Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uh, what?

Jinora is 11 years old. Aang had his tattoos by the time he was 12, and while Aang was the Avatar, Jinora's already mastered Airbending on a level that seems to at least be on part with what her dad did.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
To be fair, Jinora probably is as good at airbending as Tenzin since Tenzin doesn't seem to be that good.

I will say that I'm getting a little antsy about them putting Jinora in danger so Kai can rescue her all the time.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

As for the acupuncture being bogus stuff. Eh, in the Avatar world there actually does seem to be chi that's the cause of bending and stuff so just accept it as something that works within the confines of this fictional setting.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

dj_clawson posted:

- Look, Diko, I know you love your Asian stuff, but even the Chinese knew that acupuncture was bullshit. They wrote tractates debunking it a thousand years ago. Mao sold it to the West because he saw it as a source of revenue after China was opened to foreign investment.

Uh but, like, this was a show where magic is real, ideas like qi are known to be meaningful within the setting, and also the guy was just metalbending those suckers right into Lin.

In a setting where chi-blocking can take people's magic superpowers away it's not really a huge leap to accept that acupuncture does some stuff.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Listen Rowling, I know you love your Celtic crap but I have it on good authority that putting animal parts in wooden sticks doesn't actually imbue it with mystical potential!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Jinora's good at airbending and exceptional with spirits but I don't think she's actually better or equal to Tenzin; at the very least the area of effect of Tenzin's moves seems on a much larger scale, so I think there's a point there.

Also to echo Superstring, Chi is a thing that actually exists in the setting so of course a lot of Asian mysticism is going to be thrown in and is 'real'.

Edit: Beaten.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Superstring posted:

As for the acupuncture being bogus stuff. Eh, in the Avatar world there actually does seem to be chi that's the cause of bending and stuff so just accept it as something that works within the confines of this fictional setting.

That's true. I'll give the show that.

As to the other comments, Tenzin has shown himself to be a good bender in combat situations (unless the plot requires him to be defeated so Korra can rescue him, which happened a bunch in season 1, but there is a reason he remained the one council member un-captured by Amon) but he's Korra's teacher, so the show's not really about showing him bending all the time. Until now it's been focused on Korra and her friends doing it. It wouldn't be good if he solved all of her problems in the first two seasons. He's just, you know, a lovely leader and he lacks a connection with the spirit world. The pre-War airbending masters were lovely leaders in that they hosed up with Aang. People who concern themselves with meditating, bending mastery, spiritual learning, etc can make bad decisions like everyone else.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

I will say that I'm getting a little antsy about them putting Jinora in danger so Kai can rescue her all the time.

Well Jinora has saved Kai from prison, then from a mother air bison. And it was Tenzin and Oogi who stopped the truck carrying Jinora, Kai only mostly helped.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Also, Jinora's connection with the spirit world is the only reason they were saved at all.

All Kai did was know how to pick a lock.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Jinora needs to be acknowledged as an expert Airbender and the only Spiritual master the Air Nation has. Whether or not she's a master in terms of bending prowess is irrelevant because she's a master of the spiritual aspect and Tenzin is not.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 21, 2014

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Rincewind posted:

Also, Jinora's connection with the spirit world is the only reason they were saved at all.

All Kai did was know how to pick a lock.

Spirit Lassie was the low point of the episode imo, and further serves to illustrate how weird it is that Jinora has this random connection to the spirits.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you want to be a real :spergin: about things you can see there's different levels of airbending "mastery" because a complete novice was able to avoid the net gun because his head was shaved while Jinora, despite a huge skill difference, was caught completely unaware, even if she wasn't expecting to be attacked at all. Honestly I just want to see a shaved head on a 11 year old and have it be treated as a step up because that would be both adorable and awesome.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Jinora gets to show off her passive nurturing spirit powers a lot but Kai's the one who gets to beat people up when she's in danger, despite the fact that she's the near-master while he's been trained for like a week. She gets helplessly grappled by the Dai Li, despite being the one person in the room who should be able to avoid that most easily, so that Kai can show off his violence. Both of them are put in the same cages by the poachers this week and, yes, both of them contribute to their escape, but Jinora's the one who ends up being the literal damsel carted off by outlaws while the menfolk cowboys chase her down.

Also keeping in mind that she spent half of the last season in a spirit coma -- despite being the actual spirit guide -- waiting for others to come to her rescue.

It's not that big a deal and maybe the whole point is that Jinora's just not so good at action scenes, but it does make me antsy. I don't think any other character's been depicted the way she is in the show so far, and so her treatment stands out.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

BrianWilly posted:

Jinora gets to show off her passive nurturing spirit powers a lot but Kai's the one who gets to beat people up when she's in danger, despite the fact that she's the near-master while he's been trained for like a week. She gets helplessly grappled by the Dai Li, despite being the one person in the room who should be able to avoid that most easily, so that Kai can show off his violence. Both of them are put in the same cages by the poachers this week and, yes, both of them contribute to their escape, but Jinora's the one who ends up being the literal damsel carted off by outlaws while the menfolk cowboys chase her down.

Also keeping in mind that she spent half of the last season in a spirit coma -- despite being the actual spirit guide -- waiting for others to come to her rescue.

It's not that big a deal and maybe the whole point is that Jinora's just not so good at action scenes, but it does make me antsy. I don't think any other character's been depicted the way she is in the show so far, and so her treatment stands out.

The issue with her character is that it seemed to be building to something before being turned into a Mcguffin. Now she's kept on for worldbuilding.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Let's go Jinora and Tenzin vs Zaheer!!! Mako and Bolin vs earth bender fire dude!!

i dunno what other team ups can work after that

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I hope Korra wins by chi-blocking them Amon style.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Rewatching this past week's episodes, and Bolin is so cute the way he's all dejected about not being able to metalbend. :3:

Here's a thought for metalbending training: would it be possible to make blocks that are like 50% iron and 50% slag to show rookies how to bend metal? Then over time use blocks that have higher metal content and less slag. As the block becomes purer metal it becomes closer to "true" metalbending.

Basically you'd get a gradient between earthbending and metalbending so earthbenders can train their way up in slow stages.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ShadowCatboy posted:

Rewatching this past week's episodes, and Bolin is so cute the way he's all dejected about not being able to metalbend. :3:

Here's a thought for metalbending training: would it be possible to make blocks that are like 50% iron and 50% slag to show rookies how to bend metal? Then over time use blocks that have higher metal content and less slag. As the block becomes purer metal it becomes closer to "true" metalbending.

Basically you'd get a gradient between earthbending and metalbending so earthbenders can train their way up in slow stages.

That is what they're doing in this episode. They said the metal is specifically designed to be easier to bend.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

That is what they're doing in this episode. They said the metal is specifically designed to be easier to bend.

That's because it's magic meteor metal though, not because it's a graded system.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I have to hand it to LoK for showing that a lot of kids know exactly where to hit their parents where it hurts when arguing. Jinora's burn about being a better spiritual master than Tenzin will ever be is a laser-focused precision strike on Tenzin's biggest insecurity, and notice that he basically gives up on the argument right then and there.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

I hope Korra wins by chi-blocking them Amon style.

I hope Amon shows up again.

as a charred husk that uses psychic bloodbending to move

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I do think it's funny that half the principal cast of this kids show is comprised of middle-aged fuckups. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

dj_clawson posted:

- Look, Diko, I know you love your Asian stuff, but even the Chinese knew that acupuncture was bullshit. They wrote tractates debunking it a thousand years ago. Mao sold it to the West because he saw it as a source of revenue after China was opened to foreign investment.

Really? My actual Chinese friend and his family believe in it pretty hard. They're hoping it'll cure his cancer (though that could just be because nothing else will :smith:).

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

I do think it's funny that half the principal cast of this kids show is comprised of middle-aged fuckups. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Not only is that impressive for a kids show, that's impressive for any show. There's an abundance of major characters in Korra that simply don't fit the typical Hollywood lead archetype. Kya, Bumi, and Lin are all childless and at least 60, and all are presumably never married. What other shows acknowledge people like that exist and still function in society?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Nichael posted:

Kya, Bumi, and Lin are all childless and at least 60, and all are presumably never married. What other shows acknowledge people like that exist and still function in society?
To say nothing of the show acknowledging that some people can have relationships without wanting to get married or have children, whaaaaaat

Also the show's recurring message that "good person" doesn't necessarily equal "good parent".

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It is interesting how they use the older generation to play with expectations. In AtLA, all the old masters had already gone through their development long before the series even began, and didn't need to have any major revelations (except Paku I guess, but he got over his misogyny in a single episode anyway). Contrast this with Tenzin, who had an entire season's B plot devoted to his character growth. This portrayal threw me off at first, but now I like the way Korra handles this better than Avatar. Just because you're past the age of 60 doesn't mean you've dealt with all your issues, and it makes them all much more human.

And yeah, I like the realistic parenting angle. It makes sense that between avatar duties and trying to bring Tenzin up to speed on all of air bending and air nomad culture, Aang didn't have a lot of time for the rest of his family. It makes sense that Toph would give her children the freedom she never had at their age, and slowly watch as it backfires and tears her family apart.

Though it's subtle, they certainly managed to pack a lot more adult themes and ideas into what Nick still considers a children's show, which is impressive indeed.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Nichael posted:

Not only is that impressive for a kids show, that's impressive for any show. There's an abundance of major characters in Korra that simply don't fit the typical Hollywood lead archetype. Kya, Bumi, and Lin are all childless and at least 60, and all are presumably never married. What other shows acknowledge people like that exist and still function in society?

Kya wears an engagement choker, so there are some hints there.

ImpAtom posted:

Uh, what?

Jinora is 11 years old. Aang had his tattoos by the time he was 12, and while Aang was the Avatar, Jinora's already mastered Airbending on a level that seems to at least be on part with what her dad did.

Pretty sure she is 13, pushing 14 now. She was 11 at the start of book 1, which took place over several months (Korra turns up as summer ends, middle if the season there is snow on the ground, end of it there is snow around but not much of it in the city so it is pushing spring), 6 months between book 1 & 2, book 2 takes place over a few months (though we don't get the visual cues because we are at the poles for most of it) and there are 2 weeks between 2 & 3, but between episodes in 3 it is mentioned "weeks of training". We are probably looking at 18-24 months so far. Which also fits with stuff like Meelo no longer losing teeth

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Spergatory posted:

Really? My actual Chinese friend and his family believe in it pretty hard. They're hoping it'll cure his cancer (though that could just be because nothing else will :smith:).

The placebo effect is very powerful, and cancer sometimes goes into random remission, so keep up hope! I'm not being sarcastic. It's been studied and it really happens.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Kya wears an engagement choker, so there are some hints there.
Katara wore an engagement choker for the entire AtLA series and wasn't engaged, it was just her mother's. I'm guessing Kya wears it for the same reason.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Oracle posted:

Katara wore an engagement choker for the entire AtLA series and wasn't engaged, it was just her mother's. I'm guessing Kya wears it for the same reason.

But Kya's mother is Katara, who still wears her same choker from AtLA...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

But Kya's mother is Katara, who still wears her same choker from AtLA...

Is it the same choker, though? Because I don't know if you recall, but she did end up getting married to someone...

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Oracle posted:

It was her grandmother's and she didn't know the tradition, she just wore it to honor them. Katara still has the old one, and since it isn't an air nomad or southern tribe thing I wouldn't expect aang made her one. And if he had Katara passing that on but keeping the original is kinda odd

Darth Walrus posted:

Is it the same choker, though? Because I don't know if you recall, but she did end up getting married to someone...

Chokers are a northern water tribe tradition, not a southern one. katara wore it without knowing its meaning until Paku explained it.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 21, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

It has the same design on it.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Fried Chicken posted:

Chokers are a northern water tribe tradition, not a southern one. katara wore it without knowing its meaning until Paku explained it.

And Kya is a southerner (well, half-southerner) so she might just be wearing hers as an ornament as well.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So since this is speculation based off of episode title spoilers:

Anyone worried that a main character is going to be killed off in the last episode, based off of the title? I feel like Tenzin is going to be eating it when its all said and done. It would go along with the whole theme of change that the season has been hammering in.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I doubt it. At most, it'll be kind of ambiguous.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Rincewind posted:

And Kya is a southerner (well, half-southerner) so she might just be wearing hers as an ornament as well.

Ok, but where did she get it? They aren't off the shelf, they guy carves it himself.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Fried Chicken posted:

Ok, but where did she get it? They aren't off the shelf, they guy carves it himself.

The world's changed, man! Maybe they are just off the shelf!

(I'm sure it isn't but it'd be pretty funny if it were just some store-bought knick-knack)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Given what happened in the southern water tribe with the crass commercialization of the spirit festival in S2, I can totally see mass-produced commercialized engagement pendants being A Thing fashion-wise (probably mimicking Katara. Kya of course wears it ironically).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Well we learned in the fog of lost souls that Kya's greatest fear is being tied down and losing her freedom, so its entirely possible that she was married / going to be married, but backed out of it. As for why she still wears it, there are a plethora of reasons that could be the case.

Hell, maybe it's Gran Gran's and Katara passed it on to Kya. :v: Basically speculating on the topic is pointless because the show has given us zero information about it.

• Locked thread