Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

The Holy Wayne/Tommy storyline is my least favorite by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
If "Go gently caress Ourselves" isn't the new thread title I'll be pretty disappointed

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
This show tries soooooo hard to be deep and intelligent. But its just televisions version of a kid playing dress up with his dads suits.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
I think the show might be just a smidgen more bearable if just one character wasn't a complete shithead to everybody else.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
How the guys in white stole christmas

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?
Don't really know what to make of the whole nativity scene storyline, but good episode otherwise.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I feel like that was a huge drop down to episode 2 quality after a benchmark episode 3.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Two steps forward, one step back. Underwhelming episode.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

as soon as they get Liv Tyler to shut up and smoke I'll be happy

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
I think episode 3 was only good because it followed a single character that was actually interesting and not a complete dickhead and even relate-able in some ways.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Eukodol posted:

I think the show might be just a smidgen more bearable if just one character wasn't a complete shithead to everybody else.

I like the Prius Twins and Matt and Sheriff Kevin. They are way overdue for making the GR more relatable though because I hate those guys. Also the Wayne/Tommy story line is super crap but at least it had the best imagery of the night: the life size reproductions of people's loved ones to bury.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Mildly interesting. Opening montage was the strongest bit only to lead to a really dumb plotline.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
You'd think if they were going to cast people who's only role would be to smoke, wear white, and not speak they'd get people who could get really expressive with their face muscles rather then tons of people who stare stonily at everyone and occasionally scrawl their idiotic thoughts onto paper.

I think my biggest problem with this show is that despite the Not-Rapture being a world wide event the show acts like the rest of the world doesn't matter. Do the GR have cults in other countries? Are they a world-wide thing, or is it just a few dozen assholes in this one town determined to poo poo all over anyone trying to go on with their lives? It's a really petty thing but for all the "the world will never be the same" its the same bunch of assholes causing problems to the same group of people every loving episode.

And, finally, hahahaha holy poo poo. After this being a member of the GR would be like painting a target on your head. Breaking into everyone's homes and stealing their treasured photos? Yeah, at least 1/5 of the people who lost someone would just up and murder a white wearing rear end in a top hat. Plus pretty much every single one of them committed a litany of serious crimes, so at some point they can just declare them a "terrorist organization" and gently caress their world up. If Linedolf is going for some deep psychological True Detective thing he's really botched it.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 21, 2014

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Guy A. Person posted:

I like the Prius Twins and Matt and Sheriff Kevin. They are way overdue for making the GR more relatable though because I hate those guys. Also the Wayne/Tommy story line is super crap but at least it had the best imagery of the night: the life size reproductions of people's loved ones to bury.

Obviously you're not supposed to like the GR at all, that's been straight up said by Lindelof and Perotta in multiple interviews. I'm pretty sure everyone's negative reaction to their existence in the show is exactly what they intended, for better or for worse.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Slackerish posted:

Obviously you're not supposed to like the GR at all, that's been straight up said by Lindelof and Perotta in multiple interviews. I'm pretty sure everyone's negative reaction to their existence in the show is exactly what they intended, for better or for worse.

Are you supposed to like anyone on this show?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Wait, so were the corpses real dead people that other people bought or manufactured fake dead people (which would tie it into the beginning montage)?

catpowerd
Jan 9, 2008

swinging your guitar around
Cause they wanted to hear that meow

Tomahawk posted:

Wait, so were the corpses real dead people that other people bought or manufactured fake dead people (which would tie it into the beginning montage)?

Manufactured. They were basically Real Dolls but for mourning.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

catpowerd posted:

Manufactured. They were basically Real Dolls but for mourning.

Who says they can't be for both?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

pentyne posted:

Do the GR have cults in other countries? Are they a world-wide thing, or is it just a few dozen assholes in this one town determined to poo poo all over anyone trying to go on with their lives?
Umm if you watched tonight's episode, it appeared that there was a chapter in wherever the hell Tommy was, which is somewhere warm enough to not have snow (and not even seem that cold) on Christmas

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Umm if you watched tonight's episode, it appeared that there was a chapter in wherever the hell Tommy was, which is somewhere warm enough to not have snow (and not even seem that cold) on Christmas

Texas! :eng101:

catpowerd
Jan 9, 2008

swinging your guitar around
Cause they wanted to hear that meow

Eukodol posted:

Who says they can't be for both?

I'm calling the police.

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013
I appreciate that this show has brief glimpses of dong, but would prefer they be utilized in a more sexy context.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Slackerish posted:

I just wish that someone, in-universe, would challenge the GR on how full of poo poo they are. I mean, they have no more information on the nature or the significance of the departure than anyone else, no specific doctrinal or dogmatic foundation on which they're formulating their beliefs and indeed, no clearly articulated ethos beyond, "Hey, I guess we should send our legions of douchey, chain-smoking mutes to collectively participate in a campaign of civil douchebaggery that might best be described as Project Mayhem's mildly retarded cousin".

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Leb posted:

I just wish that someone, in-universe, would challenge the GR on how full of poo poo they are. I mean, they have no more information on the nature or the significance of the departure than anyone else, no specific doctrinal or dogmatic foundation on which they're formulating their beliefs and indeed, no clearly articulated ethos beyond, "Hey, I guess we should send our legions of douchey, chain-smoking mutes to collectively participate in a campaign of civil douchebaggery that might best be described as Project Mayhem's mildly retarded cousin".
Aside from the douchebaggery, I think my major problem with the GR is that I'm failing to understand why it is that a group that apparently embraces nihilism gives a poo poo about other people doing the same.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's easy to not like the GR, but not based off of the merits of the story. It's the talking for me, I just think the concept is really stupid. If they're writing everything down on paper it's pointless, I would have targeted their rule be something like they can't talk to outsiders but are free to talk to each other.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ersatz posted:

Aside from the douchebaggery, I think my major problem with the GR is that I'm failing to understand why it is that a group that apparently embraces nihilism gives a poo poo about other people doing the same.

Are they meant to be nihilists? They seem, just absolutely destructive and a-cultural. They bought Eccleston's church just so they could cover it with white paint. They broke into people's (their own?) homes, just so they could destroy people's sentimental objects.

It's like they're trying to Rapture themselves out of the world, destroying anything that tethers them to the culture and replacing it with a noticeable absence, much like the people who were taken are now defined largely by their own absences, rather than what they actually did with their lives.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The GR just come across as pathetic trolls, and they really don't make for good TV. The smug smiles from the GR leader versus wide-eyed stares from the sheriff are annoying, every scene with them is annoying, Liv Tyler's lisp is annoying, this show is 50% annoying which is a shame because I think it has a lot of potential.

I'm enjoying the sheriffs gradual transformation into Dog Man. Now he's driving his truck!

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
I'm done with this show. Episode 3 was pretty good but overall it's underwhelming blue balls of a show. I don't care if they never answer where the people went, I'm not waiting for those answers but what the gently caress is just going on. No headway is happening. I love a good mystery, I love a good character piece but after breaking bad and true detective, this show is just so behind the curve. I have felt every minute of the last four episodes, it's glacial. This is a ten episode season and 40% of it has done nothing but peak into the lives of very unlikable characters aimlessly traversing through this world with the promise that something special will happen.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The GR remind me a lot of the Goth kids from South Park. They don't care so much that they devote their entire waking lives to letting others know how much they don't care while pulling drags from their cigarettes.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Professor Shark posted:

The GR remind me a lot of the Goth kids from South Park. They don't care so much that they devote their entire waking lives to letting others know how much they don't care while pulling drags from their cigarettes.

Yes, this exactly. Apparently The Leftovers book has more of a dark comedy tone going for it, and from that perspective I can see where it would be more successful at what it's trying to do. But you can't expect me to take these cultists seriously.

I might keep going with this for shits and giggles to see where it's going. But the potential shown in the 3rd episode went out the window in the 4th.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 21, 2014

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I hope everyone who stops watching this show keeps me updated on things like what day they stopped watching it, what episode forced them to stop and what storyline caused them to quit.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

IMB posted:

I hope everyone who stops watching this show keeps me updated on things like what day they stopped watching it, what episode forced them to stop and what storyline caused them to quit.

Yeah, LOST really hosed up a lot of people.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
No way that the population went that batshit retarded as shown in that series. Sure, TV requires some overdramatization, but this one's an inch beyond it. A large inch. And those GR people, no way that these annoying nuisances wouldn't be at the receiving end of beatdowns every day.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

No way that the population went that batshit retarded as shown in that series. Sure, TV requires some overdramatization, but this one's an inch beyond it. A large inch.

Curious what exactly is 'batshit retarded'. Cults popping up, people acting erratically seems pretty plausible to me after an event like that. The unrapture would be the single craziest thing to happen in the history of the planet.

Combat Pretzel posted:

And those GR people, no way that these annoying nuisances wouldn't be at the receiving end of beatdowns every day.

It seems like they are rolling this into more and more of the episodes. They showed the rock throwing, the tamato sauce(?) being thrown at them, and the GR people in Texas had bandages on.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah this episode was pretty underwhelming. I don't have much faith left for this show but somebody earlier was wondering if the GR was local to the New York town where most of the show has been set so far. This episode at least showed that they are not when two GR members hand Tom a pamphlet at the bus station in another state (presumably Texas).

Not much else happened from a plot perspective other than the GR committing a ton of crimes at the end and a bit more vague mystery was haphazardly tossed in regarding the crazed German-speaker's dream about white bodies then their bus coming across that very scene later in the episode. The one interesting character development/moment was Kevin's wife trying to retrieve the gifted lighter. This shows that she doesn't actually believe there is no more family.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 21, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Dave posted:

It seems like they are rolling this into more and more of the episodes. They showed the rock throwing, the tamato sauce(?) being thrown at them, and the GR people in Texas had bandages on.

After the mass breaking $ entering and theft of emotionally significant photos smug face lady will be dealing with near constant assaults on her members and a police force not terribly concerned with stopping them. So, I don't really see what their plan/endgame is because after this incident the blowback will likely destroy the cult.

Maybe if Linedof was serious about the show being "all about the characters" he'd stop teasing all this mysterious stuff going on and write character driven stories.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
One thing that really bothered me was how unsympathetic every character in the Tom/Hugging Cult is. Why would we give a poo poo/root/care about what happens to any one of them if they haven't presented us with a single reason to?

Like maybe at first Tom is a good guy and he's in love with this chick so we want him to escape and get the girl, but now she's clearly crazy, he's clearly crazy, and bad stuff happening to them is more justified than them "succeeding" (whatever that is)? I don't get it.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Horrible episode. Show is mostly about people bumbling about, not doing much.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Combat Pretzel posted:

No way that the population went that batshit retarded as shown in that series. Sure, TV requires some overdramatization, but this one's an inch beyond it. A large inch. And those GR people, no way that these annoying nuisances wouldn't be at the receiving end of beatdowns every day.

I think were about to witness the beatdowns.

Notice how the GR in Texas were pretty badly wounded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

Are they meant to be nihilists?
Well, their big message seems to be that nothing has meaning, therefore everyone everywhere should just give up at everything and become clinically depressed. I'm not sure if that fits the definition, but it certainly has a nihilistic flavor (although the "therefore" part still seems contradictory to me).

At any rate, I think that Professor Shark nailed it.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 21, 2014

• Locked thread