Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lessail posted:

I've been watching too much UNIEL lately and would like to play it but when I get to it'll be dead :(

You could always go with getting an import copy off the Japanese PSN instead of waiting for the US version. Assuming you share with 3 other people, that's less than twenty bucks per person going by Play-Asia's rates, and even a two-way split isn't bad at all.

Edit: vvv Ouch, yeah, that's certainly a hindrance. Sorry to hear that.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

S-Alpha posted:

You could always go with getting an import copy off the Japanese PSN instead of waiting for the US version. Assuming you share with 3 other people, that's less than twenty bucks per person going by Play-Asia's rates, and even a two-way split isn't bad at all.

That'd require me to have a working ps3 first

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

UNIEL is coming to the Japanese PSN? I ordered an import copy but its probably a lot cheaper and faster to download it, huh?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Yas posted:

UNIEL is coming to the Japanese PSN? I ordered an import copy but its probably a lot cheaper and faster to download it, huh?

You only really save on shipping once you count in the cost of acquiring jp psn cards. It is faster, though!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Definitely. Maybe. If you have people to do a gameshare with, it's definitely faster and cheaper. The base game is more expensive for a physical copy (6264 vs 5800 yen), but Japanese PSN cards suffer from awful markup. 6000 JP PSN points via Play-Asia is $75 bucks, and their $61.99 copy of the game has free shipping.

Really, though, that's just a lot of words to say "just do a gameshare". There's dudes in goonsgarden looking for partners, so ask there.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Be warned that Play-Asia's free shipping will literally take 3 weeks.

Also that site SN64 linked earlier has the cheapest psn cards right now. 6000 yen for a little under 70.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Signed up.

Been wanting to practice my bad Kahn the last couple of days but everyone in the jojo's room with good ping just seems to sit there AFK.

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

Buhbuhj posted:

Be warned that Play-Asia's free shipping will literally take 3 weeks.

Also that site SN64 linked earlier has the cheapest psn cards right now. 6000 yen for a little under 70.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the suggestions. I would game-share have a few friends that will split it with me already.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Yas posted:

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the suggestions. I would game-share have a few friends that will split it with me already.

Keep in mind that you can only share an account (and thus a game) with one other person at this point. It used to be that 5 people could share an account but Sony got wise to people using that to game the system and get games super cheap.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Keep in mind that you can only share an account (and thus a game) with one other person at this point. It used to be that 5 people could share an account but Sony got wise to people using that to game the system and get games super cheap.

Except you can actually split it with up to three other people, just so long as two of them don't mind not having actual 'ownership' of the games. They can't delete and redownload it, but they can still play them just fine. It's a perfectly good system for games you know you'll only play once, or if you've got a huge HDD and just keep tons of games on there.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Hi someone needs to run jojos in my place tomorrow because I have to do adult things. If you would like to do this please tell me your challonge username and I will add you as an administrator.

If no one wants to do this there will be no jojos tourney tomorrow cool thanks bye

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

interrodactyl posted:

Hi someone needs to run jojos in my place tomorrow because I have to do adult things. If you would like to do this please tell me your challonge username and I will add you as an administrator.

If no one wants to do this there will be no jojos tourney tomorrow cool thanks bye

Just set me as admin you bum.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Buhbuhj posted:

Just set me as admin you bum.

thank you bbj you are now the lord and savior of the jojo's tournament and everyone should be forever grateful to him

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I don't have the skills to participate in the Jojo's tournament. Will there be a stream?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Soulcleaver posted:

I don't have the skills to participate in the Jojo's tournament. Will there be a stream?

don't worry, neither do any of the participants. you can watch on ggpo though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Looks like Arc Revo qualifiers are underway for Xrd, about half way through now and so far this is the character count:
3 Ramlethals
2 Chipps
2 Bedmen
2 Potemkins
2 Fausts
2 Venoms
1 Sol
1 Ky
1 Millia
1 I-no

No Ogawa yet so he'll probably make sure there's at least 1 Zato in the tournament. FAB and Consome making up the Potemkins, no surprise.

Also for fun, here's an old prototype version of Sol that wasn't used:

Also don't remember if it was mentioned or not but it was confirmed that there will be dual voice options for those who are into English dubs.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Looks like Arc Revo qualifiers are underway for Xrd, about half way through now and so far this is the character count:
3 Ramlethals
2 Chipps
2 Bedmen
2 Potemkins
2 Fausts
2 Venoms
1 Sol
1 Ky
1 Millia
1 I-no

No Ogawa yet so he'll probably make sure there's at least 1 Zato in the tournament. FAB and Consome making up the Potemkins, no surprise.

Also for fun, here's an old prototype version of Sol that wasn't used:

Also don't remember if it was mentioned or not but it was confirmed that there will be dual voice options for those who are into English dubs.

0 Slayers? :smith:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

There's a few pretty good Slayer players out there so one still might make it in. May players too. No idea about Axl, there's only one good Axl player I've even seen or heard of so far (Shoot I think was his name?) so that's pretty weak odds.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

There's a few pretty good Slayer players out there so one still might make it in. May players too. No idea about Axl, there's only one good Axl player I've even seen or heard of so far (Shoot I think was his name?) so that's pretty weak odds.

Eh, nobody played Axl in XX either

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

dont attribute malice to reasonable incompetence, and incompetence is always curable by fixing it, which happened.

they didnt fix the actual gameplay, so you're more than welcome to rag on them for that imo.

Ok, I'll bite. What's wrong with the gameplay? I rather like it!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Siets posted:

Ok, I'll bite. What's wrong with the gameplay? I rather like it!

its rps with fireworks. theres nothing wrong w/ enjoying ki and mashing but it is a Bad Competitive Game is all.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

its rps with fireworks. theres nothing wrong w/ enjoying ki and mashing but it is a Bad Competitive Game is all.

It's not rock paper scissors when you can visually read whether your opponent is coming at you with a rock, a paper, or a scissors. :rolleye:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Siets posted:

It's not rock paper scissors when you can visually read whether your opponent is coming at you with a rock, a paper, or a scissors. :rolleye:

it has grossly oversimplified homogenized defense and is needlessly loud which ruins the ability to read the game and relate useful information to the player, which causes quick burnout.

ive written enough things on why ki is a bad game in my life, sorry for oversimplifying.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

it has grossly oversimplified homogenized defense and is needlessly loud which ruins the ability to read the game and relate useful information to the player, which causes quick burnout.

ive written enough things on why ki is a bad game in my life, sorry for oversimplifying.

You have definitely posted enough on why you think KI is a bad game.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Siets posted:

This somehow makes it better?

Free combo breakers are a dumb mechanic period. They try to bill it as a footsies game where you get huge rewards but walkspeeds are bad and throws are not at all threatening (wow, what other recent game also had these problems?), so the game is a lot more about unreactable high/low and working around combo breakers, along with a lot of jumping. Resets are almost non-existent outside counter breakers because there's no return if you don't end your combos in arbitrary moves that actually make your combos do damage. The up close game consists solely of getting frame advantage and doing an unreactable high/low or frame trapping with safe, invincible supers that lead into huge combos.

Even if you do some dumb unsafe poo poo you can cancel it into Instinct or whatever or probably just break the combo or the other person will drop their combo on purpose to try to counter breaker or whatever. Just getting rid of combo breakers and the arbitrary combo enders would instantly make the game better. Hits would do more damage on average and people would die faster. It wouldn't solve the problem of the game being a sloppy jumpfest though.

My personal favorite part of KI at EVO was Maximilian saying how footsies heavy the game is while CD Jr jumped at Justin Wong 5 times in a row until Justin just got hit.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

My personal favorite part of KI at EVO was Maximilian saying how footsies heavy the game is while CD Jr jumped at Justin Wong 5 times in a row until Justin just got hit.

Change the names around and this describes every SFxT tournament, I swear to god.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jmcrofts posted:

Change the names around and this describes every SFxT tournament, I swear to god.

ya its almost as if the problems that plague ki also end up making sfxt work out the same way.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
when will people realize that ability to reposition yourself at a reasonable speed adds a huge level of complexity to every single move because now you can weave between ranges and bait stuff out you couldnt do before, or move in to punish things you couldnt which gives both sets of players more options instead of tank along and hope your buttons are better than the other dudes buttons until someone gets hit. this is where melee gets 100% of its depth from.

or that throws incentive landing hits and making the game actually fast because at close range you now have a complex risk reward system instead of "do the fast move with good frame advantage or the mixup" 99% of the time bc now you have to factor in moving out of throw range or stuffing throws with certain moves or god forbid jumping.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

when will people realize that ability to reposition yourself at a reasonable speed adds a huge level of complexity to every single move because now you can weave between ranges and bait stuff out you couldnt do before, or move in to punish things you couldnt which gives both sets of players more options instead of tank along and hope your buttons are better than the other dudes buttons until someone gets hit. this is where melee gets 100% of its depth from.

or that throws incentive landing hits and making the game actually fast because at close range you now have a complex risk reward system instead of "do the fast move with good frame advantage or the mixup" 99% of the time bc now you have to factor in moving out of throw range or stuffing throws with certain moves or god forbid jumping.

Come to the airdasher side, where you can move however you want whenever you want*

*some restrictions apply, especially if you are playing a grappler

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't play grapplers in airdashers unless their name is Potemkin

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

interrodactyl posted:

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Goons Game Poorly Online - JJBA

Tournament #3 is on Tuesday.

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/EdDqEjxCud

Game: JOPJOPBIZARROPIZZA
System: PC (via GGPO)
Date: Tuesday, July 22 2014
Time: 9:30pm EST

Reminder, this poo poo is TONIGHT. If you wanna sign up you still have time. Also please be good, don't let Mariah win another jopjos tourney.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

vibratingsheep posted:

Come to the airdasher side, where you can move however you want whenever you want*

*some restrictions apply, especially if you are playing a grappler

as if i dont already play guilty gear competitively

i was boppin people with pot before you grew outta jncos

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Beef Waifu posted:

Don't play grapplers in airdashers unless their name is Cerebella

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

as if i dont already play guilty gear competitively

i was boppin people with pot before you grew outta jncos

I, too, am an old Guilty Gear man. I was sticking my fingers up everyone's rear end tho.

e: Anyway, with UNIEL, P4A2, and Xrd all coming out soon, and BBCP's post-Evo momentum, it's been a great time to get on the soapbox and extol the virtues of [insert airdasher of choice].

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 22, 2014

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

So I just went through the entire thread. You haven't actually written too terribly much on KI, you just have a consistent streak of hating on it.

You seem like a decent dude though (you actually understand Melee at a competitive level and are willing to stand up for it in the thread despite that being an unpopular opinion.)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i posted about it in the lets play pro fgs thread

also i started skimming for ki posts and started reading this and thought "why didnt siets see this one"

The particles and the backgrounds were absolutely too loud. Visual loudness should be representative of importance. IE: Playable characters should be colorful and have high contrast in comparison to backgrounds, and not blend in (Skullgirls has this same problem with custom lighting which is beyond dumb from a game play perspective bc it diminishes color/shape division contrast). Particle loudness should be appropriate to move power. For example, an ultra should makes super bright, spacious particles with explosive effect, but a jab should impart a weak but noticeable particle to indicate that yes, the move hit, but serve the idea that the move is weak through emphasis.

The more immediacy that something calls for, the more priority it should get on the "loudness meter" as well. Things like fireballs should overwrite any particle effect unless gameplay has paused for that particle.

and it turns out it was about cross tekken lmao

its like the ki dev team never saw that agme

anime was right fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 22, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Beef Waifu posted:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

http://store.madcatz.com/Promotions/?summer-sizzle-us

MadCatz Fightstick PRO and KE Edition sticks for 99.99 again with free shipping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004