to matter.

Griefor posted:

Bonus points if he was using a deck he got online against your self-built deck.
Largest points if he was playing a netdeck and screwed up in an obvious way because he doesn't understand the cards in the deck.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Because it's Standard Swiss today, I grinded a bunch of Swiss with my Beastman + Immolation + Magic Resistance deck.

Overall, I did pretty well. I went 2-1 in about 5 of them, went 1-2 in 1, and finally, won my last one. It felt good, because I haven't won one for awhile. I also had a quest to win one, so I earned 4 tournament tickets!

I ended up earning like 8 packs and 4 wildcards, not to mention all the gold. Not bad for a night's play.

I'll post my Beastman and Haven decklist when the cards are available on mmdocking.

Stephen Smith
Nov 8, 2004

«The Grimace Reaper»
Does anyone else gets bugs where cards don't work properly? I'm in a game right now where someone played the Watchtower building, which is destroyed when you kill a creature on it with combat damage. I attacked and killed a creature on it and it's still there. I feel like this has happened to me with multiple buildings.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Stephen Smith posted:

Does anyone else gets bugs where cards don't work properly? I'm in a game right now where someone played the Watchtower building, which is destroyed when you kill a creature on it with combat damage. I attacked and killed a creature on it and it's still there. I feel like this has happened to me with multiple buildings.

What creature were you using and what creature was on it? I think something like Vampire Assassin *might* not work because it's an extra effect. Although I don't know the rules perfectly either. With Magic I knew the rules exactly which really helps your game, in this game especially some timing stuff is not clear to me and I've been in situations where I just wasn't sure whether a play was a good idea since the cards wordings were ambiguous and I didn't know what would happen.

It might be a bug too, but all the situations I've had where what I expected didn't happen I reread all the cards involved and it seemed things just worked a bit different.

Stephen Smith
Nov 8, 2004

«The Grimace Reaper»

Griefor posted:

What creature were you using and what creature was on it? I think something like Vampire Assassin *might* not work because it's an extra effect. Although I don't know the rules perfectly either. With Magic I knew the rules exactly which really helps your game, in this game especially some timing stuff is not clear to me and I've been in situations where I just wasn't sure whether a play was a good idea since the cards wordings were ambiguous and I didn't know what would happen.

It might be a bug too, but all the situations I've had where what I expected didn't happen I reread all the cards involved and it seemed things just worked a bit different.

It was just a generic Untamed Wraith. I kept reading the card thinking I had missed something, but I'm pretty sure it's a bug.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
I am currently stuck at Lord Commander while playing a Acamas rush deck. Could somebody give me some pointers on how to deal with Necro decks. My rush never seems to get off the ground. Often I end up going 3/0/3 just to be able to use Broken Bridge/Surprise Attack. I try to play a Campfire + Blackskull Clan Warlord + Day of the Sanctuary on turn 5.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

If you have the cards I can't recommend the ohyaku/stalker or dune prowler combo enough. Watching players reluctantly deploy their troops into the meatgrinder is great fun. Been playing Sanctuary in the weekly for dailies and every time I set the combo up I can't stop laughing at the poor bastards.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

So one of my enhancement requests got some traction on the Ubi forum: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/899783-Enhancement-Request-Please-have-Standard-Swiss-available-every-day/page3

Ubisoft Community Manager posted:

Your request has been heard and forwarded to the dev team, I strongly endorsed it =)

No ETA or even a definite answer at the moment, but I'll keep you posted =)

Still no feedback on guilds...

Although probably much won't come of it, at least it's nice to see that the request got some eyeballs. Once GB packs are available for gold and some goons start taking this up again, it would be nice to have Standard Swiss available every day.

LiftAuff -- I'm not an Acamas pro, so I'm probably not the best qualified to give advice, but you wanna post your decklist?

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Dahbadu posted:

LiftAuff -- I'm not an Acamas pro, so I'm probably not the best qualified to give advice, but you wanna post your decklist?

http://tools.mmdocking.com/decks/show/12383

The only reason I want to make it to Champion is because of the Wildcard dailies.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

That looks like a really solid deck. Maybe 1 less Sacrificial Altar and 1 more Broken Bridge? Or a Revised Tactics? Whatever the case, your deck is nice and optimized.

All I can suggest, which you're probably already doing, is to focus on killing your opponent and less killing his creatures. Put him in a position where he's forced to chump block to stay alive. Also, your 1/0/5 guys make great chump blockers. Feel free to throw them in a lane to absorb damage, if needed.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

LiftAuff posted:

The only reason I want to make it to Champion is because of the Wildcard dailies.

I'm no Acamas expert either, but if I played the deck I might
Add:
4x Pao Veteran (uncommon from Heart of Nightmares, they can really screw up combat math)
2x Stormrage Hunter
2x Blackskull Warchanter (common from Base Set 2)
2x Ancestral Champion (another uncommon from Heart of Nightmares)
2x Blackskull Crusher (immune to enemy spells, the biggest pain in the rear end)
1x Surprise Attack

Drop:
1x Campfire
4x Harpy
2x Dreamwalker (3 production is too expensive for 2 power and 4 toughness )
1x Altar of Asha (not particularly amazing for your deck)
2x Sacrificial Altar (only really want to use these to close out games)
1x Might of the Tribe
2x Centaur Archer (generally not safe to play into occupied rows)

van fem fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 20, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's a netdeck, that's the previous best deck in the format, except he has 2x Dreamwalker over 2x Stormrage Hunter which is really painful and I assume over availability? Because I would fix that, either putting Hunters in or maybe put in Crushers, Brawlers, Oliphants or Blackskulls or just something that doesn't need magic.

I found Acamas surprisingly harder to play than expected. You kinda rely on getting set up and saving removal til you can punch through a bunch of damage in a turn, but against necro if they pull a bunch of incorps it is a real pain in the rear end.

Also just rolled Skillful Leader a second time in a week. Ugh. Don't wanna swiss :(

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Yeah, I just started playing again and this was the cheapest deck I could cobble together from the old cards. I ditched the Dreamwalkers and put in War Oliphants and I'll try Blackskull Crushers.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

LiftAuff posted:

Just a disclaimer, but I haven't played in the top tier since BS2. However, I did play a mean Spellthor last season. All the advice is assuming that you're not restricted by your card pool.

- Drop the Dreamwalkers and replace them with Stormrage Hunters. Hunters are sick with unlimited enrage counters along with having 5 HP, which makes them good fodder for altars.

- Kick Campfire (I honestly think it's a very overrated card) for another copy of Surprise Attack, Broken Bridge, and Might of the Tribe. The three cards I just listed are removal, whereas Campfire is just there to accelerate your deck. Pick the one you want.

- Forget Day of Sanctuary and pick up Week of the Elder Races instead. You're playing Stronghold, which is pretty much tribal in the first place. It's like a guaranteed Week of Mercenaries. Think about how strong that is.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Campfire's purpose isn't so much to accelerate even though it does do that, it's so that you essentially have a 55 card deck instead of a 59 card one. It's a non-card so keep it in the deck and cut out something else if you want to have different poo poo.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Well I got lucky and got a bunch of wins against non Necros and made Champion I. Wildcards quests here I come. :)

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Sorry about not-responding you in-game, Spider. I was AFK (doing work on another monitor). You still need to borrow me?

JamesWestfall
Mar 29, 2010

It is pretty crazy how many new players run decks of 100+ cards.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Now that I'm almost done grinding out the campaign, I'm looking to build a real deck to climb the ladder again. I'd like to move away from SH and I've got a few nice epic rares in Haven, so does anyone have a Haven list I can shamelessly netdeck? I need to figure out what I should be saving up my WCs for.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Meta will probably go bonkers in two days but there's a lovely Morgan list here

Probably ends up wanting Cleansing, trees, angel protectors and a bunch of other random poo poo post-GB rush anyway. That's about the best Haven deck for standard pre-GB. It will be sort of interesting to see how the stackables work with it.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Here's my Haven decklist that I'm currently running. It's pretty different from what's in "meta" right now, but it has a decent winrate against top decks so whatevs:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Why not run big Anael or Tithe guy if you're running Hall of Memories? I also don't understand Healing Sister here, seems like she doesn't do overly much?

I also really hate elite squire but that might just be my experience. Just seems like he flops over dead to everything and lines you up for getting geysered in the butt.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

The Healing Sister is a 1/1/5 w/ no retaliation for 2 resources and is human. She's a great chump blocker. Also, if she's out and you have an hurt angel and an empty barracks, you can move the angel to the barracks and heal it -- but this rarely happens.

There's only so many slots for heavy hitters in a deck. I prefer the unique fire guy (great synergy with scattershot marksmen) and the 7-drop that makes all my humans unkillable angel.

The only thing I'm tweaking now is the fire blasts. They don't seem to help too much with the deck compared to an Inferno rush-down deck. My Haven deck is an attrition deck that wins late game, and I need ways to reset the board.

So 2 more days until you can buy GB for gold? Pretty sweet...

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
How healthy is this game right now? I just discovered it and I have found it fun and interesting so far, but I seem to have joined at a fairly late stage and to be honest I'm a little worried they're suddenly going to announce the game is no longer going to be developed and the player base will dry up completely. Is this a legitimate concern?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Faced an Akane Sandstorm deck just now, using my own Ariana deck with almost no pure shooters and no dispels. She locked down my creatures almost the entire game, but due to being Ariana, queen of murdering poo poo instantly, i cleared out all creatures constantly, slowly grinding down the libraries while taking minimum damage. Still she got some good hits and and then, with 1 hp left, on turn 35, this happens(she had let the sandstorm stay in the graveyard the turn before so i managed to banish it, guess she thought she had the game).

:getin:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

King Pawn posted:

How healthy is this game right now? I just discovered it and I have found it fun and interesting so far, but I seem to have joined at a fairly late stage and to be honest I'm a little worried they're suddenly going to announce the game is no longer going to be developed and the player base will dry up completely. Is this a legitimate concern?

All I know is that I can get a game reasonably quick (30 seconds average) in ranked queue. During primetime, a Standard Swiss usually fills up in a couple of minutes. A new Hearthstone expansion is being released today, so there may be a permanent or temporary dip in player numbers.

I'm also higher up the ladder where many established active players are. I'm not sure if it's better or worse at the bottom. For those climbing the ladder, what's the wait time near the bottom?

I also want to point out that if you do have the time to spend, this game really is F2P. The amount of gold, packs and WC you get for completing the campaign is enough to build most any Standard deck you want (once GB packs go on sale for gold in a couple of days), and you'll end up getting a lot of gold from just playing. For example, over the last 2 weeks of playing (3 hrs a day?) I've made about 300k gold, won 10+ packs from tournaments, and have accumulated about 20 WC. So it's not like once you're done with the campaign the F2P rewards stop.

Stephen Smith
Nov 8, 2004

«The Grimace Reaper»
Wait times are about the same at the bottom of the ladder. Climbed from Recruit > Squire > Knight recently, and I rarely have to wait 30 seconds for a quick match. Played my first tournament the other day which takes a bit longer, maybe 2 minutes to get a full 8 players. Steam data shows an increase in players for this month, I don't think this game is going anywhere for a while.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

So I did some more tweaking to my Haven deck, redoing some of my spells.

Removed:
Sunbursts
Fire Bolts
Hall of Memories

Added:
Arkath's Wrath
Fire Blasts

It works better now.

Edit: I was also looking over the new Naxx expansion for Hearthstone. It's interesting how they added a bunch of Legendary cards, some of which are very powerful, and MMDOC took the opposite route with their latest expansion, cutting back on the Epic cards. I think the fact that right now you have top-tier Standard decks with and without cards from the latest expansion speaks well of the balancing and expansion of lateral power by the designers. Hopefully in the next expansion they don't get money hungry and release a bunch of OP Epic cards.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 22, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Eh, several of the epics should be in tons of decks after GB hits gold. Which btw appears to have been pushed back to friday at the earliest.

Any idea what today's patch was for?

JamesWestfall
Mar 29, 2010

Was a couple of bug fixes, why do you think the GB for gold has been pushed back to friday?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
A couple Ubi guys on the DoC reddit mentioned friday.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Is mm docking still the best place for decks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

http://mmdocking.com/ - yeah, I think that's the "go-to" place still. Also, some of the decks on there are pretty lovely, so ask us before you invest in cards to build a deck.

• Locked thread