Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

serious gaylord posted:

As gw designs go this is a small thing to get annoyed by, but the missle pods will be firing exhaust right into their engine intakes, which would blow up the engines.

Is that better or worse than the autocannons which would mow down all the troops trying to exit a Taurox? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Depending on points cost it looks like that thing can be given a truly intimidating amount of firepower.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NTRabbit posted:

Is that better or worse than the autocannons which would mow down all the troops trying to exit a Taurox? :v:

Worse imo, at least you could argue the autocannons wouldnt be firing when people are jumping out of it.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
In classic "we made a kit and then forced an awkward variant onto the same chassis" design, the Stormwolf variant looks a lot better and makes a lot more sense.

edit:

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 21, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Miles O'Brian posted:

In classic "we made a kit and then forced an awkward variant onto the same chassis" design, the Stormwolf variant looks a lot better and makes a lot more sense.

NTRabbit posted:

On the other hand, following the giant walker trend from 6th it looks like with Orks and now the Wolves we've established the new unit trend for 7th edition - the dual kit 6 capacity support transport

EFA

Morkanught/Gorkanught, Stormfang/Stormwolf, it's officially the 7th thing. Looking forward to my eventual Storm Wraith/Storm Serpent 6 capacity hover support transport.

:allears: he's adorable, let's call him Mr. Russypants

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
FWIW, the Stormwolf apparently holds 15, not 6.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You guys are nuts that thing owns.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I usually love GWs stupid poo poo but even I can't get on board with that thing.

fake edit: wolf wolf wolf fang wolf wolf wolf

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I like that it looks like a BFG assault boat but assault boats aren't supposed to be hyper maneuverable atmospheric flyers and this apparently is.

It'd be cool if it were limited to a 45 degree turn and could smash into stuff on the ground, but I'm guessing it isn't. :vomarine:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its immune to melta effects too so its going to be a nightmare to shoot down like the Storm Raven.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Dark Angels will get a good flyer too, right guys?

R-right? :smith:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Slimnoid posted:

Dark Angels will get a good flyer too, right guys?

R-right? :smith:

Atleast it looks good :v:

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

DJ Dizzy posted:

Atleast it looks good :v:

I'll take this bargain. I look forward to my lovely jets getting blasted out of the sky by this dumb thing, because getting murdered only lasts 6 turns, but being a big ugly hunk of poo poo is forever.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

ANAmal.net posted:

I'll take this bargain. I look forward to my lovely jets getting blasted out of the sky by this dumb thing, because getting murdered only lasts 6 turns, but being a big ugly hunk of poo poo is forever.

The SW flyer looks good :smith:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
The Wolfclaw-stormfang'wolfing is pretty neat, but I'd rather use the actual Caestus ram.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

That's the first thing I saw as well. I hope the other new things SW get are more Space Vikings and less Literally Wolves And Fangs Everywhere.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

DJ Dizzy posted:

I know what these words mean, but they don't make any sense in this order.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Looks like a shoe box.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Looks like a shoe box.

It's where they put the Emperor's loafers.

ANAmal.net posted:

What would it take to make the DA flyers actually worth fielding, anyway? I mean just straight-up changing the rules or point cost.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Looks like a shoe box.

It is basically a rectangle. I wonder if they'll go full Dark Angels and it'll be essentially a Stormraven with a hull gun for 400pts or if it'll be playable aka Not-Dark Angels

Germ
May 7, 2013

Fix posted:

Counts-as Yarrick?

This is the Commisar who came out of an escape hatch from an exploding nuclear missile silo, shot down an Ork plane with his bolt pistol, and then faced down and finished off a battle wagon with a death AND glory attack, no? Now he totally looks the part. You've done a really good thing here.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Drake_263 posted:

No idea what the so-called Helfrost special rule will do, but it seems kind of weird to be expecting a Lance weapon in an Imperial army.

I think the rumours point to a Strength test of some kind.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Giant metal flying wolf heads are EXACTLY the sort of thing I want to see Space Wolves field. My only complaint is that it's not ENOUGH like a wolf head!

So, thoughts on my current Tau list?

2000 Points
Codex: Tau Empire: Combined Arms Detachment
HQ
Commander--2x missile pod, drone controller, target lock, iridum crisis suit, 2x marker drone
Commander-- flamer, multi-specturm scanner, command and control, drone controller, 2x marker drone

Elites
Stealth Team-- 2x Shas'ui w/ burst cannon, 1x Shas'vre with fusion blaster and markerlight+target lock. They may also have a counterfire defense system each-- I don't have the document on hand at work (so why am I posting? Shhhhh)
Crisis team: Three suits, all 2x missiles and target lock, squad has 6 marker drones. The missile commander hangs out here

Troops:
Fire Warriors--11 pulse rifles, devilfish with disruption pod and sensor spines. An Ethereal travels with them.
Fire Warriors--12 pulse rifles, devilfish with disruption pod and sensor spines.

Heavy Support
Broadsides--3x rail rifle/smart missile system/target lock, 6x marker drones. The command and control commander hangs out with them.
Hammerhead--submuntions, disruption pod, automated repair, sensor spines

Farsight Enclaves: Allied Detachment
HQ:
Ethereal. Hangs out with those Fire Warriors from above

Elites:
Riptide--heavy burst cannon, TL fusion blaster, Earth Caste pilot array, velocity tracker, early warning override

Troops: 3x Crisis suits w/plasma rifle and fusion blaster. They may also have a counterfire defense system each-- I don't have the document on hand at work (so why am I posting? Shhhhh)

I'm thinking I might swap out the Hammerhead for something else; it hasn't been doing very much for me. I don't think I forgot anything, other than not being certain on the wargear on my suits.

(should've waited to post, but I'm bored damnit)

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
You've got to admit, it's very :jeb: in the good ole traditional Imperial school of 'triumph of thrust over aerodynamics' design. At least it's not the Land Speeder Shroud or whatever the hell the Dark Angels abomination was called - and being able to pack the gunship variant with a fuckton of high-power weapons (seriously, twin-linked lascannon, 2x TL multimelta, plus the helfrost destructor?) That thing will SAVAGE fliers and vehicles - and with PotMS you have a fairly solid shot of vaporizing one target and annoying something else with the secondary target, like a tightly-packed infantry squad with the dispersal blast on the destructor or sniping a vehicle/flier from afar with a stormstrike/lascannon shot.

I'm more concerned about the transport variant, though - can you IMAGINE the nerdrage if GW went with the Necron approach and made it a dedicated transport? Wolves would end up the 'air superiority' army for the Imperials.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Are there any heavy support vehicles pitfalls for CSM to stay away from?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Unrelated I am sad that Markerlights specify only Tau can spend the counters. I wanted to ally a unit or two of markers into an Ork army. Ork volume of fire with actual BS would be a frightening thing indeed.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are there any heavy support vehicles pitfalls for CSM to stay away from?

The Defiler, mostly. It's too expensive for what it does, although some people swear by it. The Forgefiend is a bit questionable since it could potentially blow itself up, but it can cause a lot of damage too.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

serious gaylord posted:

As gw designs go this is a small thing to get annoyed by, but the missle pods will be firing exhaust right into their engine intakes, which would blow up the engines.

I disagree, judging by how the engine intakes are 75% blocked; the engines will probably flame out well before it gets close enough to fire a missile.

Edit: The new Tyranid model from FW has some decent rules and isn't horribly priced. It’s eat rule is actually pretty beastly. It is similar to the old Red Terror rule where you just flat out eat a guy if you hit him (need one 6 to-hit instead of 4 hits). Bravo, FW. I retract my statement that its rules would be almost unusable and would be super overpriced.

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 21, 2014

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Cataphract posted:

I just paid $50 for the stormclaw ork warboss. I already own 7 other warboss models. I give no fucks.

Meanwhile I could get Killa Kanz for like $25 on eBay. Strange world. I really should stop hanging out there, though; I just picked up 20 Stormboyz for roughly 33% off. Then on Saturday, I found 3 more 4th Ed. Stormboyz, so now I could have an awful mix of 20 of the great new models and a full 20 of the poo poo ones (nobody's jumped on them yet)!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

All I'm seeing is a disgusting lack of faith in the Emperor. By His will we are carried into battle!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DJ Dizzy posted:

I like all the Space Marine flyers, it's just too bad that my favourite one is not worthwhile at all.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Esser-Z posted:

All I'm seeing is a disgusting lack of faith in the Emperor. By His will we are carried into battle!

If the Emperor was so great, he wouldn't have died on a toilet.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Space Wolves are the Orks of the Imperium, if they believe hard enough that their gear will work then by the Emperor it will work.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
I wish the Caestus had cooler rules. This doesn't look terrible to me, but I like the source design.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Bavius posted:

I wish the Caestus had cooler rules.

I have not really paid attention to any recent rule updates to it, but it is (or was) pretty drat strong. Not super complicated or fancy, just... strong.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the caestus is a loving rocket battering ram with heat cannons how much cooler can you get

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mango Polo posted:

I have not really paid attention to any recent rule updates to it, but it is (or was) pretty drat strong. Not super complicated or fancy, just... strong.

The experimental rules were so strong its one of the few times Forge World have changed them before its in a book.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Indeed, it still has a crazy reputation because of its experimental rules.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Here, have some rules sort of:

From Warseer, hence the stupid points cost bullshit:

quote:

As the post count indicates, I'm new to rumormongering, as is my source. Releasing things a bit at a time was what they wanted. Since everybody is hungry for details and 'credibility' though, I pressed them to give me everything they've got. Here it is:

Stormwolf - Fast Attack - Points = Land Raider minus 35
BS4 - F12 S12 R12 HP3 - Vehicle (Flyer, Hover, Transport)

Wargear:
Twin-linked helfrost cannon
Twin-linked lascannon
Two twin-linked heavy bolters - May be replaced with a Skyhammer launcher for free, or two twin-linked multi-meltas for 20pts
Ceramite Plating

Special Rules:
Assault Vehicle
Power of the Machine Spirit

Transport:
Transport Capacity - sixteen models
Fire Points - none
Access Points - One ramp at the front of the hull

Stormfang Gunship - Heavy Support - Points = Land Raider minus 30
BS4 - F12 S12 R12 HP3 - Vehicle (Flyer, Hover Transport)

Wargear:
Helfrost destructor
Two twin-linked heavy bolters - May be replaced with a Skyhammer launcher for free, or two twin-linked multi-meltas for 20 pts
Two Stormstrike missiles - May be replaced with a twin-linked lascannon for 15 pts
Ceramite Plating

Special Rules:
Power of the Machine Spirit

Transport:
Transport Capacity - six models
Fire Points - none
Access Points - One at rear of the hull

Helfrost cannon
dispersed - R24" S6 AP3 Heavy 1, Helfrost, Blast
focussed - R24" S8 AP1 Heavy 1, Helfrost

Helfrost destructor
dispersed - R24" S6 AP3 Heavy 1, Helfrost, Large Blast
focussed - R24" S8 AP1 Heavy 1, Helfrost, Lance

Helfrost - If a model suffers one or more unsaved wounds from this weapon, it must pass a separate Strength test for each wound suffered or be removed from play

Personally, I don't hate it, but I don't love it. I thought the Stormraven would have a hard time getting off the ground, but this is even sillier. It's cool but not cool enough for me to break out my Space Wolves again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Miles O'Brian posted:

That does look far better. The god damned gun hat on top of the cockpit can be fixed easily enough.

*Rubs his eyes, oh, it's behind the cockpit. :downs: Not bad.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 21, 2014

• Locked thread