Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Heners_UK posted:

What exactly is so important that management would want someone to drive through a raging firestorm to get people back online?

A location is down, thats all they see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

sfwarlock posted:

A meta ticket came in from the IT manager:

Departments X, Y, and Z feel that IT/Helpdesk is unresponsive. They have given examples of tickets that IT ignored until they resubmitted the ticket 2-3 times. Dept will meet at 5pm (it's Friday, gently caress you) to discover the root cause and work out a corrective/disciplinary plan.

The root cause is easy: we're four days behind in tickets because staff has doubled in the last year and IT has halved. Give me two or three more techs and start managing user expectations, especially for God's sake hammer it in to them that they don't have to 'resubmit' tickets, that just clogs up the system even more when your original ticket makes it to the top of the list, gets taken care of, and then someone else gets your resubmit and gets confused.

(end rant, begin drinking)

EDIT: Oh, and if they "discipline" any of my team for there not being enough of us, they can expect to be even more understaffed.

You and I have the opposite problem. My users will do everything they possibly can to not put in tickets. They'll call everyone on the team, email, overhead page, come down to the office personally, but they will not take the 10 minutes to file a ticket. They don't seem to get that we can technically blow them off and duck them all day if we choose, but once there's a ticket we are obligated (and happy) to help them.

This gets absurd when manager send passive aggressive or full on aggressive emails with C-suite and our own executive (by accident with him allegedly :allears:) that we somehow didn't help them for 4 months while a critical piece of equipment was "down". Even though I personally was in that department and spoke to that user in those 4 months without anybody mentioning that she was completely unable to work or something.

Luckily we could prove the manager was bullshitting and the C-suite/executive didn't even care about her petulant whining and tattling. That one is infamous on our team for doing poo poo like that and everyone has a story about her.

Are they provided with a ticket number? Maybe it could be suggested that they try to follow up with the tickets they already have instead of making more? Do you have just a web form/email system or is there an actual phone desk?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

skooma512 posted:

You and I have the opposite problem. My users will do everything they possibly can to not put in tickets. They'll call everyone on the team, email, overhead page, come down to the office personally, but they will not take the 10 minutes to file a ticket. They don't seem to get that we can technically blow them off and duck them all day if we choose, but once there's a ticket we are obligated (and happy) to help them.

My users walk to my office to see me. I'd rather they didn't, but even that aside, it's not a good use of their time, because I'm rarely there. They are allergic to the phone and to email. This week I came back to my desk to see that someone had left me a hand-written post-it.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
It went better than it could've, but not great.

I pointed out the staffing situation, and he agreed, but he said there were also communication, prioritization, and transparency issues.

So now we have a rotating "ticket wrangler" role who's tasked with watching the incoming queue, knocking out the five-minute-fixes, escalating the emergencies, and communicating things like "there are 42 tickets in line in front of yours, all of which are at least as severe and have been waiting longer."

(This used to be the team lead's responsibility, but unfortunately the team lead is the best tech, so he's often putting out fires and is way too busy to organize the tickets.)

In addition, everyone is keeping a ticket log so when someone asks why IT is so backed up, we can show the tickets closed per day vs the tickets raised.

The manager is going to communicate all this out to the organization and in addition try to get us more people.

EDIT: Oh, and we get plenty of walk-ups, chats, pull-overs, everything. Those are even more painful because there's no paper trail, so when the user says "I told him two weeks ago that my computer is slow and he's done NOTHING!" it's our word against theirs. I tried to get managerial support to make it policy that "If there's no ticket, there's no trouble. Even if your computer is completely broken, unless the entire site is down, you can borrow your neighbor's computer for five minutes to send an email." but he thinks that's not warm-and-fuzzy enough.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 19, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

sfwarlock posted:

I pointed out the staffing situation, and he agreed, but he said there were also communication, prioritization, and transparency issues.

Three guesses as to which categories the company is going to focus 100% of their effort on.

quote:

EDIT: Oh, and we get plenty of walk-ups, chats, pull-overs, everything. Those are even more painful because there's no paper trail, so when the user says "I told him two weeks ago that my computer is slow and he's done NOTHING!" it's our word against theirs. I tried to get managerial support to make it policy that "If there's no ticket, there's no trouble. Even if your computer is completely broken, unless the entire site is down, you can borrow your neighbor's computer for five minutes to send an email." but he thinks that's not warm-and-fuzzy enough.

This is called being "Guest-Oriented" or "Customer-Oriented" (internal employees count as customers for this purpose). It's the ultimate blank check for managers too lazy or too spineless to enforce a policy when it affects other departments. Can't look bad in front of the other managers!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Get a comp set up in front of the IT desk area for people to put in tickets if their comp is down. Any walk-ins, ask them to enter a ticket really fast just so you guys can log it. Explain that YOU entering tickets reduces the number of issues you can fix in a day, which means their issue gets resolved later than it would have otherwise, and the tickets are needed so you can prove staffing level needs to executives, which also reduces wait-time for issues getting resolved.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Another way to sell ticketing is to explain how it helps track problems.

You know how you guys are calling once or twice a week because system X is down? I'd really like to upgrade that server.

You know how many tickets we have for that server? Three.

In accounting they've got a server that needs to be rebooted once a month. It's got twelve tickets.

If we have money to upgrade only one of the servers, I have to explain why we are going to ignore accounting's server and upgrade yours. Help me out.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
In two weeks my office is going to be moving locations. It's going to be a huge clusterfuck and I am so excited to watch everything burn around me.

My department has no affiliation with corporate IT. They keep our E-Mail working and handle equipment orders, but everything else is up to us to handle*. This was fine when it was a 10 person team, but now we're up to 24 and growing, hence the change in location. The move is going to be me packing my own computer up into a box, probably putting it my own car when it turns out management has no plan on how to actually move equipment, setting it up at the new location, and praying that everything works. There is no contingency plan if something goes wrong, and previous experience with this company tells me that something will go wrong.

Here's the real kicker though, management has decided that we should reimage all computers with one standard image. The people in charge of doing this have no experience with IT and are just hobbyists at best. I admit I don't know jack poo poo on how deployment works on a corporate scale, but at least I know that I don't know. These guy's plan is to set one computer up as they want it, make a standard image of it, and reimage everything one at a time with that one standard image. What I do know is that we don't have a volume licence for Office/Windows 7 so I don't expect this to go cleanly.

There's no domain, and the image has 24 separate local admin accounts, one for each person. They already started rolling the image out, and it turns out it's missing the hosts file, which tells me nobody even bothered testing it. I can't wait to see what else is wrong with it.

I would like to buy every single person in this thread a beer, because I have shell shock looking at how this place operates without the help of IT, instead managed by a room full of people who know just enough to be dangerous.

*I don't know the full story of why we're not under IT, but the gist of it is that the NOC needed to add stuff to the Network that IT wanted nothing to do with, so someone got approvals to say "Fine, we'll make our own Network. But better."

Renegret fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 20, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Renegret posted:

so someone got approvals to say "Fine, we'll make our own Network. But better."

With hookers! And blackjack!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

sfwarlock posted:

I tried to get managerial support to make it policy that "If there's no ticket, there's no trouble. Even if your computer is completely broken, unless the entire site is down, you can borrow your neighbor's computer for five minutes to send an email." but he thinks that's not warm-and-fuzzy enough.

Our policy used to be to fix whatever even without a ticket. But because people are poo poo, this was abused so badly that at one point we had less than 50 tickets for a client of 20000+ employees.

So a 'no ticket no problem' policy was put in. Miraculously, the number of complaints about how we knew about a problem for weeks but did nothing about it dropped to near zero. The phrase "What's your ticket number?" is apparently a magic spell that makes work go away.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's eye-opening the amount of people who decide their issue isn't important if it requires spending 5 minutes submitting a ticket with the relevant details filled in. These are the same issues that if they could be mentioned in the hallway in passing would be a :supaburn: the world is on fire :supaburn: type problem.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Mattavist posted:

Are you new to this thread?

Humm, I see my error now. I should have said, what has management said This time that's so important people should drive through a raging firestorm.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

sfwarlock posted:

Tying in with this, if someone has a major PC issue, they can pick up the phone and call - we've communicated this policy to plenty of our clients, basically stating that yes, if it's a serious emergency, you need to call the help desk and/or your main engineer to notify them. I can't tell you how many times we've had someone send an email in about a serious emergency, then call and get super pissed because we didn't respond right away. Seriously, if it's a major issue, pick up the drat phone and CALL.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Ozz81 posted:

Tying in with this, if someone has a major PC issue, they can pick up the phone and call - we've communicated this policy to plenty of our clients, basically stating that yes, if it's a serious emergency, you need to call the help desk and/or your main engineer to notify them. I can't tell you how many times we've had someone send an email in about a serious emergency, then call and get super pissed because we didn't respond right away. Seriously, if it's a major issue, pick up the drat phone and CALL.

The only problems that qualify as "emergencies" are those which prevent users from creating tickets by themselves. Then, and only then, is it acceptable to bypass the ticket system. Set the precedent that you'll help them without a ticket, and you'll be lucky to get a ticket ever again.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Renegret posted:

There's no domain, and the image has 24 separate local admin accounts, one for each person.

Hahahaha 100% guarantee that you can take ownership of everyone else's files on every single machine

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

guppy posted:

My users walk to my office to see me. I'd rather they didn't, but even that aside, it's not a good use of their time, because I'm rarely there. They are allergic to the phone and to email. This week I came back to my desk to see that someone had left me a hand-written post-it.

In my last job I used to deal with all the tickets and users generally wouldn't log things until I made them, my boss was happy enough with my "no ticket, no problem" mentality

I liked walking around site because I got a feel for what was happening but obviously I was rarely at the end of a phone

The one time it backfired was when a user went to my office and logged her ticket on my whiteboard erasing all my notes in the process!

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

angry armadillo posted:

The one time it backfired was when a user went to my office and logged her ticket on my whiteboard erasing all my notes in the process!

.. and you promptly reported to their supervisor that they literally came into your office and sabotaged your work area, right?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

angry armadillo posted:

I hope this user was relegated to a Compaq 486 with a bigfoot harddrive.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

"User complains that i have superglued tiny humping dog USB toys into every available port. Unplugged wireless mouse dongle, replace with humping corgi. Ticket can be closed"

Seriously gently caress that, submit a ticket using your phone email

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

I'd feel pretty smug if I don't have to deal with flatheads, they are such a pain and I've never found a single reason to use them over any other screwhead.

They exist to prevent using power tools where it would cause damage, and to require a careful touch. Also they are usually flat to the surface or countersunk. Some people call them slotted. Some things just aren't meant to be used with a power drill.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

lampey posted:

Some things just aren't meant to be used with a power drill.

That sounds like a challenge.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

lampey posted:

Some things just aren't meant to be used with a power drill.

Why I don't get then is why you can get combination slotted/hex head screws.

v That too. Philips heads were designed specifically to limit torque, not necessarily to be easy to drive. Robinson heads are superior when it comes to ease of driving.

corgski fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 21, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

lampey posted:

They exist to prevent using power tools where it would cause damage, and to require a careful touch. Also they are usually flat to the surface or countersunk. Some people call them slotted. Some things just aren't meant to be used with a power drill.

What in the backwards world hell do we live in that slotted screw heads get used to limit torque instead of the heads designed to limit torque? BTW, I use slotted on my power drill all the time, like someone said, as long as you use the right bit you'll drive it perfectly fine.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Renegret posted:

There's no domain, and the image has 24 separate local admin accounts, one for each person.

Oh boy! Whomever is deploying this is a GENIUS! I'd lay money that the master "image" isn't even sys-prepped for extra comedy.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

LordVorbis posted:

Oh boy! Whomever is deploying this is a GENIUS! I'd lay money that the master "image" isn't even sys-prepped for extra comedy.

It has the wrong version of our ticketing system installed, the wrong hosts file, the wrong version of Java, no antivirus, and the network drive isn't mapped.

Good thing everyone has local admin so they could fix it. In their own ways, of course :suicide:

I think the above is a safe assumption.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

The Gods of IT just smited me for defending that outrageous ticket a couple of pages back.

I'm a trainee at an MSP, mostly doing simple hardware/software installations and studying a lot for certs.

Well, today I got handed a project that probably no one else wanted, I'm going to do helpdesk work for a bank in some project we got, while services are being phased from another MSP to ours, for the next month.

Let's see if later I repent for the sin of defending that guy, and empathize more with you guys.

Also, not knowing poo poo about the bank's structure and never having worked with ticketing software, I smell trouble.. And lots of alcohol.

Great thing is, most people will be on vacation. So I guess I'll just continue to study a lot.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Based on what our help desk does, your entire workload will be resetting passwords and transferring tickets to the appropriate queue with nothing more than the users name and the line "please assist ".

Our help desk is useless, however.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Today in KACE:

I'm setting up the first Win 8 machine within my organization, and while doing so also have to set up our KACE box to patch Win 8. To do this I have to make a 'label' to tell the patch schedule what to push out. I was going to just clone the Win 7 labels I had created and change the OS, but I've now discovered that any label I've created since the upgrade to 6.0 can no longer be changed using the label editor, it just doesn't even give me the option. So, while I can create the following new label for Windows 8 to isolate only application patches:

If I ever need to change the exact same label for Windows 7, here is the huge blob of meaningless garbage that I get to edit or recreate completely!!

quote:

select UID from KBSYS.PATCHLINK_PATCH where (((( KBSYS.PATCHLINK_PATCH.IS_APP = '1') AND ( exists (select 1 from PATCHLINK_PATCH_STATUS where PATCHLINK_PATCH.UID = PATCHLINK_PATCH_STATUS.PATCHUID and PATCHLINK_PATCH_STATUS.STATUS = '0')) ) AND ((( exists (select 1 from KBSYS.PATCHLINK_LST, KBSYS.PATCHLINK_LST_PATCH_JT where KBSYS.PATCHLINK_PATCH.UID = KBSYS.PATCHLINK_LST_PATCH_JT.PATCHUID and KBSYS.PATCHLINK_LST_PATCH_JT.LST_ID = KBSYS.PATCHLINK_LST.ID and KBSYS.PATCHLINK_LST.ID in (201,203,205,204,206,207,208,209,215,217,218,214,202,211,212,100,213,221,210,219,216,223,310,319,
316,323,301,303,305,304,306,307,308,309,315,317,318,314,302,311,312,101,313,321,32,33,36,38) )) ) and (( exists (select 1 from KBSYS.PATCHLINK_LST, KBSYS.PATCHLINK_PACKAGE, KBSYS.PATCHLINK_PACKAGE_OS_TYPE_JT where KBSYS.PATCHLINK_PATCH.UID = KBSYS.PATCHLINK_PACKAGE.PATCHUID and KBSYS.PATCHLINK_PACKAGE.FILENAME = KBSYS.PATCHLINK_PACKAGE_OS_TYPE_JT.FILENAME and KBSYS.PATCHLINK_PACKAGE_OS_TYPE_JT.OS_TYPE_ID = KBSYS.PATCHLINK_LST.OS_TYPE_ID and KBSYS.PATCHLINK_LST.ID in (201,203,205,204,206,207,208,209,215,217,218,214,202,211,212,100,213,221,210,219,216,223,310,319,
316,323,301,303,305,304,306,307,308,309,315,317,318,314,302,311,312,101,313,321,32,33,36,38) )) ))) AND KBSYS.PATCHLINK_PATCH.IMPACTID != 'Software')

:allears:

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
The problem with helpdesks is anyone remotely competent gets themselves a new job/promotion within a year or so of starting, which means that about 90% of the people on a helpdesk are the ones who are too stupid/drunk/unmotivated to actually learn anything or exert themselves in any way.

My last position, the helpdesk was outsourced to Chicago, and those mouthbreathers hosed up the whole "send the ticket to the office in which the user is physically located" on a basis so regularly that I surreptitiously checked whether or not we were operating a halfway house charity.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Today we got the news that a completely useless co-worker who was tangentially related to our IT department put in his two weeks notice. Apparently he was an IT manager in a former job but he had no idea how to removed a battery from a phone, how to add a printer or print in color, etc.

He'll be taking over the IT department at a local company. I wish I could be there to watch the meltdown. Or at least that I knew someone there so I could hear stories. :suspense:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

What issues have you had with sophos?

It hates VDI. I implemented their generic as hell guide for getting their AV product to function in a master-image VDI environment, which not only didn't work, but had the great side-effect of stopping all updates to the clients!

Their support is normally good but throw them into something other than conventional servers and desktops (or at least persistent VDI) and they either don't respond to you at all or say "please try this" and link back to the generic as hell guide which caused the problem in the first place.

I had to get my sales rep involved (after calling him over three days with no response) to get some kind of movement on the ticket. It was escalated...

... and the escalated tech said "try these steps" and links back the guide again.

The Enterprise Console is counterintuitive as hell - if I want to whitelist something I have to do it across individual OUs within Sophos' one-time copy of our AD infrastructure, then propagate it down manually. There's no allotment in the AV client to make changes locally. I get that enterprise AV is meant to be centralized but there's no "let me do this on my own" option if I'm futzing around with psexec and other sysinternals utilities (HACKING TOOLS!!11! according to Sophos). I'd have to create a separate folder for my own machine and make changes to my own policy.

We're going to Kaspersky host-based scanning when we migrate to ~the cloud~ via Peak and our Sophos contract expires. gently caress desktop AV, let the horsepower on the ESXi boxes do the heavy lifting.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

A user gave me an incorrect IP address when I was trying to connect to him. After a few failed connection attempts he said i he wasn't getting the prompt. I have him double check, he gets the right one, and we move on.

A few minutes later I get this email (paraphrased):

Twice you have attempted to target my PC. I have not asked for help and view this as a huge breach of security! Explain this IMMEDIATELY!!!

user name here
Corporate Global Security Director

I now have several emails from my bosses and a meeting invite to discuss how to prevent this from happening again. :suicide:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

"End user gave me your IP as his own. Cheers, bye".

The "Director" seems like a huge rear end in a top hat though, so good luck.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Stupidest thing I've heard all year: Shutting off the office internet at 8PM and turning it back on at 7AM for security. It also may be the CEO's way of telling employees to go home and stop working, but the way the IT guy told me this it sounds like it's not.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

evol262 posted:

Post this instead.
Holy poo poo.

quote:

Questions during Xpilot session - $20.00
I haven't heard anyone mention Xpilot in years. I used to play that all the time. Shame it's dead now.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

orange sky posted:

helpdesk work for a bank
I'm so sorry.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Renegret posted:

It has the wrong version of our ticketing system installed, the wrong hosts file, the wrong version of Java, no antivirus, and the network drive isn't mapped.

Good thing everyone has local admin so they could fix it. In their own ways, of course :suicide:

I think the above is a safe assumption.

Oh God why are you administering DNS through the HOSTS file. WHY.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Today I was the one to submit a ticket; to Salesforce

One single user's cases and no one elses were flagging up in errors, so he comes to me in a panic; I don't know what the gently caress so I figure I'll use the support.

Live chat - Unavailable
Telephone - Unresponsive
Submit case - gently caress that it'll take too long

Apparently hammering the live chat actually generated a couple of tickets and somebody noticed, the guy who popped up wasn't particularly helpful when I tried to take it up the chain he wanted to give me a call. Ok fine I asked for live support, but for reasons unknown this rear end in a top hat has trouble dialing our office number claiming it doesn't work, I tried dialing it internationally myself with my mobile and it worked fine. Eventually he got through to my personal phone, but it was a waste of time as I explained we get terrible signal reception and can't hear him.

Between reshuffling a bunch of PC's at the other end of the office first thing in the morning for the fifth time, and waiting up to an hour for replies for this ticket; I've wasted the entire day on this and the guy with the problem kept coming over crying to me how he can't get anything done, despite me reminding him I know and this is the one thing I'm dealing with (and brushing everyone else aside).

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

evol262 posted:

Post this instead.

"Fixing your "broken" optical mouse by rotating the mousepad 90 degrees -$35.00 "

Wondering how many people remember when this was a thing. It's got to have been almost 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh God why are you administering DNS through the HOSTS file. WHY.

Why would you ever need more than two or three entries? Just add Lycos and Altavista and you're done!

• Locked thread