Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Dude, I wasn't talking poo poo about the weight, I was implying that I curl in a squat rack.

And 5/3/1 owns. You're going to get strong.

Also, most cf gyms do offer free classes usually on weekends, which usually are dialed down from most advanced movements. Make sure to play out being in the military for a discount too. Or move to the Midwest where you can get a member ship for like 50 bucks a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

elite_garbage_man posted:

Dude, I wasn't talking poo poo about the weight, I was implying that I curl in a squat rack.

Pretty funny either way. I'm just so used to guys zinging each other in GiP that I just assumed you were screwing with me. I got a good laugh out of it.

quote:

And 5/3/1 owns. You're going to get strong.

Yeah I'm excited about it. I've never done any kind of periodization with my lifting, pretty much just linear progression and when things started stalling I'd scale my lifting back for a while and work on other fitness stuff. It'll be cool to see how far I can push it especially at my advanced age. :corsair:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

vulturesrow posted:

It'll be cool to see how far I can push it especially at my advanced age. :corsair:

Pretty sure you can buy this on bulk from bodybuilding.com.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Ashmole posted:

Depends on your MOS really. As a tanker, running is just a time waster...weights (and donuts) are more beneficial to us due to having to carry rounds, move stuff onto the tank, and having to pull people out of it.

Yeah, this exactly.

Tank and APC crews are gonna be moving roadwheels, breaking tracks, and lifting tow bars and main gun rounds and poo poo, so lifting is critical for them.

For SF dudes, they do a lot of walking, and a lot of rucking, and a lot of trying to avoid getting shot at if at all possible, and if they do it's because they just blew in the door and sprayed the room with machine guns.

Kinda more cardio-centric, I think.

Pilots can just gently caress off and jerk each other off between bombing runs.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Squats after two months of nothing but bodyweight exercises = DOMS like a mofo today.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
eat stretch sleep

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

eat stretch sleep

Sleep is actually probably the toughest one for me. I could definitely improve in that area.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
just did this bs tonight

100 4 count flutter kicks
75 pushups
40 strict pullups
75 pushups

Even if you're a high first class pfter, this will ruin you.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

just did this bs tonight

75 pushups
40 strict pullups
75 pushups

Even if you're a high first class pfter, this will ruin you.

i dont have a pullup bar and the gym is closed but this sounds p fun

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Get your deads in boys. My last set was a bit of a disaster.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Pilotsfake pilots are weak

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

vulturesrow posted:

Get your deads in boys. My last set was a bit of a disaster.

Alright how chalked is that bar or is it not chalked at all?

~*~old man joke~*~

CUTE BARBIE DOLL WEIGHTS, GRAMPS

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Screw you guys I'm going home. :argh:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

vulturesrow posted:

Screw you guys I'm going home. :argh:

I'm just giving you poo poo. I hope to be actively deadlifting when I'm in nearly 50 years old just like you.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Maybe we can all start posting pictures of the weights we are lifting and post it here like it's loving face book or something.

Just kidding the only reason I don't do it is because I get so goddamn sweaty in my garage I would ruin my phone by even touching it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Maybe we can all start posting pictures of the weights we are lifting and post it here like it's loving face book or something.

Just kidding the only reason I don't do it is because I get so goddamn sweaty in my garage I would ruin my phone by even touching it.

This post reminded me to buy some wrist straps. On an related note, I've now bought (and lost) three pairs of wrist straps.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Pull up bar at the gym is lovely and I fail weighted pull ups because of grip strength before anything. Thinking about trying straps for those

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Man who farted in your sandwich?!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Haha some idiot almost got trapped underneath a 255lb barbell while benching it.

That idiot was me. Salvaged that rep. :smugdog:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what do you guys do to help yourself maintain a consistent pace when running? That's my big problem. I can run for a long time without passing out like a fatty, but I'll do wierd poo poo like run 2:00-2:15 for most of my PFT laps and then there will be #4 lap that was like 2:50 or some poo poo.

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

Switch brain off for a consistent pace or run to drum and bass. You'll never get equally consistent times but deviations should be pretty low.

Alternatively, after changing from set distances to interval running it hasn't been a problem even with noticing people/trees/nice cars/whatever. If you lift and aren't some kind of super cut broguy trying to maximise gains I'd suggest giving HIIT a go.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Click Beelay posted:

Switch brain off for a consistent pace or run to drum and bass. You'll never get equally consistent times but deviations should be pretty low.

Alternatively, after changing from set distances to interval running it hasn't been a problem even with noticing people/trees/nice cars/whatever. If you lift and aren't some kind of super cut broguy trying to maximise gains I'd suggest giving HIIT a go.

thats actually what i do already for cardio. idk i think i'm just worried about my pt test; my last two mock tests weren't great so i need to be about 20 seconds faster than my last mock test time. i feel like if i just focus hard or w.e i should be fine. im gay.

i'm not a fattie by any means and i enjoy running, but apparently running 1.5 miles within 13 1/2 minutes is some kind of Herculean feat for me

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Larry Parrish posted:

So what do you guys do to help yourself maintain a consistent pace when running? That's my big problem. I can run for a long time without passing out like a fatty, but I'll do wierd poo poo like run 2:00-2:15 for most of my PFT laps and then there will be #4 lap that was like 2:50 or some poo poo.

I had a watch with a lap timer on it that I'd use for PT tests. If I was going for 12 minutes, or 2 minutes a lap, I'd glance at the timer every quarter lap and see how close to 30 seconds I was. It makes it a lot easier to keep a consistent pace and not go too slow (or fast, which was my problem).

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
What helped me get consistent was interval training. I picked a target pace of 6 min/mile, then ran a ton of short distances at this speed and rested as long as it took me to complete the interval, usually 200m-400m in length, and maybe once I week I would do 800m or a mile. Every once in a while I'd leave the stop watch and ipod at home just so I could break that mental barrier and not rely on those while running and try to maintain that running style by how it felt.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Larry Parrish posted:

i'm not a fattie by any means and i enjoy running, but apparently running 1.5 miles within 13 1/2 minutes is some kind of Herculean feat for me

I have some bad news for you..

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Some people are just lovely runners. I'm a generally fit guy and a mile and a half under 13.5 minutes is not automatic for me. Then again I just never run. Ever.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
I'm just fat :getin:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Running is the loving worst.

What helped me get consistent was interval training. I picked a target pace of 6 min/mile, then ran a ton of short distances at this speed and rested as long as it took me to complete the interval, usually 200m-400m in length, and maybe once I week I would do 800m or a mile. Every once in a while I'd leave the stop watch and ipod at home just so I could break that mental barrier and not rely on those while running and try to maintain that running style by how it felt.

This is good advice, seriously. There are podcasts or mp3 files or whatever you can download to your Zune (if you're dumb enough to enlist now there's no way you're smart enough enough to have an ipod/iphone) where it's basically just a drum and bass or rave session with a voice telling you to run or jog. Interval running is basically the best way to improve your time if you're already running.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whip Slagcheek posted:

im a sprinter ok, im really bad at distance running + i hate it + i pace myself way too hard for the first few laps and always end up loving myself up

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Lol sup vulturesrow?!

Actually this was very difficult today. 6x3x180kg

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Farts is gonna e-yell at you for posting pics. :D

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Last I checked it was a free country, Farts!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

And that deadlift is pretty good. I could maybe do 1x3 at that weight. I definitely wouldn't be doing 6 sets of it, at least not right now. Taking two months off kinda sucked because of the backslide but I know from experience I should be able to ramp back up fairly quickly. My real achilles heel is bench. I have long orangutan arms without the orangutan strength. Makes pullups really lovely for me as well.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Thanks. It was pretty tough. I've been pulling left under/right over for years now and the torsion constantly makes me feel like I'm about to pull my left hamstring or something on the right side of my lower back.

Pulled 454 for a single about 4 weeks ago so that was cool. Getting to 500 is still a long way out.

Bench is tough for me. I can rep in the mid 200s but anything over 265 is a crap shoot. I rarely go beyond that though because I bench solo. Never have anyone spot for me.

bloops fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 21, 2014

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

holocaust bloopers posted:

Bench is tough for me. I can rep in the mid 200s but anything over 265 is a crap shoot. I rarely go beyond that though because I bench solo. Never have anyone spot for me.

Lifting by yourself kind of sucks. Its nice to be able to do whatever you want but then there is always that 'what if i drop the bar on my neck?' thought.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Lifting by yourself kind of sucks. Its nice to be able to do whatever you want but then there is always that 'what if i drop the bar on my neck?' thought.

That's why I like benching in the cages. Just set the straps high enough, and you're safe.

I'm going to miss my campus gym because of that. We have like 8-10 cages, so there's never that annoying wait for the one squat rack like in most gyms. And the undergrads in yoga pants. Totally going to miss that too.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Vasudus posted:

It's called going to Iraq and doing dismounted patrols for 8 hours, in 120-130 degree heat, with 70-90 pounds of equipment on your chest. Or it's doing mountain ops in Afghanistan for 10 hours.

Speaking of ops like this, how people are advised to train in order to achieve this kind of fitness? just curious.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

It can be a real pain, yea. Like I posted earlier, I almost got stuck under a 255lb barbell last week. If I let up for even a moment that bar would've dropped on my chest. Close calls like that rarely happen, thankfully.

pkells posted:

That's why I like benching in the cages. Just set the straps high enough, and you're safe.

I'm going to miss my campus gym because of that. We have like 8-10 cages, so there's never that annoying wait for the one squat rack like in most gyms. And the undergrads in yoga pants. Totally going to miss that too.

The safety bars are always a touch too high above the chest, which makes getting into a proper wind-up impossible. I make sure every rep hits my chest and stays there for a beat before finishing the rep. Can't really do that in a cage.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Its mostly nice to have someone to hold the bar while doing negatives or force you to go to the gym.

I've maxed solo before but only when doing a conservative weight. I figure that, worst case, I'll just dump the weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I pretty much wont ever go to the gym alone because I am a lazy shameful man. The few times I have gone alone I wont bench because I know the one time I try that alone the random stranger I asked to spot will be too busy staring at some girl while I strangle (under a shamefully small amount of weight).