Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Any recommendations for using 40k Chapter Tactics to represent the Chaos Legions before their turns to Chaos? Aside from using their Horus Heresy rules, I mean. Examples I've seen so far have been the Carcharodons CT for World Eaters, and Salamanders CT to represent Emperor's Children due to characters getting a master crafted weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Most assault-heavy factions aren't known for their rock-solid shooting either. It's often buckets o' dice (Orks) or 'bolt pistols' with a few low-strength blasts (Tyranids) for the most part. Not saying there isn't quality shooting in those factions because there is, it's just not spammable like 9pt BS3 Pulse Rifles.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Alpha Legion: Exorcists (lol)
Iron Warriors: Minotaurs
Word Bearers: Executioners
Night Lords: Raptors?
Death Guard: Red Scorpions
Sons of Horus: Star Phantoms
Thousand Sons: Mantis Warriors

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Alpha Legion: Exorcists (lol)

Good call. Now I know the perfect way to start collecting Alpha Legion! I'll walk up to Space Marine players and let them know some of their models were actually MY Alpha Legion models that infiltrated their army and I would like them back.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Had a real fun time playing 40k with my little bro , my nurgle csm against his Crimson Fists. Highlights included his sterngaurd wiping 4 out of my 6 nurgle bikers , and Typhus destroying an entire Terminator Squad in CC.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

HiveCommander posted:

Most assault-heavy factions aren't known for their rock-solid shooting either. It's often buckets o' dice (Orks) or 'bolt pistols' with a few low-strength blasts (Tyranids) for the most part. Not saying there isn't quality shooting in those factions because there is, it's just not spammable like 9pt BS3 Pulse Rifles.

Well, yeah because they are assault-heavy factions. But I think you are under-selling them. Orks throw a ton of shots down field even if 2/3 of them miss, and Nids can really spam mid-strength shooting. I think one of the errors many people make when playing with or against Orks and Nids is ignoring all the shooting they can bring to the table.

E: Your phrasing does a good job of acknowledging that. I like that you call them "assault heavy" instead of "assault focused" or just plain "assault."

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 21, 2014

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
speaking of ork shooting I had a shokk attack gun go vortex twice on saturday.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

That's the thing about Ork shooting. On average, it's pretty unremarkable, but it's also very swingy, so when the dice are hot, it can be devastating. Of course, it can also swing the other way, but you often expect it to be mediocre anyway. Lootas are a good example. On average, 10 of them will land 7 or 8 hits a round, but that can spike to a potential 30 hits in a round. Orks can be an absolutely ruthless source of shooting, just not reliably so.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

PeterWeller posted:

That's the thing about Ork shooting. On average, it's pretty unremarkable, but it's also very swingy, so when the dice are hot, it can be devastating. Of course, it can also swing the other way, but you often expect it to be mediocre anyway. Lootas are a good example. On average, 10 of them will land 7 or 8 hits a round, but that can spike to a potential 30 hits in a round. Orks can be an absolutely ruthless source of shooting, just not reliably so.

and it's magic to see an opponents face when your dakkajet shoots his stormraven out of the sky

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.
Anyone in the Seattle-Tacoma area play 40k? I just moved and i'm looking for a place that actually hosts wargames.

So far all I've found has been tiny storefronts with the occasional MtG group..

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
:siren: :siren: :siren:
GW Open Day Mandollies

Owns owns owns

Out of control pimp hand

..uh... orky hug zone?

Dunno how I feel about the IW contemptor, which was going to be a must buy for me when it finally came out. The head rocks, but I'm not crazy for the adhoc rivety armour look. Reminds me of orks. I can 'fix' it with green stuff, but who wants to do that to a FW model?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

Well, yeah because they are assault-heavy factions. But I think you are under-selling them. Orks throw a ton of shots down field even if 2/3 of them miss, and Nids can really spam mid-strength shooting. I think one of the errors many people make when playing with or against Orks and Nids is ignoring all the shooting they can bring to the table.

E: Your phrasing does a good job of acknowledging that. I like that you call them "assault heavy" instead of "assault focused" or just plain "assault."

Thanks. Like I mentioned, there are some really drat good shooting units in both armies (Lootas, Tankbustas, Exocrines, Biovores and Flyrants as good examples) but as opposed to a shooting-heavy army they're a lot less likely to be forcing those morale checks. Not sure how Tau are as I haven't come across them in a long while (one of our Tau players hasn't played a game in nearly two years and the other one is uh... not tactically-minded) so I'm not sure on what they have to skirt leadership tests. Last time I looked through a Tau book, Ethereals were the be-all-end-all for stopping units from running away and apparently they're no longer a liability if they die.

Not many factions seem to care about leadership tests in the current age; Fearless is becoming less prevailent (GKs and Orks losing it, for instance) and less of a kick in the groin thanks to No Retreat saves going the way of the Squats but there's still a ton of ways to sidestep falling back, even if it does mean more of your models off themselves via the new Mob Rule.

Buckets of dice are swingy as hell but the unreliable results make them that much more fun, and it's even better when a small handful of dice come up as ones for important armour saves. I'll never forget a 1250pt tournament back in 4th, when on the bottom of turn 1 I charged 5 Assault Terminators with 8 Hormagaunts and killed 4 of them :allears:

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Strength of Many posted:

Anyone in the Seattle-Tacoma area play 40k? I just moved and i'm looking for a place that actually hosts wargames.

So far all I've found has been tiny storefronts with the occasional MtG group..

I've lived here in Seattle for a few years, and I've managed to play 40k at exactly two stores, one of which doesn't seem to exist anymore.

When I play 40k in public, I typically do so on Sundays at Card Kingdom in Ballard. They have 4 nice tables with a good selection of terrain, but even on GW day (Sunday) you will have to compete against warmachine/hordes players for a spot. I also play at co-workers houses, and hopefully soon at my own house.

Feel free to PM me if you want to meet up for a game sometime!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Counts-as Yarrick?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

This.

Also I paid $30 for this so y'all should at least have the courtesy to use it when the time comes(ie now):
:vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

HiveCommander posted:

Thanks. Like I mentioned, there are some really drat good shooting units in both armies (Lootas, Tankbustas, Exocrines, Biovores and Flyrants as good examples) but as opposed to a shooting-heavy army they're a lot less likely to be forcing those morale checks. Not sure how Tau are as I haven't come across them in a long while (one of our Tau players hasn't played a game in nearly two years and the other one is uh... not tactically-minded) so I'm not sure on what they have to skirt leadership tests. Last time I looked through a Tau book, Ethereals were the be-all-end-all for stopping units from running away and apparently they're no longer a liability if they die.

Not many factions seem to care about leadership tests in the current age; Fearless is becoming less prevailent (GKs and Orks losing it, for instance) and less of a kick in the groin thanks to No Retreat saves going the way of the Squats but there's still a ton of ways to sidestep falling back, even if it does mean more of your models off themselves via the new Mob Rule.

Buckets of dice are swingy as hell but the unreliable results make them that much more fun, and it's even better when a small handful of dice come up as ones for important armour saves. I'll never forget a 1250pt tournament back in 4th, when on the bottom of turn 1 I charged 5 Assault Terminators with 8 Hormagaunts and killed 4 of them :allears:

I think they're doing a pretty good job of making Ld more important. While Demons and Orks may not fall back, they still suffer from their low Ld in other ways. Cutting back on the prevalence of fearless has the benefit of both making Ld more important and making fear and pinning more useful USRs. Really, the only place I think they have screwed up with the trend is with how punishing IB is now. They clearly think the fearless bubble is incredibly valuable, and as the game evolves, it looks to get more valuable, but that table is the shits.

And yeah, the best Hams moments come from wild swings of the dice. I'll never forget the times when a single pathfinder blew up a devilfish and the entire squad on board, winning me the game, or a pair of berserkers ravaged an entire Nid backfield, cutting down hive guard, a horde of gaunts and a tervigon.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just paid $50 for the stormclaw ork warboss. I already own 7 other warboss models. I give no fucks.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Fix posted:

Counts-as Yarrick?

This is seriously awesome. It's basically 40k.jpg

Cataphract posted:

I just paid $50 for the stormclaw ork warboss. I already own 7 other warboss models. I give no fucks.

Also, this. :feelsgood:

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 21, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Jesus the new space wolf flier is awful.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

On the one hand it looks like a modified Caestus, which is cool. On the other hand I saw a shot from the side and it's basically shaped like a dog's head.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fuegan posted:

On the one hand it looks like a modified Caestus, which is cool. On the other hand I saw a shot from the side and it's basically shaped like a dog's head.

It's also got a giant cannon in the middle called a frost beam or something idk its retarded as all hell.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Wow, yeah that thing looks terrible.

Frost beam? Is that going to be another new weapon type?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Cross-post that poo poo already!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Looks like a chubby viper from BSG.

Kinda neat.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
In the grim darkness of the far future there is no such thing as aerodynamics.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

On the other hand, following the giant walker trend from 6th it looks like with Orks and now the Wolves we've established the new unit trend for 7th edition - the 6 capacity support transport

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
helfrost destructor

I don't mind the model honestly, it reminds me a lot of a Caestus.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Normally I'm a big fan of the GW Models and the hobby aspect regardless of how bad the rules are but that is one terrible model.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
give other units ice weapons and reap my paychecks as I make a mr freeze army

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
It kinda looks like they carved a Caestus in two and replaced the crew compartment with a giant fuckoff gun.

Also,

Salty faeit212 posted:

via an anonymous source on Faeit 212
The Stormfang Gunship has the look of half of a Caestus Assault Ram, and is on the cover of next week's White Dwarf. The previous rumors really list out its abilities well. It comes with a Helfrost Destructor, two twin-linked heavy bolters, two stormstrike missiles and ceramite plating, with power of the machine spirit.

Heavy bolter upgrades to skyhammer missile launcher or two twin linked multi-meltas
stormstrike missiles can be upgraded to a twin linked lascannon.

Helfrost Destructor
Dispersed 24" S6 AP3 Hvy1, Helfrost, Large Blast
Focused 24" S8 AP1, Hvy1, Helfrost, Lance

Stormstrike Missile 72" S8 AP2 hvy1 Concussive one shot only

No idea what the so-called Helfrost special rule will do, but it seems kind of weird to be expecting a Lance weapon in an Imperial army.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Not a fan initially either, but I do like the Caestus and it's not too different. Hoping to see more angles before I write it off. Rules will play a huge part.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Huge missed opportunity.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
that thing looks dumb as poo poo. It looks like a flying shoe

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
As gw designs go this is a small thing to get annoyed by, but the missle pods will be firing exhaust right into their engine intakes, which would blow up the engines.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Drake_263 posted:

No idea what the so-called Helfrost special rule will do, but it seems kind of weird to be expecting a Lance weapon in an Imperial army.

Holy poo poo, an Imperial Flyer with a good non-lascannon gun!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I like the idea that the Wolves cut their Caestuses in half so that they would look more like boats.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I like the idea that the Wolves cut their Caestuses in half so that they would look more like boats.

Can only fit 3 Wolf Guard in Terminator armour in it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I like the new flyer, but gently caress me if I can be arsed to buy new grey hunters because they took away bolters+chainswords.

• Locked thread