Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Orv posted:

They're essentially lying straight up, because you can enable controller support with a couple ini tweaks. It doesn't work in menus of any kind, but the dude parts of the game work fine. This holds true for all three ME games on PC.
I don't know what you mean by "the dude parts" but I cracked up.

In the end, I bought Divinity: OS. It's pretty sweet, but it has some old-school annoyances, like no input on where to go to buy new equipment in the first town. How was I supposed to guess that it was a woman on the second floor of the mess hall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't know what you mean by "the dude parts" but I cracked up.

In the end, I bought Divinity: OS. It's pretty sweet, but it has some old-school annoyances, like no input on where to go to buy new equipment in the first town. How was I supposed to guess that it was a woman on the second floor of the mess hall?

You know, where you're running about and shooting things. The dude parts. Or the dudette parts, if you're playing Mass Effect correctly. :v:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

By exploring.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Thingyman posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-16-bioware-explains-why-pc-mass-effect-3-doesnt-support-gamepads

They claim that it was too expensive to add it to the PC version. How loving expensive could it possibly be. There's no way Unreal doesn't support it in the back-end and all the front-end poo poo was already developed for the console version.
Don't forget that they hosed up Garrus' hi-rez face texture and couldn't be bothered fixing it because it would of been a multi-gig patch. Which was later fixed like this http://forum.bioware.com/topic/224549-garrus-face-fix-in-me1-without-texmod-you-dont-need-it/
:bravo:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Bioware really thinks they can get away with anything these days despite pissing away all their goodwill that they accrued before the KOTOR years.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Drifter posted:

By exploring.
Yeah, I have nothing against that, but when a building says "mess hall" in front of it, I decide that I don't need to go in for now, because I'm looking for a place that sells weapons, not food.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Orv posted:

You know, where you're running about charging about and shooting things punching everything. The dude parts. Or the dudette parts, if you're playing Mass Effect correctly. :v:

Vanguard 4 lyfe.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I have nothing against that, but when a building says "mess hall" in front of it, I decide that I don't need to go in for now, because I'm looking for a place that sells weapons, not food.

There's also Esmerelda's huge shop in the middle of town.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

VodeAndreas posted:

There's also Esmerelda's huge shop in the middle of town.
Wait, what? Where?

Anyway, people said she's in jail, so I assume her shop isn't operating anyway.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finished Strider. Game owned the whole way through, including the ending where you ride the corpse of the final boss back to earth

Double helix isn't total garbage after all

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait, what? Where?

It is more a case of house arrest, to be fair.

There is also the market in the middle of town with a few merchants (including the vendors for ranger/water/wind skills), and you can buy stuff from Aureus and the cat wizard as well.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait, what? Where?

One of the big buildings, I think it's next to the mayor's house near where you found the mess hall.

She should be in her store at the start of the game, but a lot of people are suspicious about her.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Okay I finally grabbed Doom 3 out of curiosity from that sale (yes, the original) and I can't seem to get the all-important duct tape mod to work. Sikkmod works just fine, but I've put the duct tape mod's pak009.pk4 into the Doom 3\base folder and it's not showing up in the mods list, nor do I have a flashlight attached to the shotgun now that I've got it. What am I doing wrong?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I swear Galbalan's AI is sentient or something.

"Oh, got to my second phase with almost all your first lifebar intact? Hope you learned how to dodge my hardest move, fucker."

And just now he followed up the ice platforms with the fireballs three times in a row with like two hits until his second phase.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 21, 2014

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Quest For Glory II posted:

Finished Strider. Game owned the whole way through, including the ending where you ride the corpse of the final boss back to earth

Double helix isn't total garbage after all

Started playing this yesterday. It's pretty great but I'm really loving confused as to what is going on, I feel like I missed a cutscene explaining what the hell I am and why I'm on this weird planet or whatever. I feel like I have no motivation or clue as to why the hell I'm doing anything so far.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 21, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It still sucks that Wolfenstein 2009 isn't back on the store. I bought it on Steam shortly before it got pulled, but didn't really play it until this week after Kragger gifted me The New Order, which prompted me to finally play the previous game. I am really liking it so far, even if hard is really easy. But at the same time while there are mods that I guess make it harder in hard...it way to satisfying to mow down wave after wave of Nazi with a plasma canon to care.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

by astral

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait, what? Where?

Also if you want to get paid and have a rogue, go invisible (impunity for from stealing)' and rob all the bloody artwork. Hell even steal the paintings from that painter guy in the town square and then sell it back to him for profit. Rinse and repeat.

E: Also invest in the skill that let's you talk to animals... So much going on the animal kingdom.... Some my best friends are pets.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait, what? Where?

Lots of people sell poo poo in town, it's not just one place. Also if you have a rogue steal everything while you're invisible.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh hey, another open world survival sandbox game with craftingzzzzzzzz

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also speaking of Divinity, is there no night in this game? Is there some way to advance time that I can't see? If no one is ever going to be asleep, how will I sneak into their house and take stuff (as is required for an early quest)?

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also speaking of Divinity, is there no night in this game? Is there some way to advance time that I can't see? If no one is ever going to be asleep, how will I sneak into their house and take stuff (as is required for an early quest)?

Talk to them with one party member then control another and use c to sneak is one option.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Rirse posted:

It still sucks that Wolfenstein 2009 isn't back on the store. I bought it on Steam shortly before it got pulled, but didn't really play it until this week after Kragger gifted me The New Order, which prompted me to finally play the previous game. I am really liking it so far, even if hard is really easy. But at the same time while there are mods that I guess make it harder in hard...it way to satisfying to mow down wave after wave of Nazi with a plasma canon to care.
Just curious, but is Wolf09 and TNO supposed to be related in anyway? I heard TNO is disconnected from RTCW though, is that correct as well?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

ZearothK posted:

It is more a case of house arrest, to be fair.

There is also the market in the middle of town with a few merchants (including the vendors for ranger/water/wind skills), and you can buy stuff from Aureus and the cat wizard as well.
Make notes on your map for the different skill sellers so you can remember where they are. The games thread for it also has a list of the sellers in spoiler tags if you want.

Samurai Sanders posted:

No day cycle; they said in a note somewhere that people didn't do schedules because it'd be too difficult, and if the day cycle didn't do anything except for lighting, why bother putting it in. You can still be a sneaky rear end in a top hat pretty easily from my experience so far.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Sober posted:

Just curious, but is Wolf09 and TNO supposed to be related in anyway? I heard TNO is disconnected from RTCW though, is that correct as well?

As I understand it, TNO is a sequel to 09. And I guess 09 is a sequel to Return to Castle Wolfenstein?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sober posted:

Direct sequel.

e;fb

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Orv posted:

Direct sequel.

e;fb

It's a direct sequel in such that a single character (besides Deathshead that is) from Wolfenstein '09 comes back and barely mentions the previous game though.

In other words, yes, a direct sequel for a video game.

Also, Bioware's attitudes towards a lot of small-ish things in their games can be summed up as "Did they?" followed by "No."

"Did they bother tweaking their model animations for anything beside default male so you don't end up with bigger models clipping through everything and smaller models hovering above everything?" "No."

"Did they ever bother adding new animations since ME1 to conversations to go with the more expressive and numerous lines?" "No."

Whoever came up with the idea of having characters actually move around the Normandy and actually have to move their models in different positions (like "sitting" and "leaning against something") in ME3 must have fought like a madman for it.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 21, 2014

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al8TlAtLu2Y

Buy it here in a weekish

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

So I guess the story with the duct tape mod is that it was originally distributed as pak008, before the final update to the game added an inbuilt pak008 with some grenade scripts of some sort -- hence the duct tape mod is now distributed as pak009.

Having it in the directory as pak009 doesn't work.

Transplanting the file contents of pak009 into the game's provided pak008, also doesn't work.

Overwriting the provided pak008 with a renamed pak009, and thusly sabotaging other functionality within the game? Works.

why in the gently caress:psypop:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

So I guess the story with the duct tape mod is that it was originally distributed as pak008, before the final update to the game added an inbuilt pak008 with some grenade scripts of some sort -- hence the duct tape mod is now distributed as pak009.

Having it in the directory as pak009 doesn't work.

Transplanting the file contents of pak009 into the game's provided pak008, also doesn't work.

Overwriting the provided pak008 with a renamed pak009, and thusly sabotaging other functionality within the game? Works.

why in the gently caress:psypop:
Because you touch yourself at night. At least that's what I always assume with bizarre software problems.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Actually my mistake, it wasn't working at all -- if I strip the grenade scripts from the folder, the duct tape mod will stat setting me back to the last loading zone as if it were working, but is in fact just setting me back to the loading zone for shits and giggles while I remain duct tapeless.

Should've just bought BFG Edition after all. v:geno:v

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Duct Tape Mod is for whiners anyways

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Definitely hurts the experience. Game's designed around picking out the glowy bits on enemies and using those in combat/to navigate. Can understand why the duct tape mod is popular, but I'm one of those die hards who loves the 'default' D3 experience.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Hat Thoughts posted:

Duct Tape Mod is for whiners anyways
I played through it with Sikkmod and no duct tape mod recently, the game is still quite good and the duct tape mod is probably pretty unnecessary. Light level is part of the difficulty and you can just use Doom sonar anyway.

Doom sonar being the meaty sound of shotgun shells ripping through demon flesh. The game is very very rarely dark where combat is actually difficult anyway.

Sober posted:

Bioware really thinks they can get away with anything these days despite pissing away all their goodwill that they accrued before the KOTOR years.
Bioware is really overrated, they're like a living effigy of nostalgia or something.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Spiderdrake posted:

Bioware is really overrated, they're like a living effigy of nostalgia or something.

But Mass Effect was awesome.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Oh hey, another open world survival sandbox game with craftingzzzzzzzz

What is it I need to collect them all they're like Pokémon. Does this one have blocks and flying? It's totally unique if it does. Are there Zombies I feel like zombie open world crafting block games are totally overplayed.
We need more steam punk inspired shump rougelike open world block games with crafting (early access as well)

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
I didn't even realize Mount Your Friends was even Greenlit, but here it is coming out in a week. This looks like a day one purchase for me, since my friends and I love homoerotic crazy competitive physics games.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lonely Rolling Star posted:

I didn't even realize Mount Your Friends was even Greenlit, but here it is coming out in a week. This looks like a day one purchase for me, since my friends and I love homoerotic crazy competitive physics games.
This will be the new viral hit on Steam. Also I can't wait for nerd retard tears :allears:.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm so glad "My Sonic OCs the game" is actually making it to release

http://store.steampowered.com/app/248310/

You know... I could seriously do without the giant anime eyes that take up half of the poor girls' skulls, and the random Japanese in the title is a bit off-putting (isn't it an American dev?) but I'm damned if that doesn't look fun! Seems like it would scratch the Sonic itch nicely.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

To be fair Sonic's head is so filled with eyeballs they overlap in the middle of his face, so anime eyes are probably a step back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Spiderdrake posted:

The new post-EA Bioware is a bit underrated in my books. I couldn't really stand their older games like Baldur's Gate, Jade Empire and KOTOR 1, whereas the newer titles are much more exciting to play.

• Locked thread