Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cat Terrist posted:

I just prefer the "Discs are loving awesome, drums are loving pieces of poo poo to be avoided at all costs" explanation.
Come round my house and try bleeding through series 3 109 front brakes. You think you hate drums now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

opengl128 posted:

I adopted this little dude on Thursday. He is awesome.

For a second the last pic confused me because I thought he had upside down paws! But, I realize he is just all twisted around. :3:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Come round my house and try bleeding through series 3 109 front brakes. You think you hate drums now...

The brakes on a 101 are worse to bleed. Like a 109, but there's also a weight controlled valve in the line to the back in addition to the shuttle valve in the front.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

The brakes on a 101 are worse to bleed. Like a 109, but there's also a weight controlled valve in the line to the back in addition to the shuttle valve in the front.
...and a nice, almost-unique axle setup that makes doing a disc swap a complete pain in the balls. You have my sympathy. :suicide:

bend
Dec 31, 2012

I usually take this as an opportunity to send our cat completely stupid. A couple of gentle pokes in the ribs sends the dopey bugger bouncing all over the place looking for her tormentor.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
KITTY!!!

InitialDave posted:

Try rebuilding the internal drums on a Subaru. Oh believe me, that's hatred right there.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Oh god drat it. I almost died today while driving a friends car, with him in the passenger seat. I took him out for a test drive after repairing a leaking turbo oil line and guess what happened? The line failed, spraying oil all over the nice hot turbo. What failed to burn off coated the ground. This created a self-lubricating road slick and nearly put me into the barrier going over a small bridge, twice. I swear I made him poo poo his pants as I corrected three times in a row. The car came to a slow stop, died, and smoke bellowed from under the hood. I stupidly cracked the hood, introducing more oxygen and POOF, flames engulfed the turbo. The foam filter was melted away, along with the turbo blanket and underhood blanket. From somewhere in the car, my friend retrieved a fire extinguisher and put out what he could. By this time two cars stopped, called the FD, and then drove off after saying, "Sorry, we don't have any water" - this seemed strange at the time. I managed to rip the underhood blanket off the car while it was still on fire, stomp it out, and grab the extinguisher. I put out the filter, turbo blanket, and instructed him to disconnect the trunk mounted battery. The FD showed up five minutes later. Both of us were just blankly staring at the country side, the 500ft trail of oil behind us, and the smoking engine bay. The chief took one look, laughed, asked if we had help coming and drove away. His friends were waiting at my shop and showed up shortly after the FD. Ten minutes later, a tow strap, and we were back at the shop, soaking the engine bay with degreaser and removing the melted parts. Amazingly, all it needs a new air filter, oil line, and underhood blanket (well, and some oil). I thought I was hosed. My friend was amazing about the entire thing and I'm still here, hours later, wondering how the gently caress I saved us on the bridge.

Pictures soon in my Home for lost Rotaries thread. I'm going to go pour myself a drink.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's nearly 4am and I'm up with a lovely virus my wife gave me. I mean it's not her fault but my alarm goes off in an hour and a half and I'm almost feeling good enough to go into work but I know that's a nasty thing to do to my coworkers but I can't afford time off but I also don't want to pass on a virus to anyone who may be vulnerable.

I remember something who worked with my wife years back her husband was just home from transplant surgery and she unwittingly brought something home from work and put him back in the hospital for three months. I don't want to be that guy.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I bought a Art

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Does the Civic qualify or Uber or are they sticklers for 4 doors?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

Aye, small, light, relatively low-powered cheap cars are where it's at for sheer fun on the road. Mainly chasing cars you have absolutely no business trying to keep up with, smoking into roundabouts way too fast, aimed at the kerb and using the understeer to drift you on the right line out the other side, ditch-hooking left-hand turns on country lanes and scraping up the front wing with the hedge because you don't give a poo poo...

And yet never managing to break the speed limit.

Yeah, I love this. I slid my crapcan around like 3 rotaries in a row tonight on my way home from Ozmiander's place and the locals had no idea what to think. I might have been doing 5 over the limit... not sure. 500lbs of cargo and a completely wasted swaybar endlink isn't conducive to good handling :haw:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh I'm dumb and left the dome light on in my Mazda. I hadn't driven it for a week so it completely killed the battery. drat it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Cakefool posted:

I remember something who worked with my wife years back her husband was just home from transplant surgery and she unwittingly brought something home from work and put him back in the hospital for three months. I don't want to be that guy.
Yeah if at all possible don't be that guy, no one likes that guy. My drat coworkers continue to come into work while sick despite being able to work from home most days. At least now they email the group and say they are sick so I can work from home.

Wooo breakfast then head to the airport for 17.5 hours of travel time :suicide:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So, a few days ago I swapped my hard drive into a new(er) computer, which involved an OS reinstall because for some reason it didn't like the new hardware and got caught in a boot loop. Whatever, done it before, no big deal.

So just now I'm typing up a lab report for my chem class. 2 hours of work, finished about a half hour ago, hadn't saved. Literally as I'm going to print, the screen locks up, then I see Chrome crash in the background, before every window closes and the computer shuts itself down.

Turns out it decided that 3:37 AM while the computer is in use is a loving dandy time to install, not just an update, but a loving Windows 7 service pack. With no warning, no popup, no option to delay it, just "gently caress ALL YOUR poo poo AND EVERYTHING YOU'RE WORKING ON, I'M GONNA PLAY WITH MYSELF FOR THE NEXT HALF HOUR."

Luckily I was able to recover the document intact, but I spent the whole time flipping out not knowing if it would or not, so I'm pissed anyway.

COMPUTERS

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

the spyder posted:

"Sorry, we don't have any water" - this seemed strange at the time.

Did they forget the water or something?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Do I buy this?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...us/15?logcode=p

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I was going to say no, it's a 10 valve, but for £350 bag it.
E: that's 12 miles away from me, where are you?

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 21, 2014

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Cakefool posted:

I was going to say no, it's a 10 valve, but for £350 bag it.
E: that's 12 miles away from me, where are you?

I am 12 miles from that car! Pewsey in wiltshire but I suspect that link says it's 12 miles from everyone.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

thegasman2000 posted:

I am 12 miles from that car! Pewsey in wiltshire but I suspect that link says it's 12 miles from everyone.

Yup, I think your postcode is in the URL if you care about that sort of thing.

Edit: sounds like it has 12 months MOT. Can't really go wrong with any roadworthy, MOT'd car for that kind of money in my mind.

stump fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 21, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Whoops yeah, 99 miles from me. The economy will be poor but you'll get 12 months use out of that car easily. I miss my v70s

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What's with you gents using miles? Come on, you've been on the metric system for how many years? :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fucknag posted:

So just now I'm typing up a lab report for my chem class. 2 hours of work, finished about a half hour ago, hadn't saved. Literally as I'm going to print, the screen locks up, then I see Chrome crash in the background, before every window closes and the computer shuts itself down.

loving save. Always loving save. I remember learning that lesson from a bomb dialogue on my old Mac LC running ClarisWorks.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

kastein posted:

What's with you gents using miles? Come on, you've been on the metric system for how many years? :v:

Honestly I've gotten so used to the nonsense unit miles/litre my head would explode if we bothered switching to km.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

kastein posted:

We like to mix it up depending on what it is.

Small measurements are in mm, cm and m
Larger ones are in miles

People are measured in feet and inches

Drinks like cola or orange juice come in metric measurements but milk and beer come in pints

Road speeds are in mph

If you go to a market place you can use imperial and metric when asking for weights of things. In supermarkets/regular shops they come in metric quantities

People's weight are measured in stone

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Jesus, that's nearly as evil a unit as metric horsepower.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

loving save. Always loving save. I remember learning that lesson from a bomb dialogue on my old Mac LC running ClarisWorks.

Like Al Capone said... save early, save often.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Just got the 106 moted... Failed in ceased brake cylinder on the rear. Tested was awesome and let me walk around and watch the whole test. One spot of rust on one sill, probably for poor jacking procedure... Exhaust back box crack and other than that it's in good shape.

It seems the Volvo has a mot fail... So it's a know quantity.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Man I love working at hospitals. So many hot rear end nurses too look at. Too bad they don't really enjoy small talk with filthy sweaty construction workers.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Fucknag posted:

So, a few days ago I swapped my hard drive into a new(er) computer, which involved an OS reinstall because for some reason it didn't like the new hardware and got caught in a boot loop. Whatever, done it before, no big deal.

Turns out it decided that 3:37 AM while the computer is in use is a loving dandy time to install, not just an update, but a loving Windows 7 service pack. With no warning, no popup, no option to delay it, just "gently caress ALL YOUR poo poo AND EVERYTHING YOU'RE WORKING ON, I'M GONNA PLAY WITH MYSELF FOR THE NEXT HALF HOUR."

Luckily I was able to recover the document intact, but I spent the whole time flipping out not knowing if it would or not, so I'm pissed anyway.

COMPUTERS

Ever since I lost a huge, important document to corruption I have my dropbox and Spideroak accounts set to automatically back up my documents folder and I've set the autosave on Word to something like every 5 minutes or something. I don't trust the software for a loving second.

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968

freelop posted:

We like to mix it up depending on what it is.

Small measurements are in mm, cm and m
Larger ones are in miles

People are measured in feet and inches

Drinks like cola or orange juice come in metric measurements but milk and beer come in pints

Road speeds are in mph

If you go to a market place you can use imperial and metric when asking for weights of things. In supermarkets/regular shops they come in metric quantities

People's weight are measured in stone

Unless you work on the roads or rails, where we still use chains (66ft)

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I got into the inside wireman apprenticeship. On one hand there is way more union electrical work than union telecom work here. On the other hand I'd have to take a $12/hr pay cut and go to school for another 5 years. I almost have all my work hours to take my Class D tests though. And I know I'd like working more with fiber optics and LV cabling than electrical work.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Man I love working at hospitals. So many hot rear end nurses too look at. Too bad they don't really enjoy small talk with filthy sweaty construction workers.

Nurses are the best :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Who throws themself a going away party when they're only moving 2 hours away?

A huge oval office, that's who.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Working with fiber optic cables is pretty straight forward. Make sure you terminate the ends properly and don't kink the cable.

Though, I can see why it'd be a difficult thing to do for a nonzero number of electricians out there. :saddowns:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Rhyno posted:

Who throws themself a going away party when they're only moving 2 hours away?

A huge oval office, that's who.

You didn't mention that you were getting out of Indiana, rhyno. You also didn't send me an invite.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Phone posted:

Working with fiber optic cables is pretty straight forward. Make sure you terminate the ends properly and don't kink the cable.

Though, I can see why it'd be a difficult thing to do for a nonzero number of electricians out there. :saddowns:

Excuse me while I spend the next 30 minutes polishing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Geirskogul posted:

Excuse me while I spend the next 30 minutes polishing.

Something about how I have a cable that transmits data at a high rate of speed that needs its end polished. :dong:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Fucknag posted:

COMPUTERS

Yeah, had that happen to me the first time I was using Win 7. The defaults for the windows 7+ update manager are set to "gently caress YOU rear end in a top hat" out of the box; now I change that poo poo as the first order of business on a new install because gently caress having the computer shut down without asking first.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Lol. Easier said than done. When you have to pull the fiber cable hundreds of feet (not just plug in 10ft patch cords like you IT guys), terminate it in a dirty construction environment, and then test it and if it passes we can save the results. Luckily our shop has a fusion splicer now so we buy the FIS Cheetah connectors. You can get any type of connector with a pigtail on it and splice it. My JW and I can splice about twice as much in a day now instead of polishing.

The options for me now are to either get my Class D once I have all my work hours logged and do voice/data/video, fiber, and security systems (which is what I wanna do) or go back to school for another 5 years and get my ticket.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 21, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 218 days!)

loving stupid 13mm cheese metal oil plug. :sweden: t:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kastein posted:

I just plain refuse to use or to pretend to understand anything not metric when some idiot speaks on moon units here.... only 45 years after the conversion to metric.

• Locked thread