Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shokugeki-no-Soma/Ch-076--Duel-Etiquette?id=201281

Well, let's get this thing started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Is Mimasaka's strategy just to make the same dish but better? Or watch what Takumi does and make his dish contrast it? Either way I'm interested to see what's coming.

Can't really tell what they're going to make though, those are some pretty basic ingredients.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

VibrantPareidolia posted:

Is Mimasaka's strategy just to make the same dish but better? Or watch what Takumi does and make his dish contrast it? Either way I'm interested to see what's coming.

Can't really tell what they're going to make though, those are some pretty basic ingredients.

First thing that jumped to mind was Meyer Lemon Meringue Pie when I saw the ingredients but it could also be that I haven't had it in a while.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Well this certainly keeps things interesting.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Furious Lobster posted:

First thing that jumped to mind was Meyer Lemon Meringue Pie when I saw the ingredients but it could also be that I haven't had it in a while.

A Meringue is also the first thing I thought of too, but then Wheat flower, eggs, cream, sugar and lemon seems pretty broad, even within the scope of Italian cuisine.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Ethiser posted:

Are you people trying to tell me that Doritos Locos Tacos aren't a Mexican import?

A Doritos Locos Taco is actually about as close to an food engineering construct as it gets--Nakiri Alice would be proud.

http://www.fastcompany.com/3008346/deep-inside-taco-bells-doritos-locos-taco

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shokugeki-no-Soma/Ch-077--Pursuer?id=201964

Really been looking forward to see this go down.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Those are some fantastic Junji Ito faces.

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011
A musclebound stalker specializing in copying and improving on his victims' cooking recipes... No matter what, that man gets points for originality. However, the Bureau Director's spiffy suit completely overshadowed the drama this time. Verdict: Fun chapter but needs more Megumi.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I am consistently blown away by the art of this manga. The facial expressions, Junji Ito or otherwise,[ are top notch.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I like how Takumi is popular with girls because of his cool face and sometimes acting like a cool hot-blooded chef, but he's actually a really big dork.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Chapter 78 - top notch expressions in this chapter.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Looks like he'll be able to pull off the comeback.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Oh my god the reaction for that dish

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sonata Mused posted:

Looks like he'll be able to pull off the comeback.

I dunno, it looks like it could go either way. The story is building up to him losing, and a last minute change could get him the win, but it is a last minute change, against a guy who's much better prepared. In a straight up fighting manga, I'd bet on Takumi, but a cooking manga where it comes down to the judges deciding on who made the best dish?

I have a feeling we're not gonna see a repeat of the pattern we've seen in the last two rounds, where the dish served first loses.

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011
One of the best reactions yet. I'd love to see that animated.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh god. Gee, what can someone make with oil, eggs and lemons? That extra layer is some kind of mayonnaise. That's an abomination against the very idea of desserts.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Who knows, cream cheese frosting works for some desserts like carrot cake and yes, even mayo works for some desserts like cakes to make it more moist. It's not completely out there, but for Takumi's dessert we'll have to see what he did with that olive oil.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Oh god. Gee, what can someone make with oil, eggs and lemons? That extra layer is some kind of mayonnaise. That's an abomination against the very idea of desserts.

Lies. The idea of a dessert is a sweet dish. Said dish can easily have savory elements in it so long as it goes well together (Ex: Rock salt and chocolate). Certain schools of dessert making may frown on certain ingredients or certain techniques or certain styles of dishes, but at the end of the day, for a dessert, anything goes as long as its sweet.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Chapter 79; I know you so well I predicted what you'd come up with in your moment of trouble :what:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Man, I bet people thought Megumi would be the one that Soma would try and "avenge," but she actually lost her match with grace and still gained more confidence out of it if nothing else. Although the way Takumi is getting thrashed is kinda dumb, but I gotta give props to the artist for drawing a villain in a cooking manga to look so insidious.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Furious Lobster posted:

Chapter 79; I know you so well I predicted what you'd come up with in your moment of trouble :what:

If he's stalking him, it would be pretty silly for him to not notice Takumi carries a bottle of olive oil everywhere. And yeah, there's only so much you can do with that.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Dang, this guys is ridiculous. Still trying to figure out what his laugh is supposed to sound like.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

BlitzBlast posted:

If he's stalking him, it would be pretty silly for him to not notice Takumi carries a bottle of olive oil everywhere. And yeah, there's only so much you can do with that.

Sure but it's reaching Joker levels of prediction: I know what'll you do after you do X --> Y --> Z to the point of stretching even my manga/film limits of disbelief. Also Takumi could have used the olive oil in the batter to form the base - there's more ways to use it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Agh, the substitution threw me off. I even make lemon curd a couple times a year, but I didn't see that coming at all.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Furious Lobster posted:

Sure but it's reaching Joker levels of prediction: I know what'll you do after you do X --> Y --> Z to the point of stretching even my manga/film limits of disbelief.

Not really. All he did was guess that Takumi was gonna use his extra ingredients to do something with lemons, he didn't know what Takumi was gonna do, just the ingredients he'd have left to do it with... so he prepared his dish with a dash of lemon everywhere, just in case. He also took the time to balance the lemon flavour with the natural sweetness of the cake, which led to a better tasting dish. I've seen much crazier "just as planned" scenarios than what we have here, this one is downright believable.

Also, that last image... H. R. Giger much :stare:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah that's stuff of nightmares at the end. He sure can draw drat well

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
On first read, I thought that he had added something to his cake that made Takumi's taste bad in comparison. The candied lemons is kinda dumb - how did no one notice it before?

Crampy Grampaw fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 21, 2014

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Not really. All he did was guess that Takumi was gonna use his extra ingredients to do something with lemons, he didn't know what Takumi was gonna do, just the ingredients he'd have left to do it with... so he prepared his dish with a dash of lemon everywhere, just in case. He also took the time to balance the lemon flavour with the natural sweetness of the cake, which led to a better tasting dish. I've seen much crazier "just as planned" scenarios than what we have here, this one is downright believable.

Also, that last image... H. R. Giger much :stare:

You're missing the point: the lemon was already included in the list of planned ingredients but the extra one was olive oil; it didn't matter if he had put lemon everywhere since that was already going to be in the dish anyways, it's a little too far-fetched to predict he would have made the curd rather than use it in the batter, which is far more likely.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i'm personally not sure why guessing that he'd resort to a lemon curd is just like so trying to your suspension of disbelief, moreso than him guessing the exact dish he was planning on preparing out of like an infinite amount of dishes he could have selected in the first place

within the expectations that sets up, it would be more surprising if he didnt guess everything he'd exactly do down to like the location of sweatbeads on his forehead

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Law Cheetah posted:

i'm personally not sure why guessing that he'd resort to a lemon curd is just like so trying to your suspension of disbelief, moreso than him guessing the exact dish he was planning on preparing out of like an infinite amount of dishes he could have selected in the first place

within the expectations that sets up, it would be more surprising if he didnt guess everything he'd exactly do down to like the location of sweatbeads on his forehead

I guess I just find it a little more plausible for this crazy stalker to be able to guess the dish that Aldini would make based on his encyclopedic knowledge of Aldini based on his life experiences in the restaurant; after all, a lot of Souma's dishes are variations of ones that he made while cooking with his Dad. However, being so confident in what desperation move Aldini would make with his dish when pushed against the wall seems just a little too much in my opinion :shrug: .

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

He made it a point that he gets into the mindset of whoever he's stalking. :shrug:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My guess is that he'll be defeated by the protagonist either:

1) Doing a weird-rear end mix that no one sane could have predicted.
2) Making him believe that he'll do something else than what he's going to do.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Furious Lobster posted:

You're missing the point: the lemon was already included in the list of planned ingredients but the extra one was olive oil; it didn't matter if he had put lemon everywhere since that was already going to be in the dish anyways, it's a little too far-fetched to predict he would have made the curd rather than use it in the batter, which is far more likely.

Why would you use it in the batter? It's way harder to remove that olive aftertaste (though I question how he removed it from the curd) and it's very hard to screw with that exact portions of a baked good without screwing it up. At least he could mask the olive aftertaste with a ton of sugar and flavoring. Doing that in batter would screw up all the other proportions.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

My guess is that he'll be defeated by the protagonist either:

1) Doing a weird-rear end mix that no one sane could have predicted.
2) Making him believe that he'll do something else than what he's going to do.

He stalks Soma and Soma just gives no fucks and gets into it relatively unprepared because he spent his time trying out weird stuff again which makes the opponent think he is going with it thus leading to the opponent presenting the peanut butter squid or sth. similiarily disgusting and get laughed out of the arena in humiliation.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Soylentbits posted:

Why would you use it in the batter? It's way harder to remove that olive aftertaste (though I question how he removed it from the curd) and it's very hard to screw with that exact portions of a baked good without screwing it up. At least he could mask the olive aftertaste with a ton of sugar and flavoring. Doing that in batter would screw up all the other proportions.

There are plenty of reasons to use it in the batter - has a different flavor that would complement the lemon, is healthier, makes the overall feeling of the cake base a lot lighter, etc. Also, one could use the olive oil in the semifreddo itself not to mention that usage of olive oil v. butter in deserts is rather common in Italy. There are conversion charts for butter v. olive oil, so it'd be relatively easy to do so without screwing up. There are a ton of options that Aldini could have gone with that's why I still believe that it was far easier for Subaru to predict the dish rather than what direction Aldini would have gone with in his moment of desperation.

As an aside, if you want to make Subaru's Preserved Lemon Semifreddo or Aldini's never-seen-before :rolleyes: lemon curd, enjoy!

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Furious Lobster posted:

There are plenty of reasons to use it in the batter - has a different flavor that would complement the lemon, is healthier, makes the overall feeling of the cake base a lot lighter, etc. Also, one could use the olive oil in the semifreddo itself not to mention that usage of olive oil v. butter in deserts is rather common in Italy. There are conversion charts for butter v. olive oil, so it'd be relatively easy to do so without screwing up. There are a ton of options that Aldini could have gone with that's why I still believe that it was far easier for Subaru to predict the dish rather than what direction Aldini would have gone with in his moment of desperation.

As an aside, if you want to make Subaru's Preserved Lemon Semifreddo or Aldini's never-seen-before :rolleyes: lemon curd, enjoy!

That's legitimately fascinating.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Furious Lobster posted:

It wasn't never-seen-before, just unexpected. They said it was common in England and even showed a jar of it.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Begemot posted:

It wasn't never-seen-before, just unexpected. They said it was common in England and even showed a jar of it.

Apparently this is a mis-translation then but I believe they called it as such because it was made with olive oil whereas traditional English lemon curd appears to be made with butter. The point is more that this manga makes mountains out of molehills with the over-the-top language and descriptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Furious Lobster posted:

Apparently this is a mis-translation then but I believe they called it as such because it was made with olive oil whereas traditional English lemon curd appears to be made with butter. The point is more that this manga makes mountains out of molehills with the over-the-top language and descriptions.

If they didn't do that it wouldn't be a) a manga or b) interesting.