Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
fyi if you haven't downloaded it yet (or if you have?) that we have released a v2 pursuant to a few technical issues and a big snafu about interpreting an ~Overlord intrigue foreshadowing~ line. We apologize deeply for the inconvenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Caphi posted:

fyi if you haven't downloaded it yet (or if you have?) that we have released a v2 pursuant to a few technical issues and a big snafu about interpreting an ~Overlord intrigue foreshadowing~ line. We apologize deeply for the inconvenience.
If it was supposed to be an intentional reference to the snake in the Garden of Eden, it was successful.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Urobuchi seriously knows how to tantalize us with comeuppence.

quote:

"I try to keep an even hand with my characters, but whenever I come up with one, I try to keep one thing in common with myself, so I have a hook into them. So far I haven't come up with any characters that are completely foreign from myself."

From an interview with him. I wonder what he's got in common with Micchy...

V-Men fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 21, 2014

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

V-Men posted:

Gen Urobuchi enjoys killing people, Micchy enjoys killing people...

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

V-Men posted:

When it comes right down to it, aren't we all secretly convinced that the world can be saved if everyone would just do whatever we say without question and that anyone with any other ideas is either evil, stupid, or insane, deep down?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

V-Men posted:

He killed his brother.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

V-Men posted:

He hears voices in his head about his lack of adequacy?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Considering we're probably in the last ten episodes and with things going how they are, its been a while since Helheim Mai showed up. Although if Micchy is taking her there then hopefully we'll learn about her. And just who/what Sagara is.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fooley posted:

Considering we're probably in the last ten episodes and with things going how they are, its been a while since Helheim Mai showed up. Although if Micchy is taking her there then hopefully we'll learn about her. And just who/what Sagara is.

Y'know I was just thinking that it was weird that we hadn't seen NotMai in a while. Also, is all the Rider War horseback stuff just from the Gaim movies? Or is some of that supposed to show up here in the series proper?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I'm surprised we haven't been hearing more about the next series.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, isn't Gaim supposed to be shorter than the last few?

About 38: I thought Micchy's actor did a great job selling his craziness, both the freakouts at Takatora and the calm insanity when he kidnapped Mai. I also just realized that Micchy is looking more like Takatora now. Early on, he had his own look, but now he's wearing suits and his hair is longer and styled the same way Takatora's is styled.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, isn't Gaim supposed to be shorter than the last few?

About 38: I thought Micchy's actor did a great job selling his craziness, both the freakouts at Takatora and the calm insanity when he kidnapped Mai. I also just realized that Micchy is looking more like Takatora now. Early on, he had his own look, but now he's wearing suits and his hair is longer and styled the same way Takatora's is styled.
You'd almost feel sorry for the guy, if he wasn't such a little poo poo.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

You'd almost feel sorry for the guy, if he wasn't such a little poo poo.

Feel sorry for him? gently caress that, I want to see how far down this rabbit hole goes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Some Numbers posted:

Feel sorry for him? gently caress that, I want to see how far down this rabbit hole goes.

Every episode he seems to fall deeper and deeper. By this point I'm pretty sure he's only limited by the amount of episodes left, and maybe the next Movie War.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yeah the whole thing about needing the full four for like, later movies and poo poo still leaves me wondering if Takatora's really dead. Like we didn't see a body or anything still, and like all signs point to like, fuckin' dead. But...

That merch, you know?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Rei_ posted:

Yeah the whole thing about needing the full four for like, later movies and poo poo still leaves me wondering if Takatora's really dead. Like we didn't see a body or anything still, and like all signs point to like, fuckin' dead. But...

That merch, you know?

The full four what? Energy Riders?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Some Numbers posted:

The full four what? Energy Riders?

Main riders. Gaim, Baron, Ryugen, and Zangetsu.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Well, considering Ryugen is now Zangetsu, even if Takatora's still around...

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The Ryugen spot is open, in that case.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

The heroes had their little victories in the beginning and mid part of the season, but this is getting George RR Martin in how much the heroes are being punished.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

V-Men posted:

The heroes had their little victories in the beginning and mid part of the season, but this is getting George RR Martin in how much the heroes are being punished.
The only real question yet is whether Kouta will fail to save his sister, or whether he will save her, but at the cost of something else incredibly dear to him (like having to kill Micchy).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

The only real question yet is whether Kouta will fail to save his sister, or whether he will save her, but at the cost of something else incredibly dear to him (like having to kill Micchy).

Man, what a hard choice. Do I kill my batshit crazy friend in order to save my sister, save my other good friend and save my entire city?

I mean, my batshit crazy friend did try to kill me half a dozen times, but he's such a good friend!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I went back and looked through some of the early posts on Gaim both in this thread and the toku one and its interesting to see the expectations of plots and themes based on the first couple of episodes versus where we've ended up. There's been no armies of invess lead by opposing Rider armies, no parallel worlds or time travel. Though, I suppose since we're not done yet there might still be time. The Other Mai still has no explanation yet, but at this point I'm not holding my breath for anything super exciting.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Man, what a hard choice. Do I kill my batshit crazy friend in order to save my sister, save my other good friend and save my entire city?

I mean, my batshit crazy friend did try to kill me half a dozen times, but he's such a good friend!
No, see, that's how a sane person thinks. Kouta is not a sane person, he is an anime protagonist. Just one who happens to be in a live action show.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Potsticker posted:

I went back and looked through some of the early posts on Gaim both in this thread and the toku one and its interesting to see the expectations of plots and themes based on the first couple of episodes versus where we've ended up. There's been no armies of invess lead by opposing Rider armies, no parallel worlds or time travel. Though, I suppose since we're not done yet there might still be time. The Other Mai still has no explanation yet, but at this point I'm not holding my breath for anything super exciting.

I'm honestly surprised more people haven't died yet. Gaim is very dark (as I expected, what with it being a rider war and all), but I did expect more deaths than just Hase, Sid, and (probably) Takatora.

I guess the show's not over yet. Still plenty of time for everyone to die.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

No, see, that's how a sane person thinks. Kouta is not a sane person, he is an anime protagonist. Just one who happens to be in a live action show.

Actually, if you take the irony and sarcasm out of that post, that's exactly what Kouta will be thinking in a couple of episodes.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 22, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

I'm honestly surprised more people haven't died yet. Gaim is very dark (as I expected, what with it being a rider war and all), but I did expect more deaths than just Hase, Sid, and (probably) Takatora.

I guess the show's not over yet. Still plenty of time for everyone to die.

There wasn't even a real war. Like, Kaito started to build up a dancer army, but that was thrown out as soon as the energy riders showed up, and they mostly were minor harassers for Kouta. Oren was a soldier, but he mostly worked for Yggdrasil as well. Really the closest we've gotten is the Invess invasion proper, but by then all the Riders have been on the same side, excepting Micchy, Sid and Warren Statesman who died on the way to home planet, and now is back for bizcaz friday. It's like we were told there was going to be a Rider War, but the show never really gave us one.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Potsticker posted:

There wasn't even a real war. Like, Kaito started to build up a dancer army, but that was thrown out as soon as the energy riders showed up, and they mostly were minor harassers for Kouta. Oren was a soldier, but he mostly worked for Yggdrasil as well. Really the closest we've gotten is the Invess invasion proper, but by then all the Riders have been on the same side, excepting Micchy, Sid and Warren Statesman who died on the way to home planet, and now is back for bizcaz friday. It's like we were told there was going to be a Rider War, but the show never really gave us one.

You're right, but on the other hand the conflict is almost entirely rider vs rider, and has been for the entire show. Things are starting to consolidate more against the Overlords, now, but there's still Micchy and - as episode 38 reminded us - Ryoma as major threats. Hell, Micchy is basically the primary focus right now, even if the endgame antagonists are going to be Redue and Roshuo.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Reflecting on it, I have to say- Gransazer still did this better than Gaim ever managed.

The first 12 episodes are better paced and better realized than most of Gaim's Rider VS Rider stuff.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Burkion posted:

Reflecting on it, I have to say- Gransazer still did this better than Gaim ever managed.

The first 12 episodes are better paced and better realized than most of Gaim's Rider VS Rider stuff.

Gaim has had some good episodes, but most of the early episodes are really terrible and so far Urobuchi hasn't given us anything that really stands above anything Rider hasn't already done. It'll be interesting to see in Drive if the two episode arcs return. Hopefully we get the return of good monster suits, since even Gaim has started to get those with the Overlords.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Parallel worlds has come up but via the movie (and the movie tie-in).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This may change by the ending, but I think my two biggest issues with Gaim are:

A) There wasn't really any consistency or internal logic to Micchy's actions for like the first thirty episodes. He's firmly planted his feet at what kind of villain he is, but before he was for sure going to be one, he was kind of all over the place.

B) With so many subplots getting picked up then suddenly dropped without warning for 10+ episodes, I'm really getting the feeling that this was a plot for a 13 or 26 episode series instead stretched out into a full-year 48.

Still leaps and bounds above Wizard, though.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Micchy has always slowly been overlapping lie over lie but yeah, at some point it goes from sort of petty childishness to full blown supervillain. He seems to graduate up the ladder of instability every time Kouta gets stronger.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Helheim Mai's reaction when she confronted Micchy was hilarious, though.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

This may change by the ending, but I think my two biggest issues with Gaim are:

A) There wasn't really any consistency or internal logic to Micchy's actions for like the first thirty episodes. He's firmly planted his feet at what kind of villain he is, but before he was for sure going to be one, he was kind of all over the place.

B) With so many subplots getting picked up then suddenly dropped without warning for 10+ episodes, I'm really getting the feeling that this was a plot for a 13 or 26 episode series instead stretched out into a full-year 48.

Still leaps and bounds above Wizard, though.

The biggest indicator is watching the first movie where Micchy and Takatora interact a bunch, but neither recognize each other like maybe brothers who are keeping the fact that they turn into Kamen Riders secret from each other maybe should.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Mitsy is quite consistent. He wants social stasis; he wants people to stay in the roles he sees them in because he believes this is the correct state of affairs. At the beginning, he thought they'd simply stay there by default if he didn't give them any reasons to do otherwise; this is why he became Ryugen, to empower himself to keep his fellow Beat Riders from worrying about anything but being his dance buddies.

As the situation changed, they slipped out of his fingers simply by having their own goals and opinions; he felt he needed more and more power and to be more and more active to actively keep them in their places, eventually manufacturing threats to keep them in line, moving against Kouta because he has a different view of what's good for them, and even sabotaging Mai's other goals to keep her helpless, culminating with his alliance with Redue which enables him to make everyone in the world to do what he wants by threat of force (which he promptly uses on Mai - and he believes all that horseshit he fed her).

But moving back to the main point, he actually parallels Kouta's advancement very precisely, in a wonderfully dark way. Kouta only wants enough power to keep people around him from suffering (legitimately, not the way Mitsy did). Every time he advances a phase, it's because Sagara has forced him to reluctantly accept power he doesn't want to address problems that are slipping out of everyone else's control.

The other difference is that Kouta is incorruptible, so each new power actually stresses him out, whereas Mitsy has fallen off the deep end and is reveling in his own perceived messiah-ism.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That's the weirdest way to romanize ミッチ, I have to admit.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

I just assumed he shortened "Mitsuzane"

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Oh, that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That actually makes more sense than either "Micchy" or "Mitchy."