Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

You don't need another lens, you need a clue :69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

grack posted:

but whatever.

The point is, think before you shoot. You clearly do not do this yet. It comes in time. Respect your loving elders.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Even if the glass isn't noticeably crooked, the woodwork is. Also, those tall buildings on the right side of the picture are a little distracting.

Milk Sky by totalnewbie1, on Flickr

I wanted to just shoot the gradient of the sky. I took it out the plane window and didn't have a hood or filter, which I wonder might have helped with the artifacts from the sun? I did tweak it a bit in LR because the picture as-shot was a bit washed out. I also rotated it 1 degree CCW because it looked a little crooked. Feels much better, now.

(Unrotated version:
Milky Sky by totalnewbie1, on Flickr)

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
^^^^^ I like the colours, but I think you should get your horizont straight, it feels a little off. It also doesn't do much for me. the photo looks pretty, but there's nothing in the frame that moves me, that manages to keep my attention on the picture longer. Maybe you can get some stars to show with some editing? That would look great, the first thing I thought about when reading the name was "nice, going to see the milky way".

Finally started to scan some negatives from january... I'm getting started in the whole post-processing thing, so comments regarding that are especially appreciated. Those are only levels, curves and some unsharp mask.

DSC08144 por Primosky, no Flickr

DSC08140 por Primosky, no Flickr

DSC08150 por Primosky, no Flickr

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Primo Itch posted:

^^^^^ I like the colours, but I think you should get your horizont straight, it feels a little off. It also doesn't do much for me. the photo looks pretty, but there's nothing in the frame that moves me, that manages to keep my attention on the picture longer. Maybe you can get some stars to show with some editing? That would look great, the first thing I thought about when reading the name was "nice, going to see the milky way".

Thanks for the comments. I was hoping it would get dark so I could get some stars but, unfortunately, it never did. Somehow. I guess that happens while flying the over-Alaska route during high summer. I didn't think about the Milky Way when I named it. I just thought the colors looked a little like actual milk (maybe because it was a bit more washed out as-shot, hah.)

How can/should I level the picture in this case? There's no real sharp horizon, so do I just eye-ball it, basically?

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Primo Itch posted:

Finally started to scan some negatives from january... I'm getting started in the whole post-processing thing, so comments regarding that are especially appreciated. Those are only levels, curves and some unsharp mask.

Learn how to spot out dust on your scans.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Dusted this would be dope as hell.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Milk Sky by totalnewbie1, on Flickr

I wanted to just shoot the gradient of the sky. I took it out the plane window and didn't have a hood or filter, which I wonder might have helped with the artifacts from the sun? I did tweak it a bit in LR because the picture as-shot was a bit washed out. I also rotated it 1 degree CCW because it looked a little crooked. Feels much better, now.

I really like this. The horizon of the clouds being so low in the frame make it feel huge. For me, I think it works better without it being darker/having stars. I'm a sucker for the shades of blue in the gradient of the sky you managed to capture, probably why I like it so much. I don't know if its the artifacts that you mention, or some marks on the cabin window you took it from, but about 1/3 of the way up in the centre I see what looks like finger prints/a hand print? Once you've noticed them its hard to not see them.

Rest by d4damson, on Flickr
I found this amongst a bunch of motorcycle racing shots. All the gravestones were so old they either had no text any more or you couldnt make it out. The stained white headstone just caught my eye. I liked the detail in it compared to the others. I tried to make it feel a little hazy and muted, but I'm not sure it worked as well as I wanted.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Pinny posted:

Rest by d4damson, on Flickr
I found this amongst a bunch of motorcycle racing shots. All the gravestones were so old they either had no text any more or you couldnt make it out. The stained white headstone just caught my eye. I liked the detail in it compared to the others. I tried to make it feel a little hazy and muted, but I'm not sure it worked as well as I wanted.

Please post a real sized photo. "Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo." from the thumb, appears to be underwhelming. Id give more of a indepth crit but its private in flickr. I can say that some gray junk at the bottom of the frame is very distracting and should be cropped out.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
oops sorry, didn't notice it was private, should be public now

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pinny posted:

oops sorry, didn't notice it was private, should be public now

Agreed with above that the chunk at the bottom (car roof?) is the only thing I can see in the picture. It just sort of sits down there drawing attention to itself like a wrong note.

Blues, whites:

Barn by mattphilpott, on Flickr

This fish's poor eye. :(

Sheepshead by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Stop by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Huxley fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 13, 2014

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Quote is not edit.

E: Filling with something:

This is really cool.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 13, 2014

Ark
Aug 20, 2000

This is loving brilliant, really feels like the puppet is alive (it is a puppet right?).

Haven't been taking many pictures as of late and the few times I've had there's been nothing that has tickled me aside from this one, a little.

Untitled by ProWessler, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Ark posted:

Haven't been taking many pictures as of late and the few times I've had there's been nothing that has tickled me aside from this one, a little.

Untitled by ProWessler, on Flickr

I actually rather like this; I've been admiring window-reflection-shots a lot recently, and I like what the umbrella's color is doing here.

Huxley posted:

This fish's poor eye. :(

Sheepshead by mattphilpott, on Flickr

I wouldn't have noticed the eye if you hadn't pointed it out. I dig the angle and wideness of the shot. Dude seems quite intimidating.

I took a couple pictures of my brother while I was on the west coast.

Mr Martin by thetzar, on Flickr

Pellethead
Aug 12, 2013
^^^ I definitely prefer the black and white version, it gives it a grittier feel. The color version hits me like a snapshot (albeit a well done one) but the black and white rendition tells a story. I'm a little disconcerted by him looking out of the frame, though. I wonder if it would look more balanced with him looking in the other direction instead.

Pellethead fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 15, 2014

Pellethead
Aug 12, 2013
Here's a quick "almost missed it" shot I got while learning depth of field adjustments. I'm happy with the composition in general and I got the depth of field just like I wanted. However, I'm annoyed that I didn't pull out more color and the feathers aren't quite as sharp as I would want. I am not super experienced, and was shooting aperture priority mode here so I imagine I need to override the shutter speed next time. It didn't help that this was a fairly long zoom and handheld.

Early Bird by Gary Foster, on Flickr

Pellethead fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 15, 2014

murp
May 30, 2007

thetzar posted:

I actually rather like this; I've been admiring window-reflection-shots a lot recently, and I like what the umbrella's color is doing here.

I wouldn't have noticed the eye if you hadn't pointed it out. I dig the angle and wideness of the shot. Dude seems quite intimidating.

I took a couple pictures of my brother while I was on the west coast.

The first one is much better. I like the B&w treatment, the expression, and the focus area. However, portraits in landscape orientation don't usually work for me unless you are showing some kind of action.

Some quick shots I took of a friends car from this weekend. I keep feeling like I may have pushed the saturation a little too far when I look at these.

DSC_0803 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

DSC_0807 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

DSC_0806 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Huxley posted:

Blues, whites:

Barn by mattphilpott, on Flickr

The framing is off, and the shadows darken the building in a distracting way. Cropping just a few pixels off the bottom would get rid of the thin strips of window frame without taking away any of the purpose of the image. But even better would be to take a few steps to the right to eliminate the roof visible on the left edge. Better still would be to try (if possible) to get a different angle of light so the front of the building isn't cast in such hard shadows. I love the sky and clouds, and the white balance is great. And I'm a sucker for (what looks to be) New England ocean shacks.

922838_922838-R1-00-0 edit by majour333, on Flickr

Only registered members can see post attachments!

majour333 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 16, 2014

beneatsfood
Feb 19, 2008

I would have liked to see something else besides geometry. More context would make this stronger.

DSC00317 by Ben Boshart, on Flickr

DSC00263 by Ben Boshart, on Flickr

An impending storm at the Virginia Beach oceanfront.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Pellethead posted:

Here's a quick "almost missed it" shot I got while learning depth of field adjustments. I'm happy with the composition in general and I got the depth of field just like I wanted. However, I'm annoyed that I didn't pull out more color and the feathers aren't quite as sharp as I would want. I am not super experienced, and was shooting aperture priority mode here so I imagine I need to override the shutter speed next time. It didn't help that this was a fairly long zoom and handheld.

Early Bird by Gary Foster, on Flickr

Yeah, a faster shutter speed would've helped with the blurriness. I know you said you like the composition but I think I would like the photo more if it was a bit more off-center, and that pole in the background is a little bit distracting to me cause of where it's placed.

murp posted:

Some quick shots I took of a friends car from this weekend. I keep feeling like I may have pushed the saturation a little too far when I look at these.

It does feel a bit over-saturated, but I've seen cars that colour and they do really pop out. I'm not experienced but it looks like these were shot midday? The lighting seems harsh. I like the contrast of the blue against the red bricks, makes the colour of the car stand out more.

beneatsfood posted:

An impending storm at the Virginia Beach oceanfront.

The first is more pleasing to me cause of the surfer in the foreground. How did you get that angle of the beach?

Sandcut by badmountain, on Flickr

Yakitori by badmountain, on Flickr

Cowichan Sunset 2 by badmountain, on Flickr

The last one I wish I squatted down or moved to the left more to get more separation between the branch and the forest. I took a bunch of just the lake and sky but they looked a little bland without something in the foreground.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You should clone that branch out.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
fuuuuuck okay

beneatsfood
Feb 19, 2008

quote:

Yakitori by badmountain, on Flickr

I would have closed up the aperture to get a deeper depth of field. I'm looking at a bit of interesting information that I'm missing out on because of a narrow DOF. you were at 500th of a second so you could have at least gone to f5.6

quote:

Cowichan Sunset 2 by badmountain, on Flickr

While most people would tell you to shop out the stick, it is the only aspect that establishes a foreground in the image.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I think he just means the lowest bit that sort of touches the trees. It can be a little offputting, I guess, because it almost looks like that branch is trying to pet the tree line or something.

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here

murp posted:

The first one is much better. I like the B&w treatment, the expression, and the focus area. However, portraits in landscape orientation don't usually work for me unless you are showing some kind of action.

DSC_0807 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

DSC_0806 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

I think the color saturation is actually just about right for that kind of subject. It really makes the car pop, which is what the photo should convey. I think your second shot is by far the strongest. The first leaves too much negative space, and to my eye it takes focus off the car. On the third I don't really see anything all that exciting about the front of the car. The rims aren't that interesting and the lines of the front quarter panel and hood aren't really all that dynamic. I don't know if the light would have allowed for it, but taking a straight on shot of the passenger side (U.S. orientation) of the car with the red brick wall as a backdrop would have really been a clean shot that made the car really pop.

In an effort to be more disciplined I have been shooting film just lately.

Tri-X 400

FlatTop by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

Tri-X 400

FlowerPods by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

BW400CN

Rat Race by noonebutme2010, on Flickr

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Purchased a Rebel t3i earlier this month to learn photography. My wife found an article about a covered bridge 30 minutes from us so I figured it would be good for some practice. Spent the afternoon shooting her and my son, but out of about 400 pictures, only really liked about 20 of them. (Is that normal?)

With the first I think I should have gotten rid of the graffiti on the bridge.

I feel my son looks a little bit underexposed in the second one. Also, right behind him there is a 3 foot waterfall, but at the angle I shot it feels like you can barely tell it's there.

IMG_1131 by c.boz, on Flickr

IMG_1370 by c.boz, on Flickr

Johnny Reb
Mar 9, 2013

I would crop that a tiny bit, just to bring out the subject a little more. Other than that, I like the length of it, the slight fisheye effect really fits it.

I got a new lens.

Image data says that was at 50mm, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't. Why it says anything is strange to me, because it's an unchipped Tamron 35-210. Got it for nothing by trading in a meh Tamron 28-200 at the camera store I work at.

I'm pretty proud of the crop job I did on this, and pretty happy at the detail my D600 retained in the crop.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

boz posted:

Purchased a Rebel t3i earlier this month to learn photography. My wife found an article about a covered bridge 30 minutes from us so I figured it would be good for some practice. Spent the afternoon shooting her and my son, but out of about 400 pictures, only really liked about 20 of them. (Is that normal?)

With the first I think I should have gotten rid of the graffiti on the bridge.

I feel my son looks a little bit underexposed in the second one. Also, right behind him there is a 3 foot waterfall, but at the angle I shot it feels like you can barely tell it's there.

IMG_1131 by c.boz, on Flickr

IMG_1370 by c.boz, on Flickr

Welcome to the world of photography. Shooting that many and getting only some that you're happy with is perfectly normal, especially when you're new and experimenting around to learn the camera. Over time you'll find that the number of "keepers" goes up, but it's still a good idea to share only the best of the best.

On the first one I'm not distracted by the grafitti on the bridge. I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out. I think that black and white was a good choice on this one, it helps to emphasize the figure/ground thing you have going on with her against the water. Placement of her beneath the window and missing board (pointing down) is good too, leads the eye from the bridge to her. I would wonder about darkening the sky in the top right with a graduated filter in lightroom to pull the eye back down--it's kind of a 'hot' spot in the image.

The second one I think would be much better if shot with a nifty 50. Even on the long end of the kit lens, shooting at f/5.6 doesn't provide a lot of separation between your son and the background--a wider aperture would help with that. Are you selecting the focus point or relying on the camera to select it? He also looks a little out of focus--I think I'm seeing more sharpness on the rocks behind him.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Shellman posted:

The second one I think would be much better if shot with a nifty 50. Even on the long end of the kit lens, shooting at f/5.6 doesn't provide a lot of separation between your son and the background--a wider aperture would help with that. Are you selecting the focus point or relying on the camera to select it? He also looks a little out of focus--I think I'm seeing more sharpness on the rocks behind him.

Thanks for the welcome and input.

I actually had the camera on auto (i know, bad) for the second picture. It was kind of frantic, with my wife standing just outside the frame just in case he decided to jump in the water.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Johnny Reb posted:

Image data says that was at 50mm, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't. Why it says anything is strange to me, because it's an unchipped Tamron 35-210. Got it for nothing by trading in a meh Tamron 28-200 at the camera store I work at.

Posting again and still not contributing any of my own work cause I haven't edited anything recently. I really like this shot--the telephoto serves well to compress the perspective of the image and reduce it to a simple treatment of fields of color. It feels very balanced, and in addition to the simple forms you've got some nice diagonals in there crossing each other. Is the ball quite centered? Looks like the center of the image is a bit low and to the left of the center of the ball. It could be that shifting it slightly threw off the sense of balance because of the shadow, though. I'd like to see what else you could come up with playing with the telephoto effect to create abstractions of simple shapes and color.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Ark posted:

This is loving brilliant, really feels like the puppet is alive (it is a puppet right?).

Yeah, it looked really creepy and dead when it was in pieces.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

Could you turn the color temperature down on that (and maybe even the original shot)? They're very orange.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Johnny Reb posted:

I'm pretty proud of the crop job I did on this, and pretty happy at the detail my D600 retained in the crop.

Why are you proud of it? It's a boring centred composition, there's a line bisecting the subject's head, the frame is so tight to the subject there's no room for it to breathe, and it's square but should be landscape orientation.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Bubbacub posted:

A bit shallow on the depth of field on this one for me.

I grew and took pictures of a pretty nice looking Dahlia

White Dahlia by jmorris4371, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Johnny Reb posted:

I would crop that a tiny bit, just to bring out the subject a little more. Other than that, I like the length of it, the slight fisheye effect really fits it.

I got a new lens.

I wouldnt be. Its boring and uninteresting. Doesnt invoke anything from me other than "delete this". Are you just impressed by your pixel count? Cool? No one else is. Its just a underwhelming snapshot. You should learn not to lean on your pixels for cropping and get in their tighter on your own by either zooming with your lens or feet.

I too am curious why you are proud of this shot.

Bubbacub posted:

Something about your WB and dof bothers me on this. It just seems poorly shot.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Phummus posted:

A bit shallow on the depth of field on this one for me.

I grew and took pictures of a pretty nice looking Dahlia

White Dahlia by jmorris4371, on Flickr

I think it's a pretty cool shot. My suggestion would be to off center the flower and set a smaller DOF to blur the background.

As for my lizard, I'm a little pissed I didn't get him with a better background because I think it would have been a nearly perfect shot otherwise. The eye should have probably been closer to one of the rule of thirds intersections. Any other thoughts?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

huhu posted:

I think it's a pretty cool shot. My suggestion would be to off center the flower and set a smaller DOF to blur the background.

Why do you say that? Looks to me like a subject that's practically designed for a centered square crop.

beneatsfood
Feb 19, 2008

I think you should start to think about how light interacts with what we shoot. The bokeh isn't helping establish the kick rear end shot you know you can get. Establish some depth and scale. Shoot in RAW if you have that capability so you can have a bit more head room for adjusting exposures if you need to push it one way or the other.

IMG_6686 by Ben Boshart, on Flickr

DSC00510 by Ben Boshart, on Flickr

some night time portraiture. The first one is an older one from my Rebel T3, and the second is from my A7.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I really enjoy with capturing raw details, in my mind I am doing that thing you do to a wash cloth, twisting out every last drop of water (or in this case, sharpness). Like those old black and white photos of industrial stuff in a full page ad in a magazine.

_DSC4419 by Duke of Medway, on Flickr

_DSC4326 by Duke of Medway, on Flickr

_DSC4333 by Duke of Medway, on Flickr

D7000 with the '35mm' prime lens. I like it a lot, and would love to hear other methods of squeezing out that raw-detail of subject matter, normally non-humans!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

404notfound posted:

Why do you say that? Looks to me like a subject that's practically designed for a centered square crop.

I was contemplating whether to try and give critiques or just go "I'm new to this" and should have just chosen the latter. I see what you're saying.